[Guide] Mavericks 10.9.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

307 posts in this topic

In creating USB installer, Step 14:  

open /Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg,  are quotes missing in this command? Should it be   >>>> open "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg"

There's is a mistake here, it should be : open /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg (note where are the "")

Excerpt from the guide :

1. Issue the following commands in terminal, The last command may take some time:

• cp /Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/Yosemite/

• cp -a /Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/Yosemite/

• rm /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

• cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

The problem is the same here. EVERY occurences of OS X Install ESD should be replaced by "OS X Install ESD" (with the "")

[EDIT] the last line : cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages  is correct

And here is something I just cannot seem to understand,  Move all the files in the unzipped /Clover folder to /EFI/EFI/Clover/, make sure to choose to MERGE these folders.

Where exactly is this location?

Another mistake : (but I'm not sure which is the best method)

The EFI/EFI/Clover is actually the hidden GUID partition EFI which should contain a folder EFI/Clover. BUT according to the guide, Clover is not installed in this partition but at the root of the partition nammed "Yosemite". So I don't know if we are supposed to mount that hidden EFI partition and create an EFI/Clover folder and at last, copy the files in the Clover.zip (but in this case, nothing will be overwritten as there's no folder yet) OR, and I think that is what Pepto had in mind, merge the content of EFI/Clover installed at the root of the USB with the one of Clover.zip. In this case, it would make sense.

Last :

I think you have downloaded the wrong Clover.zip, the correct one is here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292748-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-optiplex-780-760/?p=2075967

I'm preparing a USB to check if it works with the corrections I've just exlained. Will report…

Note :

Chameleon's method is much more simple and if you really want to use Clover for iMessage & FaceTime after the install is completed, it's still possible.

• Like 1

There's is a mistake here, it should be : open /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg (note where are the "")

The problem is the same here. EVERY occurences of OS X Install ESD should be replaced by "OS X Install ESD" (with the "")

[EDIT] the last line : cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages  is correct

Another mistake : (but I'm not sure which is the best method)

The EFI/EFI/Clover is actually the hidden GUID partition EFI which should contain a folder EFI/Clover. BUT according to the guide, Clover is not installed in this partition but at the root of the partition nammed "Yosemite". So I don't know if we are supposed to mount that hidden EFI partition and create an EFI/Clover folder and at last, copy the files in the Clover.zip (but in this case, nothing will be overwritten as there's no folder yet) OR, and I think that is what Pepto had in mind, merge the content of EFI/Clover installed at the root of the USB with the one of Clover.zip. In this case, it would make sense.

Last :

I think you have downloaded the wrong Clover.zip, the correct one is here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292748-guide-mavericks-109x-dell-optiplex-780-760/?p=2075967

I'm preparing a USB to check if it works with the corrections I've just exlained. Will report…

Note :

Chameleon's method is much more simple and if you really want to use Clover for iMessage & FaceTime after the install is completed, it's still possible.

Thanks for the info. :)

I was also wondering if that was referring to an EFI drive, but I didn't see one, I didn't turn on show hidden folders.

For creating the USB installer, I just went back to the instructions on the originally referenced link on OSXLatiude.

. Download Install OS X Yosemite.app (Any version will do, i.e. DP1, DP2, DP3, DP4, DP5, DP6, DP7​ (preferred), etc.)

2. Right click on the installer > show package contents

3. Navigate to Contents/Shared Support and double click on the InstallESD.dmg, the .dmg should now mount and appear on your desktop

5. In the terminal issue the following command: open "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg"

6. Now, open disk utility and restore your usb drive, NOT the drive, but the volume contained on the drive with the mounted "BaseSystem" NOT the .dmg.

7. Rename your usb drive to Yosemite. (not the dmg) You can tell which drive is the USB from the size.

8. Issue the following commands in terminal:

cp "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg" /Volumes/Yosemite/

cp -a "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist" /Volumes/Yosemite/

rm /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

9. The last command may take some time, go get some food tongue.png

Would be great if I could figure out how to install Clover on my Yosemite/Chameleon install, but even with all of the reading I have been doing, I am having problems learning how to do it. :(

Edit: I did manage to install Clover to my Yosemite/Chameleon install.

First one good thing to do is to activate the Debug Menu in Disk Utility :

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

The you'll be able to see every partition of any disk - including EFI partition of GUID formated disk :) - and you'll also be able to mount them. Moreover, it will appear when you select destination in every Mac installers.

When you use Clover, it's better to see where the files are installed especially when you select Install in ESP (which is actually the other name for EFI). But again, according to the guide, i's not the way choosed by Pepto.

Last :

That was the Clover folder that I tried using about a week or two ago. It would start to boot off of the USB installer, I would get the Apple with the progress bar underneath, but it would freeze before the progress bar got more than half-way through.

Today I have been trying the Clover_780 folder which Pepto has placed a link to in his guide. When using those files, I can not get the installer to even start to load. Just chose to boot from Yosemite USB, screen goes blank, and the system freezes.

I noticed he's not using the DSDT with the AMD HD 5450 patched but rather manually patching the kexts instead.

Not in the Clover.zip from his guide which is actually a good thing as they are useless and don't work. :P

--------------

Well after trying both methods, Chameleon & Clover, I still prefer Chameleon's one. That's just simpler.

Clover strictly doesn't bring any enhancement in the install process. It's a different story for usability once that's done but for installing the OS, Clover is IMHO, useless.

• Like 1

Okay, I have rebooted into Yosemite, and I am at "Installing Clover on Your Hackintosh."  Geez, does anyone have a Video Guide for this thing? LOL

First thing, run the clover installer again with new settings. Install to USB? Why would I want to reinstall to USB with new settings? Is this supposed to be install to Yosemite Hard Drive?

And now we have EFI/EFI several times?

Another mistake… According to the guide :

1. Choose the USB, now called YosemiteHD.

This not the USB, you're right, but the hard disk formated in step 9a.

And again, EFI/EFI/Clover refers to the hidden partition of the GUID formated hard disk (be careful with this because there's indeed 2 EFI partitions, the one from your USB and the one from the hard disk).

One more thing :):P

The video part implies 2 things :

• Do not check the Inject ATI option in Graphics section of Clover Configurator. It will create a conflict as Clover will try to inject fake IDs to the kexts when they are already patched and hence, fully functionnal.

• If you're using DSDT with video injection, DO NOT copy the patched kexts. It will have the same consequences. Don't forget that Clover just do the same thing than a DSDT.

Let's see, installing Clover on your Hackintosh...

4) Move the folder /Clover from the unzipped to your hard drives /EFI/EFI/Clover/ location, make sure

to choose to MERGE these folders.

then, a couple of steps down...

6) Move the folder /Clover from the unzipped to your hard drives /EFI/EFI/Clover/ location, make sure

to choose to MERGE these folders.         EDIT: Skip this step,  it is not needed, and you will just write over the new config.plist you just created.

Guess this is a real important step, so we need to do it twice. :)

Yeah, we are helping debug the guide before the new thread for Yosemite gets started.

I think Pepto is just shooting for 20,000 views before he starts the new thread.  :P

Ok, here's what I understood from this part :

After installing Clover, you'll end up with 2 EFI/Clover folders. First one is in the EFI partition (mounted via Clover Configurator as stated) and the second is at the root of your Hard Drive. Look at the sceenshot, Pepto choosed to install in both ESP (aka EFI) and boot0af in MBR.

So the method should be like this :

Extraxct files from Clover_780.zip. Copy Clover folder and paste it in both EFI (in the EFI partition) and EFI at the root of your HDD. At last, open Clover Configurator, import config.plist from the EFI partition in EFI/Clover, and do the changes. Repeat the same procedure but this time with the EFI/Clover/Config.plist at the root of your HDD.

Another quicker method is to do the changes on one of the two folders and simply copy/paste the EFI/Clover.

I'm really not sure that having 2 EFI folders is the best or the right way to use Clover. It could possibly be a source of mistakes and confusion to manage these 2 folders where, I think, there only need for just one in the EFI partition. Otherwise, Clover interest as a bootloader is greatly minored because one of his purpose is to leave untouched the OS partition and avoid MBR issues.

• Like 1

Ok, I now have Yosemite booting from Clover that is installed in the Hard Drives EFI partition. I have no EFI folder at the root of the hard drive. 

Now I need to do some reading on Clover Configurator, and see if I can tweak the config.plist and get iMessage working.

UPDATE:  I used Clover Configurator to change the Serial Number and Rom values, and  iMessage and FaceTime are now  both working. :)

So there's no EFI folder at the root of your HDD, right ?

It makes more sense in that way. Having two EFI folder at different location seemed a bit weird to me :P

Good luck with Clover Configurator

---- End of beta-test ----

:hysterical:

I also partitioned the EFI partition to FAT32 before installing Clover.

So, the  process I used to Install Clover to the Hard Drive was:

Used CC to mount EFI Partition

Partitioned the EFI to FAT32:

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

2. Type: diskutil list and locate your system drive's EFI partition. It will be under IDENTIFIER. Be sure to use the correct one. (For this example: disk0s1) 

3. Type the following, enter password and hit enter:

sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

Installed Clover with new settings to EFI partition.  (Pepto's guide, image on page 7)

Copied Clover folder from 780_clover.zip to  EFI/EFI/, and merged folders.

Used CC to edit the config.plist and saved changes.

Edit Video Kexts,and install with Kext Utility,  or:

Place dsdt.aml supplied by Jake Lo, ( post #234)   into folder , EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched , and video kext edits should not be required.

Reboot

iMessage & FaceTime Fix

You will need MLB and Rom numbers from a legit Mac device that is on the mac server.

Have a friend with a genuine iMac, Macbook, iPad, etc, run iMessage debug on their device, and send you a copy and paste of the terminal output.

Open Clover Configurator

Mount EFI Partition

Import config.plist from EFI/EFI/CLOVER (File, Import Configuration, browse to config.plist and select).

In CC Click on RT Variables, Enter Rom and MLB values from iMessage output from valid mac device. Click on calculate.

Save changes to config.plist

Reboot, Sign into iMessage

iMessage and FaceTime should now both be working. :)

imessage_debug.zip

Hope Pepto reads us, the guide should be perfect now :P !

Update 10.10.1 is harmless but dispensable if you're not using wifi ;)

Didn't you volunteer to solve Video Kext Injection with complete HD5450 functionality including HDMI Sound output?

You get that done yet?  :drool:

Not in the Clover.zip from his guide which is actually a good thing as they are useless and don't work. :P

--------------

Well after trying both methods, Chameleon & Clover, I still prefer Chameleon's one. That's just simpler.

Clover strictly doesn't bring any enhancement in the install process. It's a different story for usability once that's done but for installing the OS, Clover is IMHO, useless.

Grow a pair!   :P

Just kidding!  ;)

Didn't you volunteer to solve Video Kext Injection with complete HD5450 functionality including HDMI Sound output?

You get that done yet?  :drool:

Seems the only way is to patch the framebuffer to match ports of the card. This would fix the HDMI wake issue with Eulemur. But it's not an universal solution because it depends on a bunch of things like manufacturer, number and layout of ports and that sort of things. So it must be a "try on your own hardware" and it's not an easy thing to do.

But, now you're a Clover Master :ninja: , you already know that you can do this with the right settings in config.plist, aren't you ? :P

By the way, 5450 injection fails with Clover :whistle:  you have to patch the kext or use a DSDT ;)

Oke guys i see my guide is working i will make a new post in the section complete desktop then you can post there your questions and more

Hello Pepto !

Nice work but there are some mistakes in the guide that we've test morpheousman and I (and certainly some others). See previous posts to know what's wrong and what's unclear in some parts of it :P.

Hope it'll helps ;)

That said, thanks again for this great job !

• Like 1

Hello Pepto !

Nice work but there are some mistakes in the guide that we've test morpheousman and I (and certainly some others). See previous posts to know what's wrong and what's unclear in some parts of it :P.

Hope it'll helps ;)

That said, thanks again for this great job !

I made a post in the new thread with some of the mistakes we found, and some clarifications that might help.

Thanks for the guide Pepto. :)