I've just left Firefox for IE7

domino

44 posts in this topic

After almost 2 years of using Firefox in Windows, I finally got fed up with Firefox load time taking so long. I weighted my options of having to live without the plug ins i have been quite fond of for years with IE7. I did about a 3 hours research on which in-line ad blocker is available for Internet Explorer. I found a great shareware which I'm thinking about buying since it has a great track record for years. It's called Super Ad Blocker and it works just as well as Firefox's adblock or adblock plus. Another must have for IE is ieSpell.

Thank you Mozilla for the great times, but I must move on.

Disclaimer: We know MS ripped a lot of ideas from mozilla and Safari. So no need to point that out.

it's a solemn day. :P

seriously though, that is some big change! most people get all religious about their software.

congratulations, you are not most people!

let us know if you feel like you are missing capabilities or extensions, or if you decide to

use firefox as a secondary browser for special uses, etc.

I agree with you Domino. Firefox is a lot better than Safari. But compared to IE (any version), Firefox sucks.

Which makes me wonder.....

Why exactly would anyone use the forthcoming win32 port of Safari? Having pages display incorrectly is hardly what I would call a "feature".

For the average Joe, IE might be better, keeping in mind that it is much slower (on XP and yes, on Vista, its native environment). Open tab after tab (let's say you browse a forum and open new topic with ctrl or you browse some *cough* pr0n - theoretical case, of course :blink: ).

Anyway, for a power user / developer anything but FF sucks because of:

- Adblocker extension (VERY easy to use)

- Firebug extension (Javascript debugger with AJAX request/response support)

- Web developer tools extension

Actually, IE has two bugs:

- slow like hell

- no simple interface for extensions/plugins

After almost 2 years of using Firefox in Windows, I finally got fed up with Firefox load time taking so long. I weighted my options of having to live without the plug ins i have been quite fond of for years with IE7. I did about a 3 hours research on which in-line ad blocker is available for Internet Explorer. I found a great shareware which I'm thinking about buying since it has a great track record for years. It's called Super Ad Blocker and it works just as well as Firefox's adblock or adblock plus. Another must have for IE is ieSpell.

Thank you Mozilla for the great times, but I must move on.

Disclaimer: We know MS ripped a lot of ideas from mozilla and Safari. So no need to point that out.

huh? if you dont like firefox try opera 9, it goes faster (slightly, but noticable) and is great... i use firefox/opera 9 in tandem always, although im making the switch to an opera only lifestyle. Ie 7, an improvement on ie 6 ill give u that, but still bad.

max

IE6 and 7 are really nothing special...

FireFox is now BLOATED despite the fact that I use it...

After some pluging/extensions and tweaks, it does the job.

The reason I haven't switched to Opera is how frequently "FEATURES ARE COMING SOON!" blah blah blah...

FF 1.5.0.7 with the following:

Download StatusBar, NoScript, Linkification, IE Tab, AutoCopy, Cacheviewer.

Enough said.

Maybe one day, these software wars will stop and a unified project can be done with success...only more professional like Ubuntu did with Linux...

Opera is nice and fast. But realistically, in this day and age, I don't notice a any difference in page rendering measured in the .10 of a second. I've used Opera in the past and I don't personally like it. I do use Opera Mini for my PocketPC though. It's a hell of a lot faster compared to pocketIE.

HOW DARE YOU, YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR THIS

And all along I thought breaking 9 of the 10 commandments guaranteed me a first class ticket to hell :poster_oops:

Actually, IE has two bugs:

- slow like hell

- no simple interface for extensions/plugins

If it's slow like hell, I would not use it. Being on a browser 10hrs of the day for 7 years researching for work, I should know the difference between browsers. IE extensions and plugins come from 3rd party vendors which have been around for years. If you can't pull yourself from free mozilla plugins and don't mind the 8 second startup on first execution, then stick with Mozilla. I prefer not waiting over 1 second for a browser to open. All the reason why I like a fast processor and large memory.

Edited by domino

And all along I thought breaking 9 of the 10 commandments guaranteed me a first class ticket to hell :idea:

If it's slow like hell, I would not use it. Being on a browser 10hrs of the day for 7 years researching for work, I should know the difference between browsers. IE extensions and plugins come from 3rd party vendors which have been around for years. If you can't pull yourself from free mozilla plugins and don't mind the 8 second startup on first execution, then stick with Mozilla. I prefer not waiting over 1 second for a browser to open. All the reason why I like a fast processor and large memory.

Hmm FF has never taken 8 seconds to startup for me, in fact IE takes a good few seconds more to start.

Nothing personal, but you might want to think about upgrading your rig from the prehistoric one you're on.

You'll notice vast improvement in not only startup times, but pretty much everything else as well :poster_oops:

Nothing personal, but you might want to think about upgrading your rig from the prehistoric one you're on.

that's a great reason to upgrade to a core duo don't you think? I'm glad you aren't educating the poor souls that actually want to learn something new. No offence...

in fact IE takes a good few seconds more to start.

Looks like you need to upgrade you system since IE uses the systems hooks to starts and shouldn't take longer than 1 second. If so maybe you need to upgrade your system?

You'll notice vast improvement in not only startup times, but pretty much everything else as well

Sorry bud, startup time from bios to desktop takes less than 20 seconds, desktop usable after 30 considering the 15 tray apps that need to load plus run services.

The discussion is whether you should upgrade a P3 700 machine to a dual core just so you can use a browser properly. I'll let you ponder on that.

I don't see how anyone can start a "my rig is better than yours" contest over browsers... lol

Fact is EVERY browser out needs work.

ALL have PROS and CONS.

And almost all of them have an equal on another operating system.

Know what's a better question?

Why do we use fancy graphically heavy forums which use up many KB of data just to show text? :D

Yea, them "I drive a Porsche in New York City" annoys me too. It's pointless considering how each browser is written a certain way for each platform.

Why do we use fancy graphically heavy forums which use up many KB of data just to show text?

Might want to try out the Insanely Simple (PDA) forum skin :D

that's a great reason to upgrade to a core duo don't you think? I'm glad you aren't educating the poor souls that actually want to learn something new. No offence...

Looks like you need to upgrade you system since IE uses the systems hooks to starts and shouldn't take longer than 1 second. If so maybe you need to upgrade your system?

Sorry bud, startup time from bios to desktop takes less than 20 seconds, desktop usable after 30 considering the 15 tray apps that need to load plus run services.

The discussion is whether you should upgrade a P3 700 machine to a dual core just so you can use a browser properly. I'll let you ponder on that.

I didn't mean to offend.

I noticed that you were using old tech in your computer and 8 seconds to start up FF is entirely too long.

You're running a P4 with a 9800 AGP vid card...if that's not old school, I don't know what is.

If your system is booting in 20 secs, with desktop in 30 and 15 tray icons <---(that's just plain ignorance), and FF takes 8 seconds to start, there are more problems than just FF.

No reason to bash FF for taking 8 seconds to start.

just my .02 :)

No offense taken.

I noticed that you were using old tech in your computer and 8 seconds to start up FF is entirely too long.

It's obvious that you have no idea what goes into properly coding an application and extremely obvious that your parents just got you a computer on your 16th birthday. I don't mean to offend. I just state the obvious.

You're running a P4 with a 9800 AGP vid card...if that's not old school, I don't know what is.

And I need to use my dual core rig at home to be able to use Firefox at work? oh wait, I'll just tell my clients that firefox is suppose to take more than 4 seconds to load the first time because some fanboy told me so. Never mind what the client is experiencing first hand. I'll just tell them some kid told me and they should take your word for it.

If your system is booting in 20 secs, with desktop in 30 and 15 tray icons <---(that's just plain ignorance)

yes, I actually use my computer other than playing games. Oh wait, I'll just get my pappy to buy me a new faster rig so firefox can start in less than 2 seconds. Wow, that's great reasoning.

No reason to bash FF for taking 8 seconds to start.

I'm glad school started again. Some people really need to learn how to read and understand what they are reading.

Super Ad Blocker

Ahhh yes! I too have been running this program for sometime now on my work PC and I love it! It's almost too powerful at times but I really enjoy it on my Windows box. Excellent program. I'm convinced a person really needs only that program and they'll have a better surfing experience (regardless of the browser they're using).

:)

The fact about FF is that it DOES have a longer loading time than IE.

Especially once extensions or plugins are installed.

That's why someone coded a pure sh!tware app called: FireTune.

Then some other guy coded a plugin called: FasterFox.

At the end of the day guys...we should work together as a community and make the most of what each of us have.

Truth be told, there is ALWAYS something bigger better and faster out there...as well as smaller worse and slower...

What we are REALLY here for is to make everyone have OSX on your PC! :)

Browsers aside, remember the things I've just mentioned!

No offense taken.

It's obvious that you have no idea what goes into properly coding an application and extremely obvious that your parents just got you a computer on your 16th birthday. I don't mean to offend. I just state the obvious.

And I need to use my dual core rig at home to be able to use Firefox at work? oh wait, I'll just tell my clients that firefox is suppose to take more than 4 seconds to load the first time because some fanboy told me so. Never mind what the client is experiencing first hand. I'll just tell them some kid told me and they should take your word for it.

yes, I actually use my computer other than playing games. Oh wait, I'll just get my pappy to buy me a new faster rig so firefox can start in less than 2 seconds. Wow, that's great reasoning.

I'm glad school started again. Some people really need to learn how to read and understand what they are reading.

Whoah d00d...do you always answer questions out of context??

I'm no student, been in IT for 15+ years...sounds like you're in what...about 2nd grade?!?

I'll not argue with ignorance.

Peace out :P

Lets keep it peaceful guys.... its a statement taht he switched to ie... how can a flame start on that??? and the sys isnt bad, its that the more that you use firefox, the slower it goes... and operas got some pritty cool features, and it looks alot like... well... a prittyed up firefox (course you can skin both) the .10 second doesnt matter to me ether, and thats only an ilusion, it just loads pages diferently so you get teh text first then it goes back and renders the images (i think, thats what it looked like when i slowed it to a creep with some torrents :o ) idk, i didnt like opera until i tried opera 9 beta, its got alot of features that others dont (like torrents downloading like regular files in the browser, but thats not good if ur a member in a site that monitors ratio, since u cant seed after ur done... and i prefer azeureus ne ways... but yea, still cool... ) and it functions well, and in my opinion better than ie 7. but ether way enjoy whatever your using!!! ;)

and InsanelyMac Protégé domino, lol, domino the super protege with only 1,800 posts! nice :P

peace

max

Seems logical to conclude that if Firefox is slower than IE/etc on a lame hardware setup/old machine then on a much faster machine it'll still be slower. No matter what I've done to Firefox in any build or form, IE/Avant/Opera smoke it like it's standing still.

bb

I don't want Firefox fanboys taking these comments out of contexts. What forced me to switch my windows browser was the fact that that startup time takes considerably longer than when using Firefox the first time. I have to agree that the longer you use Firefox, the slower the application takes to load. I think even having only 6 plug-ins still account for the load time. This happens across WindowsXP, OS X, and Linux.

I've improved Firefox for Linux by switching over to the P4 version of Swiftfox. Firefox installed on Vista loads quite fast. Then again, Vista was just installed when RC1 was released and I'm assuming that as I use Firefox more and more under Vista, I'll end up with the same conclusion under XP.

While Firefox is running, it's a great browser. But so is Opera, IE7, and Avant. Without tweaking Firefox cache usage, it will eat up almost 130mb of memory. That's not a bug, it's a feature. Using Opera, Avant, and IE, I get the same productivity usage as Firefox minus the longer load time time and memory usage. I think memory can be put to better use when running a virtual machine session.

That said, this isn't a bash Browser X thread, and not even close to it. As long as the application is operated on its minimum requirements environment, it's up to the person using the computer that ultimately decides what he wants to use. Fanboys bashing people that think otherwise and recommending a complete overhaul is plain pathetic.

I don't want Firefox fanboys taking these comments out of contexts. What forced me to switch my windows browser was the fact that that startup time takes considerably longer than when using Firefox the first time. I have to agree that the longer you use Firefox, the slower the application takes to load. I think even having only 6 plug-ins still account for the load time. This happens across WindowsXP, OS X, and Linux.

I've improved Firefox for Linux by switching over to the P4 version of Swiftfox. Firefox installed on Vista loads quite fast. Then again, Vista was just installed when RC1 was released and I'm assuming that as I use Firefox more and more under Vista, I'll end up with the same conclusion under XP.

While Firefox is running, it's a great browser. But so is Opera, IE7, and Avant. Without tweaking Firefox cache usage, it will eat up almost 130mb of memory. That's not a bug, it's a feature. Using Opera, Avant, and IE, I get the same productivity usage as Firefox minus the longer load time time and memory usage. I think memory can be put to better use when running a virtual machine session.

That said, this isn't a bash Browser X thread, and not even close to it. As long as the application is operated on its minimum requirements environment, it's up to the person using the computer that ultimately decides what he wants to use. Fanboys bashing people that think otherwise and recommending a complete overhaul is plain pathetic.

well said, oh, and how is the IE7 RC1? I saw the link but i didnt want to mess with it becuase if it breaks down, then i cant update windows.... are you liking it so far?

max

Whoah d00d...do you always answer questions out of context??

I'm no student, been in IT for 15+ years...sounds like you're in what...about 2nd grade?!?

I'll not argue with ignorance.

Peace out :)

Well when i was in the 2nd grade it didn't get into pointless arguments like this one - seriously arguing over which browser to use? Use the one that makes you warm and fuzzy inside and let everyone else do as they please! No need to troll.