Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

@cwestpha:

You need to read the instruction posts first. Clover has many possible setup combinations and options and you will need to find the right one:

http://www.insanelym.../#entry1852956. Also take a look at the other posts in that thread.

For an UEFI boot:

- Turn off Secure Boot in your BIOS. Otherwise no other EFI application except Windows bootloader will start.

- Set UEFI device prioritisation in Compatibility Support Module (CMS) or disable it completely

- Delete unnecessary drivers from drivers64UEFI. Most probably you will just need OsxFatBinary, OsxAptioFix and HFSPlus.

- If OsxAptioFix is being used: Add slide=0 as a boot argument into the config file

When Clover finally starts, you can enter a special menu point called "Clover Boot Options" or similar to create a boot entry.

Edited by k3nny

@cwestpha:

You need to read the instruction posts first. Clover has many possible setup combinations and options and you will need to find the right one:

http://www.insanelym.../#entry1852956. Also take a look at the other posts in that thread.

For an UEFI boot:

- Turn off Secure Boot in your BIOS. Otherwise no other EFI application except Windows bootloader will start.

- Turn off CSM if your hardware supports it

- Delete unnecessary drivers from drivers64UEFI. Most probably you will just need OsxFatBinary, OsxAptioFix and HFSPlus.

- If OsxAptioFix is being used: Add slide=0 as a boot argument into the config file

When Clover finally starts, you can enter a special menu point called "Clover Boot Options" or similar to create a boot entry.

The problem is I have already read the thread and followed the instructions and been unable to replicate my former working setup from USB drive under any circumstance or combination. My problem is not loading the OS yet, its just getting Clover to initialize which it refuses to do. Either the UEFI loader on my motherboard refuses to load it or the moment it starts loading it just fails before there is any indication what failed. Good point on the CSM, already have the slide option set and secure boot disabled... good point on the CSM, though I didn't need to disable that before to get Clover to work

[update] Ok I got this working for some reason the R1122 release had a regression in it thats fixed in the R1133 package. However, now it work detect my OS X 10.8.2 install on the hard drive. It passes fine to Windows 8 EFI install and Ubuntu 12.10 EFI install. I even got it to detect and recognize an OS X ML installer (though that wont boot for obvius reasons). Any ideas or suggestions? I dont see where, if at all, it dumped out a debug output.

Hi, k3nny!

Is it really needed to turn off CSM (Compatibility Support Mode)? I keep it enabled on my board and yet, after lots of failures and the providential help offered by dmazar, i got it to boot. In what ways can it prevent Clover to work?

Best regards!

CSM is a compatibility module written for the base uEFI thats just included in the firmware by the manufacturer to try and make life "easier" and give better backwards computability. It handles and automates some things not included in the uEFI base standard that the firmware didnt include at the time and supports things like BIOS booting and hybrid OS installs (that is when the OS expects elements of BIOS and EFI. Thing is EFI is still so new that there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to do things or add backwards compatibility, so some of the time it will cause undesired side-effects or just cause things to fail. Ideally clover V2 should be booted purely off of a standard uEFI platform as a EFI native loader. Sometimes the CSM can misbehave and cause things to load or not load, its detection code mess up and pass bad options to the uEFI firmware causing extra entries in the bootable devices list, etc.

Its one thing to have a standard, but until people get used to it and start working with best practices discovering how everything should interconnect you get confusion and crappy CSMs.

Since it doesn't do any good, and it can actually bring issues, i turned it off, too.

About that CSM (Compatibility Support Module) - this is a "small BIOS" embedded into UEFI. It is here to allow you to do legacy BIOS boot (MBR -> PBR -> OS plus all needed BIOS services to start legacy OS). If you turn it off, then you can no longer do BIOS boot, for example can not longer boot with boot0->boot1->boot (CloverEFI or Chameleon) and can no longer start BIOS installed Windows for example. You can only do pure UEFI boot. Plus, you can no longer use devices which have only legacy (BIOS) option ROMs, like most graphics cards today (driver is called video bios, VBIOS - BIOS graphics driver for the card). Where "no longer use" here means: no use of them during boot - once OS is booted it can still start it's own drivers and use those devices.

Turning CSM off requires having native UEFI GOP graphics driver for your card. GOP stands for Graphics Output Protocol and is part of UEFI specification - defines programming interface for graphics display for UEFI drivers and applications (bootloaders). UEFI GOP driver for Intel HD graphics is probably present in all UEFIs and you can probably turn off CSM and use Intel HD.

But when it comes to various PCI graphics cards, then turning CSM off requires GOP driver for that card and not VBIOS any more. VBIOS can be used only in BIOS - or in UEFI with CSM turned on. CsmVideo driver that we use to enable higher res on our UEFIs is actually part of CSM module - it is driver which publishes GOP interface to the rest of UEFI on one side, but on the other side uses BIOS calls to card's VBIOS to do actual graphics stuff. And that driver, obviously, requires CSM to be turned on - if that driver is going to be used at all. In short: if CSM is off, then CsmVideo driver can be removed from drivers64UEFI dir - it will not work any more.

Graphics card vendors can embed VBIOS or GOP or both drivers into their cards, but as far as I saw, they usually do not have enough space for embedding both of them and, for now, they choose to embed VBIOS driver. Having video card with VBIOS and having CSM turned on still allows boot on UEFI systems, both UEFI and legacy BIOS boot. While having only GOP driver embedded into the card would make this card useless in BIOS systems and/or UEFI systems when doing legacy BIOS boot.

In short: if turning CSM off, you need GOP driver for the video card.

• Like 2

- Turn off CSM if your hardware supports it

I always keep CSM enabled.

[update] Any ideas or suggestions? I dont see where, if at all, it dumped out a debug output.

Sorry, I didn't understand your question. As I see you have success with 1133.

You can get debug output if uncomment in refit.conf the line

#systemlog

Why if you put the Fix Icloud, iCloud I just can not get it to work?

Please Helpme

If you speak about latest revision then it is strange. It will work with any combinations of keys.

Check your SMBIOS produced by DarwinDumper.

UEFI boot didn't get both my cards (HD4000 and 9800GT) to work together, as i was expecting. On the contrary, when i enabled my internal graphics and set it as primary, Clover simply refused to boot from UEFI. Strange. But on the other hand, my system is booting in less than 20 seconds. Not bad for a system that relies on an old 2'5'' HDD scavenged from a broken EeePC 1005H.

Hi i can help u with getting both card work in UEFI

First of all u will need to google for "[Easy Guide] ML: HDMI Audio/HD4000/7 Series MB" to make dsdt.

With that dsdt u need to set intel as a primary and turn off graphics enabler and u will get hdmi audio too.

I have similar setup with Z77x UD5H and hd4000 and nvidia gtx 660 as second card all with clover UEFI working perfect.

Without that dsdt i cannon boot ml becouse HD 4000 need graphics enabler=Yes and nvidia need it =No soo dsdt its a must.

These drivers are needed for UEFI boot post-307055-0-87020100-1361272878.jpg

,soo if u have more than that delete it.

If u need more help for bios settings i can post SS of it.

I see u added CSMvideodriver,u must delete it if ur using intel as primary,i get just blank screen with it.

• Like 1

Hi, xpamamadeus!

I already got bot cards to work at the same time with legacy BIOS (and yes, dmazar: CSM is turned off in my BIOS settings) using a DSDT patch provided by Toleda, as you can see here: http://www.insanelym...e/#entry1890275

When i tried to do the same with UEFI, i was getting a black (blank) screen even before the Clover screen loaded, so i couldn't even boot - i was using the CRMVideoDriver.efi, so i remove it as you told me to do. Now, what i got is the cursor blinking forever, and i still never get to the Clover boot screen, so i'm still stuck.

Thank you!

EDIT: I got to the boot menu by editing my config.plist, removing PatchVBIOS=Yes - which was what was preventing me to boot - and letting only GraphicsInjector=No there. However, i got a stretched boot menu/boot screen by doing that, and the system undergoes heavy graphics artifacts when it finally boots to the desktop, to the point of being unusable.

Could you share with me what's the exact settings you're using under Graphics to boot UEFI with Clover with two cards?

Thank you very much!

Hi, xpamamadeus!

I already got bot cards to work at the same time with legacy BIOS (and yes, dmazar: CSM is turned off in my BIOS settings) using a DSDT patch provided by Toleda, as you can see here: http://www.insanelym...e/#entry1890275

When i tried to do the same with UEFI, i was getting a black (blank) screen even before the Clover screen loaded, so i couldn't even boot - i was using the CRMVideoDriver.efi, so i remove it as you told me to do. Now, what i got is the cursor blinking forever, and i still never get to the Clover boot screen, so i'm still stuck.

Thank you!

EDIT: I got to the boot menu by editing my config.plist, removing PatchVBIOS=Yes - which was what was preventing me to boot - and letting only GraphicsInjector=No there. However, i got a stretched boot menu/boot screen by doing that, and the system undergoes heavy graphics artifacts when it finally boots to the desktop, to the point of being unusable.

Could you share with me what's the exact settings you're using under Graphics to boot UEFI with Clover with two cards?

Thank you very much!

in config under graphics i have only graphicsinjector=No

Nothing more.

in config under graphics i have only graphicsinjector=No

Nothing more.

I was, in a certain degree, fearing you just say that: now i know it's some kind of exoteric issue that will give me a headache to solve, lol. Anyway, i'll post a video dump in a couple of minutes.

As a side note: the more i use Clover, the more awed i become because of how powerful it is. Video dumps used to be a goodie you could only have with Linux - via command line - or with third party solutions. Congrats to all developers.

P.S.: Here's the video dump: c0000.bin.zip

I was, in a certain degree, fearing you just say that: now i know it's some kind of exoteric issue that will give me a headache to solve, lol. Anyway, i'll post a video dump in a couple of minutes.

As a side note: the more i use Clover, the more awed i become because of how powerful it is. Video dumps used to be a goodie you could only have with Linux - via command line - or with third party solutions. Congrats to all developers.

P.S.: Here's the video dump: c0000.bin.zip

Post bios screen shots

How do i do that? Don't have a cam. If there's some built-in screenshot tool under Gigabyte UEFI, though, it would be possible. Which of the sections of the BIOS should i post here, in case i have this possibility?

use fat32 usb stick and press f12 to capture screen

Post peripherals and CSM support options.

Oki doki, and thank you very much for the help, xpamamadeus! I'll do it ASAP.

EDIT: okay, here they are:

130219204607.BMP

130219204619.BMP

130219204632.BMP

Best regards!

I have many more settings than u,but diferences i see are u have internal graphics set to auto,i have it set to enabled.

And i set memory size to 96mb.

try EHCI hand off set to enabled

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

Well I almost got everything working off of a USB disk after lots of playing around with Clover a lot more. Now I only have two problems with BIOS x64 or uEFI boot using R1133. The first is that no matter what I do my ethernet isn't appearing or being detected by OS X on boot. The ethernet chip is Intel 82579V onboard my Asus P8Z77-V Premium with the secondary Intel 82583. The kext I use is the AppleIGB.kext v 4.1.2 loaded into /s/l/e on OS X 10.8.2 using Kext Utility (not in Clover). I have tried the DSDT mask fix for LAN Fix with no success, also the port doesn't appear regardless of EFI or MBR loader use.

The other problem i have is the minor "AppleUSBHCI[{censored}]:Found a transaction which hasn't moved..." console spam message. Honestly not much worried about that.

Anyways thanks so much for everyone's help so far, I found out most of the problems in my past were because of a regression bug in R1122 or because when you place something in Clover's 10.8 kext folder you have to disable loading of caches by OS X (again, stupid me).

[update] I think I have had this issue before but I dont remember how I solved it. The kext is installed correctly but it seems like its having problem loading the networking service/subsystem or something. Network shows a blank location with no services in this location. Manually adding a location just gives me to options to configure the basics (ppoe, vpm, & 6 to 4). I know its related to Clover 100% and I think I had this with PCEFI or Chameleon way back in the day but I dont remember how I fixed it there. The Console isnt giving much help, I think Clover is somehow preventing the detection of the IGB controllers from OS X so it doesn't know to load the kext and configure the interface.

Anyways, I am going to start working on getting my Radeon 6850 working in OpenGL which is a same because Clover almost completely autoconfigured and injected everything perfectly.

I have many more settings than u,but diferences i see are u have internal graphics set to auto,i have it set to enabled.

And i set memory size to 96mb.

try EHCI hand off set to enabled

Hope it helps.

Thank you for the suggestions, xpamamadeus, but it didn't work at all. Fortunately, Toleda devised a workaround for the issue, while there's not stable solution: http://www.osx86.net/guides-tutorials/19291-guide-clover-efi-bootloader-132.html

Best regards!

Thank you for the suggestions, xpamamadeus, but it didn't work at all. Fortunately, Toleda devised a workaround for the issue, while there's not stable solution: http://www.osx86.net...loader-132.html

Best regards!

Dont know then for me works perfect,only diference i see its that i use DVI conectors on both cards,not HDMI.

My configuration looks like this.

56313408.png

71589215.png

52168731.png

53115346.png

57517027.png

23760261.png

87825297.png

73848413.png

89414082.png

• Like 1