macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

@all Thanks for all the usefull posts! I have been reading all the pages of this topic as I'm trying to convert my Dell XPS 17 (i7 2670, 16GB ram (4x4GB), 512GB SSD (bay 1) + 500 GB HDD (bay 2), full hd 3D screen, nvidia GT 555m 3GB, bios A17!) into a hackintosh!

Before the start I had only a windows 7 on the SSD. So I took 100GB of that disk and used it for my macOS. Next to Windows 7 (C:) and MacOS (F:) also a partition with 102 MB (OEM partition?) and a partition with Recovery (+/- 20GB NTFS) are present on the SSD. The HDD is just for backup.

I had at first (for a try) done the full guide, knowing that it might cause issues because of the different screen. It worked quite well (I had to remember again al the diskpart commands and other "flagging" tricks, which included making a windows 7 restore CD to boot again to windows 7). Then I installed the A17 DSDT from this topic, and the 10.7.4 Dell EXPS 15 17 LX702x Kexts and everything still was ok. However, after trying to install about ten different version of Chameleon in ten different ways, I couldn't create a bootloader and I had to start everytime from the DVD, then press f8, and then MacOs... :(

So I tried EasyBCD 2.1.2... Which does show me three options now (Windows 7, mac os (mbr), and mac os(gui)), but the latter two don't work.

However, I persisted and went to the step "update to 10.7.4 using de combo update package" and all the other steps (such as deleting kexts etc.) without restarting... Of course I got problems, such as KP's, likely because I deleted the kexts needed for the Nvidia card... Also after this process, before enabling GE, all graphic were really slow, so I enabled it in the bootloader, giving me even more KP's :)

So now I started again by formatting the Mac OS partition on the 512GB SSD of bay 1 to hfs+ journalled en installing macOS from the DVD (iatkos L2). The next step that I took was to copy iatkos L2 from within MacOS to a 16GB usb drive, to speed the process of installing up for the next time.

This is where I am now (typing it from my windows 7 installation, however I could have used mac OS, as ethernet works).

I have in my folder "requirements" the following files and don't know what to install and what not with my system..

* 10.7.4 Dell EXPS 15 17 LX702x Kexts

* A.12 DSDT

* A.17 DSDT

* Chameleon install 1806 (from windows, has a Chameleon.exe inside)

* Chameleon wizard.app

* Extension Screenshots

* Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r755_Lion.pkg

* EasyBCD 2.1.2.exe (nice, free tool, but for me it didn't work... really don't understand why this boatloader shizzle is not working for me..)

* Lx02XLion_V1.1.zip (I have the idea that for my purposes the 10.7.4 Dell EXPS 15 17 LX702x Kexts is better, because it has a seperate folder for 2670, right?)

* SSDT 2670 QM.rar (only one SSDT, normally there are also SSDT-1, SSDT-2, and SSDT-3, inside right? Why?)

* VoodooHDA-2.7.3.pkg (for fixing sound, didn't work at first try...)

* XPS 17 3D Core i7 DSDT (no idea which bios version, picked it somewhere from this forum, but I thought the 3D DSDT might be different then the non-3D one, so I grabbed it)

That said, actually I just want that bootloader to work. And maybe some hint how to continue. I had for example a quite good working stetup somewhere in the process, battery percentage worked, graphics were ok, (launchpad loaded not stripe by stripe but at once), but sound didn't work, and the screen didn't go off (backlight stayed on, and some artifact where the mouse pointer was before). Please don't be too harsh for my noobish questions, it is just quite a lot of information to grasp... I also looked into the tonymacx86 forum, but this one is much nicer, and I got the feeling that that one isn't updated anymore.. (I couldn't find for example a good guide, or the A17 DSDT.. or which kexts to install/don't delete for the nvidia card)

Oh, one last thing: I didn't take the extra RAM out, but still it worked quite well, is that because I have four slots (with the 3D screen) opposed to two?

Hi, I got a XPS17 L702x (with 3D screen) on which I would like to install Lion. I already tried, failed and gave up. I had problems with my resolution (couldn't get it to 1080p). What would be the best way to get Lion on my XPS in fully working order?

Thanks in advance!

Jomi

Hi, i can't get 1920x1080 full hd screen to work... if i remove AppleIntelSNB.. kext i get the screen of 1280x1024 but if i install this kext i get a pinkish and buggish screen... I tried everything, but cant get a full hd to work...

I have a l502x i7 2670qm 2.2 ghz with 8GB ram Intel hd3000 + nvidia 540m

i installed the dsdt and ssdts from the this topic and im booting from usb wich i installed chimera 1.10 (i installed all dsdts and ssdts on the usb)..

i read here that i must boot from hdd to get this working, but i cant boot from hdd because i have windows installed on the primary partition...

Is there a way to get the full hd screen booting from USB ? is there any difference using chimera or chameleon ? do i have to instrall chameleon on my hdd partition if i boot only from usb ?

Any ideas on how i can get the full hd to work ?

Thank You All and thanks to hte poster of this toppic for the guide.

@ Jomi Verwimp

Well as u said u have 3D screen u need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes ( if ur using my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, by default i used GraphicsEnabler=No as this thread is confined to Optimus Laptops, so u need to need change that to Yes). Then install Nvidia kexts u can find patched kexts from kexts.com and finally i would recommend u to use Steves's DSDT from tonymac forum http://www.tonymacx8...pic.php?t=23185

@ fgmanfredini

Yes everything works from USB whether u want to install on it or install from it. ( i have tested 10.7.4 on Patriot Rage XT USB), but it will be slower than HDD. Well u can use my guide to install lion or ML on L502x but u need to use DSDT from Doix's thread. check this thread http://www.insanelym...pic=257950&st=0 and use Doix's latest package.

Install DSDT and ur Processor specific SSDT's and also select FULL HD org.chameleon.Boot.plist and finally select MacBook Pro 8.1 or 8.2 smbios, everything should be fine from there.

cheers

Hi everybody,

My XPS17 dont want to show me temperatures and speeds of my cpu.

Used iAtkos L1 to install and Update with 10.7.4 Combo Update.

Can someone please tell or send me all the kexts for detecting temps and speeds. I had it working long ago but do not remember the clou.

Its the 555m 3D model with 2630QM if this matters.

Thanks for your efforts!

If someone could give me a link to the Chameleon v2.1 they used and a tutorial on how they installed it that would be more helpful then you could possibly imagine. Please, for the Love of God, give me a link to C v2.1 and tell me what you did. I can't seam to get it to work.

Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I have been working for few days on creating a Lite version of OS X just like Windows 7 lite and i feel i am successful in reducing the OS X footprint by half.

It will be a preinstalled image suitable for our XPS laptops with all kexts and permissions fixed, it means no more installing kexts and fixing permissions, just restore the image to Hard disk partition or USB drive and install chameleon boot loader and ur ready to go.

By the way i generally name my Windows 7 lite versions as Micro and the same tradition will be continued here in OS X family as well. Here is a teaser as of now Micro OS X 10.7.4 dmg is weighing around 2.03 GB and installation consumes 2.9 GB of ur Hard disk space.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this project ? :D

@ xdanisx

u can find the chameleon boot loader on kexts.com or osx86.net

cheers

Mahesh

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I have been working for few days on creating a Lite version of OS X just like Windows 7 lite and i feel i am successful in reducing the OS X footprint by half.

It will be a preinstalled image suitable for our XPS laptops with all kexts and permissions fixed, it means no more installing kexts and fixing permissions, just restore the image to Hard disk partition or USB drive and install chameleon boot loader and ur ready to go.

By the way i generally name my Windows 7 lite versions as Micro and the same tradition will be continued here in OS X family as well. Here is a teaser as of now Micro OS X 10.7.4 dmg is weighing around 2.03 GB and installation consumes 2.9 GB of ur Hard disk space.

@ xdanisx

u can find the chameleon boot loader on kexts.com or osx86.net

cheers

Mahesh

Dude, which one? There's millions? Can you please just give me a link and a basic guide on exactly how you installed chameleon? I can't get it to work.

I have a Dell XPS L502X (September 20,2011):

-2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM processor @ 2.00GHz

-8GB,DDR3 4x2 sticks

-NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

-Seagate Momentus 750GB 5.4k HDD

-Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

-Intel Centrino Advanced-N 1030 and Bluetooth 3.0.

-My BIOS version is A11 recently updated.

I am trying to restore the iATKOS L2 image to the

ADATA Pendrive 8GB C008.

On my iATKOS L2 which I have on my VMware workstation.

I used the disk utility to erase the pendrive to the HFS+ using the GUID partition table and then mounted the L2 image .

restored the image to the pendrive .

after restoration installed the chameleon 2.1 bootloader to the pendrive..

Then used my Ubuntu system to replace both the .plist files and the DSDT SSDT files to the root.

but when i booted up the system it says ..

"Missing Operating System"

When i used the same process using another HP 250W 16 GB pendrive it just showed "_ j " on the blank screen and just remained stuck there,

that is it...

I have googled .. mined .. looked everywhere

I found no solutions as such .,,,

I checked the iATKOS L2.dmg matched it with the one given on website.. it was the same..no problem with the image..

I tried using the dvd method.. but the installation fails each time..

@ nemesisvbk

Well u need to use MBR partition not GUID, Mac OS X Extended Journaled filesystem and then restore iATKOS L2, once done install chameleon bootloader.

Now place ur org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in Extra and finally copy DSDT and SSDT's into root of the USB drive. Then try to boot from usb everything should be fine.

Please read the guide carefully, my installation guide works on all intel HD 3000 optimus laptops reagrdless of any OEM. All u need is ur System specific DSDT & SSDT and org.chamelon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in place.

cheers

• Like 1

Hey .. mackyreddy thankx a lot.. reallly .. that was really stupid of me!!!

I am unable to find a proper DSDT and SSDT for my system ..

even tried making one for myself.. but after i extracted the DSDT using the DSDTSE tool.. i couldn't find the right patches for the board..

I tried a lot of websites.. but everywhere I could find only for l702x systems... where as mine is the L502x.. as mentioned in the last post.

it would be a lot of help if you could point me to one!!

plus i recently updated the BIOS to a11.

Is there any specific BIOS i should goto before moving forward to!!???

till you reply i'll try with different DSDTs I can find!!

will report the details!!

**The first DSDT used from :"http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=272645&st=0"

and the SSDTs from the "10.7.4 Dell XPS 15 17 LX02x Kexts.zip"

booted up using the pendrive was stuck on the screen where it shows images of keyboard with the power button and maybe it was the mouse

picture with some sort of led indicator highlited.. and just the process circle was going on and on .. left it for 20 mins.. no reaction.

Edited by nemesisvbk

@ nemesisvbk

Well u need to use MBR partition not GUID, Mac OS X Extended Journaled filesystem and then restore iATKOS L2, once done install chameleon bootloader.

Now place ur org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in Extra and finally copy DSDT and SSDT's into root of the USB drive. Then try to boot from usb everything should be fine.

Please read the guide carefully, my installation guide works on all intel HD 3000 optimus laptops reagrdless of any OEM. All u need is ur System specific DSDT & SSDT and org.chamelon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in place.

cheers

Hey buddy, how bout you help me out two, huh? I tried ure method with chameleon but it didn't work. I need YOUR EXACT version becuase there must be something wrong with mine. Please help me by sending me a pm with a link to a Chameleon that would work. That would be really appreciated.

OK, I ended up getting it to work.

I'm just on step 7. I can't access SLE. In Finder, I don't get "Places" so I can't access the Lion HHD. I can access my Windows HDD, but not my Lion HDD.

Should I just skip step 7 and 8, restart with Windows, and then continue steps 7 and 8 from there?

EDIT: Ok, tried that and I get a hang/kernel panic or whatever. Won't boot up. Will post screens in a few hours.

Also, before I rebooted (when my first install of Lion worked), my resolution wasn't my native 1600x900. I edited the DSDT, why is this? Is there a way to fix my res?

Thanks.

Oh well .. I compiled my own DSDT.aml using the method specified by you..

got the arg0 error.. commented it out.. and then got my own DSDT.aml :D:thumbsup_anim:

Restored the l2 image using the MBR ..

Installed the chameleon 2.1 r2026 bootloader.

replaced the plist files with yours..

Used my own DSDT.aml and your SSDTs from the lx02x folder..

but after doing everything.. as mentioned . I am still stuck here..

:wallbash::help:

IMG_0097.jpg

PLease Help mannnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent more than 72 hours on this ... help man!!! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Ok, so I have done everything in this guide (triple checked everything!) but whe I try to boot, I get a hang on some AppleIntelHDA text or something. I deleted that in Windows. I then booted, but now I hang on a "System uptime in nanoseconds". Anybody know what's wrong?

Hi :) First of all I'm sorry for my bad english :/

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm trying to follow this guide but when I'm installing Mac Os on a partition, instalation it's 1 or 2 minutes left to finish and my pc restarts, I login to windows but I can't see Mac partition with MacDrive... so I can't replace the files the guide says. I don't know what to do :( please help. Thanks

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm trying to follow this guide but when I'm installing Mac Os on a partition, instalation it's 1 or 2 minutes left to finish and my pc restarts, I login to windows but I can't see Mac partition with MacDrive... so I can't replace the files the guide says. I don't know what to do :( please help. Thanks

Your computer may be getting too hot. There are some issues with the heatsink fan under Mac OS X, I guess. Try installing in a colder room or installing from a flash drive instead of a dvd. Might help if that's the problem.

EDIT: Did you get it to work?

• Like 1

Hi Jobarrien,

I had the exact same thing happening during installation. To get it to complete, I would move the mouse, or press any key on the keyboard and it would continue with the installation. Looks like the laptop is switching on sleep mode or something at those last 2 minutes...

Hey guys,

I have managed to get mac installed and working pretty well on my Dell XPS l702x with 3D screen, no brightness i am afraid :(.

Anyhow, initially my usb headset worked a treat. However, installed the kexts from here osx no longer pics up my headset. A pain! although my sound does work through the speakers.. Any way around this?

using A.17.

Furthermore, what is:

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

Used for? as leaving it installed was the only way for me to get full high res graphics, obviously the name states Graphics, but you said it was a very important part to remove it.

Thanks!

Then I just need to get my card reader working

:)

Hello Everyone,

Am I the only one reading this ?

Of course I am super duper interested ^^

What would be the stripdown ? Would there be things missing ?

And would it be updated to mountain lion also ?

Looking soooo forward into this :)

Hi Deadsmile,

Nice to hear from u after a long time.

well i have created few Lite OS X versions, 10.7.2 dmg file weighs around 2.00 GB and installation consumes around 2.8 GB, 10.7.4 weighs 2.2 GB and installation consumes 3.1 GB where as ML 10.8 is heavier with all those stupid features and weighs 4.7 GB.

Things Removed:

Fonts other than English, screensavers, desktop pics, Speech and few apps as well.

If ur interested i will upload and i want u to test it and give me some feedback, so that i can add back or remove features based on the feedback & functionality.

Installation guide:

If u have an existing mac os x, then just restore the image to any hard disk partition or to an usb drive and then install chameleon bootloader thats it boot from it u should be greeted with a welcome screen.

if ur on windows 7 or 8 then use virtualbox, install iatkos l2 on it, then attach ur usb and restore. Finally install chameleon boot loader.

Well i have tested the image on a 30 mbps read speed usb drive and mac os x is smooth.

By the way i feel 10.7.4 is much more smoother than ML ( as i have bit cluttery graphics with new graphics framework) and also memory management is worse than lion with 80-90 processes running. I will be waiting till 10.8.2 or 10.8.3.

I feel 10.7.5 will be perfect, i am actually waiting for it, as delta build seems to be weighing more than 1 GB, so there are many changes under the hood and it should be much more stable and efficient than 10.7.4

cheers

• Like 2

It's always a pleasure :)

I now have a 128 Gb SSD In the first bay (the original HDD from Dell died... HDD's arent for moving around working notebooks :P )

Do you think it would be safe enough to install it sideways to windows 7 on the SSD or better to just have it on the usb-key ?

As you've tried ML, are there any other things getting better ? And are there any news of a full cut-off of the Nvidia Chip or this new "optimus support", As I'd like to use OSX on battery as well ^^ (And IMO the graphics being on all the time isn't what is best for the PC)

A friend of mine having a mac, but being on vacation now, I will look into the restore a bit later I think, this will save me some time ;)

Thanks for your devotion, really lucky to have the same notebook as you.

Have a nice time,

Greetings

Sorry for some off topic info, anyway have fun.

Micro 8 RTM 64 Bit:

Release Notes:

As everyone know, its an enterprise edition without windows media player.

Regarding os info the iso file size weighs at 1.59 GB and Full installation consumes 3.91 GB

Stripped down manually using Win 7 toolkit.

No Tweaking just a plain vanilla install from Microsoft.

Removed some junk from the system such as windows defender, recovery. speech, powershell, East Asian inputs (IME) and Winsxs.

Most of the drivers has been removed

Includes Windows Update ( For the sake of installing drivers )

http://www.mediafire...krcfbnfa1zgvf16 ( Part 1 )

http://www.mediafire...z34q2rz73sfddwz ( Part 2 )

http://www.mediafire...5bf458xxww6wsnc ( Part 3 )

http://www.mediafire...24y0258xfce36aq ( Part 4 )

http://www.mediafire...jhye76u5zs7l2aw ( Part 5 )

http://www.mediafire...3zm0q6o6smka4r3 ( Part 6 )

http://www.mediafire...vbwqs9bli6aij78 ( Part 7 )

http://www.mediafire...1916m95l8rrq4gi ( Part 8 )