Toshiba Laptop Success Stories?

PolishOX

95 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to alert any TOSHIBA owners...

To date, I have NOT been able to run a 8.8.1 kernel on my Toshiba U205-S5002...

Not method seems to work and the kernel panics vary.

I am informed that semthex has not been able to build support into his kernels for CORE DUO machines...

Time to wait a little bit longer...

• 3 weeks later...
My Toshiba M115-S3094 Core Duo is working fine under 10.4.8 - semthex 8.8.1 kernel. Both cores are working fine as well as most other hardware. See my signature below
I also have a coreduo laptop with both cores being recognized and running with the semthex kernel BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :dev:

BUTTT they are running SLOW :dev: at a 25% of the speed of the real core!!!, i did'nt notice it it beginning because the system was still FAST and SNAPPY as hell

But the cores are not running at full speed eventhough two cores are detected and running!!!!

I am informed that semthex has not been able to build support into his kernels for CORE DUO machines...

is this real ?PolishOX

Edited by walterav

• 2 weeks later...

After some failed installations, OSX 10.4.8 JAS SSE3 Intel Oly (resseed) [semthex kernel] is running on my Toshiba A105-S4211 with some minor issues to my daily basis use. The results are:

Centrino Core Duo (T2050) 1.6GHZ (recognized as 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo)

80 GB SATA [1st partition (10GB): WinXP SP2/2nd partition (10GB): OSX 10.4.6/3rd partition (60GB): Data and documents]

512MB DDR2 RAM with

Intel GMA950 video (running on full native resolution)

Realtek ALC861 (some issues using Apple Azalia trick: only one sound at a time - I mean, if music is playing, no OS sound alerts, and vice-versa. Besides, some annoying loops appear on track change using iTunes)

Pionner DVD-RW Drive DVR-K16A (some issues: disc finishing never finishes. You have to force closing of the burning software.)

Ethernet Intel PRO100 VE, Firewire, internal modem, PCMCIA/Express Cards (not tested)

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG 802.11a/b/g (not working - so, I use D-LINK DWL-G122 Rev. B1 from my desktop computer, and then wireless internet runs on OSX)

S-video out (not working)

USB (works if you DO NOT use 10.4.8 USB patch on JAS DVD reesed)

There was no way to get dual-boot using Chain0 trick. The only thing left was to use Acronis Disk Director and install the boot manager to handle Windows/OSX dual-boot.

The only 2 things that make me a little bit bothered are the built-in wi-fi, which does not work at all, and the sound channel issues - the loops and cracks are reasonably boring when they appear.

Edited by giovanealex

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2450:

Specs:

P4 2.4Ghz

512 mb ram

80GB hd, DVD/CD-RW.

Firewire, USB 2

PCMCIA

Modem

NVidia 420 Go 32MB video card.

Intel 2200BG wifi

Dual boot winxp pro/osx x86. I am a mac guy but I bought this computer 3 years ago as I couldn't justify an extra $1000 at the time for a Mac. I learned to hate windows.

Installed JaA 10.4.6, runs well. Speed is very good. It is almost comparable to my MacBook intel core 2 duo 2Ghz.

Followed instructions from Ned Productions

Fixing the Sound (AC97)

Download this and unstuff it into your root directory on 'Apple MacOS X' drive (Safari will decompress it for you, but if not then use 'unzip'). Open a terminal and type the following:

sudo -s

<type your password>

cp -R /AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

(at this moment, it should load without error)

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks to macgirl for this improved AppleAC97Audio.kext.

I also changed the BIOS setting to load all hardware instead of the setting "OS Configuration". This then made the firewire appear as well.

Fixing the battery

Download this and unstuff it into the desktop, which should yield a PowerManagement.bundle. Open /System/Library/SystemConfiguration. Delete the existing one first, then copy in the new one. After rebooting, MacOS X should recognise you're on a laptop and display a battery indicator in the top menu bar.

Thanks to keithpk for this improved PowerManagement.bundle.

Working:

Itunes 6, Safari, Quicktime Player, Flip4Mac, Office 2004, etc.

Not working:

Sleep

Modem (need the modem for dialup when in a rural area)

PCMCIA - have not checked.

Intel 2200BG wifi

Updates attempted and failed:

Tried running the 10.4.8 JaS SSE2 updater. It booted, but then Safari would not run. Had to reinstall 10.4.6 from scratch.

Tried downloading and updating Quicktime 7.1.2 and Itunes 7 and Java. Itunes 7 would not launch, said "not enough memory", although I think that was probably not the issue. Had to re-install 10.4.6 from scratch.

I would like to know whether to install the JaS SSE2 updater, 10.4.7 and then 10.4.8, and then whether to install itunes 7 and quicktime 7 again.

Instructions for updating would be helpful or links to the instructions.

I can live with the config the way it is, but Itunes 6 cannot share songs from Itunes 7 on a network.

I would like to know about updating Java to the latest.

I would like to get the modem and PCMCIA working if possible.

I know that the wifi will probably not be working anytime soon but it would be nice. Maybe I will buy a broadcom to replace it.

Thanks all for the help to now.

I will post some info on my specs but here is some light for other Toshiba A75 users. I have A75-ST06 and installing the Mac never worked, but now it does. It has to do with the drive speed on the laptop. So since that was reading slow i used my external dvd writer and booted from that what do you i could install mac. Right now after 5hrs of installation(JaS 10.4.6), i am going to see if it works the only accident i did when i installed was i selected SSE2 patch instead of SSE3 which my laptop supports. Any who i will get back with what happens after my reboot.

Hey my stats are in my sig, I have a Toshiba Equium A60-155. Only installed last week but I've pretty much got everything I need working, apart from the cardbus. I've been looking into that but been having problems while replacing a needed kext. I'm currently working on writing a guide as it wasn't exactly straight forward to install.

Edited by Bored Badger

I got JaS OS 10.4.8 installed and running (dual boot with Win XP Pro) on my Toshiba Satellite A55-S106

It's an older model I know, but it's SSE2 compliant and actually runs pretty quickly given the processor and RAM that come stock.

Network connectivity is proving to be a pain though (both wired and wireless). Have yet to successfully get online with either using any guide I've found here yet.

Hey my stats are in my sig, I have a Toshiba Equium A60-155. Only installed last week but I've pretty much got everything I need working, apart from the cardbus. I've been looking into that but been having problems while replacing a needed kext. I'm currently working on writing a guide as it wasn't exactly straight forward to install.

My built-in Ethernet port does not work. Do you know of a patch for it?

• 1 month later...
Realtek ALC861 (some issues using Apple Azalia trick: only one sound at a time - I mean, if music is playing, no OS sound alerts, and vice-versa. Besides, some annoying loops appear on track change using iTunes)

I haven't been able to get my ALC861 sound working with anything.. could you send me your azalia kext so I can check it out?

thanks

jjduro at gmail.com

• 8 months later...

I installed Mac os x JAS 10.4.8 on my laptop toshiba M60

Intel centrino

ATI Xpress 600 ( 1440x900x32 with KATANA 3.04 no QE-CI)

Firewire

USB 2.0

Realtek 8139

IW2200 wireless

AC 97 sound ( excellent)

installation was smooth as silk, partioning my HD in doble boot vista, osx, using ACRONIS DISK

-install vista then create partiotion, set both partitions primary, then reboot

in acronis set partition you want to use for MAC as ACTIVE

reboot in MAC DVD , install MAC OSX

finally

reboot and you can boot by F8 MAC and VISTA

no problem at all,

until now did not work

PCMCIA card bus texas

MODEM winmodem smartlink ( works under linux)

Bluetooth toshiba stack, no way to ahve it working)

Update to 10.4.10 perfectly done , download the update from here: http://supportdownload.apple.com/download....0.4.10Intel.dmg

then follow this instructions :

Below are the steps to update your computer to 10.4.10: (except for GMA 900 or GMA 950)

first of all , repair permission on the disk !!

1) Open up the terminal and type "sudo -s" then "your password" then the following (line by line):

CODE

cp /mach_kernel /old

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/system.kext /

2) Keep terminal open.

3) Open disk utility and keep it open

4) Run update file by Installer in the utilities (AND DO NOT RESTART---IGNORE THE INSTALLER WINDOW)

5) Open terminal and type the following:

CODE

cp /old /mach_kernel

cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/

cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extension

cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/

rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

6) Open disk utility and repair again permissions for your OS X partition

7)Reboot

It' done !!!

It works very well and I installed a lot of new MAC software , try it.

Note I follow the instructions from

hatsmasher

see in the forum: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=bluetooth

toshbt.zip ( 19.52K )

to set up my internal bluetooth but it does not work, probably I made some mystake.

• 2 weeks later...

this thread is great

i've been able to install the OSX 10.4.7 onto my toshiba a105-s4004

but on my reboot i havent been able to get past the start up screen (where it says starting up in the grey box in the middle and the blue bar in the middle.

has anyone been able to get further than this and can anyone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is TOSHIBA Tecra A7-232

Mac OS X : Tiger Jas 10.4.7

ATI X1600 256 ( Fully working , QE , CI ) (External Display not tested )

Audio : ALC861 (Line-out only using Azalia)

Wireless 3945 >> no solution

the rest are working well ..

oh .. when i put it to sleep it doesnt wake up

• 2 weeks later...
this thread is great

i've been able to install the OSX 10.4.7 onto my toshiba a105-s4004

but on my reboot i havent been able to get past the start up screen (where it says starting up in the grey box in the middle and the blue bar in the middle.

has anyone been able to get further than this and can anyone help me out?

Hi

I am new here but have already spent a lot of time trying to get my Toshiba run 10.4.8 and can't get pass the gray screen at the start after installation. It installs ok... or it says so but when it tries booting it just stops.

Have tried 10.4.10 DVD too as an upgrade and as clean install... doesn't work... says has some probs and can't install.

Tried 10.5 doesn't start the installer at all. Goes through all that loading process and than it stops.. in a similar place as 10.4.8 at the first boot.

ANY IDEA? i can post the photo if that is going to help at all.

Telling people your model # for your Toshiba may greatly help you solve your problems.

A lot of Toshiba Laptops need minor bios settings changed to boot OSX86 correctly.

Search the wiki HCL for: Toshiba U205-S5002 or Toshiba in General -- They are popular hackintoshibas! :hysterical:

Also during boot press F8 which will prompt you at darwin...then where it says boot:

type this:

-v

so it looks like this:

boot: -v

This will eventually put tons of text on the screen and we will want/need to know what is causing the kernel panic.