Apple acknowledges Macbook shutdown problem

Swad

15 posts in this topic

Oh Apple. You’re so forthcoming when you’re wrong. I hope you never get married.

xlr8yourmac clued us in to a brand new kbase entry on Apple’s website regarding the Macbooks and their RSS (Random Shutdown Syndrome). Here it is. The whole thing. The entire post. Are you ready? Sitting down? Good. We’re about to paste it. All of it.

If your MacBook is shutting down intermittently, please contact AppleCare for service.

I feel better. Don't you?

I've just got my MacBook from Apple Distributor here. (MacBook Random Shutdown issue)

Sadly they've some how ***fu$$ed*** my lid thing so now if I close the mac it does nothing.

The technician said he'll check it with apple and they would get it from me and back to me as he'll have a solution.

They represent Apple here so it's quite funny they don't know much.

So the big question you'd ask... what have they done to my machine:

* Replaced my Logic-Board

* Replaced my BTO-80GB HD (They said it wasn't for nothing though I've NEVER had HD issues)

* Wrote in big letters - DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.4.7 (guess this one isn't official Apple thing but their own presumption)

AND THE INTERESTING PART(s):

My first Motherboard was manufactured on May.

The new motherboard is from August!!.

Software didn't suggest SMC Fan Update though I'm still on 10.4.6

My current SMC is: 1.4f8

Boot ROM: MB11.005F.B00

And here is my amazing serial number: SystemSerialNumb

The board serial I got off the repair form show each part S/N.

In addition the new M/B got it running cooler...

It runs between 38c to 66c

The 1st board with the exact enclosure was at 50c to 70c.

Interesting...

I've just got my MacBook from Apple Distributor here. (MacBook Random Shutdown issue)

Sadly they've some how ***fu$$ed*** my lid thing so now if I close the mac it does nothing.

The technician said he'll check it with apple and they would get it from me and back to me as he'll have a solution.

They represent Apple here so it's quite funny they don't know much.

So the big question you'd ask... what have they done to my machine:

* Replaced my Logic-Board

* Replaced my BTO-80GB HD (They said it wasn't for nothing though I've NEVER had HD issues)

* Wrote in big letters - DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.4.7 (guess this one isn't official Apple thing but their own presumption)

AND THE INTERESTING PART(s):

My first Motherboard was manufactured on May.

The new motherboard is from August!!.

Software didn't suggest SMC Fan Update though I'm still on 10.4.6

My current SMC is: 1.4f8

Boot ROM: MB11.005F.B00

And here is my amazing serial number: SystemSerialNumb

The board serial I got off the repair form show each part S/N.

In addition the new M/B got it running cooler...

It runs between 38c to 66c

The 1st board with the exact enclosure was at 50c to 70c.

Interesting...

1st) don't be offended by me saying this as it is absolutlly not my intention to step on ppls toes whom spend a good deal of money on Apple computers but...

For an aclaimed "hardware company" Apple seriously makes a lot of hardware blunders!!!

Whats next? Whats with the new iMACs when will we see exploding iMACs or what can we expect with the soon to be released G2 iPOD nano? Perhaps these new iPODs can be used as a lighter... a one time disposable lighter that is :)

I for one am glad I never bought that mini after they turned unbelievably hypocrite on the onboard gfx-issue.

2) On "generic" PC's random shutdown usually occurs when the system gets too hot (eg. when the cpu-cooler is not properly seated etc...). Since according to you, the exchange o/t mainboard you noticed too that your system "appears" cooler. So it's obvious that the Macbook issues are heat realated.

Perhaps you could dissassemble the MB yourself and see how cooling paste is applaid and how well the cooling ellements and fans are mounted.

I really hope Apple gets its act together and that your (and other ppl's too) problems get solved. For me this is just another reason to stick with the hackintosh a bit longer.

Regards,

EPDM

I've just called apple care, I have been waiting for them to acknowledge this issue.

This is my little experience with Intel Macs: After 3 defective MacBooks Pro 15' (whine, heat, display which looks grainy as for the iMachttp://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...88 and so on) I went for a black MacBook after 3 months of intensive use: random shutdows. I'm getting tired of these computers, I've always been a mac user but they are really changing my mind and Mash knows what I'm talking about trying to finish a little work has been almost impossible.

I'm very tempted to purchase the iMac 24' but I'm too scared....

I do hope they have understood what is causing the problem in the Macbook if I have a defective MacBook after the repair I'll probably fix on my own (If I manage to do that)

Do you know what, the Hackintosh is a much more reliable machine

Is this problem fixed in the new macbooks or is it with only certain builds?

Newer boards seems to fix those issues.

The first MacBooks had some issue with the PMU or so making the issue with the Shutdown.

I'll give the new motherboard a go. though the service tech guy told me not to update to 10.4.7 I'd really like to check it. I believe it has nothing to do with the shutdown and the newer motherboard should be capable.

48hours now and the system is running. Heavy sessions got my system to 76c but this is the highest reading I've got so far

I just got back my macbook from Apple Repair, after 20 long days of waiting,,,, they replaced my week 19 logic board to week 31 according to the repair sheet and ya... i got that interesting serial number too now in system profiler numbered: "SystemSerialNumb"... seems new board fixed already the RSD...

I'm willing to bet the RSD is due to the GPU being too close to the CPU and the heat generated from the CPU is a) causing artifacts :hysterical: causing the random shutdowns. Heck, even the iMACS are using underclocked ATI GPU's.

If you compare the MB to MBP you will see the logic portion of the ATI further away and underclocked whereas if I am not mistaken the GMA is right above/below the CPU...too much heat will cause a memory error then a shutdown.

I've been experiencing some issues with my Macbook lately, and I'm wondering whether it is the random shutdown syndrome. My macbook started crashing rather frequently lately, about two to three times a day. Sometimes I see the "grey-screen" of death which tells me I should press the power button to restart the machine and sometimes it just crashes without displaying the message.

I don't think it is a software issue as I haven't installed anything new before the problems began. I also tested for defective RAM.

For those of you experiencing RSS: do you have a clean shutdown or a full-on crash? If it is heat related, maybe the underlying problems are the same for both symptoms?

retroz:

The Macbook issue isn't GPU related. the shutdown usually happens when the Macbook is COLD. during first boot-up of the day. or it can occur on a random hour without any notice even when the system isn't hot.

The CPU area is way hotter than the GPU/chipset one (at least if I touch the keyboard above it).

pluggulp:

Your description seems to be related to 2 different potential causes -

a. Bad RAM, this one is what I'll go with as it's usually the issue. grey screens and programs deciding to go away are usually cause by ram errors. and yes they can start becoming corrupted after few months or even a year or so...

b. Heat issue. some Macbooks were hotter than others and while the cpu gets above what it should it start mis-calculating - generating crashes and freezing. (or shutdown on severe cases)

The CoreDuoTemp or any application you can to check your system temperature.

If the system is above 80c than it should be the cause.

Another 2 tools that can helps are:

- Apple Hardware Test DVD (the first install DVD arrived with the macbook)

Press "D" during boot if I remember. run the extended test which check the ram further...

- Memtest - Sadly the boot version won't bootcamp but the OS X ported app works.

http://www.memtestosx.org/

Good luck!

I just thought I better add that I have had a brand new MacBook for a couple of weeks now and I'm assuming that its one of the newest builds, because I have had absolutely no issues.......... yet.......... well other than Front Row randomly erasing itself and then not letting me install it again........... it not believing that it has an IR receiver.......... and one completely random hang (not shut down)

Other than that no issues :P