[Asus U36SD] - a few dsdt questions

alianyn

140 posts in this topic

There is too many of them. Can post my config file if needed. KP showes even when using chameleon.

I've bought yesterday 10.8.4 from app store, and will try again tonight. 

BTW You know that if you try to boot installer with Clover it ignores the /Extra folder from installation disk? Also what system definition does Clover assigns to your laptop?

No i didnt. Will check out assigned settings and let you know later. I think you are right and this might be Extra folder issue.

Couldnt wait, so i have prepared 10.8.4 USB using Myhack ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] didnt work), installed newest chameleon on it and what a surprise - it worked, but i got stuck on IOBluetoothHCIController. 
Ive removed all NVDA kexts from installer USB (couldnt find any GeForce.kext in S/L/E) , repaired permissions.  

Next boot and the same problem.   

Another try, this time i removed: ATI*, AppleIntelSNB* AppleIntelHD*, repaired permissions.

Boot from USB and finally i could see installer screen. Im little bit busy at the moment so will try to install tonight.

What about graphic acceleration if kexts were removed? 

Time for the update.

Finally ive installed ML 10.8.4 retail using MyHack and latest chameleon. As i wrote earlier, had to remove all GeForce, NVDA and AppleIntelHD kexts to get into installer.

Installatiion went fine, next boot with -v -f flags to make sure everything is ok. 

Ive searched osx86.net and found fresh AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext which i have used to get graphic acceleration back to work. 
Next thing was no sound issue. Tried many of VoodooHDA versions - no success, same thing with AppleHDA. I realised that there was no problem with sound in distro ive installed couple days ago so i went to S/L/E folder in distro installer and copied VoodooHDA.kext. Installed with KextUtility, and voila - sound works perfectly.
Problems with USB3.0 port and card reader ive fixed using PXHCD.kext and AnyCardReader.kext from package attachet in this thread. 
Battery indicator works with modified AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext from osx86.net. Little delay to battery status occurs when unplugging charger but no freeze as it was with voodoobattery.kext. 
Also power managment seems to work properly. Temperature monitor showes 49 - 55 degrees (celsius), depends on actual cpu load.

The only problems at the moment:

display brightness - have to use fn+f6 keys to get full brightness every time i turn on the laptop
external usb hub - after sleep i have to replug it manually. I've searched google and this is standard issue with extrenal usb hubs even on real Macs.

Not bad so far ;)
If anybody wants, i can send kexts and clover config ive used.

• Like 1

Time for the update.

Finally ive installed ML 10.8.4 retail using MyHack and latest chameleon. As i wrote earlier, had to remove all GeForce, NVDA and AppleIntelHD kexts to get into installer.

Installatiion went fine, next boot with -v -f flags to make sure everything is ok. 

Ive searched osx86.net and found fresh AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext which i have used to get graphic acceleration back to work. 

Next thing was no sound issue. Tried many of VoodooHDA versions - no success, same thing with AppleHDA. I realised that there was no problem with sound in distro ive installed couple days ago so i went to S/L/E folder in distro installer and copied VoodooHDA.kext. Installed with KextUtility, and voila - sound works perfectly.

Problems with USB3.0 port and card reader ive fixed using PXHCD.kext and AnyCardReader.kext from package attachet in this thread. 

Battery indicator works with modified AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext from osx86.net. Little delay to battery status occurs when unplugging charger but no freeze as it was with voodoobattery.kext. 

Also power managment seems to work properly. Temperature monitor showes 49 - 55 degrees (celsius), depends on actual cpu load.

The only problems at the moment:

display brightness - have to use fn+f6 keys to get full brightness every time i turn on the laptop

external usb hub - after sleep i have to replug it manually. I've searched google and this is standard issue with extrenal usb hubs even on real Macs.

Not bad so far ;)

If anybody wants, i can send kexts and clover config ive used.

It would be great if you can share your kexs and clover config :)

Thanks a lot!

Time for another update.

Looks like my last post was written too fast. In the last couple of days i have found new issues. 
AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext wasn't a good choice. I have realised that everything works fine in first minutes of os running. After that time plugging/unplugging charger causes system freeze. Cursor was frozen and the only thing i could do was hard reset by pressing power button. Finally i've found only one kext working properly - artur's-pt VoodooBattery. It comes with AppleAPCIPlatform.kext so dont forget to install both files.

PXHCD.kext didnt work properly as well. USB3.0 port worked only till device was ejected. 
Today ive found proper kext on InsanelyMac, called GenericUSBXHCI. USB 3.0 drives works great and fast, OS seems to be stable and it also supports external devices which are not drives. Tested with usb soundcard and usb hub.
There is just one issue ive admitted so far. System reboots when i plug my soundcard in. Needs to be plugged in when pc's turned off.  It's not happening when using usb drives!!
I hope it will be fixed in new versions.

Last thing is Clover config. Been reading whole specification once again and followed by instruction from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?p=1916256

Great way to set config file as it suppose to be.

I attach all kexts i have used. Feel free to use them ;)

Good luck!

KEXTS.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got another update. Hope this is the last one for some time. 

Unfortunatly i couldn't manage to get charger working. Been told by Slice to try Clovers standard legacy mode instead of UEFI and that was the hook.

Did fresh install 10.8.4 and Clover r1902.

Booting in legacy mode, gave me stable and almost fully working MacBookPro.

Works:

Intel HD3000 QE/CI

Power Managment

USB3.0

WiFi

Ethernet

Card Reader

Sleep/Wake

Reboot

Shutdown

Charger

Not working:

GeForce GT520M (because of optimus)

Bluetooth (works after sleep)

Turbo States (using patched DSDT and SSDT gives me only 2 states. im sure about ssdt , but have to look at dsdt again to check cpu section)

Did geekbench test: 5885 pkt. Almost the same as real MacBookPro Mid-2012 with i5 Ivy Bridge processor 
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2119073

Made some changes to kexts attached above. Let me know if needed.  

Hi @radargb, thanks a lot for the update.

I would like to ask you if any of the working specs (usb3.0, power management, etc) is working due to the usage of Clover.  I'm using Chameleon right now, so I would like to know which are the benefits of moving to Clover (never used, never read about it :( ).

If you can attach the kexts and clover configuration it would be really great, I 've an external HDD in which I can play around :)

Also is great that you have posted the geekbench result, I will compare it with my setup later today :)

Thanks a again for the update!

Got another update. Hope this is the last one for some time. 

Unfortunatly i couldn't manage to get charger working. Been told by Slice to try Clovers standard legacy mode instead of UEFI and that was the hook.

Did fresh install 10.8.4 and Clover r1902.

Booting in legacy mode, gave me stable and almost fully working MacBookPro.

Works:

Intel HD3000 QE/CI

Power Managment

USB3.0

WiFi

Ethernet

Card Reader

Sleep/Wake

Reboot

Shutdown

Charger

Not working:

GeForce GT520M (because of optimus)

Bluetooth (works after sleep)

Turbo States (using patched DSDT and SSDT gives me only 2 states. im sure about ssdt , but have to look at dsdt again to check cpu section)

Did geekbench test: 5885 pkt. Almost the same as real MacBookPro Mid-2012 with i5 Ivy Bridge processor 
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2119073

Made some changes to kexts attached above. Let me know if needed.  

I'm back in game as I almost finished OS X on my desktop ;D

Back on topic! For now I have installed 10.8.3 and I am using the newest Clover(updated yesterday) + installed newest FakeSMC + plugin's + HWSensor from kozlek's github. The issues that I experience are:

1) Same as radargb I cannot use charger. Replug causes system freeze

2) I have no sound after sleep!

3) No BT but it is probably easy to solve. If it will work after sleep it seems ok :P

4) Probably something more but I didn't have time to test it as much as I should.

5) It seems like I experience some higher temperatures than normally. I will need to check it on windows and compare. But on Turbo with Geekbench I had them rised up to 85 degrees. 

On the other hand I have PM working. 6750 in Geekbench plus in HWSensor I have about 4-5 states. As soon as I will recall how I managed to do that I will write about it ;P

That's all for now. 

• Like 1

Hi @radargb, thanks a lot for the update.

I would like to ask you if any of the working specs (usb3.0, power management, etc) is working due to the usage of Clover.  I'm using Chameleon right now, so I would like to know which are the benefits of moving to Clover (never used, never read about it :( ).

If you can attach the kexts and clover configuration it would be really great, I 've an external HDD in which I can play around :)

Also is great that you have posted the geekbench result, I will compare it with my setup later today :)

Thanks a again for the update!

Unfortunatly i didnt test both bootloaders this time, just remember my last expierence using chameleon and snow leopard: KPs, freezes etc.

You should try by yourself!  Check out some topics about Clover and user expierence It is really worth a try :)

I'm back in game as I almost finished OS X on my desktop ;D

Back on topic! For now I have installed 10.8.3 and I am using the newest Clover(updated yesterday) + installed newest FakeSMC + plugin's + HWSensor from kozlek's github. The issues that I experience are:

1) Same as radargb I cannot use charger. Replug causes system freeze

2) I have no sound after sleep!

3) No BT but it is probably easy to solve. If it will work after sleep it seems ok :P

4) Probably something more but I didn't have time to test it as much as I should.

5) It seems like I experience some higher temperatures than normally. I will need to check it on windows and compare. But on Turbo with Geekbench I had them rised up to 85 degrees. 

On the other hand I have PM working. 6750 in Geekbench plus in HWSensor I have about 4-5 states. As soon as I will recall how I managed to do that I will write about it ;P

That's all for now. 

Hope that someone will solve our charging issue soon! Really enjoyed fast boot via UEFI ;)

Found same problem with integrated audio after sleep, but i use external soundcard so it doesnt bother me that much. This occurs to AppleHDA only. VoodooHDA works fine after sleep.

How did you get 4 states working? MSRDumper showes me just 8 and 24.

Do you use custom DSDT/SSDT or patched by Clover? 

Im also curious what is causing high temp? The highest i reached was 62 degrees for each core.

hello

what smbios are u using ?

must use and load with clover a proper smbios for u config.

and have native cpu power management working.. without nullcpupowermanagement..

good hack

hello

what smbios are u using ?

must use and load with clover a proper smbios for u config.

and have native cpu power management working.. without nullcpupowermanagement..

good hack

Using MacBookPro8,1 plist.

Native CPUPM works fine, dont use nullcpupowermanagment. 

Ive checked IORegistryExplorer. Have 23 values under PerformaceStateArray, but there is no CPUPLimit string. Is it normal?

Im using DSDT patched by Clover and SSDT generated by RevoGirl's script. Both in clover's patched folder. Booting with DropOEMSSDT=No

What did you use to install OS? myHack puts kext package myHack.kext which contains NULLCPUPM. I used ssdt generated by the revo script as well. I use smbios generated by Clover (MacBookPro8,1). AICPUPM patched by clover as well. 

Higher temps than yours are probably caused by the fact I have turbo - x28 - step.

About Clover config there is my ACPI section:

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DsdtName</key>
		<string>DSDT.aml</string>
		<key>FixDsdtMask</key>
		<string>0x0004</string>
		<key>DropOemSSDT</key>
		<true/>
		<key>DropAPIC</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DropMCFG</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DropHPET</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DropECDT</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DropDMAR</key>
		<true/>
		<key>DropBGRT</key>
		<true/>
		<key>GenerateIvyStates</key>
		<false/>
		<key>GenerateCStates</key>
		<false/>
		<key>GeneratePStates</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DoubleFirstState</key>
		<false/>
		<key>PLimitDict</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>UnderVoltStep</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</dict>

I attached my dsdt and ssdt but note that I have i5-2430M.

EDIT: What is your idle temp? Mine is ~50* which is imho high...

DSDTandSSDT.zip

Edited by pfilipp

Didnt know about myHack bundle! Just checked kexts and you are right, there is nullcpupowermanagment loaded.

Idle temp is same as yours. Looks like proper temperature for me. Real MacBooks are getting more than 50 (idle).

I'll try to drop your tables and see what happens.

Why did u set DropOEMSSDT=Yes? Im little bit confused. Does it mean to load generated ssdt or clean one? There was DroppSSDT function in chameleon to load custom ssdt, but for me OEM means clean. Found out lot of different topics about it. One says to use it when loading custom ssdt, another to disable it. 

BTW

Do i need all of these myHack kexts?

OK ppl!

myHack.kext deleted - now speedstep works fine. 

Found this kext earlier but didnt know it comes with nullcpupowermanagment!

Thanks artur-pt and pfillip for your help! Really appreciate that!

Run another Geekbench test. Score is 6881! Great for me.

Pfillip, ive reached 80 degrees.  I may be wrong but looks like just standart temp on our laptops.

IDLE temp is oscilating between 45-50.

There is no difference in boot with DropOEMSSDT=Yes/No. Ive checked twice already.

Whats yours max freq during geekbench test? I could get only 2800. Ok for me, but turbo speed is 3000. Should i run heavier test to reach turbo state?

I had same thing as you had but on my PC. I didn't know that myHack contains NULL[...] as well and spend few days trying to solve that problem. I was quite furious when I found out what caused all of the problems. I got to that because of kext wizard - it has section that shows you loaded kexts. Quite useful :-)

About PM. I had 2800 as well. I wrote turbo as I thought it was turbo... I forgot what is turbo state on our laptops. So I don't have it as well. Probably we will have to try some different options in clover. On my PC turbo was locked as long as I didn't set turbo state per core(so every core had set turbo state directly not like one state for all the cores - but anyway I set the same state all along). In laptop bios we don't have such options... Generally we don't have OC options so I hope it can be solved somehow without that.

Tomorrow I will try to clean up my laptop from dust and will report some temperature changes. I will also check windows temperatures.

Looking forward to your temp update ;)

Is it possible to unlock BIOS to have access to all settings? There is many sites providing modified bioses, but most of them works with desktop pc mobos.

hello

the powermanagement is not good..

u should achieve 8000 /9000

the smbios is right...

use pike script to generate the ssdt

dropssdt=yes

p and c-states=no

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1703

must test old way.. with clover and without ssdt see first link about clover

good hack

Hi artur-pt!

Used your link to generate new ssdt. There is no difference between pikes an revogirls one.
Tried also without ssdt, using Generate P an C states - results are the same as with custom dsdt.

Did stress test using " yes > /dev/null " in terminal - still cant reach 3000MHz. 

• 3 months later...

Same here! 

I've installed 10.9 on second partition last week. Didnt want to update 10.8.4 to make sure its working.

Installation went fine, but i have found problem with HD3000.

Got native resolution but there is no full acceleration. Menubar is not transparent, launchpad hangs and no way to watch any video or flash content.

Tried kexts from 10.8.4 and these new uploaded on osx86.net - no success.

So far it looks like the only issue. Also realised that 10.9 works little bit faster than 10.8.4. 

What do you mean by 'the only issue'? You have btry working and sound after sleep for example? That would be great! Also what bootloader do you use? I think that latest Clover might solve problems with graphics. On my PC after updating from 10.8.4 I had to update Clover as sometimes I got blank screen after sleep. (Have Radeon HD7850 so I am not sure if it helps with HD3000 but I hope it will :) )

As yesterday I finally opened up my notebook, I can swap hdd and finally have opportunity to test OS before destroying my existing installation - what I want to say I am going to try it this weekend. 

Guys, i've installed 10.9 again and have very good news!

Everything is working almost out of the box ;)

This time i've used clover instead of myHack's chameleon.

Installation went fast and fine. Reboot without any kernel flags.

HD3000 works with full QE/CI, didnt have to install any kexts.

Battery works with the same AppleSmartBattery i am using in 10.8.4

Sound (ALC269) works with fresh AppleHDA kexts from osx86net (quick dsdt edit needed).

Sound and battery works perfectly also after sleep!!

I'm using old 1902 version of Clover in legacy mode.

The same patched DSDT and SSDT as in 10.8.4. 

Can attach kexts if needed!

• Like 1