Generic USB2.0 (EHCI) Driver

orByte

474 posts in this topic

Hi Thanks for the info. This is very useful. Some users are reporting that the new version works with nF4, have you by any chance tried the new driver on your system ?

Best

I've installed your new version and it works great! Thanks very much!

Before trying it, I installed a fresh copy of the AMD Test1 ISO, and EHCI was loading fine. I then replaced OpenGL.Framework with the proper 10.4.8 version (nothing else), did the usual repair etc, and when I rebooted EHCI would not load. I put back the original OpenGL.Framework, but it didn't bring EHCI back - but your fix did. There's something deep going on here.

Excellent work, thanks again

:pirate2: NEW VERSION RELEASE NOTE :pirate2:

I am pleased to announce a new version of the PCGenUSBEHCI series. Also I would like to thank to mac fly for suggesting a solution for cases where PCGen could not acquire OS Ownership due to completely buggy (i.e., ignoring OS reset request) SMI handling. The solution was to make a forced BIOS ownership reset, after all other approaches had failed. The code does therefore retain backward compatibility.

In essence, this release brings us in line with the Linux 'pci-quirks' handling, and we should now be able to get OWNERSHIP after reboot on all (edit: I should say 'almost all' :-) ) systems. However, please note that there other other documented causes for non-functional EHCI, and these remain. In my archives, I have listed an 'Unable to get device memory error' with ATI SB200 - this is a completely different kind of error. Also there appear problems with the nVidia nf4 under DFI LANPARTY - which are not related to OS Ownership. These remain under investigation, with the hope that we will one day have as broad an EHCI driver as possible.

Installation and usage instructions are included in the download archives. The download area is as usual at the beginning of this post.

There is now in the Info.plist file, a parameter called

<key>AlwaysHardBIOSReset</key>
<true/>

This should be fine on most systems. However, if the system hangs after reboot, switch this to <false/>. Very likely, you WILL need to do this on 10.4.6 .

Best

WORK !!!!!!! :P

in 10.4.7 - 10.4.8 HP pavillion dv5000

TANKS TANKS TANKS TANKS...........

Edited by pincopanco

I d like to take a moment to thank everybody for their questions, requests and answers. And thanks also to mac fly for his great suggestion - without your contributions - this project would not be where it is today.

:thumbsup_anim: Happy holidays & a :) happy new year!

BEST

I have been working on ATI chipset support. PCGenUSBEHCI seems to work fine on the ATI SB400 chipset.

Test system:

-----------------------------

Elitegroup ECS RS482-M MB

256MB DDR

40GB SATA HD (VIAATA with 0x437a1002 0x43791002)

EHCI fine with: JaS 10.4.6 + PCGen 256.4.2a

Best

Wen using the usb 2.0 driver on my Nforce 4 system when transferring Multiple files it freezes during the file transfer requiring me to reboot the computer and to unplug the drive then replug it to regain access to the drive. It affects Mac file systems and Fat file systems.

Wen using the usb 2.0 driver on my Nforce 4 system when transferring Multiple files it freezes during the file transfer requiring me to reboot the computer and to unplug the drive then replug it to regain access to the drive. It affects Mac file systems and Fat file systems.

Hi what's your motherboard make/model? Does it happen with an external USB hard drive? I.e. what kind of peripheral does it happen with? All of them or just a specific one?

From what you ve said, its hard for me to distinguish whether this is coming from the usb device or the driver. I know of one HARD DRIVE that does NOT work as a USB hard drive here it is: MDL MD00400-BJDW SATA 40GB will work fine as a SATA drive but NOT as a USB drive - producing a

102.342 [2]	IOUSBPipe[0x3896280]::Write - invalid write on a stalled pipe

error.

If you have the 'debugging' version of the IOUSB Family installed, you can run the usb logger in XCode say level 3, and then start the file copy and read off the logger output. Otherwise, are there any entries in the system log? If none of this makes sense, pls. post

uname -psrv, kextstat, and ioreg | grep USB, and /var/log/system.log | grep USB (this one from last reboot only pls.)

- And, what happens when you are copying from one USB device to another? We would need to rule out ATA/SATA drives as causes as well.

Anyhow, just some ideas...

Best

I got the drive to work again by booting into windows and deleting the partition table then reformatting it.

The hard drive in question is 2.5 laptop model ide. I havent tried to copy large #'s of large files but will as soon as i reboot.

USB TO IDE:

Capacity:	55.89 GB
 Removable Media:	Yes
 Detachable Drive:	Yes
 BSD Name:	disk4
 Version:	0.02
 Bus Power (mA):	500
 Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
 OS9 Drivers:	No
 Product ID:	0x0702
 S.M.A.R.T. status:	Not Supported
 Vendor ID:	0x05e3
 Volumes:
SHARED:
 Capacity:	55.88 GB
 Available:	43.22 GB
 Writable:	Yes
 File System:	MS-DOS FAT32
 BSD Name:	disk4s5
 Mount Point:	/Volumes/SHARED

That is what the system profiler shows.

[edit]Copied 12 GB from it successfully (Took around 13 min) .

Then formatted it Fat32 successfully.

Wrote 4.29 GB out of 12gb and it froze.

Seems like something happens during the Writing phase.

Edited by AppleIIGuy

I got the drive to work again by booting into windows and deleting the partition table then reformatting it.

The hard drive in question is 2.5 laptop model ide. I havent tried to copy large #'s of large files but will as soon as i reboot.

[edit]Copied 12 GB from it successfully (Took around 13 min) .

Then formatted it Fat32 successfully.

Wrote 4.29 GB out of 12gb and it froze.

Seems like something happens during the Writing phase.

Hi

Thanks for the info. So first you read 12 GB from the drive (no problem). Then you attempted to write 12GB to the drive, but it broke off around 4.29 GB. Correct?

It could be a stalled write pipe or related USB error (but that shouldn't make the drive unusable). If you could install a USB logger that could help confirm. The other possibility is that there is a problem on the nF4 side with the VIAATA kext (is that the one you are using?) - this could make the drive unusable - requiring reformatting. What's your system's make/model. I take it the drive is generic or is it labeled?

Did this happen only once? Or more than once, always around the 4.29 GB mark? If you break up the copy operation in chunks of <4GB, does it work or does it still get stuck?

Best

Yep my system is a Nforce 4 it is a generic usb 2.0 case. If I copy files around 150 mb or less one ata time it doesnt freeze but if i try copying multiple files of that size it will freeze up.

This ll be tough to trace... If you get a chance, could you also try this please: copy files from the usb disk TO another location on the usb disk. That would tell us that it is USB related for sure. In the meantime, I ll add this to my bug report list.

Thanks & Best!

Hi,

I'm having some problem with my USB ports. They are not working : I can't see hardware mounted anywhere when plugged but USB ports are detected in system profil.

When I use this driver I can't see them mounted also but in system profil in usb section I can see under High speed "iPod" when my iPod is connected for exemple. If I check the finder or the desktop this ipod is not there even in iTune. In general without this driver i have nothing realated to usb, and whith it i just can see it in system profiler.

I try many methods to fix that (USB legacy in bios, with or whitout this driver...) but still nothing. Previous version of IOUSBFamily give me no more usb detected in system profile and error message at startup (yellow lines and stuff)

My specs :

Asus A8V Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 (SSE2)

OSX 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1 beta9 exp6

Nvidia 6600GT fully working wit natit (installer)

I have to specify that they were working with the previous version of the kernel AND IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3

Do you need some more information?

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanx in advance

Works great with a DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR Expert board.

No more replugging of USB devices after boot and USB 2.0 devices now work great! Thanks so much!

post-68168-1168157637_thumb.png

The strange thing is that the USB drive I have only gets around 800 kb/sec of transfer speed whereas it gets about 19 mb/sec in Windows. However, the same thing happens on my PowerBook, so I guess it's just the stick.

Hi,

I'm having some problem with my USB ports. They are not working : I can't see hardware mounted anywhere when plugged but USB ports are detected in system profil.

When I use this driver I can't see them mounted also but in system profil in usb section I can see under High speed "iPod" when my iPod is connected for exemple. If I check the finder or the desktop this ipod is not there even in iTune. In general without this driver i have nothing realated to usb, and whith it i just can see it in system profiler.

I try many methods to fix that (USB legacy in bios, with or whitout this driver...) but still nothing. Previous version of IOUSBFamily give me no more usb detected in system profile and error message at startup (yellow lines and stuff)

My specs :

Asus A8V Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 (SSE2)

OSX 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1 beta9 exp6

Nvidia 6600GT fully working wit natit (installer)

I have to specify that they were working with the previous version of the kernel AND IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3

Do you need some more information?

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanx in advance

Hi looks like your OSX installation is mangled. Have you installed 2.5.6 or 2.6.1. You d need 2.6.1. I m not familiar with the 8.8.1 beta9 exp6 kernel. Is this the semthex one try

uname -psrv

. The only thing I can say is, try a different installation. Sorry. Best.

one more thing: you might need to rerun the amd patcher.

Edited by orByte

I just wanted to post to thank you, orByte (and mac fly as well!) for all your hard work and effort. I'm running 10.4.7 on a Compaq Presario c304, and it's been hell getting most of the hardware to work. The problem many Compaq (and HP, who now owns Compaq) users face is the limited BIOS shipped with new systems-- you can only really change the date/time/boot order, and maybe a couple of other options. Thanks to your driver, I've snatched EHCI control away from their crippled BIOS.

Keep up the excellent work. :wallbash:

hi,

Could someone please upload this kext to other webspace. Sendspace is alway show "reached daily download limit".

My system get freeze whenever access USB and SATA harddisk at same time. I really want to try this kext.

Sorry for my english.

thanks

Edited by bumpy

hi,

Could someone please upload this kext to other webspace. Sendspace is alway show "reached daily download limit".

My system get freeze whenever access USB and SATA harddisk at same time. I really want to try this kext.

Sorry for my english.

thanks

bumpy,

What kernel are you using? I can attach it to a pm or a regular email if you'd like.

Nevermind. Looked at your sig, I'll send along the appropriate kext, I just need your email addy as this forum doesn't support uploading attachments to PMs (at least as far as I can tell).

I just download it via proxy server. Sendspace seem to block my isp or country :rolleyes:

thanks LoveableGeek

=============

update: it work. :( i love u orByte.

Edited by bumpy

DFI lanparty NF4-ultraD + nvidia 7800gt working with your KEXT.

In fact using a ps2 to usb converter for the keyboard and a usb mouse :P

(i have no keyboard during bios bootup but that is a minor quirk that does not matter to me)

Also when os x gui boots a dialog box saying that an usb device is drawing too much current and it is going to deactivate the hub it is connected to. anyway its a minor inconvenience.

Another problem :When copying data to a memory card using a usb2 memory card reader finder hangs, not always in the same point.

Thanks a lot orByte! :D

Edited by chinchampu

DFI lanparty NF4-ultraD + nvidia 7800gt working with your KEXT.

Also when os x gui boots a dialog box saying that an usb device is drawing too much current and it is going to deactivate the hub it is connected to. anyway its a minor inconvenience.

Another problem :When copying data to a memory card using a usb2 memory card reader finder hangs, not always in the same point.

Thanks a lot orByte! :pirate2:

It could be that the PS2 to USB converter is registered as a hub. If you have a jumper on the motherboard, that supplies current to the USB ports, it might help.

On the second problem: I suspect this is some kind of NF4-interaction problem. If I ever get my hands on a DFI board I ll have a look. Or is the card reader being read as a hub? It could also be the card reader itself.

Best

It could be that the PS2 to USB converter is registered as a hub. If you have a jumper on the motherboard, that supplies current to the USB ports, it might help.

On the second problem: I suspect this is some kind of NF4-interaction problem. If I ever get my hands on a DFI board I ll have a look. Or is the card reader being read as a hub? It could also be the card reader itself.

Best

Mmm maybe its the ps2 to usb converter, but the keyboard keeps working even that it says that is has disabled the hub.

Maybe the card reader is picky with the nf4, works ok in win and linux though.

Thanks again for your great work (*me happily moves his usb mouse*) :(

Ill try to have some time to do some tests by booting with different things plugged.

Edited by chinchampu

Just wanted to add a report that this driver fixes the "no USB" problem with my HP Compaq Presario C300 (same as HP G3000) family machine. The BIOS on these machines doesn't have an option to disable legacy USB support.

Perhaps the machine references will help other users searching for the fix to this problem.