Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

At first I wanted to say, thank you very much for the great guide @tluck!

I installed El Capitan on my Lenovo W520 just fine and it is running very smooth. Now I have some questions left where I hope you can help:

• As my real Mac is pretty old, El Capitan is the latest OS I can get from the AppStore... The Hackintosh just downloaded the High Sierra Installer and I am wondering if I can do the Upgrade safely, since all Kexts are already prepared for High Sierra as far as I have understood?

• I ordered a mini PCI-Express half size card with Atheros AR 9281 Chipset... This will work out of the box, right? (I flashed version 1.43 BIOS so I guess withlisting has been disabled?)

• Since the card is on its way, do I need to prepare something before installing? I read something about installing an ...80211 kext ?

• What I further could not find out, will there also be bluetooth support provided by the wifi card?

• And last but not least, is it generally possible to clone the HDD (with dd and Linux e.g.) to an SSD of same size!?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best
Hook

welcome hook-knocker

i think you can upgrade to HS but i would advice you to set kext in the EFi partition (better than in /L/E)

HD can be use to boot a mac and your Hack

for last point use Carbon Copy cloner for mac partition only

At first I wanted to say, thank you very much for the great guide @tluck!

I installed El Capitan on my Lenovo W520 just fine and it is running very smooth. Now I have some questions left where I hope you can help:

• As my real Mac is pretty old, El Capitan is the latest OS I can get from the AppStore... The Hackintosh just downloaded the High Sierra Installer and I am wondering if I can do the Upgrade safely, since all Kexts are already prepared for High Sierra as far as I have understood?

• I ordered a mini PCI-Express half size card with Atheros AR 9281 Chipset... This will work out of the box, right? (I flashed version 1.43 BIOS so I guess withlisting has been disabled?)

• Since the card is on its way, do I need to prepare something before installing? I read something about installing an ...80211 kext ?

• What I further could not find out, will there also be bluetooth support provided by the wifi card?

• And last but not least, is it generally possible to clone the HDD (with dd and Linux e.g.) to an SSD of same size!?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best

Hook

May I ask which one is your old mac?

Regards

@hook-knocker

to upgrade to High Sierra you can typically download and install directly if you are running the lastest clover zip etc. 

i recommend making a usb installer too.

you can clone with dd if you know what you are doing - i used to copy my windows stuff using dd. i use carbon copy for my macOS copy

if you have modded your bios, you may be able to just put in the chip and go.

i use Atheros AR5BHB92 aka 9280 and it works OOTB - no extra kexts etc.

but it is just wifi. bluetooth is a separate chip .

May I ask which one is your old mac?

Regards

iMac 24" early 2009 , why?

welcome hook-knocker

i think you can upgrade to HS but i would advice you to set kext in the EFi partition (better than in /L/E)

HD can be use to boot a mac and your Hack

for last point use Carbon Copy cloner for mac partition only

As far as I've understood the basic kext are already stored in the EFI partition when following tlucks guide?

@hook-knocker

to upgrade to High Sierra you can typically download and install directly if you are running the lastest clover zip etc. 

i recommend making a usb installer too.

you can clone with dd if you know what you are doing - i used to copy my windows stuff using dd. i use carbon copy for my macOS copy

if you have modded your bios, you may be able to just put in the chip and go.

i use Atheros AR5BHB92 aka 9280 and it works OOTB - no extra kexts etc.

but it is just wifi. bluetooth is a separate chip .

Alright! I will try :)

Another thing I just found out: What about the USB3 ports? They are currently dead... is there a kext for that, too?

Thank you all,

best hook

^yes, kexts are in Efi partition.

FYI I always follow tluck's recommandations 

kexts were in /L/E before and for unknown reason if my FakeSMC.kext was not in /L/E i had to boot with inject kext at boot GUI

if it was it directly boot

iMac 24" early 2009 , why?

As far as I've understood the basic kext are already stored in the EFI partition when following tlucks guide?

Alright! I will try :)

Another thing I just found out: What about the USB3 ports? They are currently dead... is there a kext for that, too?

Thank you all,

best hook

Just in case it can be of any help...

http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

• Like 1

Hi!

I can't seem to boot into the installer itself for some reason....

When i launch the clover USB in UEFI or LEGACY mode, I see my "Winodws 10" but not the "Boot MacOS Installer"

Does anyone know what to do in this case?

Never experienced this before :-/

@RedTailSan

so do you see the windows option in Clover or does it just move on to boot windows?

if you can get to the ESP on that disk, temporarily move the Microsoft directory out of the picture.

or reorder your boot priority list in bios.

@tluck

I found the problem.

Multiple people has this problem when they used the "dosdude1 High Sierra Patcher" to download the installer app.

I managed to download the app from the app store, and are currently installing macOS 10.13.2

Sorry for the confusion :-)

Hi All,

I've decided to update my installation (I'm still on Sierra, and not planning to upgrade to HS yet).

I was following the steps in the post installation section (as usual), downloaded the latest tluck package from github and upgraded to Clover r4392 (I couldn't find r4391 on github).

When I reach the step

cd ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/

sudo ./_kext-install.command

I get weird errors:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext PinConfigs.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AppleALC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIPoller.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext

kxld[org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC]: ___strlcpy_chk

kxld[org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC]: ___strncpy_chk

Link failed (error code 5).

Prelink failed for org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use FakeSMC.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use FakeSMC.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors; omitting from prelinked kernel.

KernelCache ID: 03796B34B5BA3E5A42EB511B45F36931

… done!

I have not yet rebooted my machine, being afraid of it will not boot into Sierra successfully. Do you guys have any idea what went wrong and how can I fix it?

Thank you.

Hey guys,

my system is running almost fine now, but I'm having some minor issues... maybe you can help:

I tried to install the latest HS update from the Appstore, but the installer failed saying that "MacOs could not be installed on your computer". Before I see it failing it seems that there is some graphic issue, I see some white lines on a black background...

I also have some horizontal pink/white lines in some videos in photos app, so I suspect there is something going on with the graphic card?

Another thing is, that I want to use the laptop on a dock with DVI connector. I read something about disabling some kext, but I cannot find it?

Third is the USB 3 Port... any chance to get it working?

Thank you in advance!

Best

hook

darn. i thought i had recompiled and posted the sierra compatible kexts. but i guess not. i will post revised kexts

Np, tluck and thanks in advance for fixing it.

By the way, I’ve found an incorrect path for the ACPIpoller.kext installation guide.

In your package it has been moved to a sub-folder which is deeper than what the guide says.

I’m on iPhone now so I can’t give you the exact path at the moment. It’s not a dealbreaker but I thought it’s worth mentioning.

Thanks again!

@Somez

I reposted the release on GitHub and it seems to work for both Sierra and High Sierra

And fixed up the Guide for ACPIPoller.kext path etc. 

Thanks.

@hook-knocker 

perhaps move the ESP/EFI/Microsoft folder temporarily out of the way. this may lead to that install error.

DVI on Dock - check the Guide for Framebuffer edits, one of patches is probably putting VGA on that port?

@Somez

I reposted the release on GitHub and it seems to work for both Sierra and High Sierra

And fixed up the Guide for ACPIPoller.kext path etc. 

Hi tluck,

Works fine now.

Minor correction for the ACPIpoller guide:

correct path should be

cd ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.01.28/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Misc/

(your path is missing the 's' for the folder name kexts)

Thanks.

@somez - thanks - fixed the guide (again).

Note: i have been put all the custom kexts only in ESP - and not installing them /Library/Extensions - but this is up the end-user to decide.

Which step is this in the guide?

Is it this one?

sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

cp -a ~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/EFI/ /Volumes/ESP/EFI

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER

mv config.1600x900.plist config.plist

What are the pros and cons of putting the kexts into the /Library/Extensions folder?

If I have copied them there before so would it matter if I remove them now?

Thanks.

Hi All!

Since upgrading to High Sierra (or to Clover 4394?) I experience random freezes when I leave the machine alone for a while. When I come back the screen is black and nothing happens, I cannot wake the LCD up or test if the system is running in the background and only my screen is frozen. Sometimes the screen freezes with the windows open, so it's not black.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Hi @all,

I think I broke my system somehow :( maybe you have an idea... As there was no output on any graphic output on the dock I found, that the option for enabling "Digital on Dock" is bound to discrete graphic. So I switched BIOS setting to discrete graphic which made the output work on my external screen, but did not boot (Progressbar with apple logo).

So I switched back to Internal Graphic only in BIOS, but Clover Graphic settings still shows an Nvidia Card and so I cannot set Inject Intel option as before. Can I revert to the Intel Card in Clover?

I guess operation with multiple/external screen on Internal graphic wont work at all then?

Please help! Thank you!

best

hook

EDIT: Seems the BIOS did not save the settings... after BIOS reset I works again!