macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

A.18 Bios has been released, Especially folks with i7 2670QM install it on Windows 7 or 8 and let me know whether Sleep on hackintosh is fixed or not. As i dont want to experiment, as i am on A.12 with sleep support, if u guys get sleep working, then only i will update. so please let me know whether it works or not.

After updating to A.18 please post vanilla or un-modified A.18 DSDT.dsl or aml, U can extract it from Windows using DSDT Editor for linux winows mac http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1292

cheers

Thought so, even on my old desktop i rarely came across DSDT differences between bios version.. they usually appear if the mobo bios is still being developed like v1/v2 etc, afterwards nothing.

Hey guys, I've been working on trying to get rid of Artifacts with the Intel 3000 HD GPU. After trying various so-called solutions(Updating FakeSMC, removing FakeSMC plugins and so on) I finally I found a solution that I least suspected.

To fix this you can do one of two things:

1. This is the solution I used, install Fan Control 1.2. Doesn't really do much as far as actually controlling our fans but it eliminates the artifacts 100%

Here is a link to that: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control

It installs a Fan Control Daemon and Fan Control PrefPane.

2. This is one I haven't personally tried but has been reported as working as well, SMCPing Daemon

What you do is extract this Zip file and place it in /Library/StartupItems, reboot and thats it.

here is that link: http://www.box.com/shared/e9ce431758d08f50ce05

@Mackyreddy & Doix: Might want to add this to your packs so people can get the solution in an all in one package. Thanks!

Just had to share this as artifacts were driving me crazy and prevented me from using OS X Lion as my main OS. Now if some genius would just make something equivalent to Bumble Bee on linux for OS X, we'd have one fine HackBook Pro!

Take care all.

Fan Control doesn't work, it's lacking full implementation from the DSDT/FakeSMC plugin. That is a simple coincidence i'm afraid.

SMCPing, i'm going to test it now. I can't see any evidence of it getting started in the log.

It would take someone with real driver coding experience on mac to create this, and it still wouldn't be easy due to lack of source code on the mac.

Edited by DoiX

Fan Control doesn't work, it's lacking full implementation from the DSDT/FakeSMC plugin. That is a simple coincidence i'm afraid.

Yeah it doesnt actually work for what it's coded to do, most people I've read that have used this method to get rid of the artifacts removed the prefpane and just left the daemon in place. Something it does helps with remving artifacts, I believe if I read correctly it's open source and a few people are going through the code to determine what it might be doing to help with display artifacts.

I checked the source code for myself, it uses SMC keys to operate the actions, if it doesn't find them it doesn't do anything.

The only way it could prevent the artifacts is by this

- (void)start
{
[self readPreferences];
[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:5.0 target:self selector:@selector(timer:) userInfo:nil repeats:YES];
}

assuming the artifacts are caused by some system driver idling out and not being able to start up again. SMCPing operates in a similar way.

There are many causes for the artifacts, from vram to outdated kexts that don't operate well with the new ones.

@Zpecter, i don't know how to update from Lion to ML but personally i would stay far away from it because it's not guaranteed to work for every system. As for installing Mountain Lion from scratch... it's like lion. Either using a premade image (like iAtkos - tho i don't know if it was released) or via the Retail Install. There are tutorials around to show you how, i've also made an app for that http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=281238

• Like 1

@Zpecter, i don't know how to update from Lion to ML but personally i would stay far away from it because it's not guaranteed to work for every system. As for installing Mountain Lion from scratch... it's like lion. Either using a premade image (like iAtkos - tho i don't know if it was released) or via the Retail Install. There are tutorials around to show you how, i've also made an app for that http://www.insanelym...howtopic=281238

Thanks for your help, I'm upgrading right now from Lion to ML. I made the usb stick using this tutorial:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280756

but it didn't boot, now I used some of the packages from LX02x v1.4 package installer that mackyreddy upload in a previous post, and now the usb can boot and it's updating. :wink2:

Here are my feelings about hte new DSDT, don't know if it's new or not, as I never got that deep into OSX.

It doesn't clearly detect if I have my power input put in or not. It seems that if it goes to sleep once, it won't change the state and think it is still charging even if it is deconnect from the power supply.

Increase and decrease of the luminosity is working with the added kext. But it seems as it goes not as down as on windows, keeping the battery life quite short, even if it is better without the nvidia card (ways better ^^)

Thanks Macky and Doix, this is just working great. now I just need a displayport to HDMI adapter to get my films on the TV ^^

@deadsmile

It doesn't clearly detect if I have my power input put in or not
This is a kext issue, i'm assuming you're not using the VoodooBattery one.
But it seems as it goes not as down as on windows, keeping the battery life quite short,
You mean the incremental/decremental steps or the minimum/maximum luminosity? Because on windows it doesn't go full black on the min level, granted on the max level it appears to have more luminosity.

This is a kext issue, i'm assuming you're not using the VoodooBattery one.

I will try it out, thanks ;)

You mean the incremental/decremental steps or the minimum/maximum luminosity? Because on windows it doesn't go full black on the min level, granted on the max level it appears to have more luminosity.

On windows if I go on the lowest or second lowest step it's darker than on the second last on OSX (the one before having a full black screen ;) )

I understand now, that... well.. i don't really know what that is. Could be a kext issue, could be the values mac os x parses from the bios. But it's definitely nothing from the DSDT since i mangled the damn thing to a minimum and nothing changed related to the luminosity.

• Like 1

In the meantime I veryfied if I had voodoobattery, and it is there... is it possible that there is another Kext interfering ?

The problem is not when I stick the powerplug out or in while in function, this works as it should. It's more when i suspend activity and unplug then, It will still tell it is connected and won't change...

I think having 2 battery kexts would result in a KP. I'm using the [ML]AppleSmartBattery kext and it detects the changes to the power made during sleep.

Uh? Oh... oh damn.... i really need to quit multitasking while working. In both Lion and ML you can find a stock AppleSmartBattery, I should have mentioned having a *Patched AppleSmartBattery with VoodoBattery may cause KP.

• Like 1

Some work has been going on the Nvidia Off DSDT and here is an update marching towards a Pure XPS 17 DSDT but still includes Doix XPS 15 GFX0 IGPU MEM2 DSDT sections with Brightness Control code.

I am planning to replace the GFX0 and IGPU code from XPS 17, but it still needs plenty of cosmetic changes here and there in the DSDT.

And in our XPS 17 DSDT we dont have MEM2 section under IGPU section, i dont know whether we can avoid it or not ?

Meanwhile happy testing.

Pure XPS 17 DSDT but with Doix XPS 15 GFX0 IGPU MEM2 With Brightness Control.zip

@Macky, i added that MEM2 function from a MBP8 DSDT, hoping it would help reduce the graphic artifacts.

Lx02X Mountain Lion v1.4.mpkg gives error after installation in ML. It says installation failed. Please contact software developers.

Any ideas? It works fine under lion. Thank you for your reply.