Software Piracy

Swad

287 posts in this topic

@ Ferret-Simpson, you ever heard of the Enter key?

Oh, how witty you are. Insanelymac took my post, chewed, swallowed and regurgitated it into what you see. Stupid PHPBB. So bite me. Not my fault. I had it very nicely readable.

I find pirating software a lot of fun and quite exhilarating. In recent months i have added ILife,Toast Titanium,Visual Hub,Photoshop Elements, and others that i procurred from torrent sites for free. I have all theserunning perfectly on my OS X 10.4.9 which of course is illegal on my Hackinstosh. I would NEVER have bought any of this software , so the fabricators of it have lost no money from me.

How do you find it exhilarating? You're downloading stuff off the internet - it's not challenging, there's essentially zero chance of being caught and there's no challenge in installing things like iLife.

Installing OSX86 is in itself exhilarating because of the modifications required. You're searching plists, making tweaks here and there, touching things up with HEX editors and you never know if somethings going to crash your system or not. It's hacker fun, it's cracker fun, and it's good training.

If you would never have bought the software - why not? You use them after all! Is it because of the price? Because you've picked out all the budget versions of the software to duplicate. Are you a hardcore software anarchist? Or is it just the thrill of dipping your hand into the criminal cookie jar?

>> The huge amount of money that's been thrown away in Iraq certainly dwarfs any "piracy" I'm guilty of.

While I appreciate your sentiment, this is basically completely off topic. Whether the "War on Terror" was a correct action or not is probably a more contentious topic than this one, and far more likely to develop into a flamewar. Keeping these two debates (rightfully) separate in this instance would be a wise move for the continued progression of this discussion. After all, this is a forum and there ARE "trolls" around.

The controversial nature of the Iraq/military industrial complex rape of America doesn't make it irrelevant. The fact that 40% of the financial wealth is owned by 1% of the population, both in the USA and globally, is an example of piracy on a staggering level. No one deserves to have a billion dollars while other people work just as hard or harder and earn far less. It is impossible for a human being to be that much more productive. In fact, many of the wealthy hardly work at all.

Tiger is still an operating system, and the community will continue to produce updates and new apps as they have for Panther.

Like Java? Apple has a history of neglecting to update things like that, of withholding basic stuff in order to force people to buy the latest version of OS X. Plus, the community often quickly abandons the orphaned OS in favor of the latest. Leopard has built-in Japanese dictionaries and support for the 3rd party CEDICT Chinese dictionary that includes pronounciation. We have a contract with Apple for operating system upgrades and yet if we want to use Leopard, we have to throw away so many computers.

However, there is nothing to stop you from adding a Mini-ITX board and a replacement display, or with some hacking, re-use the old display.

There is plenty stopping me. We have two computer classrooms with over 70 of those machines. Do you think I can convince the university to buy all those parts and do you think I have the time or ability to hack 70 machines? Think of how many of those machines are deployed at just this university. It's waste on a colossal scale. When our university switched to Exchange for e-mail and calendering, the requirement of Entourage alone made these machines obsolete because the program is so inefficient, and now that Leopard's Mail can support an Entourage account, we're left in the cold. Our lab doesn't need e-mail, but we need the ability for the machines' screens to power down, which they won't do in Leopard.

You make this sound as if it's the sole reason for the change.

Planned obsolescence is not a new concept, but our culture is increasingly becoming disposable. There's always the next great incompatible revision waiting - the next carrot on a stick. The fundamental problem is capitalism itself. It's based on screwing people over in order to hoard resources.

Legacy support hurts the efficiency of new software/hardware.

We have special language learning Hypercard stacks and there is nothing on the market that competes with them. Emulation is a solution for legacy software and it's not that difficult to get working, if a company bothers to do so.

Modular operating systems aren't necessarily burdened by legacy code. They simply don't switch the legacy stuff on until it's needed. It's always faster to do less. We could go back to System 6 on a Mac SE, look at how fast it boots, and pronounce it superior to current systems.

Something is legacy only if its function is duplicated by a more recent addition to a system, or if its function is truly no longer needed.

240-watt PowerMac is a far weaker system performance-wise than a 110-Watt Mac Mini.

The Mini's power savings comes primarily from its wimpy laptop hard drive, integrated video, and lack of expandability.

The controversial nature of the Iraq/military industrial complex rape of America doesn't make it irrelevant. The fact that 40% of the financial wealth is owned by 1% of the population, both in the USA and globally, is an example of piracy on a staggering level. No one deserves to have a billion dollars while other people work just as hard or harder and earn far less. It is impossible for a human being to be that much more productive. In fact, many of the wealthy hardly work at all.Like Java? Apple has a history of neglecting to update things like that, of withholding basic stuff in order to force people to buy the latest version of OS X. Plus, the community often quickly abandons the orphaned OS in favor of the latest. Leopard has built-in Japanese dictionaries and support for the 3rd party CEDICT Chinese dictionary that includes pronounciation. We have a contract with Apple for operating system upgrades and yet if we want to use Leopard, we have to throw away so many computers.There is plenty stopping me. We have two computer classrooms with over 70 of those machines. Do you think I can convince the university to buy all those parts and do you think I have the time or ability to hack 70 machines? Think of how many of those machines are deployed at just this university. It's waste on a colossal scale. When our university switched to Exchange for e-mail and calendering, the requirement of Entourage alone made these machines obsolete because the program is so inefficient, and now that Leopard's Mail can support an Entourage account, we're left in the cold. Our lab doesn't need e-mail, but we need the ability for the machines' screens to power down, which they won't do in Leopard.Planned obsolescence is not a new concept, but our culture is increasingly becoming disposable. There's always the next great incompatible revision waiting - the next carrot on a stick. The fundamental problem is capitalism itself. It's based on screwing people over in order to hoard resources.We have special language learning Hypercard stacks and there is nothing on the market that competes with them. Emulation is a solution for legacy software and it's not that difficult to get working, if a company bothers to do so.Modular operating systems aren't necessarily burdened by legacy code. They simply don't switch the legacy stuff on until it's needed. It's always faster to do less. We could go back to System 6 on a Mac SE, look at how fast it boots, and pronounce it superior to current systems.Something is legacy only if its function is duplicated by a more recent addition to a system, or if its function is truly no longer needed.The Mini's power savings comes primarily from its wimpy laptop hard drive, integrated video, and lack of expandability.

>>We have two computer classrooms with over 70 of those machines. Do you think I can convince the university to buy all those parts and do you think I have the time or ability to hack 70 machines?

And would you if it was to replace half the insides to standard components? Offering an official mass-upgrade service is not cost effective for ANY company to do. Any upgrade would be a self install kit and you would suffer similar financial and technical difficulty.

>> Modular operating systems aren't necessarily burdened by legacy code. They simply don't switch the legacy stuff on until it's needed. It's always faster to do less. We could go back to System 6

>> on a Mac SE, look at how fast it boots, and pronounce it superior to current systems.

I regularly do. With efficient coding, a P3 could do everything a modern computer needs. And if they're not burdened by legacy code, explain Windows?

>> is an example of piracy on a staggering level

No, It's an example of corruption and American conservative culture. It still sucks but check your definitions. Has little to do with software piracy.

>> The controversial nature of the Iraq/military industrial complex rape of America doesn't make it irrelevant.

Not irrelevant, just off topic. If a discussion can successfully continue it needs to remain narrow focused. At the moment you're turning a discussion on SOFTWARE PIRACY into one on PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE. See how those two phrases are spelled differently? It's because they're not the same thing. My biggest peeve with online discussion is the way discussions change their focus entirely. SOFTWARE PIRACY. Not environmental waste, not poverty. If you want to discuss those, START A NEW TOPIC. the people who want to discuss it can talk about it with you there, and I can happily continue to discuss SOFTWARE PIRACY here.

In fact, for the record, one of my teachers still uses Powerbooks and Panther because it has features that he prefers over Tiger and Leopard.

Yeah, PHPBB is pretty stupid. Good thing we use IPB. :D

You're funnier than the other guy, I'll give you that. Any way you can fix the post mangling problem?

And would you if it was to replace half the insides to standard components? Offering an official mass-upgrade service is not cost effective for ANY company to do. Any upgrade would be a self install kit and you would suffer similar financial and technical difficulty.

If an upgrade kit were made available I would do it, if the price were reasonable. We also have a contract with a servicing center and in a world where good machines like flat panel iMacs aren't designed to be thrown into the trash before their time, such a center would probably do such work. It IS much more efficient to use existing equipment if it's fully functional than it is to throw it into a landfill. Those flat panel iMacs in our lab have good LCD panels, good keyboards, good mice, good cases/steel arms, good ports, etc. The disposable mentality dictates that landfills and ecological disaster are generally out of sight and out of mind and that corporate profits and individuals laziness are more important than recycling and upgrading.

finitions. Has little to do with software piracy.

I didn't say software piracy, did I? I am putting this issue into perspective.

If a discussion can successfully continue it needs to remain narrow focused.

That's your opinion.

If an upgrade kit were made available I would do it, if the price were reasonable. We also have a contract with a servicing center and in a world where good machines like flat panel iMacs aren't designed to be thrown into the trash before their time, such a center would probably do such work. It IS much more efficient to use existing equipment if it's fully functional than it is to throw it into a landfill. Those flat panel iMacs in our lab have good LCD panels, good keyboards, good mice, good cases/steel arms, good ports, etc. The disposable mentality dictates that landfills and ecological disaster are generally out of sight and out of mind and that corporate profits and individuals laziness are more important than recycling and upgrading.

>> I didn't say software piracy, did I? I am putting this issue into perspective.

Funny, I'm sure that's what it says at the top of the page, you know - where it normally says the name of the thread.

But it's STILL not piracy. Call that a typo on my part - I was pretty tired by that point. Seriously. Read the Oxford definition of Piracy.

>> That's your opinion.

Another mistake. I meant to convey instead of

>> If a discussion can successfully continue it needs to remain narrow focused.

"If a discussion on any particular topic can successfully continue it needs to remain narrow focused."

If you disagree with this "opinion" then I'll start a poll and topic ON IT, and we can discuss it there.

>> If an upgrade kit were made available I would do it, if the price were reasonable. We also have a contract with a servicing center and in a world where good machines like flat panel iMacs aren't designed to be thrown into the trash before their time, such a center would probably do such work. It IS much more efficient to use existing equipment if it's fully functional than it is to throw it into a landfill. Those flat panel iMacs in our lab have good LCD panels, good keyboards, good mice, good cases/steel arms, good ports, etc. The disposable mentality dictates that landfills and ecological disaster are generally out of sight and out of mind and that corporate profits and individuals laziness are more important than recycling and upgrading. <<

Blah Blah Off Topic Blah. You're probably right. I JUST DON'T CARE RIGHT NOW.

PLEASE can we talk about SOFTWARE PIRACY!? I'll EVEN start a new topic about this FOR YOU. You don't have to lift a finger!

EDIT:

And here you go! Have fun in your topic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

look at it this way....

if someone had a macine that could duplicate mac pros in 20 min and all you had to do was pay for electricity, would you do it??

the answer is pretty obvious, so scince someone has it and they are willing to share then lets rip!

• 3 weeks later...

I am a :censored2: when it comes to music and movies. I use torrent and P2P apps to download them. I am shameless.

Not being big on games I don't downlad them I did pay for a few CDs eons ago.

With software I go try to use open source and free software as much as possible. Firefox, GIMP, VLan Player, OpenSuse, VMWare player, eclipse, BitTorrent, and all the Google stuff - I have not found much need to use pirated software. One of those rare occasions where I don't have the option ... well that's why I am on this forum.

I am a total noob to the Mac world. I run VMWare Player on my XP laptop and have Solaris and Linux running through VMware. I was thinking ... why not OS X too. I would also like to try the iPhone SDK once (if??) my OS X is up. :)

Hello board. I'm not sure what category to place this question under but I think this is the most fitting. I just recently (today) went to the local Apple store and picked up a copy of Leopard. Before I go further let me just say I work as a software tester so I am neck deep in our company's IT department. One of my buddies (a sys admin) has been asking me for the last few weeks for my Tiger discs. I told him after lunch I picked up Leopard and he asked if he could burn a copy of the disc so he could install on a PC that he wants to hack. For the most part I'm cool with his request. He's actually hooked me tenfold whenever I have asked (dual monitor video card w/ 2nd monitor, more ram, Vista natively a my partioned drive (although half our home cooked apps don't even work with Vista ;-( )) I told that I want to install it first.

So here's my question, If I install Leopard on my Mac at home, and then give him the disc are there any risks? I know that once I install it on my computer it renders the disc useless on any other Mac but mine but what about other PC's. This guy is (IMO) is pretty crafty and cagey and knows his way around the hardware and software realm if you catch my drift. Also, if he gets it installed, is there a way that Apple can see that it is installed twice and jam me up somehow. I'd hate to turn on my Mac and get have it 'bricked' so to to speak. Should I just let him borrow my Tiger disc or is all of this useless.

I figured this question fits under the Software piracy forum but if not let me know as I just stumbled upon this website oh, (looks at clock) 20 minutes ago. Thanks y'all...

I know that once I install it on my computer it renders the disc useless on any other Mac but mine

What the heck are you talking about? That's a figure of speech, right?

Also, if he gets it installed, is there a way that Apple can see that it is installed twice and jam me up somehow.

No, the disc is not serialized, therefore there is no way to track how many installs came from any particular disc. That's the beauty in Apple, they actually trust you. They shouldn't (given this conversation) but they do.

I'd hate to turn on my Mac and get have it 'bricked' so to to speak. Should I just let him borrow my Tiger disc or is all of this useless.

See above. Since you bought Leopard (which is a full version) you could give away your Tiger disc and you would still be legal. Unless the version of Tiger came with your machine, and then it is configured only for your machine and will not install on other Macs. (This is an Apple-imposed limit though, the disc would actually install on other Macs if it were modified to allow it to do so.)

I figured this question fits under the Software piracy forum but if not let me know as I just stumbled upon this website oh, (looks at clock) 20 minutes ago. Thanks y'all...

Yeah, you're about to pirate Leopard. So definitely the right thread.

John, that's exactly the info I need. Thank you very much. I will apologize up front for my ignorance. Like I said I work with a lot of people who know a lot (or think they know a lot) and to be blunt I just don't how these things work.

I have been told by coworkers (in the past few weeks) that

- Once you intstall Leopard it sends a license number or code that's imbedded in the code (carrying with it the full hardware profile of the computer) back to Apple after leopard finishes installing and registers the copy. And thus, if I poped out my single user copy of Leopard from iMac and went to my Mac Pro, the computer won't allow install because Apple will already have my record on file for use of this particuliar copy. That's why I called the disc useless to other comouters after installing. The rest was more or less speculation on my part whether or not Apple could do anything to me if they do track lisenses to do vindictive sh*t to whomever they think has a pirated copy.

Per above you can confirm this is a bunch of hoo-ha?

Per above you can confirm this is a bunch of hoo-ha?

It's hoo-ha of the humorous ha-ha variety.

None of that is true. The only apps that track serialization are pro apps like Logic, Final Cut, Aperture, and iWork. Even then, you can choose not to register them, and even then, unless Apple sees hundreds [EDIT: maybe dozens] of them registering they would not bother investigating it. Now, those serialized apps do search the local network (like your office network, not the internet) for duplicates and will not launch if they sense another copy with that same serial number on the local network.

• 1 month later...

Lets stop all this Histrionic talk of STEALING. Thats a child's mentality.

To steal is to criminally deprive some one of their property. Piracy is COPYING not STEALING. That doesn't make it legal, but more ethical. When you take a phograph of someone you are you are not stealing their soul.

Its everyone personal decision how to behave. It's a very complicated and murky subject, much more than many people will admit.

I am much more familiar with these issues in the music industry. Exactly the same right v wrong arguement is given there, but in reality it is far from black&white.

3 examples:

1) I have an extensive LP collection. As far as the music industry is concerned I only have the rights to use that music in LP form from that specific disc. I cannot accept that, I refuse to pay again for the rights for a remastered version of the original recording that I already own. Similarly if my LP becomes damaged I should be entitled to a discounted replacement copy as I have already paid for the rights.

2) I have always bought Sony CD-R Audio blanks, these have a pre-arranged artist rights payment paid in full at the time of purchase. So how can it be illegal to burn a new music CD from it when I have already paid?

3) I keep all my CD's in the garage. If I stream it over the internet or download an MP3 of it because I cant be bothered to root through the garage how is that illegal, I have already paid in full for the rights.

Again from the music industry, it is often argued that illegal downloads take away profits from aspiring artists and music companies. Research has shown this to be largely untrue, the people who download for free are different people from the ones who buy. That is -they will never pay for a copy under any circumstances. So by dowloading illegaly all they are doing is increasing the profile of the band involved.

This is very relevant to osx86. I do not beleive in that Apple are bothered in any way by it, so long as it is not on a commercial basis (read Open Computer), or they would have moved against it. osx86 is increasing the size of the OSX market. In the words of another poster's thread it is a "gateway drug" to osx for a lot of people. Most people do not have the patience or inclination to stick with osx86. They use it as a way to try osx without shelling out in full. Thats why I tried it.

my exact words were "I am not going to fork over $800 just to see whether I like it or not". I do like it, now I want to buy a real mac.

Congratulations Mr.Jobs, you have another customer & some more money -without any effort reqd.

As I have said to a lot of bands who were whining: "we will never get established/make any money now our recording is avialable on the interent for free!" That is exacltly how you DO make money and get established. Unless you can sign a deal with a big mover&shaker to establish your profile for you.

Incidentally -to those who are worried about the registration during install issue, have you tried switching off your router whilst you install? thats what I did -it worked

Lets stop all this Histrionic talk of STEALING. Thats a child's mentality.

To steal is to criminally deprive some one of their property. Piracy is COPYING not STEALING. That doesn't make it legal, but more ethical. When you take a phograph of someone you are you are not stealing their soul.

Its everyone personal decision how to behave.

What the hell are you talking about? Personal decision to decide how to behave? No, it's illegal. Period. You may disagree, you may even find it unconstitutional. But the fact remains that for the time being, it's illegal as hell. You may think seat belt laws are unconstitutional (and many people do) but you can't just ignore those laws of you will get tickets/arrested for violating them. You work to change laws that you find wrong, you don't just ignore them. That only makes you a criminal with an opinion.

I am much more familiar with these issues in the music industry. Exactly the same right v wrong arguement is given there, but in reality it is far from black&white.

3 examples:

1) I have an extensive LP collection. As far as the music industry is concerned I only have the rights to use that music in LP form from that specific disc. I cannot accept that, I refuse to pay again for the rights for a remastered version of the original recording that I already own. Similarly if my LP becomes damaged I should be entitled to a discounted replacement copy as I have already paid for the rights.

2) I have always bought Sony CD-R Audio blanks, these have a pre-arranged artist rights payment paid in full at the time of purchase. So how can it be illegal to burn a new music CD from it when I have already paid?

3) I keep all my CD's in the garage. If I stream it over the internet or download an MP3 of it because I cant be bothered to root through the garage how is that illegal, I have already paid in full for the rights.

Again from the music industry, it is often argued that illegal downloads take away profits from aspiring artists and music companies. Research has shown this to be largely untrue, the people who download for free are different people from the ones who buy. That is -they will never pay for a copy under any circumstances. So by dowloading illegaly all they are doing is increasing the profile of the band involved.

I've met a lot of people brainwashed by the RIAA, but rarely have I met someone so brainwashed in the other direction. Blank CD-s cost what? $0.01 each? You really think you are contributing a portion of that to an artist? If you actually met Steven Tyler in person would you have the balls to tell him that instead of buying his album for $12.95 at Walmart you just copied it and gave him a portion of the $0.01 you paid for the disc? How embarrassing.

CD sales fall more each year. Hell, I haven't bought a CD in years. I used to buy them all the time. So each year that music is easier to get online is another year that less people will buy CDs. Even my dad has moved to Limewire on his PC. The music industry, as stupid as it may act at times, is absolutely bleeding money due to piracy and it scares the {censored} out of them. They will probably fade as more digital-friendly distribution systems rise, hopefully with more money involved for artists. We'll see. The current system is far from perfect, but it's still the best system for the artists right now.

As I have said to a lot of bands who were whining: "we will never get established/make any money now our recording is avialable on the interent for free!" That is exacltly how you DO make money and get established. Unless you can sign a deal with a big mover&shaker to establish your profile for you.

No, the argument is that they won't sell any CDs if the music is so easy to get for free. And it's true.

Incidentally -to those who are worried about the registration during install issue, have you tried switching off your router whilst you install? thats what I did -it worked

I do this all the time on real Macs, you just press Cmd Q and it asks if you want to skip registration. It works with the Kalyway install for sure, cause I did it there too.

Sorry you didnt like my post

I think saying I am brainwashed is a little strong, howso?. I have read your posts before johnthegeek and you generaly make good points.

I have worked in the music industry quite a lot, although I have never met Steve Tyler, I have put exactly this point to various Artists. None has reacted as strongly as you.

In my experience some people like to buy CD's and some dont, they rarely overlap.

The Sony CD-R Audio blanks I mentioned cost $2, that $1.99 over the $0.01 you mention, it says on the cover that this a pre-payment of royalties. The CD's are encoded with an encrypted tag to verify this, Professional quality CD-R audio live recording equipment will not function without this tag (or payment).

I am all for freedom of choice, some will choose to break the law. I have no illusions that piracy is illegal, I clearly stated this in my post.

I think thats it is a two way street, the more unrealistically high priced a piece of software or music is, the more people will try to get it for free.

Unlike you johnthegeek I am not trying to tell people what to think. What I am trying to convey is that it is a complex situation & people need to think for themseves. I have given the matter a great deal of thought and am rock solid on where I stand.

I have worked in the music industry but If I thought like you I wouldn't have got some of that work. If I am flat broke & trying to get work sometimes I am expected to listen to 1-200 cd's a month. That would be impossible for me at $10 a cd sometimes. I would never distribute or burn them to a cd, im just listening to try to get work.

I will never understand the strength of feeling that people outside the industry feel about this. Where does it come from?

I have never met a person who works in the industry who doesn't at least empathize with my point of view, even if they don't agree with it.

I agree with semtex

personal use: possibly justifiable but illegal

comercial use: bad, unjustifiable

Sorry you didnt like my post

I think saying I am brainwashed is a little strong, howso?

Ok, sorry about that. I agree, using the word brainwashed was over the top. But still, how many pirateers are buying more expensive Sony Audio CD-Rs when the cheep CD-Rs work just fine in their home stereos? Or without discs at all? Some of us just play it digitally. That sounds like a good compromise on paper, but in actuality it's not going to save the record companies. (But again, that may not be such a bad thing if new distribution methods come along that help the artists more than the RI does.)

I think we agree on many more points than we think, and don't automatically presume that I'm "outside of the industry" either. I work with a studio that produces stock music for television and advertising. We're seeing other issues erode the market as well, like why pay for a quality commercial soundtrack when your nephew has Garageband and knows a few chords. I think we hear that about once a month anymore. All of music is changing, and it's getting harder to make money at it. For me it's not so bad because it's a side job, my primary job is in Higher Ed.

I recently got burned by the RIAA for downloading a single song. I think that's why I'm so cranky. I don't think it's so easy as "go ahead and do it at your own risk" anymore. They are making the risks a bit harder for average people to swallow.

:D

Ok, sorry about that. I agree, using the word brainwashed was over the top. But still, how many pirateers are buying more expensive Sony Audio CD-Rs when the cheep CD-Rs work just fine in their home stereos? Or without discs at all? Some of us just play it digitally. That sounds like a good compromise on paper, but in actuality it's not going to save the record companies. (But again, that may not be such a bad thing if new distribution methods come along that help the artists more than the RI does.)

I think we agree on many more points than we think, and don't automatically presume that I'm "outside of the industry" either. I work with a studio that produces stock music for television and advertising. We're seeing other issues erode the market as well, like why pay for a quality commercial soundtrack when your nephew has Garageband and knows a few chords. I think we hear that about once a month anymore. All of music is changing, and it's getting harder to make money at it. For me it's not so bad because it's a side job, my primary job is in Higher Ed.

I recently got burned by the RIAA for downloading a single song. I think that's why I'm so cranky. I don't think it's so easy as "go ahead and do it at your own risk" anymore. They are making the risks a bit harder for average people to swallow.

wow bad luck john

like I say I have read quite a few of your posts, on the whole you come across as quite well, educated and helpfull.

Thats why I was so surprised at the strength of your reaction.

Also thats my biggest online fear, with the RIAA you cant help to defend yourself, it doesnt matter how right you are, if you are called to court you are guilty. lucky if they can even be bothered to use your real name.

One of the things I was trying to suggest is that people should maybe buy these royaty paid CD's. not a solution but a good compromise. its not going to get you aquitted, but it might be some help.

dinner is burning gotta go :D

I only pirate things I lose. Lost my assassins creed disc pirated a new one. Lost first season of simpsons got the ISO. Probably shouldn't do it because I lost them in the first place but I don't want to pay for something I already payed a good amount of money for. P.S. Only two things I have pirated were those

I'm not gonna wade through 8 pages, but I find this amusing: Apple sells the OS X "Family Pack" which is five OS X licenses. They sell this at a premium over the standard single license version. It sells exceptionally well, despite OS X having absolutely no license control mechanisms. In other words, there's no reason at all to buy it except out of faith.