Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Thank you! Seems I got off track choosing a suboptimal card. But the fix looks promisingly trivial.

One further simple question: Can you estimate which XML root element that addition is to be made under? (I feel comfortable with XML, even opened the file with xcode to really add the correct attributes, but where? *g*

i would not say its a suboptimal card. simple enough once you get the idea. anyway you put that snippet (kext patch) in the ESP Clover config.plist in the kext patch section. 

• Like 1

i would not say its a suboptimal card. simple enough once you get the idea. anyway you put that snippet (kext patch) in the ESP Clover config.plist in the kext patch section.

It was SUBstantial to find your OPTIMAL link to a solution 12 months ago ;)

There is now a WiFi symbol at the top of the screen, thank you!

(Also in the name of my stepdaughter who is going to receive one of the two T420 I am installing *g*)

• Like 1

Hi 

i'm looking  help for my GUI/Custom/Entries :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Custom</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Theme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Power</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Hotkey</key>
<string>;</string>
<key>Ignore</key>
<false/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<false/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>44E86931-28CD-4CD7-826F-1DD87B13xxx</string>
<key>VolumeType</key>
<string>Internal</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Theme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>OS X Recovery</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Hotkey</key>
<string>r</string>
<key>Ignore</key>
<false/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSXRecovery</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>DAA4D03C-A827-4716-B547-6BCC1563Bxxx</string>
<key>VolumeType</key>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Theme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Windows 10</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Hotkey</key>
<string>z</string>
<key>Ignore</key>
<false/>
<key>Path</key>
<string>\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Windows</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>F5148CCB-2049-450D-AC80-E5CA6EFxxx</string>
<key>VolumeType</key>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Theme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Macintosh HD</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Ignore</key>
<false/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<false/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>Macintosh HD</string>
<key>VolumeType</key>
<array>
<string>External</string>
</array>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Theme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<true/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Recovery HD</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<string>Always</string>
<key>Ignore</key>
<true/>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Path</key>
<string>\com.apple.recovery.boot\boot.efi</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSXRecovery</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>9A01B8F7-EDB4-47DD-BC7D-F893FE8Axxxx</string>
<key>VolumeType</key>
<array>
<string>External</string>
</array>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

my 2nd hd (10.13.2) is Macintosh HD 

it's only boot if i press space then inject kext...

in fact this HD has not Hack kexts in /S/L/E nor in /L/E

i would like a standard boot lol (no spécial action)

FYI this Hd boot a real mac with no problem

while Power HD 10.12.6 (1st HD) has kexts in /L/E and work great

the aim of that action is to set all my HD with no kext in /S/l/E nor in /L/E

perfect for upgrade

thanks for any tips

Enjoy the end of the year :)

Hi All!

I’ve finally decided to upgrade to High Sierra.

I updated to the latest T420 package and then to the latest Sierra first. Everything was working fine.

Then I ran the High Sierra installer feom the Mac appstore and after the installation was completed the machine got reatarted and I ended up in the Clover menu without any system to boot into.

I’ve lost the option to boot into Mac OS.

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

@somez - hmm not sure what is the problem. do you have the apfs.efi driver in the ESP? (assuming High Sierra converted your SSD format from HFS to APFS). 

@tetonne - i dont understand why you need to force kexts to load. detect mode looks for FakeSMC on the HD... otherwise if that fails, you can set Inject Kext true in config.plist

what are you trying to do with custom entries? i only use to rename my windows boot option:

<key>Custom</key>
  <dict>
   <key>Comment</key>
   <string>Windows Entries</string>
   <key>Entries</key>
   <array>
    <dict>
     <key>FullTitle</key>
     <string>Boot Windows 10</string>
     <key>Type</key>
     <string>Windows</string>
     <key>Volume</key>
     <string>2A125BB9-B377-4701-9244-FBA3EADB8B4D</string>
    </dict>
   </array>
  </dict>

and i then i have this to hide the preboot partition

<key>Hide</key>
  <array>
   <string>Preboot</string>
  </array>

what does your clover boot.log look like? mine looks like this (on clover 4364 which added kext version number in log)

5:887  0:000  Beginning FSInjection
FSInjectionInstall ...
- Our FSI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL installed on handle: B5C63318
FSInjectionInstall ...
- Our FSI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL installed on handle: B5C63318
5:896  0:008  Use origin smbios table type 1 guid.
5:907  0:010  Preparing kexts injection for arch=x86_64 from EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other
5:907  0:000  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\VoodooPS2Controller.kext (v.1.8.29)
5:920  0:012    |-- PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\VoodooPS2Controller.kext\Contents\PlugIns\VoodooPS2Mouse.kext (v.1.8.29)
5:930  0:010    |-- PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\VoodooPS2Controller.kext\Contents\PlugIns\VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (v.1.8.29)
5:947  0:016    |-- PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\VoodooPS2Controller.kext\Contents\PlugIns\VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext (v.1.8.29)
5:962  0:015  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\Lilu.kext (v.1.2.2)
5:973  0:010  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\IntelMausiEthernet.kext (v.2.3.0d0)
5:982  0:009  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (v.1.0.0)
5:987  0:004  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext (v.1443)
6:005  0:017    |-- PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\ACPISensors.kext (v.1443)
6:021  0:016    |-- PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\CPUSensors.kext (v.1443)
6:030  0:009  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\EFICheckDisabler.kext (v.0.5)
6:038  0:008  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\BlueTooth_Injector_T420.kext (v.1.0.0)
6:042  0:003  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\AppleBacklightInjector.kext (v.0.9.2)
6:048  0:006  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\AppleALC.kext (v.1.2.2)
6:063  0:014    |-- PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\AppleALC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\PinConfigs.kext (v.1.0.0)
6:430  0:366  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\ACPIPoller.kext (v.0.8.1)
6:441  0:011  Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\41786UU\kexts\Other\ACPIBatteryManager.kext (v.1.81.4)
6:461  0:020  SetScreenResolution: 1600x900 - already set
  • Like 1

@somez - hmm not sure what is the problem. do you have the apfs.efi driver in the ESP? (assuming High Sierra converted your SSD format from HFS to APFS). 

Hi tluck,

I don't know, but it doesn't matter anymore. I wiped my macintoshHD and now using Ubuntu temporarily. The problem is that my wife's other hackintosh at the same time stopped booting up (fsck finds issues cannot be repaired) and I'm left without any bootable MacOS installer :(

I'm now trying to breathe life into my wife's hackintosh using the recovery mode and reinstall the OS. Hope that will work and then I can reinstall my T420 as well.

Lessons learned. Always make a backup before you upgrade, and always keep bootable installers in your drawer :D

Hi tluck,

I don't know, but it doesn't matter anymore. I wiped my macintoshHD and now using Ubuntu temporarily. The problem is that my wife's other hackintosh at the same time stopped booting up (fsck finds issues cannot be repaired) and I'm left without any bootable MacOS installer :(

I'm now trying to breathe life into my wife's hackintosh using the recovery mode and reinstall the OS. Hope that will work and then I can reinstall my T420 as well.

Lessons learned. Always make a backup before you upgrade, and always keep bootable installers in your drawer :D

Ok, I managed to reinstall Sierra on my wife's HP and I could make an installer for my T420 which is working now.

My question is, how do I make sure my upgrade to High Sierra will not fail again?

@somez - hard to say without knowing what the problem was before... i have been downloading the high sierra since 10.13.0 and upgraded my 2 T420 boxes without such an occurrence. regardless I recommend you make a usb installer with High Sierra - i keep one handy in case i need to boot from it and use the full installation. i had a random KP on my dell and it failed during an upgrade so i just used to USB to re-install on top of the partially updated version and all was good.

@somez - hard to say without knowing what the problem was before... i have been downloading the high sierra since 10.13.0 and upgraded my 2 T420 boxes without such an occurrence. regardless I recommend you make a usb installer with High Sierra - i keep one handy in case i need to boot from it and use the full installation. i had a random KP on my dell and it failed during an upgrade so i just used to USB to re-install on top of the partially updated version and all was good.

Np tluck, I'll experiment later with High Sierra.

My T420 is now running fine on Sierra and I got another T420 for my wife. Unfortunately i haven't thought about the whitelisted BIOS so I've already installed Sierra and only then replaced the WiFi card.

Is there any way to flash the hacked BIOS without wiping my Sierra installation? Because I would wipe it to install Win 7, flash BIOS and then install Sierra.

Thanks.

if memory serves, you can flash from a DOS bootable USB.  so you may not need windows to do that. but maybe easier just to install windows?

if you have just 1 HD and there is a lot of free space (about 40 GB). then i would just create a 2nd HFS partition using disk utility.  and then install windows (you can leave not activated etc).  delete that 2nd OSX partition using the windows tools as part of windows installation.

happy New Year to all of U :)

update : info bout my GUI/Custom/Entries...

Thanks again tluck : the issue is not due to my entries cos change my config.plist or boot with tluck config.plist (at boot gui space option...) gave the same result with my 10.13.2 hd (if i do not force @gui boot inject) then no boot, no problem if i inject at boot.

fakesmc.kext fantoms must be in cache lol

all action found about it on internet have been done...

touch /System/Library/Extensions && kextcache -Boot -U /

​i will verify Beginning FSInjection in log at next boot on this hd

thanks again tluck

• Like 1

happy New Year to all of U :)

My family (inc. my so worst feeded greyhound) wish you al a very perfect 2018 Command line types.

My worst feeded greyhound in the world has plenty useful Nails, sometimes cleverer than mines ;P

Let's see what kind of life Will 2018 bring us so.

Happy new day!

• Like 1

@tluck my bios has that option (prolly because it was the latest bios found -date of upload-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ianoibx5i7rn1d/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL_LEN21_ADV_RAM_Speedo_AES_vBios-2170.zip?dl=0

Public for everyone who needs it

Guys, who has this BIOS and willing share with me? The link above does not work anymore.

Thanks.

i like the APFS patch for sure - the debug flash before clover GUI is gone. was meaning to look into this.  I will add a patched apfs.efi in future bundles. i am directly patched apfs.efi during my clover installer package build now. thanks and thanks to PMHeart for figuring an easy fix out.

what is the 2nd patch one for? the battery kext has poll delay function which is set to 4 seconds. is that not enough?

noticed that 4 seconds delay was not working - the battery thing disappears from the menu bar.  so i upped the pol delay to 16 seconds and now it stays there after reboot.

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

I miss hack :(

i've a iMac

but can't help being here... my hp 840 seems to be great (SSD inside withi5 6300U) t460 like

but knowing that i won't be able to hack cos of bios locked is unacceptable for me, if it wasn't kacintashable i would deal with it but, it could be easily 

i need to share my soul sorry

i've a iMac

but can't help being here... my hp 840 seems to be great (SSD inside withi5 6300U) t460 like

but knowing that i won't be able to hack cos of bios locked is unacceptable for me, if it wasn't kacintashable i would deal with it but, it could be easily 

Did you buy that Elitebook used? That would explain the BIOS lock

i've a iMac

Send me all picture of Bios of /System Configuration

/Boot Options

/Device Configuration

/Built in Device Options

/Port Options

Send me the picture in Private Message I am try to help you  ;)

• Like 1

no it's new it belong to my company

ssd use bitlocker

upgrade or update of bios can't be imagine it's a work tool ;)

can't do that cos

Esc@boot give me :

Startup menu: 

continue boot

system information F1 (available)

System diag (available too)

Boot menu (F9) ask for a password

No   F10