[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Hello, i need your help. I have a Asrock z75 pro3 and i try to patch my bios but i fail.

Could you help me??

PMPatch 0.5.11

PowerManagement modules not found.

Trying to apply patch #1

Nested PowerManagement module al 003C7504 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

AMI nest module at 00247240 not patched: PowerManagement modules not found in ne

sted module.

Poenix nest modules not found.

CpuPei module at 0075A488 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

• Like 1

Interesting. Will look at it and reply a bit later.

UPD: worked for me on the latest BIOS

D:\Projects\PMPatch\build\Release>PMPatch.exe Z75PRO31.80 Z75PRO31.80.MOD
PMPatch 0.5.11
PowerManagement modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerManagement module at 003C7504 patched.
AMI nest module at 00247240 patched.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 0075A488 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.

Z75PRO31.zip

This is interesting, maybe some other code locks the 0xE2 register on your board.

Can you make BIOS region dump with FTK?

Please download FTK for Windows, unpack and run biosbck.bat from Win32 or Win64 folder as Administrator.

Attach produced biosbck.bin file to your reply. Thanks in advance.

And for all users of ASUS Z77 and X79 board. It seems, that new BIOSes are protected from flashing with FTK!

Check out my topic on MDL for possible solutions, that we may work out.

Hi there CodeRush, I am having some trouble with your utility, every time I try to run it from Terminal I end up receiving a segmentation fault error (11) What am I doing wrong?

I followed all the steps on your tutorial, my board is a Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and the UEFI version is 2.80.

Please Help

Is this that you needed?

Yes, thanks. Will look at possible lock as soon as I will be near my developer PC.

UPD: this BIOS file has no additional locks on 0xE2 register, as far as I see.

Are you sure your kernel panics are related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext? Can you try running OS X installer from DVD or USB-drive and see if it passes AICPM.kext loading?

Hi there CodeRush, I am having some trouble with your utility, every time I try to run it from Terminal I end up receiving a segmentation fault error (11) What am I doing wrong?

I followed all the steps on your tutorial, my board is a Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and the UEFI version is 2.80.

Please Help

Maybe you are using OS X 10.7 or previous? The compile a compatible version using XCode or use Windows one.

This is your patched file:Z77EXT42.80.zip

• Like 1

maxihouston, use normal bootloader without so much {censored} at startup. Clover is good enough.

I can't provide any support in your case, because I don't know a thing about Chimera. Ask someone on TMX86, they may know more.

This is definitely not AICPM.kext related problem and I can't help you here, sorry.

C:\>pmpatch P8P67-LE-ASUS-3702.rom P8P67-LE-ASUS-3702_patched.rom

PMPatch 0.5.11

PowerManagement module at 0032CCA8 patched.

AMI nest modules not found.

Phoenix nest modules not found.

CpuPei module at 003DA1F8 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

Output file generated.

hi, i'm using an Asrock Z77 OC Formula and 3770k, now I used PMPatch to patche my 2.00 bios and the output generated is attached.. my question is, the powermanagement module is not found, is this fine? thank you558972_439977626097280_1026879806_n.jpg

powermanagement module is not found, is this fine?

Yes. If output file is generated, then one of possible modules to patch was found. In your case, it was PowerManagement module inside AMI nest module.

This is very polular question, so I'm adding a note about it to the first post.

For info, patched 1805 bios (latest) for Asus P8Z77-VPro.

I use BRenamer tool downloaded from Asus site to convert patched bios to CAP format and flash it using Asus Bios Flashback procedure.

No problem, boots and works fine under 10.8.3

• Like 1

Version 0.5.12 is out. No significant code changes, just some refactoring of compression code taken from EDK2.

This is the last non-bugfix release of PMPatch, all new patches will be implemented in UUBP project coming soon.

Compiled binary for Windows is ready, OS X binary will be added later.

Hi CodeRush

Thanks for an excellent application. You might be aware that Asus has just released BIOS 1908 for their Z77 motherboards.

As previosly PMPATCH appeared to mod the BIOS correctly for power management.

I am a Clover user which has developed considerably in the past months. It is using Apple's nvram to write aspects of the configuration like a real mac to NVRAM.

However with the 1908 BIOS, one can modify the nvram in OSX, but it is NOT saved on a reboot, whereas with the previous version 1805 it works fine.

I have tried the new bios with Clover in modded and unmodded form and it is the same, it does not save the NVRAM in OSX after a reboot.

Asus in their wisdom have made changes preventing the NVRAM saving in 1908. With you expertise in modding BIOS have you any ideas what would be needed to make the changes to the 1908 bios so that it worked with a hackintosh booted with Clover.

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

I hope it's a bug in new BIOS versions. ASUS made changes to NVRAM-related modules because of old BIOS bug called "stuck turbo-multipliers", and they even introduced new NvramSmi.ffs EFI driver to make the work with NVRAM less buggy on their boards. Another part of this modification is a new protection of BIOS region introduced it the same 19xx versions, so now only USB BIOS Flashback and ASUS tools can write anything to BIOS region of the chip. This protection makes FTK/FPT/DPCIManager/flashrom unusable for BIOS flashing.

I don't have access to ASUS Z77 board, so I can't do anything about it now. The primary goal is to remove the write-protection, but I'll be aware of this NVRAM bug and will try to correct it, but only if I will have a board for testing.

Some other people from overclockers.ru are trying to remove protection now, but there is no success for now on.

In your case - use UBF to flash your modified 18xx back and stay there untill the bug will be corrected.

• Like 1

Thanks CodeRush - much appreciated. In days when home built PCs are becoming fewer and fewer as locally in Singapore a tech hot spot in the region dealers are lucky to sell 1/3 of the motherborads they did five years ago, It is really quite serious as laptops/tablets take over.

I really cannot understand why Asus are doing this as I am sure many sales are for either Gamers of hackintoshers. Gigabyte have not done this so far but who knows. Asus was always my preferred brand for reliability but why I have no idea they want to make it more difficult for customers who will look elsewhere. It cannot be considered a smart marketing tool in a failing economy where demand is falling rapidly. Strange as they will be the loosers. I have tried to talk to Asus here previously but they won't even consider looking at problems on unsupported platforms. I would hope that their motherboard firmware is not as ropy as that they produce for their routers, which is {censored} and open to others like DDRwt to make them work.

Thanks for your help and advice - much appreciated.

• Like 1

Lenovo Y500 UEFI based on InsydeH2O patched succesfully

[but still unable to boot installer because of black screen, then colling goes maximum speed for like 20sec, then shutdown -tried everything, DSDT, fixes, bootloader commands, vanilla files, hacked distros.. nothing, so waiting for a bootloader fix]

• Like 1

Hello CodeRush,

I've been trying to get vanilla pm to work on my 10.8.2 installation to no avail.

I've used pre-modded on my Asus P8Z68-v lx bios found on the bios repo, I've used pmpatch to generate my own patched bios. the process did output a file and all seems to go rather well. I've used regular asus tools to flash the bios, it seems to hv flashed ok, both from the msg at the end of the flashing process and also from the info present at the uefi screen.

After all that I still need to use patched kext files to be able to boot into osx, thinking the flash process had somehow failed, despite all the success messages I tried flashing the bios once more using FTK, I followed your guide and the thing is, I still need nullcpupowermanagemnt.kext in order to avoid a aicpm.kext kp...

Any idea what could be causing this or how I could troubleshoot what's wrong?

Thx for the hard work btw, ur doing a very helpfull and usefull tool, and u still manage to provide great support for it...