Ralink WiFi dongle not working

sports

4 posts in this topic

I have a Panda Wireless Ultra 150 Mbps Wifi dongle that refuses to work on my recent Mavericks install. I've tried about 6 different driver install softwares (all claiming to be 10.8 compatible, with one saying 10.9) and the Wireless Utility won't open a window or even a dialog once installed. 

I've used MediaTek, Ralink, Bear (?), and the one on this site to attempt to install Ralink 5370 drivers- and none of them will let me open this utility.

Does anyone have any experience/any idea on what I can do? My machine is a Thinkpad X220, everything else seems to work fine except this dongle.

Thanks.

The problem is, none of the installers actually support Maverics.  It will install the Ralink utility, but not the .kext.

The 10.8 kext will work however.  You can download the bear kext from places such as this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/167-mavericks-ralink-usb-rt2870rt2770rt3x7xrt537x/

Note that, at least on my system the kext will prevent the system from sleeping, and shutdown / reboot but otherwise works fine.

• Like 1

The kext isn't specifically for my device, but for some reason it works just fine. My Wireless Utility depended on the kext, I guess, which is weird considering that OSX detected the 802.1x card off the USB hub and did everything to identify for it. 

Thanks!

• 6 months later...