Anyone got any PCI-e BCM4360 WiFi-ac card going? (New Macbook Air owner wanted)

macbrush

108 posts in this topic

The blue+ green connector are just for the data:

Me8By.gif

In effect your usb chipset gets no power now.

I connected my cable on the connector on the bottom right (not supplied with card).

The switch is in the 2-3 position off (for standard 5 volts like usb needs)

sorry, i didn't explain myself well.

so, these are my configuration:

if i put the card on the mini pci express (the slot for the airport extreme) i have the wi-fi working and the bluetooth (obviously) not working.

if i put the card on the pci express slot (through the taobao adapter) and connecting a usb cable, i have the bluetooth working but the wi-fi card is not recognized!

is my adapter broken?

the switch is in the 2-3 position off. 

the adaptor has the green light turned on and the red light turned off. is it correct?

can i disconnect the long blu and green cable?

Try the switch in the other position but it should work, for me it does both wifi + bluetooth.

Also try a hackintosh just so you can compare, only data connectors needed then.

And for a mac pro you don't need those wires as the mac pro has no internal usb headers.

what about your red and green light of the adapter?

even changing the position of the switch, my wifi card is not recognized.

i even tried with the bcm9430cs2 taken from my macbook air 2013, and it doesn't work.

i think it must be only a faulty adaptor.

what do you think?

I think the leds are just to show communication like any (wireless)nic?

Really got no idea... they're not marked or anything.

Since both chipsets work, but not both at any given time I think the adapter card itself works alright.

For me it just works and since you can't do a lot of settings or anything I really have no advise.

Probably it should work just the way you got it.

The other option is a loose Bluetooth 4.0 stick (which I already bought) and a mini pci-e card (which I'm looking for myself now).

I think the leds are just to show communication like any (wireless)nic?

Really got no idea... they're not marked or anything.

Since both chipsets work, but not both at any given time I think the adapter card itself works alright.

For me it just works and since you can't do a lot of settings or anything I really have no advise.

Probably it should work just the way you got it.

The other option is a loose Bluetooth 4.0 stick (which I already bought) and a mini pci-e card (which I'm looking for myself now).

i think that the card itself works (i put it on a macbook air 2013and both wi fi and bluetooth are working),

what is not working is the lci express adapter (only the bluetooth part is working).

i don't know if i have to put the blue and the green cables in other position (but you told me that they are unuseful in a mac pro)

i put the card on another mac pro and it doesn't work too.

i hope the seller would send me another adaptor

edit:it seems that the lci express doesn't give power to the wi-fi adaptor (while the bluetooth is working because it receives the power from the usb cable)

All the mini pci-e adapters I got (most without usb) get the power from the pci-e slot so that shouldn't be a problem.

This is the same adapter card without the apple stuff: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2292801298.4.wr6jBF&id=20865240537

I can't read chinese and after translating I'm not sure but maybe it's still helpful in figuring out.

All the mini pci-e adapters I got (most without usb) get the power from the pci-e slot so that shouldn't be a problem.

This is the same adapter card without the apple stuff: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2292801298.4.wr6jBF&id=20865240537

I can't read chinese and after translating I'm not sure but maybe it's still helpful in figuring out.

this card is making me crazy.

i have done another experiment: i put an airport card (taken from a macbook 2007) in the taobao adapter. i put them in a lci express slot and the card is recognized.

so the taobao adapter itself works.

the bcm94360 (wi-fi + bluetooth combo) itself works.

when i used them together (bcm94360cd+adaptor) only bluetooth works (but no wi-fi card recognized).

so it must be a software issue? i'm using 10.9 mavericks

what about you? can you help me please? 2 brains are better than one! :-)

EDIT:it's not a software issue. i tried even with ubuntu 13.10 64bit live and it doesn't recognize the wi-fi part (only bluetooth). the same with windows 7 64bit.

my conclusion it's that is hardware related to the adaptor (maybe with the switch).

i tried moving it, but nothing happened.

i even tried using a double power usb cable, nothing changed

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't know, it should work just fine.

Maybe I can get a hold of some other adapter cards and test.

All I can do is show you screenshots of it working correctly sometime this weekend.

can you please tell me what is the revision of your card? it's written on the backside of the lci express card bought from taobao

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello there. I went ahead and ordered a BCM94360CD for iMac and didn't realize that the PCIE Express Adapter is actually also using another smaller adapter that goes from newer proprietary Apple Airport slot to the slightly larger Mini-PCIE older style Airport slot. 

In other words, the pictured PCIE slot adapter has another adaptor that allows the BCM94360CD to plug into a Mac Pro (or other machines that use WiFi cards in this style)

So I need to find that smaller adapter.

Could yu guys take pix of that adapter or list any part numbers on it?

I think plenty of folks could live with no BT from it if it let them go to 802ac on older machines.

Thanks guys. This thread is linked a few places as containing rare info on ac in older Macs, everyone should know that just getting the ac card isn't enough, need that adapter.

Also, if you know of any sources for the combo of both adapters in US would be great. In fact, any way to get one or both adapters would be good.

I'm afraid I sold mine in my Mac Pro... it was aging and a good selling factor.

Also there was way to much money in it, almost 170 euro (about 200 USD) and it was a hobby from the beginning.

Would buy an adapter like a snap again, the cards itself can be cheaply bought.

I do have a usb version here from taobao with just bluetooth though I could take pics from.

Was way cheaper and love it, my trackpad and wireless keyboard even work in the uefi bios from my hack :)

Also tried to send you a pm which didn't work, have full details on the adapter incl. pcb schemes.

I've shared my sources (same as you found obviously :P) and I got good hope you'll end up seeing these adapter cards on ebay sometime soon.

Basically they figured out a complete PCB but the connector to use.

For me it just worked, bluetooth included but I like to tinker with my workstation

And as my Mac Pro was maxed out as can be I decided it was time to put more time in my hack which is almost as fast but has half the cpu cores and memory (which is exactly what I need anyways).

So I might go with this adapter for once it turns up on ebay for my hack again.

I still hope that work on the 4325 Azurewave cards picks back up. They never finished and it could still be a cheap & solid card if we got it working on ac band.

Did anyone try the old flashing new id trick on it?

Somehow the Apple driver is saying "no thanks" to the ac part even when device id is changed in kext.

Meanwhile, I have ordered finished cards like yours with adapters in them and also parts to make more of my frankenairports.

Would be great if I could do them quickly.

Currently, it looks like real Apple cards or a PCIE card from Asus or...?????

I wish I had done the BT on my 4360CD, it is installed in back of Mac Pro and I would hate to bend a wire too far, break the card, and have to undo all that epoxy to find issue & fix and redo everything, so it will likely stay in the Mac Pro until I have a reason to remove it.

I don't think everyone understands that the Azurewave 4352 that many are using is NOT working as an AC card but is instead just running as an "N" card. So considering the DSDT or kext hacks needed to make it work, seems the older "N" cards that are 100% OOTB are better choices until someone fixes kexts or rebrands (flashes) the cards to actually work. The disingenuous threads listing them as "working" and "ac" then show screen shots with no "ac" listed as working are fooling people.

I have seen follow up posts where people are thankful and think the cards are working. Basically, someone has offered you a cheap Ferrari 12 cylinder but forgot to mention that it is only running on 4 pistons and is no faster than the Opel you traded in for it. I think this lack of understanding that they have gimped cards is part of why no one is clamoring for REAL ac cards.

Eventually the Chinese will figure out that there is a market and make those adapters by the 1000's for $20 each or so. Just not today.

Anyone who can solder small stuff should do what I did and just make the damn thing. I will be making more, I have ordered more parts but living in SoCal I am used to all my computer stuff either coming from Newegg (1 day away by UPS ground) or from Silicon Valley (frequently 1 day but no more than 2 days by ground)

Ordering stuff from China is 4 days minimum, and upwards of 3 weeks. Hard to keep excited while waiting.

Meanwhile the ac is till working effortlessly on my Mac Pro.

Will have an ac card for rMBP tomorrow and do some speed tests transferring files back and forth.

• 2 weeks later...

this card is making me crazy.

i have done another experiment: i put an airport card (taken from a macbook 2007) in the taobao adapter. i put them in a lci express slot and the card is recognized.

so the taobao adapter itself works.

the bcm94360 (wi-fi + bluetooth combo) itself works.

when i used them together (bcm94360cd+adaptor) only bluetooth works (but no wi-fi card recognized).

so it must be a software issue? i'm using 10.9 mavericks

what about you? can you help me please? 2 brains are better than one! :-)

EDIT:it's not a software issue. i tried even with ubuntu 13.10 64bit live and it doesn't recognize the wi-fi part (only bluetooth). the same with windows 7 64bit.

my conclusion it's that is hardware related to the adaptor (maybe with the switch).

i tried moving it, but nothing happened.

i even tried using a double power usb cable, nothing changed

Hi, I can confirm this exact same behavior.

I have received 3 of these adapters and just as reported, they do NOT work in Mac Pro in PCIE slot but removing the smaller adapter and putting on Mini PCIE slot the WiFi works.

Was also able to use USB cable while inside Mac Pro PCIE slot and use the BT.

I then tried an older BCM43xx card "N" type from another Mac Pro and it works in PCIE slot.

So my guess is that somehow there is a pin wrong or something, hard to say.

So far I have seen two of them do this, haven't tried 3rd one but no reason to expect different.

• 1 month later...

Fix for unknown card for 10.8.5 build12F9:

1. In terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x30\x6B\x10\x00\x00\x75\x0D|\x30\x6B\x10\x00\x00\x90\x90|' /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

2. In terminal:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

3. Wait 30 sec and restart...

4.Show a new report from the Terminal:

system_profiler SPAirPortDataType

P.S. You should see the

en0:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0xХХХХ)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (ХХХ)

MAC Address: ХХХ

Locale: ХХХ

Country Code: ХХХ

Hello Skvo

Can you please explain what this HEX Edit is actually changing, and can this be accomplished with a DSDT only patch that you know of?

The PCE-AC68 work in my Hackintosh out of the box (OOB) but with limited 5GHz channel support. I'm only getting the lower and upper bands to show to show up as supported:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64,149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Anyone now how to fix this?

Thanks,

Robert aka Mrengles

http://mrengles.com/

• 2 months later...

For those who are trying to use PCI-E Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter card in x2, x4, x8, x16 slot:

Most motherboards refuse to work with PCI-E adapters that have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth powered from PCI-E port other then x1 port.

If installed in x2, x4, x8, x16 ports you will have either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth working but not both at the same time.
There are two different solutions for this problem:

1. PCI-E x1 slot extension cable (when PCI-E x1 slot is blocked or covered by Video Card): http://www.amazon.co....?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or
2. wdxxfu studio dapter designed to work in any slot ($43): http://item.taobao.c....id=38195333521

This wdxxfu studio adapter is using Apple branded Broadcom BCM94360CD card found in iMac 2013.

Both Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 4.0/LE work like a charm.

They managed the card to work properly in any slot by providing four wire connection to USB port for Bluetooth Data and Power.

Wi-Fi is powered from PCI-E rail (B-10 3.3Vaux), Bluetooth data connects to USB and Bluetooth power connects to USB through 3.3V AMS1117.

If you don't speak Chinese and want to buy it, search for TAOBAO purchasing agent

There is another adapter which has been recently reported to work in any PCI-E slot and that is easier to purchase then wdxxfu adapter: 

http://www.amazon.co...onymacx86com-21

http://www.aliexpres...2269231445.html

I use wdxxfu studio adapter on GA-Z87MX-D3H in PCI-E x16 slot (running at x8 electrical).

This is what I use successfully on my old GA-EX58-UD5 in PCI-E x1 slot: http://item.taobao.c...&id=36411287267 , http://www.potatao.com/index.php?p=item&id=36411287267&vendorId=miniqoo

It has integrated switch that can change how WiFi and Bluetooth are powered from PCI-E rail, however this adapter refused to work properly in PCI-E x1 slot on GA-Z87MX-D3H.

On GA-Z87MX-D3H either WiFi or Bluetooth would work but not both at the same time.

If you intend to use Mini or Half Mini PCI-E port read post #76.

• Like 1

Hi,

BCM94360CD (a/b/g/n/ac) and BCM94331CD (a/b/g/n) all works fine with WIFi and Bluetooth 4.0.

No spare keyboard is needed to be able to get to BIOS/UEFI or in Bootloader.

Native Airdrop Support.

Native Handoff Support for OS X Yosemite 10.10.

Quote:  "BCM94360CD (a/b/g/n/ac) and BCM94331CD (a/b/g/n) all works fine with WIFi and Bluetooth 4.0".

All adapters from your website are using USB connection for Bluetooth Data only (they use two wires).

In such a design only selected motherboards will be able to use both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time.

All adapters from your website are using USB connection for Bluetooth Data only (they use two wires).

In such a design only selected motherboards will be able to use both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time.

We did a lot of testing and never had this problem with any motherboards. All tests was working fine. It using USB 2.0 Data lines.