Internal Drives as removable media

Chris Etheridge

6 posts in this topic

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone !

My problem is different but it's a strange problem. I've just installed 10.9 (now updated to 10.9.2 but it didn't changed anything) on my AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.0 Ghz 2 GB DDR2 RAM (using a distro ;-). I have 2 SATA drives, one of 80 GB for OS X and another one of 500 GB for Windows 8.1 / Data / Time Machine. Everythings works fine but for an unknown reason, sometimes the second 500 GB drive suddendly disappear from my desktop saying Ejecting Error, try to disconnect the drive by…etc, just as if it was an USB external drive.

System Profiler detects it as a SATA drive, the icons aren't yellow, there's just like any normal drive and most of time, I can read/write on them without problems. I did a Time Machine backup without issues.

First I thought that it was a Kext conflict between SuperVIAATA.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext or AHCI_3rdPartySata.kext but I tried to remove the two last of them and be able to boot fine (Removing SuperVIAATA.kext result as "still waiting for root device"). But the problem persist and I can't figure why !

The drive works fine on Windows and shows no errors, SMART state is reported as capable and OK and the 80 GB hosting OS X works fine as well.

My desktop is a HP dc5750 with the latest BIOS (configure in Native IDE mode - no AHCI available) and beside this very anoying problem under OS X, it works fine.

Any ideas ?

post-1163891-0-13079100-1395508261_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

My problem is different but it's a strange problem. I've just installed 10.9 (now updated to 10.9.2 but it didn't changed anything) on my AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.0 Ghz 2 GB DDR2 RAM (using a distro ;-). I have 2 SATA drives, one of 80 GB for OS X and another one of 500 GB for Windows 8.1 / Data / Time Machine. Everythings works fine but for an unknown reason, sometimes the second 500 GB drive suddendly disappear from my desktop saying Ejecting Error, try to disconnect the drive by…etc, just as if it was an USB external drive.

System Profiler detects it as a SATA drive, the icons aren't yellow, there's just like any normal drive and most of time, I can read/write on them without problems. I did a Time Machine backup without issues.

First I thought that it was a Kext conflict between SuperVIAATA.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext or AHCI_3rdPartySata.kext but I tried to remove the two last of them and be able to boot fine (Removing SuperVIAATA.kext result as "still waiting for root device"). But the problem persist and I can't figure why !

The drive works fine on Windows and shows no errors, SMART state is reported as capable and OK and the 80 GB hosting OS X works fine as well.

My desktop is a HP dc5750 with the latest BIOS (configure in Native IDE mode - no AHCI available) and beside this very anoying problem under OS X, it works fine.

Any ideas ?

What is your moherboard and chipset?

My SATA internal drives are being shown as removable media. I had this problem before with Mountain Lion, and something on the iAtkos ML2 disc fixed it (it was a kext). I just cannot remember the name now.

Any ideas?

Like artur-pt said - it's a distro problem.Try to play with retail one - it's much faster and stable :)

Good Luck :)

Edited by tragediana150

Hello !

Thanks for your reply.

My setup is a HP dc5750 Athlon 64 x2 3800+ with 2 GB DDR2 and the chipset is an ATI SB600. But I'm not thinking it's a distro related issue because I have changed my 80 GB SATA HDD and it seems that it was faulty causing the ejection error.

My system is now stable so far, I'll see how things will goes on on the next days.