[Guide] Installing Lion on Sandy Bridge Dell XPS L502x

AKennedy_4

73 posts in this topic

Guys, why are yall so concerned about editing the SMBios.. His problem has nothing to do with the SMBios. The boot issue is purely related to missinstallation of the kext. You need to install everything in DoiX's installer and deferintiate between the options I specified in the guide

When you say everything, you mean activate all the tips (except the one from the screen, system definitions and Speedstepper where I choose the ones needed)?

Thanks in advance.

@'jnxjn'

Was your blank screen the same a mine?? (in order to solve the same way as you)

post-958036-0-46356900-1328778847.jpg

@NotMeAgain

Is there something else left that I have to do to make osx run. I have done what you said, and always get the same kernel panic.

@AKennedy_4

I have installed DoiX's v6 package + kext utility + disk utility + reboot = kernel panic.

your packege + kext utility + disk utility + reboot = kernel panic.

DoiX's v5 package + kext utility + disk utility + reboot = kernel panic.

@You all

The only differences in my instalation are.

1) Just before the DVD finished installing Lion, the system ask me to plug a keyboard to go on. I do it, I pass that screen and I can go on without the keyboard.

2) After the configuration (name, hour, etc....) I rebootLE typing

-v GrahpicsEnabler=no busratio=22 cpus=1

and I can run OSX without any DSDT (I mean graphics works) . The problems came after that if I copy (in win7) the DSDT, install Kext.

May it be something about the Lion version I've installed (I think mine is 10.7.1, I do not have my laptop in here)?

Thanks in advance

Boot up with -v again, and carefully read the screen at the point of kernel panic, I am assuming it has something to do with speed stepping.

You'll see just under the:

STACK TRACE

BLAH

BLAH

JARGON

BLAH BLAH

MORE JARGON

Something something random meaningless bs AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement blah blah blah

further bs Something something random meaningless bs AppleIntelACIP blah blah Lar di dar

Even more bs Something something random meaningless bs AppleIntelCPU blah blah blah

You should see something around there, the top one is the more interesting. This is 90% the root of all your problems with the kernel panic.

If so, try locating an AICP/ACPIPlatform/Speedstep kext for your system version

failing that Try installing the NullCPU power management kexts, or failing that download the latest version of lion (from the appstore :) ) 10.7.2 - this is the version I used and it worked.

If it's something like AppleHDA/VoodooHDA - remove VoodooHDA and install the kexts i posted.

Audio not working...

Use my audio kexts posted a page back!

Install using kext wizard, or:

cp -rf /Users/yourname/Downloads/ALC665(or whatever)/*.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Run kext utility to repair, and rebuild system cache, reboot.

Go to applications->Audio and Midi->Set your output from Headphones to Internal->Enjoy sound.

Computer wont sleep or wake??? da faq???

Make sure you have the right DSDT installed (FHD for the 1080 screen, HD for the 768).

If using i7 CPU's use the SSDT from Doix pack

If using i5 CPU's ingore the SSDT from Doix pack, use GeneratePStates=Yes and GenerateCStates=Yes as boot arguments.

Make sure you are using Native speedstepping, get rid of sleepenabler, nullcpu, speedstepper etc etc you won't need it of you've installed things correctly.

@calreyru

No my blank screen was just black. But that was my first problem though.

make sure you installed the right dsdt, then boot

-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=22 cpus=1 DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml and make sure you include that last flag. That's what made my screen work

I'm still having audio issues =(. Deleted AppleHDA.kext and the dell one in order to use voodoo since it worked for me before. Now it doesn't work. (with voodoo). i get KP's at boot

Also my battery meter is still not showing anything, my sleep isn't working and so is my restart/shut down.

@calreyru

No my blank screen was just black. But that was my first problem though.

make sure you installed the right dsdt, then boot

-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=22 cpus=1 DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml and make sure you include that last flag. That's what made my screen work

I'm still having audio issues =(. Deleted AppleHDA.kext and the dell one in order to use voodoo since it worked for me before. Now it doesn't work. (with voodoo). i get KP's at boot

Also my battery meter is still not showing anything, my sleep isn't working and so is my restart/shut down.

Use Voodoo battery.

And do not use this system going forwards. Make a note of what had worked, wipe, re-install.

I followed the guide on page one, quite loosely, I used Iatkos L2 instead, but did use the patches and kexts supplied.

The only difference is:

I used my own sourced xps ALC kexts, and VoodooBattery and SMBios definitions of macbookpro8,2

I am using voodoo battery though. I'll download another copy of it to see if it'll work

And for my sleep issue/ shutdown issue, I'm going to try installing evoreboot through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. If that works then I'll keep going with my current system.

What I plan to do with sound is to install the 10.7.2 combo update, then reinstall the audio from doix's package, and of course the aupic or whatever the thing is called.

and notmeagain can you post the xps alc kexts? I'll try it if the doix reinstall doesn't work.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I actually don't want to wipe everything because I'm scared of ruining my windows boot mgr again. But if I fail and it is necessary I'll take the risk

and on a kind of unrelated note, how good is the apple branded bcm94321mc for wifi compared to the dw1510 performance wise?

Update:

evoreboot caused kernel panic at startup. deleted it and now system won't boot. Prior to his I installed the chimera 1.7 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and also the 10.7.2 update.

I'm gonna start fresh and reinstall osx sometime in the weekend hopefully. damn exam week is going to keep me busy.

I have a feeling that installing doix's v5 package first instead of v6 was maybe the cause of my shut down/ reboot problem. Maybe sleep too.

it is possible buddy.

Sorry to hear it nuked on you, I feel kinda bad because mine worked first time, but then again I have been messing with this stuff since 10.5 on and off.

By "System won't boot" it may be because Chimera overwrote your org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /extra thereby erasing your "busratio=22 DSDT=/Extra/no-nvidia.aml GraphicsEnabler=No" keys.

I've had absolutely no need for eve-reboot or anything else for that matter.

Installed windows, installed OSX, boot with rbootle, finish installation, install DoiX pack, and correct DSDT, run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] select the options shown on the first page, get rid of nullcpu.kext run kextutility, restart.

boot straight into OSX, no sound... look around for the Dell kexts (they are a couple pages back btw) install them, grab voodoo battery from kexts.com, install them, run kextutility reboot, enjoy.

It really was that simple for me, and the best thing to do when you lose track of whats happened is just boot off iatkosl2, nuke the mac partition and start again ;)

edit:

Actually, the kexts are linked on this very page!

The Dell ALC665 files can be found here:

http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2079

A bit bass heavy but this is fixed by removing the SoundProcessing node from the plist in the dell_xps next.

I wouldn't let a hackintosh interfere with exam week though, I did that in the early days and overwrote my MFT+MBR, lost all my course material in the first few minutes of OSX :D fun times.

It's ok though, at least I now know that my system will be fresh, and start off right rather than being "fixed" through reinstalling of a number of kexts, edited .plists etc..

And thanks so much! I honestly wouldn't have made my hackintosh work this far without your and others' help. I would've been killed by KP's

lol i learned my lesson from last semester. I was hackintoshing my old laptop, and all of a sudden i installed a bad kext, osx stopped working, and it somehow managed to mess up my windows too. This happened a week before exam week, and the notes i was able to recover was minimal. Should've backed them up lol

Oh the desperate feeling for wanting a hackintosh

Decided to take a break from studying and reinstall osx.

Everything works except sleep, shutdown/reboot.

The last time it worked it was like this:

boot with rboot le

plug in usb, KP reboot

boot with rboot

install doix v6 package (didnt install sound)

reboot via osx (it works)

boot flawless

run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install

reboot via osx, doesn't work. I'm forced to reboot via power button. I then booted back up and installed audio kexts provided by notmeagain and it works!

And now I'm scared to keep shutting down with the power button because after a bit of booting in and out of osx, i get an error that says ebios read error.

Scared the {censored} out of me thinking the machine is bricked.

What might be the problem is that my AppleIntelCPUPM wasn't installed properly by the package.

Yes I tried the solution in the troubleshooting part in the beginning but it doesn't work. Says that vrms cant be written/found (forgot exactly what it said)

and that the other stuff before that said "already patched" and some "cannot find"

NullCpu is also deleted

This is my only problem now and after this I'll have a 100% working xps. And I also ended up using my apple wifi card and switched the antenna wires from the stock one to it and it works.

sorry for the long post, but i'm really excited to get this laptop working 100%

I've just see a youtube video about someone that installs 10.7.1 and I see that when the instalation:

post-949302-0-42166000-1328866146_thumb.jpg

Finish you have to get this screen:

post-949302-0-40312000-1328866206_thumb.jpg

But my laptop suddenly reboot itselfs when it's one minute to go (I tought I was right, but now I'm not that sure).

Am I right??

Thanks.

I've just see a youtube video about someone that installs 10.7.1 and I see that when the instalation:

post-949302-0-42166000-1328866146_thumb.jpg

Finish you have to get this screen:

post-949302-0-40312000-1328866206_thumb.jpg

But my laptop suddenly reboot itselfs when it's one minute to go (I tought I was right, but now I'm not that sure).

Am I right??

Thanks.

Bad image i believe buddy.

Get a copy of iatkosl2 (If you already own a copy of lion legally it shouldn't be an issue with forum rules to ask this).

Burn it on a standard dvd at 4x speeds and use that.

Playing around with the usb style installations can cause issues.

Good news!

99% works! The DSDT included with DoiX's package was my problem. I replaced the DSDT with the one i had originally after the install (through windows macdrive) and sleep works, shutdown works and and everything else except for reboot but I'm ok with that. Also voodoo battery still says that there is no battery available, and I can't find a fix for it. I've tried different voodoobatteries but none work. Any other options to show battery life?

Careyru try installing iatkosL1 again but use a different file because yours sounds like something has gone wrong during the downloading process. Or it was not burned/copied properly.

Install iatkos L1

boot into windows andd in macdrive install the DSDT posted at page 2 or 3.

boot into osx with robot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=22 (or your value if it's not) cpus=1 DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml

go through the setup process and after that you should be at the Lion desktop or login page

install DoiX's v6 package and DO NOT INSTALL THE DSDT INCLUDED OR THE SOUND KEXTS

reboot. you should be able to boot without robot le

Install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install the things that the guide says

After that, it should be working flawlessly

@jnxjn

I burn again the DVD and the instalation finish all right.

I do what you say and again the same kernel panic.

When you say DO NOT INSTALL THE DSDT INCLUDED OR THE SOUND KEXTS you install every thing the same except the DSDT and the sound tips??

I'll try one more time tonight.

Thanks!!

Is it compulsory to copy de DSDT to extra??

I think in the Doix original guide you do not have to copy the DSDT.

Post Lion Install:

L502x V6 - autoinstall kext pack (audio,trackpad,battery,cpu temperature detection,DSDT,SSDT,applications, patched AICPUPM, system definitions)

If you have the FHD Display, your screen will be fuzzy and pinkish.. you just have to get pass the set up screen so you can get to the desktop and install(copy to /Extra folder) the proper patch. It is located in the auto installer L502x-Lion_v6 > IMPORTANT!Boot.plist > FOR OTHER SCREENS!. Select it.

If you have the normal HD Display, you can find the right patch in L502x-Lion_v6 > IMPORTANT!Boot.plist > ONLY FOR 1920x1080 SCREENS!.

The kexts in the pack are mandatory to boot without rBoot LE CD/ to be fully functional. Install them with Kext Wizard (also provided) in S/L/E+

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought an USB WiFi dongle, this one: http://www.buyincoin...oduct-2464.html

I want to use it on Lion, but I dont know how that works. I inserted the dongle and I get these screens in Lion:

2rrtams.png

ygpix.png

How do I configure my WiFi?

Some information about the donge:

Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

I attached the OSX and Linux drivers that were included

MacOS 10.6.rar

MacOS 10.5.rar

MacOS 10.4.rar

Linux.rar

Hey NotMeAgain,

I have the l702x, and it has the same audio codec (alc665) and I have noticed the amount of bass!

How do you modify the amount of bass in the audio kexts? I couldn't find the reference you mentioned earlier in the plist file

Hey NotMeAgain,

I have the l702x, and it has the same audio codec (alc665) and I have noticed the amount of bass!

How do you modify the amount of bass in the audio kexts? I couldn't find the reference you mentioned earlier in the plist file

Hi, I followed this information:

To fix the heavy bass you need to remove the node:

Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext/Contents/info.plist

HDA Platform Resource > Layouts > PathMapRef > IntSpeaker > SignalProcessin

It might help if you get a decent text editor, or plist editor that groups those nodes together.

You are looking in the plist file something like this structure:

<IntSpeaker>

<SignalProcessin>

You need to find the associating "</node>" and delete from <SignalProcessin> to that last node.

I'm not explaining it very well. When I get home I'll upload the kext for you.

My laptop is always at 56->60oC (idle or not).

It is currently 10.7.3 with patched AICPUPM. BIOS is A06.

I use 3TS-SSDT.

I installed lion following exactly in the guide.

I read somewhere that maybe FakeSMC is the culprit. My version is 3.1.0.

Can someone tell what I missed?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi thanks for all the effort of the contributors here..i am now running osx lion on my xps L502x....done perfectly with some small modification,

1) i downgrade bios to A06

2) i made extra extensions folder inside Extra folder and put all the kext with dependency problem bcoz of the jmicron kext, now its running well without kernel panic on boot.

3) i change wifi card to atheros

Thanks again guys...

• 4 weeks later...