Any news on 10.9?

24 posts in this topic

Yes, there will not be a retail version anymore and 10.9 will not be available in App Store, the only way to download it is through recovery option on a real Mac with new EFI firmware.

New hardware DRM system will make Chameleon and Clover absolutely non-relevant and require a totally new bootloader in order to make 10.9 to boot on a PC.

Also, there's some bad news for Mac users: 10.9 will not run on earlier models due to hardware limitations and will run on Late 2013 Macs only.

Just kidding, lol.

• Like 6

9to5mac.com is where I got the info for that post. MacRumors.com is also a good place to get info, but both have been dry for months. 10.8.3 and .4 have been taking most of the headlines. Check out those sites frequently for any more updates or just check back here - I'm pretty good about keeping up on the rumors about the next full OSX release.

Most likely 10.9 development has taken a hit as Apple recently redirected some development assets from it to get iOS7 out the door faster. I think Apple is afraid that with Android's pace of development and now a few Android tablets starting to penetrate the market enough to be development targets they need to refresh their mobile OS ASAP before they lose more marketshare in their core business. I just hope they dont decide to change the underlaying core OS to much again and just focus on user facing and fixing what they broke in ML.

Graphics drivers are still problematic, OpenGL is out of date with oddities laying around, the USB subsystem behaves strangely since the xhci code has been added to it, and there are plenty of general bugs still hanging around. Besides; they need to clean out the last of their Java, X11, and other projects they are relegating to third-party support so we can get rid of these mixed implementations that still have old out of date garbage laying around.

Apple has a ton of work to get 10.9 where 10.8 should have been all along I just hope they start taking OS X seriously again.

• Like 1

Yes, there will not be a retail version anymore and 10.9 will not be available in App Store, the only way to download it is through recovery option on a real Mac with new EFI firmware.

New hardware DRM system will make Chameleon and Clover absolutely non-relevant and require a totally new bootloader in order to make 10.9 to boot on a PC.

Also, there's some bad news for Mac users: 10.9 will not run on earlier models due to hardware limitations and will run on Late 2013 Macs only.

Just kidding, lol.

I was about to write something harsh but then I realized there are kids in the room... Just kidding. Loved the post but Apple does plan to make the recovery partition more important so in the future you could see the app being automatically being downloaded to the recovery partition.

Nothing as of late. At this point it is almost safe to say we are looking at a late Q3 early Q4 release.

• Like 1

No official beta to the devs yet.

I would be the first to know (among other paying devs).

We'll see what comes up ;)

• Like 1

Had a scare for a sec, but i think in the future apple may switch to ARM ios-mac hybrid...so it may well be kind of half truth for the next 10 years.

I reckon the DP will be released June 10, since WWDC will probably start that day, and it'll have similar new features to iOS 7 (which is partly why they haven't released it yet - it would give away new iOS 7 features).

I'm gonna guess Siri, Maps integration and Widgets in the App Store as the main 10.9 features. :)

Screen_Shot_2013_04_13_at_17_45_08.png

• Like 1

I hope they'll add the support for iOS apps

Why in the world would you want that?

iOS apps are made for touch screen devices. They will not transfer that well over to the mouse and keyboard paradigm.

• Like 1

it's very likely that Apple will reveal the next OS X version (10.9) at WWDC 2013 which will take place on Juin 10 - 14 (to be confirmed)

with this, we can think that developers will have the DP1 2 weeks before. :D;)

and when DP1 will be shared, you'll know it on IM :)

it's very likely that Apple will reveal the next OS X version (10.9) at WWDC 2013 which will take place on Juin 10 - 14 (to be confirmed)

with this, we can think that developers will have the DP1 2 weeks before. :D;)

and when DP1 will be shared, you'll know it on IM :)

No. This will never happen.

10.9 DP1 will be announced at WWDC not the final version. There is not enough time to do proper testing and developers would not stand for that.

I hope Apple surprises us all and abandon this yearly life cycle (that failed anyway) for a more Snow-Leopardish life cycle of staying with the current OS for a while and adding features while improving reliability and stability as well. Snow Leopard also was {censored} in the first months, but started to get better and better, until reaching the apex of what the technology of that time could offer. Mountain Lion is slowly going the same way and will be a shame if they simply drop it for some new buggy reinvention of the wheel.

My two cents.

• Like 1