Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

I don't know a thing about kernel programming, so this is probably one of those "you are an idiot" questions

Wouldn't an on the fly kext patching method work? Something in /Extra/Extensions to provide basic AMD support is all I am saying

the thing is that the kernel works fine, it's the userspace that's hanging up. i'm not sure why.

I don't know a thing about kernel programming, so this is probably one of those "you are an idiot" questions

Wouldn't an on the fly kext patching method work? Something in /Extra/Extensions to provide basic AMD support is all I am saying

yes this is possible and something i thought about. i'd like to get the kernel running on FX first. one difficulty is that i dont have an AMD computer handy

• Like 1

To make things a bit harder, it seems to be the old Kernel is Long Point 64 issue, but this time without bearing any relationship with bcopy/missing opcodes, or so it seems. It behaves the same way the vanilla kernel does on an Atom CPU after being patched on-the-fly by Chameleon's kernel patcher module. In fact, Sinetek, did you try to boot Mavericks on a real Mac or Intel hack using this patched kernel? Hoes does it behave?

my 2¢ :)

first, thank you so much to theconnactic, Andy Vandjick & everyone else that bravely try to get osx working on amd. i have not been keeping up much with mountain lion + amd since i have a intel build but after finding this nice post i gave it a shot and voilà a successful ML install on and old amd nforce to an even older ide drive. so heres what i did. i have a working snow leopard so i used myHack, the InstallESD.dmg from ML 10.8.4, the ML amd kernel (posted here by AnV, im using the one on the 1st page) & AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext (cause i installed it to IDE drive) [drumroll] yay! so now i have a bootable ML 10.8.4, cause i have nvidia gpu i have to disable the GeforceGA.plugin and GeforceGLDriver.bundle, ethernet works so i updated the software but i cannot update to 10.8.5 cause it requires reboot and if i try that or to power off the screen goes black and theres a string of "64 bit opemu wrong instruction" ...whats the fix for that?(if any) i have never seen this before. anyway thanks again to all, i like messin with this stuff :) there a list of what works and does not on my dinosaur

Graphics : nVidia GPU, disabled GeforceGA.plugin and GeforceGLDriver.bundle

Chipset   : fixed with AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

Ethernet : fixed with nForceLAN.kext 0.64.0 (0.64.5 & 0.64.6 would not stay connected)

Sound    : no sound! i have AC97 / ALC850 ...is there a 64 bit driver? or is there a "generic" kext to get this old ass sound goin?

Wifi         : no current card

AMD comp:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ Toledo

4GB Patriot DDR 400 (PC 3200)

PNY GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

40GB IDE (OSx86)

20GB IDE (Windows 7)

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW IDE

Screen-Shot-2013-09-27-at-6_zps684b213c.

You should probably post this in the "Working Builds" thread. A mod can move it for you :)

can we patch AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext,ati5/6/7.kext and x3000 x4000 gl driver?

And we can see,the x2000 files (hd4xxx series) have ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle ATIRadeonX2000GADriver.bundle ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000.kext. Has four files ,but x3000 and x4000(hd6xxx or hd7xxx series) only have one file ATIRadeonX3000/4000GLDriver.bundle.

And we know hd 4000 series haven't issues so may be is the reason? and in 10.7,x3000 has “gl ga va ”driver,but i not

sure.

And the issues like Framebuffer error,so may be is ATIFramebuffer.kext to make it?

Finally ,sorry my English, I'm come from China and only has 14 years .Thanks!

Just to recap, we can't use the Snow Leopard kexts because ML won't load them in 32 bit, correct?

Juste pour confirmer, on ne peu pas utiliser les kexts de 10.6 parce que 10.8 peu pas les charger en mode 32 bit, oui?

Just to recap, we can't use the Snow Leopard kexts because ML won't load them in 32 bit, correct?

Juste pour confirmer, on ne peu pas utiliser les kexts de 10.6 parce que 10.8 peu pas les charger en mode 32 bit, oui?

snow leopard has 64 bit kexts.  the graphics subsystem is neither simple nor open. you can try playing around with the kexts, and they will load, but the userspace will not like its version and will crash on unknown functions or other strange things may happen, if it does not outright revert back to a software mode.

furthermore, have you guys seen my post last page about /usr/lib/* ?

10.8 DP1 did have 32 bit kexts still, and i back ported the kernel so it would boot with those in fully i386. that *did* work as gilles pointed out. with mavericks, that's out though.

our thread is getting complicated, i'm talking about 10.9 and others about ML and the NV/ATI bugs. I propose we make this thread a "rolling release" one and rename it to Mavericks since that's the focus now. it used to be about snow leopard for instance.

hello Sinetek , Bronya

si ça peut aider , j'ai copier ton kernel mv_xxx et l'Extension Maveriks DP7 sur ML 10.8.5 , le loading se passe très bien ainsi que le lauchnd démarre parfaitement  :thumbsup_anim: sans KP , je rencontre le problème de Sandbox.kext  :mad:  qui me bloque le DSMOS  .

De même j'ai effectué l'inverse , copiant le kernel 12.3 et l'Extension ML 10.8.5 et remplacé le fichier lib , le lauchnd démarre parfaitement mais fini par reboot . :(

je continu mes tests ;)

:guitar:  :guitar:   prends le sandbox de 10.8.5, ça va arrêter le problème du sandbox.

ça serait bien de trouver un moyen d'enlever le sandbox pour de bon, c'est pas un iphone qu'on a..

• Like 3

snow leopard has 64 bit kexts.  the graphics subsystem is neither simple nor open. you can try playing around with the kexts, and they will load, but the userspace will not like its version and will crash on unknown functions or other strange things may happen, if it does not outright revert back to a software mode.

furthermore, have you guys seen my post last page about /usr/lib/* ?

10.8 DP1 did have 32 bit kexts still, and i back ported the kernel so it would boot with those in fully i386. that *did* work as gilles pointed out. with mavericks, that's out though.

our thread is getting complicated, i'm talking about 10.9 and others about ML and the NV/ATI bugs. I propose we make this thread a "rolling release" one and rename it to Mavericks since that's the focus now. it used to be about snow leopard for instance.

:guitar:  :guitar:   prends le sandbox de 10.8.5, ça va arrêter le problème du sandbox.

ça serait bien de trouver un moyen d'enlever le sandbox pour de bon, c'est pas un iphone qu'on a..

déjà essayé :(

il n'y a pas moyen de nous libérer de ce Sandbox  ?? 

yes, it seems logical because the celeron 775 is not SSSE3, the kernel we compiled Sinetek is reserved for the CPU FX (SSSE3), said that the kernel does not work either on core2duo

It does have SSSE3. Run ML and Lion fine. Its no problem as the vanilla kernel works for it, just thought it was strange.

• Like 2