Testers needed: CPU Power Management for SB and IB Xeon(s) or i7-39xx on X79 or C60x chipset

omni

494 posts in this topic

Say it aint so, omni

:gun:

It is inevitable...I'm just tired of various small annoying glitches that happen almost on every boot.

For me OS X took a dive with 10.9.2...wish I could go back to 10.6.8.

I spent almost 4 months getting this hackintosh up to par and right when I thought CPUPM will be it, Apple made 10.9.2 unusable for me. I don't want to be replacing kexts to get it to work especially if things used to work OOB.

They made "improvements" that only made things worse and I'm not going to waste any more of my time on it. Sigh.

@rampagedev,  With your Beta ssdt-1 I managed on TurBo mode multiplier settings actually going from (12),32,33,34,35,36,37 to 38.

But strangely no step between 12 - 32 so it could be you Beta ssdt-1 I'm struggle with to get lower P-states at the moment.

I get around 18k with Geekbench 3 64-bit test, is it normal for max x38 speedstep?

I'm using 10.9.2 final + omni AICPM (patched for MSR02) + smbios MacPro 6,1 + SSDT-1 beta from RampageDev + SSDT from PikerAlpha 12.2

@pokenguyen, yes that's normal, without Turbo it's around 15k.

I get around 18k with Geekbench 3 64-bit test, is it normal for max x38 speedstep?

I'm using 10.9.2 final + omni AICPM (patched for MSR02) + smbios MacPro 6,1 + SSDT-1 beta from RampageDev + SSDT from PikerAlpha 12.2

Ok fixed the Turbo, back to 34->43. Recreated Pikes SSDT, and used RampageDev SSDT for Audio injection. Installed omni patched AICPUPM binary. MacPro SMBios 6.1.

Mac mini SMBios giving me real good performance [12, 24, 34, 36, 40, 43] and Intel Power Gadget works much better (CPU Freq graph is not garbled).

@Magnifico: Eventually it means that I have speedstep likewise turbo step going, with ssdt from @pike and AICPUPM from Omni, nothing more than those two. Intel Power Gadged shows the actual speedstep frequencies, and that says for me speedstep working.

So ?

jasjeet is not odd.

omni post different version of AICPUPM (original that is ideal for XEON IB EP, and two patched (sb, ib)

Maybe in your case you have to use ib patched version with your 4930k CPU)

In my case, with a XEON V2 (IB EP CPU) with all 10.9.2 betas there is no need to patch AICPUPM if you have bios with unlocked MSR Ex02

If it is not you may have to run perl command after patching

I don't know if, in rampagedev solution there are different versions of AICPUPM kext, one version is not good for all cpu working in x79 chipset type

+1

I dont know if my MSR Ex02 is unlocked as i dont know how to check other than AICPUPMI kext, which i am unable to compile as ive run out of SSD space to install XCode (and nobody wants to share theirs for hexacore+ CPUs...).

I am using Omni IB patch as 4960X is an IB EP CPU with Cores lasered off.

AFAIK you don't need the kext patch with 10.9.2 anymore at least if you're on Ivy-E. I am running plain vanilla with my 4930k and get PM. Working SSDT is still needed though (and maybe the bigger problem)

hi. i have sabertooth x79 and 4930k. have you pm completely working?

i'm running a plain vanilla + ssdt (for nvidia hdmi by rampagedev)

I have R4E and (almost) working PM. Still, HWMonitor and AICPUPMI do not report all P-States, but according to IPG it seems to work fine. Unfortunately, ssdtPRgen.sh does not work for me, so I still use Balamuts SSDT he posted earlier in this thread. So I still might need to improve on the SSDT, hope Pike's script will be fixed.

But I definetly do not need any patched kexts. And I also added RampageDevs SSDT, so that should work, too.

Howdy,

Running a Z9PE-D8 board with dual E5-2650, and I'm having two problems :

- Using the Kext provided by omni gives me a KP.

- The script from Piker doesn't seem to detect properly my CPU and homologates it to a v2 version (but I don't know if that's bad or not).

Other problem I'm having at the moment, after updating to 10.9.2 I get a strange lag, sluggish responsiveness even to type my password at login screen, and after a while it flashes me back to login screen. When booting with -v I can get the OS giving me an error on BluetoothHCI stuff, before lagging a long time before I get something on the screens.

Using a GTX 680 DirectCU II from ASUS (4GB version) on 5th slot (only way to boot this board without having to use modified kexts like PCI, AHCI, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

A.

Guys,

I am willing to fix bugs in ssdtPRGen.sh but this the (only) place to report it:

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues

The problem I am facing right now is that I have very little free time and thus cannot visit forums anymore!

Do not worry, Pike, think of your work and your life, then if you have some free time do you spend your wonderful experience

Guys,

I am willing to fix bugs in ssdtPRGen.sh but this the (only) place to report it:

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues

The problem I am facing right now is that I have very little free time and thus cannot visit forums anymore!

Pike,

Thanks for your contributions, I posted in this thread because I thought it was here that it had to be done regarding the patched AICPM combined but I will post my current "problem" on the link you've just given.

I've also received a patched BIOS from CodeRush that I will put to test today and I will report back.

A.

Other problem I'm having at the moment, after updating to 10.9.2 I get a strange lag, sluggish responsiveness even to type my password at login screen, and after a while it flashes me back to login screen. When booting with -v I can get the OS giving me an error on BluetoothHCI stuff, before lagging a long time before I get something on the screens.

I had a same problem in 10.9.2, and as I posted on Netkas's forum, I ultimately resolved it by replacing IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIFamily from 10.9.1.

If you do not want to replace kexts, alternative was suggested by mysticalos to raise certain PCI voltages in BIOS. My BIOS does not offer the needed voltage options, so I had to resort to kext replacement.

Regarding the CPUs, I used Pike's script as a base but then I manually add and correct things. You won't be generating SSDT all the time, so might as well invest some time into customizing it to your own needs. 

• Like 1

Omni,

Thanks for your input.

Regarding the "lag" thing, I'm willing to test anything that can solve this... be it replacement or voltage. I will check if my board (Z9PE) allows that, but I'm not really sure.

I could try the kexts replacements first (seems less harmful than the other situation).

As for the SSDT and the Piker script, I'm kind of a noob in all these matters of patching BIOS, editing AML files and so on... so I've given a look at the script, added my CPU model to the Sandy Bridge Xeons but other than that I don't know what else to modify, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I will try to dig more into it and see how it goes, thanks.

Edited : found the post about the voltages, don't understand much, will get a look at it on the bios.

A.

Regarding the CPUs, I used Pike's script as a base but then I manually add and correct things. You won't be generating SSDT all the time, so might as well invest some time into customizing it to your own needs.

Asus sometimes renames the CPU device in the dsdt ssdt CPU declaration. In R4E 4206 it's named P000... In 4802 it's named C000... So sometimes with bios updates it's necessary to generate a new ssdt as well. But they don't do that often. Just something to be aware of.