New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

@Romano2K: Check your network configuration, hardware and software, because there is definitely something wrong with the configuration.

Mieze

• Like 1

@Romano2K: Check your network configuration, hardware and software, because there is definitely something wrong with the configuration.

What can I check specifically? I've checked cables and made all the benchmarks I could do. OS X does get 1000baseT, it's just slow in one way. I'm pretty good at solving this kind of problem but this time I'm stuck.

romano2k - why are using an old version? have you tried v2.0?

I've seen that some people were talking about a version 2 beta, but I've checked this thread's first post and InsanelyMac's download section and couldn't find it. Can you help me?

Thank you! I've installed it properly, following your guide: https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X/blob/master/README.md

I still have the same result, very good download speed, bad upload speed.

Another idea?

Another idea?

Something in your network configuration is wrong, probably something which is related to TCP. It doesn't need to be the OS X machine, it might also be your Router. I don't know exactly what it is because I'm no clairvoyant. You'll have to find the reason yourself.

Mieze

• Like 1

Thank you! I've installed it properly, following your guide: https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X/blob/master/README.md

I still have the same result, very good download speed, bad upload speed.

Another idea?

Good evening!

I think have a problem with my Ethernet controller. I have a RTL8111 chipset with Mieze's 1.2.3 kext.

I get very poor upload transfer rates:

— SpeedTest.net: 30 Mbps although I get 200 Mbps with my Windows laptop.

— curl upload to a 10 Gbps Internet server: 655 kB/s instead of 23 MB/s (yes, bytes) with my Linux server.

— SMB transfer: 1.25 MB/s from my hackintosh to my Linux server. I get 125 MB/s (1 Gigabit/s) from my Windows laptop to the same server.

But download works fine:

I get 125 MB/s, so 1 Gigabit/sec from my Linux server to my hackintosh. 950 Mb/s with SpeedTest.net. 26 MB/s with curl from a 10 Gbps Internet server.

What's wrong, what should I do? :)

Try my fork: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Realtek-Network

Back after some testing!

I've tried your fork, even though I haven't understood how it was different from Mieze's original version (can you please tell me in a few words?), but I had the same results.

Something in your network configuration is wrong, probably something which is related to TCP. It doesn't need to be the OS X machine, it might also be your Router. I don't know exactly what it is because I'm no clairvoyant. You'll have to find the reason yourself.

Then I've tried with the old RealtekRTL81xx.kext I've been using with Mavericks and even before, and it now works at full speed.

So one way or another, the problem comes from/with Mieze's kext. But I have to say again that I'm pretty sure that it's slow since I switched Internet provider so the router (in France, the internet provider lends his own router). So it could be related, even though I've no problem with this other kext and with other computers/network equipments.

2 questions remain:

1. Is Mieze's driver better and should I try to fix it on my computer/network? Like lower CPU usage? Better energy saving?

2. Mieze: if you're interested in understanding what is happening, I'm at your disposal to give you debug logs and so on.

I've tried your fork, even though I haven't understood how it was different from Mieze's original version (can you please tell me in a few words?), but I had the same results.

It handles interrupts in a different way. I have crazy poor performance when dealing with SMB shares on my WHS2011 server with Mieze's kext and the way it handles interrupts -- the details are in this thread (long while ago). My version fixes it.

Interestingly the problem only happens on my HP ProBook 4530s and 4540s. I don't have the same issue with my Lenovo u430.

But in informal tests (haven't looked at it in detail), there is lower CPU usage during bulk transfers with my version too, so I continue to use my version even when it isn't needed for throughput reasons.

Note: You can search for "CLEAR_STATUS_IN_INTERRUPT" in my fork to see the changes I made that are relevant to interrupt handling.

But if you tried my version (the latest) and it makes no difference, then you have a different problem.

• Like 1

It handles interrupts in a different way. I have crazy poor performance when dealing with SMB shares on my WHS2011 server with Mieze's kext and the way it handles interrupts -- the details are in this thread (long while ago). My version fixes it.

Interestingly the problem only happens on my HP ProBook 4530s and 4540s. I don't have the same issue with my Lenovo u430.

But in informal tests (haven't looked at it in detail), there is lower CPU usage during bulk transfers with my version too, so I continue to use my version even when it isn't needed for throughput reasons.

Unfortunately this is not true. Due to the lack of proper interrupt moderation it causes an extremely high interrupt rate on most machines which results in an increased CPU load during bulk transfers. I assume that the ProBooks suffer from an unusually high interrupt latency which would be a good explanation of the problem with the driver.

Back after some testing!

Then I've tried with the old RealtekRTL81xx.kext I've been using with Mavericks and even before, and it now works at full speed.

So one way or another, the problem comes from/with Mieze's kext. But I have to say again that I'm pretty sure that it's slow since I switched Internet provider so the router (in France, the internet provider lends his own router). So it could be related, even though I've no problem with this other kext and with other computers/network equipments.

2 questions remain:

1. Is Mieze's driver better and should I try to fix it on my computer/network? Like lower CPU usage? Better energy saving?

2. Mieze: if you're interested in understanding what is happening, I'm at your disposal to give you debug logs and so on.

First of all, RealtekRTL81xx.kext is not a driver but a piece of junk code which violates the GPL deliberately.

Second, according to the information you posted you seem to have made no attempt to find the cause of the problem (with exception of the speed test). You neither posted the chipset you are using nor did you examine the logs. As it is unlikely that you are the only one with this configuration but you are the only one reporting this issue, my intuition tells me that at least a part of the problem is located between the keyboard and the chair.

Mieze

• Like 2

Unfortunately this is not true. Due to the lack of proper interrupt moderation it causes an extremely high interrupt rate on most machines which results in an increased CPU load during bulk transfers. I assume that the ProBooks suffer from an unusually high interrupt latency which would be a good explanation of the problem with the driver.

YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tested this kext in 10.11 DP1? Thanks. :)

Well, I haven't tried but I'm absolutely sure that it will work as expected because I see no reason for a problem.

Mieze

• Like 1

I pushed the official version 2.0.0 to GitHub and updated the prebuilt binary in the download section of this website a few moments ago.

Have fun!  :cat:

Mieze

• Like 7

Unable to boot to desktop with this kext installed.

For some reason, it interferes with my FakePCIID and my Intel Graphics 4600 (04160000) stuff. I get to Apple logo with mouse, then I get a KP.

Removing kext and rebooting twice resolves issue. Not injecting the HD4600 graphics also resolves the issue. However, result is either no net or flickery-as-hell Safari.

For some reason, it interferes with my FakePCIID and my Intel Graphics 4600 (04160000) stuff. I get to Apple logo with mouse, then I get a KP.

Removing kext and rebooting twice resolves issue. Not injecting the HD4600 graphics also resolves the issue. However, result is either no net or flickery-as-hell Safari.

I'm using this RealtekRTL8111.kext along with the various FakePCIID kexts. No issue.

Your problem lies somewhere else.

I'll second RehabMan works fine here with my 4600 enabled.

• 2 weeks later...