[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Hi Coderush,

Do you know if BIOS from Asus X58 boards are locked in any way, or can we "unleashed" the BIOSes ? I have a fresh install of Mountain Lion with a Rampage III Extreme ; previously i had a Maximus V Formula (Z77) and to get speedstep to work, procedures was to unlock the UEFI BIOS + SSDT.

With my Rampage III Extreme, it looks very similar with the locked UEFI BIOS (Z77), multiplier stuck at X12 (lowest multiplier). Strangely after a wake from sleep (like with the MVF), multiplier can be X39, X40, etc,. (according to the overclocking settings).

Here is the Asus RIIIE 1502 BIOS ; thank you :)

RampageIII-Extreme-ASUS-1502.ROM.zip

...I need testers with different boards from different vendors to make the utility better, so if you have enough courage or a spare BIOS chip - please try it and report in this topic...

@CodeRush

I've also used your tool to unlock/patch my ASRock Z77 Professional-M motherboards UEFI v1.90 without a single problem. It works great! Thanks for all of your hard work.

Do you know if any other beneficial features can be added to this ASRock motherboards UEFI?

Gratitude,

Mrengles

• Like 1

@lunux, there are no patch pattern in this BIOS, but nest PowerManagement2.efi module is present. I will look at it's disassembly and try to find a way to remove 0xE2 lock.

@The Real Deal, I don't have X58 board to test, so I don't know how can I patch this. If anyone can find a way to correct this behavior - I can write an utility to automate this correction. I can't develop a way to patch without actual board and much time for testing. Sorry.

More to say, AFAIK, power management on X79 boards is not supported by OS X itself, so any PM patches we can make are useless for now on. Let's wait for Apple or independent coders to develop this support.

@mrengels, try using AMIBCP utility and look for hidden modules and strings. It's possible that they can be revealed and used, like ME menu in older 0xxx BIOS versions on ASUS Z68 boards. Another option is Option ROMs and VideoBIOS update, which can bring some minor speed-up. There are no ultimate hidden option in any modern AMI BIOS, that makes your PC ten times faster and unlocks HT on 2500K. What a shame. :)

• Like 2

Code Rush

thanks a lot could you check if is it possible patch this bios

PTEC - 2

Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.1

link here

http://www.4shared.c...iesltd-11d.html

my system is no OEM

Atom n2800 gma3600

ssd hd intel wifi

trued everything .........but kernel panic

i am sure bios is blocking something ,

thanks

congratulations for your work

carefull with phoenix bios (if its not award or ami) u cant flash the backup back!!, most times it bricks.

best is to find download for bios.

Edited by LatinMcG
  • Like 1

Thanks LatinMcG,

dou you have any download link for PTEC - 2

Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.1 or superior ?

the only one I have - it is no OEM laptop- chinese macbook air clone-

it is a BKup .

regards

@lunux, there are no patch pattern in this BIOS, but nest PowerManagement2.efi module is present. I will look at it's disassembly and try to find a way to remove 0xE2 lock.

Thanks a lot CodeRush,

I wait your next reply , consider it is a BKUP bios, and it is locked also the 64bits

enable, so I cannot install Lion,

let me see if it opens with award tool or phoenix.. if its award u ok. if phoenix.. no no

edit: phoenix tool because its Insyde EFI bios. . so it might be ok not phoenix but insyde.

EFI / Insyde BIOS

Finished Extracting

Tiano module compression method used

i wonder what the recovery filename is.

hmm a possible manufacturer dianjitek.com (page down?)

pause at :08

Edited by LatinMcG
  • Like 1

Guys from BiosRepo have asked me to write a small guide on flashing modified BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards with FTK, because my guide on [H] is way too complex for normal people.

Let's try writing something simpler.

---

Flashing modified BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards (and similar ROG ones) with FTK

Requirements

1. Latest version of FTK for DOS. Link is here.

2. BIOS for your board with or without any modification (PM patch, SLIC, OROM or VideoBIOS update, etc.).

3. USB-drive with any capacity starting at 128Mb.

4. PC running Windows to prepare USB-drive. There is a way prepare USB-drive with FTK on Linux or OS X, but it's complex and won't be described here at this time.

Preparing USB-drive with FTK and your BIOS file

1. Download (from this post attachments), unpack and run USB Drive Creator as Administrator.

udcrun.png

2. Select your USB-drive, FAT32, enter any drive label, press "..." button and select MSDOS folder that was unpacked on step 1.

udcsettings.png

3. Press "Start" button and wait. Press "OK" in summary window.

4. Download FTK for DOS (link above), unpack the archive to newly prepared USB-drive. All files must be placed in USB-drives root folder.

5. Rename your BIOS file to bios.bin (regardless of current extension, .ROM or .CAP or anything else) and copy this file to USB-drives root folder.

Your USB-drive must look like this after all steps above. I will call it FTK-drive for now on.

ftkdrive.png

Booting to DOS from FTK-drive and flashing BIOS

1. Reboot your PC, press F8 during boot and select "YourFlashName" without "UEFI:" prefix from boot device list.

2. If you see DOS prompt, you have done it right.

3. Enter biosrefl command and wait for green "FPT Operation Passed" message.

You can see "FD44 modules are empty in input file. Data restoration required." message, use FD44Editor to restore your individual board data, if you wish.

If you see any errors, make a photo from your screen and post it here, I will try to help.

4. Enter poweroff command and wait for PC to power off and then power on automatically.

5. Go to BIOS setup and look at ME version and BIOS version on Main tab. If both of them aren't "N/A", your BIOS is flashed successfully.

USBDriveCreator.zip

• Like 1

let me see if it opens with award tool or phoenix.. if its award u ok. if phoenix.. no no

edit: phoenix tool because its Insyde EFI bios. . so it might be ok not phoenix but insyde.

EFI / Insyde BIOS

Finished Extracting

Tiano module compression method used

i wonder what the recovery filename is.

hmm a possible manufacturer dianjitek.com (page down?)

pause at :08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyvxmAYjPU

thanks LatinMcG

could be the same maifacturer

I bougth cause I want to install Mac as mac book air clone, but no luck, always kerenl panic.

I am waiting for more news ,

regards

@n30p1r4t3, no problem. I leaved a pair of comments under your post on BiosRepo, please look at it. The name of your article can confuse people, I think. :)

@lunux, will look at it as soon as I have time for programming. I will be on CeBit 2013 from tomorrow to 9. Mar, so please be patient.

@all, guys, can you please quote only needed parts of message you quote? It's hard to read this topic on devices with small screen if everyone is quoting everything. Thanks in advance.

CodeRush thanks for the Utility!

I did this manually a few months back but my MB craped out and was sent for repair. After 2 months of not wanting to mod it manually I stumble upon your utility, now I can boot my Mac Again!

MSI Z77A GD 65

BIOS 10.6

BIOS 10.8

Edited by g_face2k
  • Like 1

thanks LatinMcG

could be the same maifacturer

I bougth cause I want to install Mac as mac book air clone, but no luck, always kerenl panic.

I am waiting for more news ,

regards

likely u need dsdt made and boot with -v to see kernel panic error details.

Guys from BiosRepo have asked me to write a small guide on flashing modified BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards with FTK, because my guide on [H] is way too complex for normal people.

Let's try writing something simpler.

Thanks a lot for that, it'll be useful, I have a P8H77-MLE to flash, and 2 P8Z77-VPro before end of month. :)

BTW, PMPatch works ok with the latest 1206 bios for P8H77-MLE.

• Like 1

@lunux, will look at it as soon as I have time for programming. I will be on CeBit 2013 from tomorrow to 9. Mar, so please be patient.

thanks CodeRush

I'll wait for your kind reply , have a good trip,

Good day to all.

I wrote an utility to patch modern UEFI BIOSes from different vendors to prevent them from locking MSR 0xE2 and therefore make the system with patched BIOS compatible with native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

It's tested on ASUS (AMI), Asrock (AMI), Acer (Phoenix), Dell (Phoenix and InsydeH2O), Lenovo (Phoenix), MSI (AMI), Toshiba (InsudeH2O), Zotac (AMI) and works without any issues.

For Dell users with Phoenix SCT 2.0 BIOSes I added an additional patch to unlock hidden BIOS setups.

The utility is BSD-licensed and available on GitHub.

Compiled versions for Windows and OS X are here.

Latest version is 0.5.10

Usage: pmpatch /path/to/original.bios /path/to/patched.bios

This program is still in development and can produce corrupt BIOS images, try them on your own risk.

I need testers with different boards from different vendors to make the utility better, so if you have enough courage or a spare BIOS chip - please try it and report in this topic.

Thank you in advance.

Can I use that I have a patched bios?

Doesn't work with my bios. Is this only for sandy bridge cpus? Or has it worked on any Nehalem ones? I've looked through my bios and I think it might be locking bit 15 in the smmplatform module instead of the usual places because of this function that's in smmplatform. I'd prefer to have someone with more expirence look it over before I change anything. Thanks. I've attached my bios, the powermanagement2 module, and the smmplatform module. v4npyw.png

Just to let you guys know, I changed the jump opcode from a jb to a jmp and it works. No more patched AICPM for me :king:

So for anyone with HP insyde bios that are 2 - 4 years old, the MSR locking subroutine might be in the smmplatform module.

• Like 3

Can I use that I have a patched bios?

I don't get the question, sorry. You must patch the BIOS first then flash it someway, then patched AICPM.kext and NCPM.kext are not needed anymore. That's it.

I don't get the question, sorry. You must patch the BIOS first then flash it someway, then patched AICPM.kext and NCPM.kext are not needed anymore. That's it.

I already have a modified bios for the native speed step....unterstand?

Holy random, I'm finally at home!

I will try to implement donovan6k's patch variant today.

I have another unpatchable BIOS from ECS board, so it can be 2 new versions of the tool the next week.

If your BIOS can't be patched with latest version of the tool and your OS X power management works with patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext - please report here to make the tool better.