Need a new sys!

Orea

32 posts in this topic

Hey, as you can see by my sig i have lots of money to spend on a sys!

I would prefer a custom built pc! but i will consider a mac!

Please can you surggest parts and bits that x86 compat! -- and that are the best!

Thanks alot

BaYLisS

How about a Mac Pro?

I was playing around with configurations, 2 x dual 3 Ghz, 4 gb of ram, 2 x 500 gb hard drives, ATI Radeon X1900 XT (cause the Quadro is pointless, they have the same specs), 2 x 23" Cinema displays (do you need them?), 2 x Superdrives, bluetooth/wifi, wireless keyboard/mighty mouse, the apple extended protection plan (3 years service).

Total: $7,735.00

now, if you wanted to go more custom, you could go minumum on the ram, hard drive, optical drives and do them yourselves. the ram would be cheaper, you could get blue ray drives, and 750 gb hard drives instead of 500 gb. that way you still get to customize a bit, but you have a MAC!!

Well, with or without money, I think the best way to go about it is to build your own system. So you buy your own case, motherboard, vid card, sound card, CPU and the such and you put it together yourself.

This way, you learn a great deal about how your computer works.

My roomate is intimidated by the idea of building his own system but I think he is missing on a lot of fun and a good learning experience. It really isn't as complicated as people think and you get to build exactly the machine you want, not confined to what Dell or Mac or whoever else thinks you need/want.

Now, if you want to build your own Hachintosh, that is a little more complicated, not everything is compatible with Mac's OS X and you'll have to do some research.

But to build a OS X supported system, I suggest you go with an Intel CPU, an Asus motherboard and a ATI vid card.

P5W MH Deluxe really is the best mobo for a Hackintosh and if you have a lot of money to spend, you'll like that one... :idea:

As for cases, you really can't go wrong with Thermaltake, they really are the best cases on the market IMHO. Unless you are a teenager than you'll prefer the more "cool" plastic cases with all the lights and such {censored}. Just make sure you get a metal case, don't go near the plastic stuff, plastic cases retain too mmuch heat while the aluminum cases act as kind of a heatsink for the heat generated inside the case.

Me, I wouldn't ever buy a pre-made system, I like building them too much and if you were to give me a system, I would take it apart and rebuid it my way just for kicks.

The project I am working on right now:

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case (a gorgeous case)

P5W MH Deluxe mobo (lotsa features there)

Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6600 2.4GHz w/ 4MB Cache

Thermaltake Symphony water cooling system for CPU (this one makes NO SOUND whatsoever, even at full blast, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it)

Enermax Liberty 500W Modular Power Supply I sugget at least 480W of PSU, especially if you plan on getting a decent video card.

Now, I just wish Thermaltake would get around to find an add-on or option that would allow me to cool my vid card on their Symphony system .... that would be soooo sweet!

How about a Mac Pro?

I was playing around with configurations, 2 x dual 3 Ghz, 4 gb of ram, 2 x 500 gb hard drives, ATI Radeon X1900 XT (cause the Quadro is pointless, they have the same specs), 2 x 23" Cinema displays (do you need them?), 2 x Superdrives, bluetooth/wifi, wireless keyboard/mighty mouse, the apple extended protection plan (3 years service).

Total: $7,735.00

No sh :yoji: !

For that ticket, they better include a naked chick in that box ... and she better be {censored}, real {censored}! :)

No sh :angry: !

For that ticket, they better include a naked chick in that box ... and she better be {censored}, real {censored}! :)

that's why i also suggested doing the upgrades yourself. then you still get to buld the sytem you like (i like the quad 3.0 ghz over a dual 2.93...), plus. you don't have to wait for a hacked version of every update of osx and other software to come out. go with the mac, it's much easier on the software side of things...

that's just me though, i'd rather have a system that just works all the time, that i don't have to worry about how i'm gonna get the next update to run on my system, and if it will run on my system.

and sorry, no {censored} chick in the box. at the most you'll get steve jobs, but i'd send that back...

I dont really a want a mac for the following reasons:

---- I have 250 pc games,

---- I lots of pc hardware that doesnt work on a mac

---- I like vista, and mandrake linux that currently doesnt work on a mac pro**

---- I have a large keyboard, and midi controller that i cannot get to work on a mac

---- I use many programs including visual studio express you cant get on a mac

---- I cant use my Logitech Sphere MP webcam on osx

Its not that i dont like macs! i do! i still need windows for some other tasks!!

**does any one know if its being devoloped?

BaYlisS

as for you windows problems, you can always install windows using bootcamp on your system, and use that for gaming. as far as vista compatability, that should be coming along fairly quickly. i would look for apple to release an update by the time vista ships. i highly doubt apple wouldn't add compatability for vista to their highest end systems. as far as the linux goes, i have no idea on that one, i don't use linux.

if you are going to be using osx more often than windows/others, i still stand by my opinion that getting an actual mac would be better for using osx. but if you use windows 95% of the time, you may be better off getting a pc.

For £5000 just get a mac pro tbh,

But if you're building a system don't waste your money on a core2duo extreme. Also for osx I'd get a i975x mobo.

I guess that's just me but a E6800 Extreme is a waste of money. £700 for a CPU when you can clock a £160 one to the same speed(probably faster) or even get a E6600 (£230?) and clock it higher and still have 4mb cache?

With that amount of cash you could build a core2duo system with X1900XT for £1000, get a mac pro £2000 and still have £2000 left over for a nice screen or even 2 screens.

For £5000 just get a mac pro tbh,

Nah! Once you build your own, you will never go back to buying a ready-made, ready-assembled.

I guess that's just me but a E6800 Extreme is a waste of money. £700 for a CPU when you can clock a £160 one to the same speed(probably faster) or even get a E6600 (£230?) and clock it higher and still have 4mb cache?

There I agree. The E6800 is waaaay over-priced and by the time AMD comes out with their quad core pretty soon, the price of the duo-cores will drop drastically.

For the price of a E6800 you could buy a E6600 and a really nice liquid cooling system like this one and easily OC your little E6600 well pass the E6800.

Now, I think you should decide what you want: gaming or OSX support. If it's gaming you want, an AMD cpu really seems to be the prefered choice of all gamers.

Again, I would much rather go for AMD's socket 939 or socket AM2 over Intel's socket 775 and maybe nVidia or BFG over ATI any day but it wouldn't be well supported on Mac's OSX.

Both ATI and Intel are over-priced and under performed. ATI is having a supply problem which is driving the prices up while Intel is using it's undeserved fame to drive their prices up.

AMD outperforms Intel virtually in every aspects of the game.

And if getting OSx on your machine is not that important, I suggest you read this concerning AMD vs Intel.

Unless you really want a Hackintosh, you'd have to be crazy to buy Intel.

I wich I had read that article before I bought my Intel CPU :D

I dont really a want a mac for the following reasons:.....

Than I am sorry to say but you might be in the wrong forum. This forum is all about installing OSx86 on a PC.

Never the less, if you pick an other forum, let me know where you go, I want to see your progress.

How does this one look?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...8clnIrOF/2.?p=0

$6,885.00

Specifications

* Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

* 2GB (4 x 512MB)

* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

* ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

* Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)

* Two 16x SuperDrives

* Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module

* Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English

* Mac OS X - U.S. English

* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

How does this one look?

$6,885.00

Specifications

* 2GB (4 x 512MB)

* Two 16x SuperDrives

* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

Thats sound vvvvvvv.nice!

Might have to buy thaT!

BaYlisS

Specifications

spacer.gif

* Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

* 2GB (4 x 512MB)

* 4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

* One 16x SuperDrive

* Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme

* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse (wireless)

* Mac OS X

* Final Cut Express HD

* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll

* Five USB ports

* Two FireWire 400 ports

* Two FireWire 800 ports

Jst orderd! --- Cost £4,645.01

YAY!

Thanks to everyone for thier surggestions! but i jst rememberd about the isight, and i think it has discontinued! --?

BaYlisS

8 grand huh... In my humble opinion use 2 grand of that on the computer and spend the rest on accessories. Right now we are in a bit of a stagnant time in computing. Everything new is just around the corner. Wich means all that is great today will be old tomorrow. And much cheaper tomorrow as well.

I built my system based on what is best today and will continue to be upgradable in the future. The only piece of my computer that I remotely compromized on was my ram. 2 gigs of ddr2 900mhz speed for $179 I couldn't pass it up.

I'll leave a link to my exact computer parts at newegg. Newegg wishlist

If I where trying to spend all that money I would definately go with the latest and greatest liquid cooling parts. I believe a site called xoxide.com has a ton of great water cooling parts. They even have my lion li case in there somewhere.

Also I would suggest you go with something like a 27"-32" lcd tv as your display. I haven't looked to see what is the greatest in this department yet but When I got my 26" syntax olevia it was probably the single best upgrade I have made. playing games on a big ol' screen is just so nice.

Good luck.

Oops took to long to write this LOL to late

you could always wait for quad core cpu's and dx10 graphics cards

I needed a new system quickly! as i needed to get final cut, and iLife to do my studies @ school, because im doing double ict

Ok

BaYlisS

How does this one look?

$6,885.00

Specifications

* 2GB (4 x 512MB)

* Two 16x SuperDrives

Don't get 4 sticks of half gb memory. Instead, get two sticks of 1 gb, that way you still have the same amount of memory (2 gb) but if you decide to upgrade to 3 o 4 gb, you'll still have a couple of memory slots available.

If you keep 4x512 mb, you will occupy all your slots and whenever/if you upgrade, you'll have to throw away some of the 512 mb sticks.