{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I installed OS X successfully on my N5110, everything is good except my keyboard layout. I choose US layout but I can't type the backward slash ( \ ) and the pipeline ( | ) anymore, the key right on top of the Enter key procedures ( ` ) and ( ~ ) while the key right on top of the tab key procedures ( § ) and ( ± ). I've tried to GG but didn't help. Any work around to fix this thing?

go to /System/Library/Extension/VoodooPS2Controller/MacOS.. find something like plist.info

search for dell wn09 and remove the 52,29,2b  custom ps2 key remaps 

plist.info can be edited with xcode

radu, thank you so much! You've just saved my day.

At first I didn't get you, but I tried to work around and finally have it fixed and will clarify here for later come:

1. Locate the VoodooPS2Controller.kext at SLE, show its package content.

2. In the package content, continue locate VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext at Contents/PlugIns/, show its package content.

3. Go to Contents, open to edit the file Info.plist.

4. Remove the row with keys 56, 29 and 2b in the Info.plist, located at Info.plist~IOKitPersonalities/ApplePS2Keyboard/Platform Profile/DELL/WN09/Custom PS2 Map

5.Restart the machine.

• Like 1

I just use BCM943225HMB on my Dell, I got issue with bluetooth light that the light flicker forever when bluetooth mouse connected. if I turn off mouse, it turn back to normal. could you please help me resolve it. Thank you!

Hello guys !

I recently installed Mac OS X 10.9 - Niresh distro on my N5110 (i5 2410M, GT 525M, 640GB, 4GB). Everything worked fine after the POST INSTALL procedure. 

Two days ago, I updated the OS to 10.9.4 and a I guess few things broke. The battery consumption before was amazing (on a extended battery I was getting 6 hours !!) but now it has decreased slightly probably because of the fact that laptop heats up more.

Apart from this, the touchpad isn't working at all. So I used VoodooPS2Controller.kext but that didn't work too. I had no choice so I went on installing Rehab-Man's edited kext in this thread. It is working fine however it is really buggy and very difficult to control the touch.

I believe the update broke my system by writing original Apple kexts. So I replaced the kexts from POST INSTALL folder but no good. I will be really thankful to anyone who helps me !

Thanks in advance !!

Hello guys !

I recently installed Mac OS X 10.9 - Niresh distro on my N5110 (i5 2410M, GT 525M, 640GB, 4GB). Everything worked fine after the POST INSTALL procedure. 

Two days ago, I updated the OS to 10.9.4 and a I guess few things broke. The battery consumption before was amazing (on a extended battery I was getting 6 hours !!) but now it has decreased slightly probably because of the fact that laptop heats up more.

Apart from this, the touchpad isn't working at all. So I used VoodooPS2Controller.kext but that didn't work too. I had no choice so I went on installing Rehab-Man's edited kext in this thread. It is working fine however it is really buggy and very difficult to control the touch.

I believe the update broke my system by writing original Apple kexts. So I replaced the kexts from POST INSTALL folder but no good. I will be really thankful to anyone who helps me !

Thanks in advance !!

You should try this kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/page-106?do=findComment&comment=2014917

Sorry, guys, what about AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disconnected because station leaving).    Setup stuck??

I do everything exactly as discribed in first post(step by step).

So what can i do to move on?

• 2 weeks later...

So hello guys, finally i get my Hackintosh working, that is - wi-fi, sound, boot (w/o panics), keyboard and trackpad working. So all is good. As I want to use Hack' as my daily system only thing that I really miss is HDMI out, which as I understand can't be enabled w/o enabling second GPU, that in my case is nVidia GeForce GT525M. As I read in few posts around here and other similar sites, Apple does not supprot Optimus, what is such kind of saving mechanism for these GPU's, but those post were pretty old, yongest was, as I remember from 2013. 

So, have someone found any way to get these Optimus cards working? Any .kexts, any mods for DSDT, SSDT? 

Maybe be so helpful and share, or at lest show me right way to set/ enable it without kernel/ boot panics?

My specs - Dell n5110, i5-2450m, HD3000+GT525M, SSD+HDD, Dell 1702, 6GB Ram. 

Thanks, and greeting from Latvia. :)

You can load bootx64.efi from HFS, FAT or NTFS partitions. There is no need to format your HDD as GPT. Otherwise you will have no sound in Windows. 

dont worry about that :)

i will write my method on making GPT hybird MBR to use UEFI for OS X and Legacy bios for WIndows on same HDD 

hope it will be easy for all :D

First post updated ....

hope feedback if you faced problem with this part ! ....

BuI8OU.png

Contents

• Some information you need to know to bypass installation without panic .
  • Bios mod --> latest bios mods for UEFI Unlocking , Native power management and Vesa mode .
  • Pre Install --> preparing your Usb Flash Memory for installation .
  • Post Install --> Finishing installation
  • Customisation --> optional ! .
  • Problems and Solutions .
  • Credits .
  • Updates .

some Info

-you need to know that with OS X we need to make some customisation for every hardware spesfication .

-our notebook have some customisation on cpu , graphics and wireless card .

-so when you going to setup you must to know your cpu name to choose your SSDT-4.aml this table show to OS X the power states that     this cpu works with it .

-you need also to use the correct DSDT.aml and Config.plist this is determined by the presence of nVidia Card , AMD Card or not .

-if you are looking for using WIFI on osx the only working card is dell Wireless 1702 card , Replace your one with working one if you don't have .

-intel wireless card won't work also nvidia & AMD GFX Cards won't work don't ask about them . 

-you need to do bios mod it is a must .

Bios Mod

You can find here bios mod LINK

you will find tool to apply bios mod .

• close all programs
  • open tool
  • choose bios file
  • on setup menu choose Program all Blocks
  • press flash
  • wait till finish
  • close program
  • shutdown the notebook .. you done :)

this bios mod contain unblocked UEFI , updated microcode , updated intel vbios with support for vesa mode & patched power management module .

Pre Install

for Pre Install you will need

• Instal OS X ........ .App Get it From App Store .
  • Pre Install Folder LINK .
  • Flash Memory 8 GB or more .
  • watching this Video .

now you ready for installation without any panic or any problem

start setuping :)

For Windows Setup

- boot normally from Window DVD ( don't use UEFI ) and setup as normal

- Later to boot windows just exit Clover or press F12 and choose HDD ( this after we install clover on HDD )

• Like 1

Updated  Post install

please test and send feedback here to ensure that the script works as it should !

Post Install

now you need This Post Install Folder LINK

Follow this steps to finish .

- Put PostInstall Folder on Desktop .

- Copy to PostInstall Folder the EFI folder you made before from Flash Memory .

- if you want to do Customisations below do them on CustomPeripheral.kext that on PostInstall Folder before next step .

- now open Terminal and type this command .

cd ~/Desktop/PostInstall 

then 

sudo ./PostInstall.sh 

- After Finishing Run kext Utility then Restart

- Boot from UEFI Flash Memory

- there is small icon of clover called Clover Boot Option 

7NVh3v.png

- from it add clover as boot option 

SSWi2H.png

- Now shutdown your notebook remove flash memory and power on , you will see clover and Enjoy .

N.B.

- about OS X upcoming updates just update nothing needed after you update all will work don't worry  about that !.

- about reinstalling on future you just need to restore app to flash memory only as on vedio no need to do refi folder again 

and after setup just install kext to system/library/extensions and .zlib files to resources folder of applehda.kext then rebuild caches only !.

Hi Mohamed Khairy,

I have questions about the Guide:

1. How Can I format entire the HDD as what, then Windows and OS X can use the same "DATA" partition?
2. Please provide more description when the "install progress" from USB flash completed 100% -> reboot

Have a good day, thank you!