[AMD] 10.7.3 Guide - Experimental Only

Devout

210 posts in this topic

The OS installed by following this guide has worked very well. The only thing I cannot get it to do is boot into OS X without typing -legacy -v npci=0x3000 everytime. Is there a way for me to not have to type it EVERYTIME I want to get into the OS then it would be even better!!

If I boot into my SL partition and change the boot.plist file by choosing the iAtkos partition, some of the changes work and some of them don't. The first pic shows what my bootplist looks like now. I added the line npci=0x3000 by editing the bootplist in SL then repairing permissions thru disk utility. If I take out the npci=0x2000 line and leave the npci=0x3000 by itself it hangs on bootup. Even though I added the line npci=0x3000 in the bootplist I still have to type the bootflag to get into the OS. If I don't type it the screen looks like the second pic which is some sort of graphics hieroglyphics. If I add the flag legacy=yes to the bootplist by editing thru the SL partition then the system hangs during bootup also. Any and all information/assistance to remedy this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you should repair if you replace the finder.app, always repair when editing system files.

And. to answer this question: No you don't need to type that in everytime. In your boot.plist just add these flags in the kernel flag key like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy -v npci=0x3000</string>

Hi.

I can Use Method.2 for my PC [ fx4100 + M5A88-V EVO + WD Blue 320G + 5770 + 4G/1333 ] it work.

But bootup very slow and osx mouse pointer move very very slow.

I don't install anything out of Method.2 ->Step 1->Step 2->Step 3->Step 4.

How to fix it .Help me please.

I hop you understand . :huh: I'm little in Eng. :(

Kernel: v4, v5, v6 and voodoo 9.0.26.

It's because QE/CI is disabled, list your graphics card.

Alright, after months, I solved the can't mount problem.

Now, I just need help with 'Waiting for root device'.

I'm using Phoenix Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00 as my BIOS and I can't find anything with AHCI.

(seems like my BIOS changed :P, I used to see the little tabs on the top, now just buttons going down with keyboard)

Alright, after months, I solved the can't mount problem.

Now, I just need help with 'Waiting for root device'.

I'm using Phoenix Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00 as my BIOS and I can't find anything with AHCI.

(seems like my BIOS changed :P, I used to see the little tabs on the top, now just buttons going down with keyboard)

Change your HDDs SATA mode to AHCI, not IDE. This works every time :P

I installed with method 2: i have working SL 10.6.8, this i my config:

Mobo: AMD 890GXM-G65, BIOS - v1.13, mfg: MSI

Proc: PhenomII X4 955, 3.2GHz,

Graph: PCI ATI Radeon HD 4350, 512MB DDR2 (mfg: MSI)

Audio: Realtek ALC889 Chipset, 7.1

N/W: Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111DL, works OOTB

RAM: 2GB, DDR3

HDD: Seprate HDD for Windows7 and SL

Mac OS: SL retail+10.6.8 booting with Chameleon flawlessly

Here's where im stuck for Lion:

fo3pet.jpg

I installed with method 2: i have working SL 10.6.8, this i my config:

Mobo: AMD 890GXM-G65, BIOS - v1.13, mfg: MSI

Proc: PhenomII X4 955, 3.2GHz,

Graph: PCI ATI Radeon HD 4350, 512MB DDR2 (mfg: MSI)

Audio: Realtek ALC889 Chipset, 7.1

N/W: Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111DL, works OOTB

HDD: Seprate HDD for Windows7 and SL

Mac OS: SL retail+10.6.8 booting with Chameleon flawlessly

Here's where im stuck for Lion:

fo3pet.jpg

HELLO , put all off your kext (ata support and more ) in S/L/E do not use E/E for loading kexts , (remove kexts from EXTRA ) , and repair permissions with MYhack with your leopard partition .** also use the last chameleon boot loader , download and install it on your lion partition or more safely in your usb key with chameleon wizard **

Removed all kexts from E/E................downloaded myhack and repaiired permissions ......

just wanted to know .....

1. can i repair permissions from disk utility of snow leopard

2. also chameleon 2.1 is already installed in snow leopard.....is it necessary to install in lion partition.

i downloaded myhack and repaiired permissions ......just wanted to know .can i repair permissions from disk utility of snow leopard

also chameleon 2.1 is already installed in snow leopard.....is it necessary to install in lion partition.

disk utility repair permissions can work , but this is an original apple tool , i think the permissions settings (x----r---w---w......) are only optimized for a real mac , "kext wizard" it's good tool for repair also , YOU MUST create a chameleon boot disk on usb key , if you have internet on your leopard , use the program "chameleon wizard" to install the last boot loader on your HFS journalized formated usb key , i have maked my boot key with this , and it worked , see the iatkos l2 thread (on web ) how to.

but if you have cham. r1730 no gui it can boot , i never tested , if it boot no need to install in lion partition

for me:

1 : i installed the last chameleon in lion partition

2: i have reinstalled my leopard chameleon on leo partition (more old realease off chameleon but it active full QE/CI with no bugs)

3: i use the usb key with the last chameleon if i want to boot in lion , if i remove it , the system boot direct to SL 10.6.8

Thanks to this guide and some Google searchs I finally have installed Lion im my old PC here are the specs

AMD Opteron 170

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi

4GB Corsair Platinum Edition

nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB by evga

nForce 4 Lan 10/100/1000

ALC850

RT2571 USB wireless b/g

Since is experimental this kernel I have some unstable applications and other issues. I'll update to 10.7.4 later and post the results.

Greetings from Brazil!

Thanks to this guide and some Google searchs I finally have installed Lion im my old PC here are the specs

AMD Opteron 170

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi

4GB Corsair Platinum Edition

nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB by evga

nForce 4 Lan 10/100/1000

ALC850

RT2571 USB wireless b/g

Since is experimental this kernel I have some unstable applications and other issues. I'll update to 10.7.4 later and post the results.

Greetings from Brazil!

hello i think this is not a good idea if you want to update to 10.7.4 , it's not worked for me , and i have to reinstall

!!!!!

edit : update 1074 work only with the last bronzovka kernel for me , with olders versions off kernels (v4, v5 ...) i have kext loading fails

Well i got Lion working on my system. (Specs in Sig) and so far actully i have had less problems with Lion then i have with Snow Leopard Just still can't get my sound to work for my ALC892 and the patched appleHDA way but does work with voodooHDA but sounds kinda crappy anybody have a clue as to what kexts i should be trying with my sound?

• 2 weeks later...

DEXTRUCTOR: Since is experimental this kernel I have some unstable applications and other issues. I'll update to 10.7.4 later and post the results.

success update to 10.7.4 , i just use the last kernel from rawX86 based on brovozka kernel (9.6 MB) (and replaced the finder with dp2 !!!), almost perfect , the only big problem is for playing flash and streaming movies on web (html5 works better but bugs subsist ) , all web players crashes after 10 seconds when i remove the sound kexts (no sound device) , and it work with very very slow frame rate with sound enabled (i have QE/CI OK) , no flash problems on snow leo 10.6.8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: big problem resolved , the streaming is due to bad permissions off a sound settings folder (library/pref/audio)

(this bad permissions make AudioMidisetup.App not responding ... )

this is a sound issue !!!!!!! and the problem appear on the video <_< very strange .......BUT FIXED !

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my bad English

I see many asking for the error "Still waiting for root device". For me it was just the kernel !!!! No AHCI or else ...

This one doesn't work for me "AMD kernel 10.7.4 for all AMD processors" source and dev. Bronzovka aka Dmitrik from forum applelife.ru and cause the Still waiting for root device after many errors at load.

I'm on Crosshair V with Phenom X4 955 Black Edition.

If you are sure to be with AHCI in Bios try another Kernel, that can be save you time :)

Over

Excuse my bad English

I see many asking for the error "Still waiting for root device". For me it was just the kernel !!!! No AHCI or else ...

This one doesn't work for me "AMD kernel 10.7.4 for all AMD processors" source and dev. Bronzovka aka Dmitrik from forum applelife.ru and cause the Still waiting for root device after many errors at load.

I'm on Crosshair V with Phenom X4 955 Black Edition.

If you are sure to be with AHCI in Bios try another Kernel, that can be save you time :)

Over

if you install iatkos l2 make sure you have selected your ahci driver in installation customisation , and i think you need to update your system to 10.7.4 if you want to use this kernel with no errors , if you use 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 you may use olders kernels (v4 ..)

Mobo: Dell 0GK1k2, BIOS - v1.13, mfg: MSI

Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz, BIOS Dell vA06

Graph: PCI ATI Radeon HD 5450, 1GB DDR3

N/W: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

HDD: Virtual Drive.

It works, but not stable. Mouse is sluggish. Straight VGA; DP2 Finder can be a little cranky. Running 4 CPUs for the heck of it. A lot of times will be entering text in a box and the window freezes. If I try to open up a picture, an icon opens up at the bottom and bounces, but clicking on it does nothing to change the state. Other things include the hard drive icon not showing up until DP2 Finder is launched (unlike its presence in SL).

Took me probably three days to get this working; required Googling till my fingers were numb. But now I've got a much better feel for what's going on here; blunt force iterating-it-to-death is usually the best way to know the in's and out's of the system.

Mobo: Dell 0GK1k2, BIOS - v1.13, mfg: MSI

Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz, BIOS Dell vA06

Graph: PCI ATI Radeon HD 5450, 1GB DDR3

N/W: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

HDD: Virtual Drive.

It works, but not stable. Mouse is sluggish. Straight VGA; DP2 Finder can be a little cranky. Running 4 CPUs for the heck of it. A lot of times will be entering text in a box and the window freezes. If I try to open up a picture, an icon opens up at the bottom and bounces, but clicking on it does nothing to change the state. Other things include the hard drive icon not showing up until DP2 Finder is launched (unlike its presence in SL).

Took me probably three days to get this working; required Googling till my fingers were numb. But now I've got a much better feel for what's going on here; blunt force iterating-it-to-death is usually the best way to know the in's and out's of the system.

if you do not see hdd drives in desktop make sure you have checked this in finder preferences menu , if you run lion in a virtualizer system it can be more unstable and lags , prefer a native system install ! good luck , the system work nice for me ( in 32 bits mode off course ...)

if you do not see hdd drives in desktop make sure you have checked this in finder preferences menu , if you run lion in a virtualizer system it can be more unstable and lags , prefer a native system install ! good luck , the system work nice for me ( in 32 bits mode off course ...)

Only when I launch DP2, do I see the HD icon; I've tried to remove the regular Finder from the desktop and replace it with DP2, but it won't let me remove or rename it. (Now that I think about it, will that cause a problem?).

I dialed it back to 2 processors, and I don't see any change in response.

Only when I launch DP2, do I see the HD icon; I've tried to remove the regular Finder from the desktop and replace it with DP2, but it won't let me remove or rename it. (Now that I think about it, will that cause a problem?).

I dialed it back to 2 processors, and I don't see any change in response.

you can not replace or rename it because it used by the system , if you want to replace the original 64bit finder.app , you may do this from your windows partition with a HFS partition access software , or from an existing leopard partition , it recommended to have a leopard 10.6.X installed if you want to install lion on amd with iatkos l2 method ( you can see and manage your lion partition ) , or you can test to install directly the distribution "OSX INDO" it contain finder DP2 and multiple amd kernels in the insatallation customization ..

Working mostly for me:

ASUS M489AGTD PRO/USB

AMD Phenom 965 3.4Hz

nVidia GTX 460

OSX Lion 10.7.4

Kernel: V4.

Problems:

Only boots about 1 in 3 times, other times gets stuck at NTFS 3.1 stage.

Audio, ALC892, not working (not recognized using HDA kexts, crackly using Voodoo).

Installer, Skype, etc. won't lauch after some time (xpchelper issue I presume - fixes don't seem to work fully).

Kernel V6 will not boot fully to desktop (grey screen with some black rectangles), but V4 runs fine.

Apart from these its running 100% solid, full graphics, full cores, no crashes.

Working mostly for me:

ASUS M489AGTD PRO/USB

AMD Phenom 965 3.4Hz

nVidia GTX 460

OSX Lion 10.7.4

Kernel: V4.

Problems:

Only boots about 1 in 3 times, other times gets stuck at NTFS 3.1 stage.

Audio, ALC892, not working (not recognized using HDA kexts, crackly using Voodoo).

Installer, Skype, etc. won't lauch after some time (xpchelper issue I presume - fixes don't seem to work fully).

Kernel V6 will not boot fully to desktop (grey screen with some black rectangles), but V4 runs fine.

Apart from these its running 100% solid, full graphics, full cores, no crashes.

i resolve the boot stuck at ntfs v3.1 with adding -f flag , i boot with -f -v -legacy arch=i386 npci=0x3000

AND I DISABLE XPCHELPER CACHING with a program maked by " jeaton2012 " (google it )

verify in the console if xpchelper disabled , if not , redisable it again , and reboot

make sure you have repaired permissions with kext utility or myhack3.1 before rebooting ,

if you not able to boot with Kernel v6 in 10.7.4 , change/verify your boot loader and your graphics kexts ( try with -x flag ?)

it can resolve ...... but i am not sure .....good luck !

important : before install 10.7.4 direct try install 10.7.2 and verify if you have the same errors .....issues ....

personaly i prefer install 10.7.2 and update to 10.7.4 (just replace finder and kernel , revert iostorage family kext if needed and remodify/reinstall some graphics kexts if you have)

AMD IS EXPERIMENTAL , the best way is to have 3 partitions : leopard , lion1 , lion 2 , if you do some errors you can always rescue with another partition ...and you can update and change files easly.........;;

• Like 1

Actaully the xpchelper problems seem to have disapeared.

Now have a perfectly running (apart from audio, but I have another usb device) system with uptime of more than 2 days.

I had installed 10.7.2 first using method 2 and then updated it to 10.7.4 (and reverting the IOStorageFamily.kext).

10.7.2 would not boot without the cpus=1 flag, but 10.7.4 will (but not everytime).

So all good :) .

Thanks for the tips...

Actaully the xpchelper problems seem to have disapeared.

Now have a perfectly running (apart from audio, but I have another usb device) system with uptime of more than 2 days.

I had installed 10.7.2 first using method 2 and then updated it to 10.7.4 (and reverting the IOStorageFamily.kext).

10.7.2 would not boot without the cpus=1 flag, but 10.7.4 will (but not everytime).

So all good :) .

Thanks for the tips...

u have Lion working in 32 bits or 64 bits ??