[HowTo] Building an overclocked Core2Duo box for OSx86.

bofors

278 posts in this topic

if i leave my SPD timings to auto it will boot easily at FSB 420mhz, but if i try to run it at spec (4/4/4/12) or even 5/5/5/15 while still running at 800mhz it wont even POST.

Ussually when you overclock the FSB, the actually RAM frequency increases proportionally. So, if you have it set at 800 MHz and then raise the FSB by 50%, your RAM will actually be 1200 MHz, which is probably why it is failing.

Generally overclockers set a 1:1 FSB to RAM speed ratio, so the memory controller (Northbridge) will not have to do any work to balance (or divide) the load.

I am exactly sure what the names of BIOS settings are in the Asus P5W but I think you want to set your RAM at 533 (not 800) and use the 1066 (aka 266) "strap" (base FSB frequency). Then when you overclock the FSB to say 420 or so, you RAM will be 840 (and you can probably run it at 4-4-4-12).

EDIT: This is essentially what Mdg said.

xnu isnt a micro kernel.

Yes, that why I describe it as a "microkernel-like" architecture. Xnu is not a true a micro-kernel, but certainly is not monolithic either. It is a hybird which uses elements of both designs.

There is an interesting discussion going on at ArsTechnica about the future of Xnu which touches on some of these issues: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums.../m/197004852831

However, I want to promote the BadAxe2 as a "fully" OS X compatible motherboard and sooner or later I will be needing it to support audio, so I am definitely interested in working on a solution to this problem. I have yet to deal with these types of audio support issues on OS X before, but my impression is that the community knows how to fix them.

So, I think we need to try contacting some people and ask for advice. Kiko might be able to help (as he got the BadAxe1's audio working), as well as James2mart in the Sigmatel 9200 forum ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=81 ) and I think Munky has some experience here too.

I have started thread in the drivers sections for this topic here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37204

I will probably be talking to some of the people I listed above about ideas on to get the BadAxe2 audio supported soon too.

I really doubt this is going to be very difficult either, so I might have it done it few days.

I have started thread in the drivers sections for this topic here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37204

I will probably be talking to some of the people I listed above about ideas on to get the BadAxe2 audio supported soon too.

I really doubt this is going to be very difficult either, so I might have it done it few days.

:)

Waitig with baded breath

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I just read through the thread and now while I’m waiting for my brain to catch up, let me ask a few questions just to make sure I understand all this...

Your first system went something like this:

Bad Axe 1

E6300

2 x 1GB - Corsair ValueSelect DDR-667

Etc, etc.

With this configuration everything worked perfectly (Audio, LAN, USB, ect), correct?

And when you added 2 additional sticks of 1GB memory (for a total of 4) you were able to boot and continue to overclock but at a lower speed? Is that correct? What exactly were the drawbacks of having 4 memory sticks vs 2?

Then for your next system(s) you chose:

Bad Axe 2

Xeon 3060

2 x 1GB - PC2-8000 CAS 5 Crucial Ballistix

And with the Xeon you find increased stability, but the Bad Axe 2 (as of yet) doesn’t have working audio.

However, the benefit of the Bad Axe 2 is that it has more overclocking options. Are there any other major benefits to the Bad Axe 2?

Was there any specific reason you chose the Crucial Ballistix over additional Corsair memory? Was it just stability, did you test the corsair – find problems?

Its a great thread! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Maybe I should take my stupid GA-965P-DQ6 back and get the Bad Axe 2...

But I really like my overclock...

I'm running 429x7 on stock cooling on this thing... and its still got room to go.

Think I'll get anywhere near that on a Bad Axe 2 or will I have to get a new processor as well?

I'm really annoyed that the only OS that I can run at this time is Windows... Insane overclocks don't do {censored} if you have to use a {censored} OS on the system that gets them................

Amazing. Simply amazing.

I HATE that stupid BIOS clear jumper...

That said, after a lot of reading, I'm at 400x7 running 266/533 for 1:1 timing 800 for my DDR2.

I'm going to try for 429x7 running 266/533 tomorrow so I can hopefully get 3GHz 1:1

Very glad I found this thread because I was ready to toss my entire system out the window when I had the DQ6 and was trying to get anything but Windows to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Posted this elsewhere but when I saw this thread I figured this was a much better place for it... I hope it helps future builders...

Dave

---------

Well I dunno if this will help but....

I just built a badaxe2 based system a few weeks ago...

Hardware:

Case: Antec P150

Power: Came w/Case (modular power 450W I think)

Mobo: BadAxe 2

CPU: E6300

Mem: 2GB Corsair DDR800 (not the C4 but the next 'step down')

Storage: 2x 7200.10 Seagate 320GB (SATA)

Video: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT

Cooler: Stock (came with CPU)

Optical: SH-S182D (Samsung?? Toshiba??) 20X DVD Burner (IDE)

All before dinner I did the following:

- Built the box

- Upgraded BIOS to latest version

Partition #1 Drive #1

- Installed OS X and related patches to get things up to latest 10.4.8

- Installed drivers / patches for (accelerated) video and audio

Partition #2 Drive #1

- Installed Windows XP Pro

- Installed latest drivers / patches for mobo and video

- Installed various software packages

Partition #3 Drive #1

- Installed Ubuntu Linux

- Installed latest drivers for video

- Installed various updates and software

I spent saturday morning moving my 'OS X' work (apps, settings, preferences, etc) from my current Mac to this new box.....

Gotta tell you this was one (fairly) painless process...

Things that helped:

- Bootable 10.4.7 JAS Install DVD

- USB Thumb drive (to get files from one machine to another)

- Additional working system (w/display) to aid me in getting drivers and patches and such...

- An additional free port on my network switch

- An extra ethernet cable (known to be working)

And most of all this forum and its members....

While it might be difficult to find out exactly what software is current and supported for each specific subsystem (audio/video/kernel/etc) once you connected all the dots its fairly painless.

For the badaxe2 here are the steps I took to get things working....

- Obtain 10.4.7 JAS DVD

| Link: Look to P2P or Usenet (can't help any more than that)

| Burn to DVD at an average speed (don't be in a rush, let it verify the burn)

- Obtain "super-easy kernel Installer created by Prasys" (link below)

| Link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33039

| Put the 'super-easy kernel installer...' on to the thumb drive (or burn to cd)

- Boot with JAS DVD

- Go into disk utility (from the utilities menu)

| For just OS X - Partition the drive in AT LEAST 2 partitions (with one being about 10GB - for reasons explained below)

| For OS X and Windows - Perhaps 3 or 4 partitions with 2 of them being about 10GB each. (or use 2 or more drives)

| For OS X / Linux & Windows Perhaps 6 partitions with 3 of them being about 10GB each. (or use 2 or more drives)

| Quit disk utility

- Proceed with OS X 10.4.7 install

| Make sure you click on 'OPTIONAL INSTALL' and check off the correct boxes

| I think I only checked one of them - the top one IIRC...

| REBOOT

- Create account

- Insert thumb-drive (or cd)

| Copy 'scriptv3.command' (or whatever its called) from thumb drive or CD to your desktop

| DO NOT CLICK ON IT YET

- Run software update and install EVERYTHING

| DO NOT REBOOT!! DO NOT REBOOT!!

- Now you should double click on the "scriptv3.command" (or whatever its called)

| the latest PATCHED kernel should now be installed....

| Reboot

| Cross fingers / hold breath / etc...

If the force is with you... Mac OS X 10.4.8 should now be booting and present you with a login screen!

===========================================

This is why I said you might want to make SEVERAL partitions...

===========================================

-

- Before going any further you might want to clone this WORKING installed to ANOTHER PARTITION with something like CCC (carbon-copy-cloner)

- or some other utility (search MacUpdate or VersionTracker).

-

- You never know when having an EMERGENCY (working) boot drive will come in handy...

-

Now you can move forward with getting the accelerated video fixes installed and then the audio fixes and then move on with Linux (I used Ubuntu) and/or Windows...

Hope this helps!

Dave

Thats a great write up. Do you find your system stable, apps not crashing etc?

Rock solid knock wood (or reasonable facsimile thereof)!!

As for some other things people have PM'd me about...

SATA: I can't speak for the 'other 4' (since I never tested them) but all the black ports (first 4?) are working fine...

Audio: at present I only have 2.1 sound so I can't speak for anything else as of yet...

Speed: Speed is really nice - I've not yet jumped into the over-clock game (wanna get a better cooler first)

Graphics: Really great... No surprises (not a huge gamer but if I were I'd think about a more expensive card)

Let's see... I think that about covers it...

Oh lemme run XBench

E6300 (not over-clocked and not running Disk Test)

Results 145.65

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type MAXTOR STM3320620AS

CPU Test 96.88

GCD Loop 219.50 11.57 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 105.89 2.52 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 78.05 2.57 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 69.07 12.03 Mops/sec

Thread Test 186.31

Computation 170.21 3.45 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 205.77 8.85 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 144.99

System 132.29

Allocate 108.69 399.16 Kalloc/sec

Fill 151.24 7353.50 MB/sec

Copy 145.67 3008.79 MB/sec

Stream 160.38

Copy 151.54 3129.93 MB/sec

Scale 151.31 3125.92 MB/sec

Add 172.36 3671.70 MB/sec

Triad 168.60 3606.84 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 124.76

Line 113.75 7.57 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 143.15 42.74 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 137.37 11.20 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 127.05 3.20 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 109.29 6.84 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 133.91

Spinning Squares 133.91 169.88 frames/sec

User Interface Test 319.86

Elements 319.86 1.47 Krefresh/sec

Sure seems mighty respectable to me.... Especially for the price I put this baby together for.... About $750 (I had a 22" LCD already)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Forget the 945 if you plan to O/C. It is not built for the voltage needed.

945 on Conroe will severely limit you. It is basically a minimal board for using it. If you just want to run a Conroe, fine, but do not expect much more.

I would recomend a 975 setup if you plan on overclocking and using OSX. 965 may be better but the IDE system is flakey (since it is not built in, but rather added) and a lot of unknowns for OSX (883 sound, IDE...). Networking and SATA seem to work fine on the 965 with OSX.

Try not to skimp on boards when you overclock, they often are what will hold you back, and on OSX, you really can't anyhow since only certain thinsg will run.

It all depends on what our individual goals are. I wanted a performance boost with bang for the buck while keeping an eye towards being environmentally friendly. High performance is a mixed blessing if a machine is costly and an energy pig.

Choosing a AS Rock Conroe 945G Conroe DVI motherboard ($75) with an E6300 Core 2 Duo ($185) overclocked from 1.86 to 2.25 GHz has worked well for a general purpose machine that is also used for HDTV viewing (Eye TV Hybrid), video recompression (Visual Hub), and as a PVR. The onboard GMA950 graphics work great for HDTV and having both VGA and DVI outputs is handy. It's not suited for high-end gaming without adding a good graphics card, but in my case that was something to avoid to save energy. With the memory speed raised in step with the base clock going from 266 to 320 MHz, that puts the memory at near (640) 667 Mhz rate, instead of the stock 533. I got 1.8 volt DDR2 667 memory so it runs great without turning up the voltage, and is cool with no heatsink. Memory performance is very good in dual-channel mode (two DIMMs).

Including the TV tuner, but not monitor, the system only uses 93 Watts (actually measured it) with the CPU cores maxed out.

BOINC benchmark (default client, per core)

1798 MIPS floating point

4780 MPIS integer

XBench 1.3 disk excluded, 174.70, OpenMark 672 FPS

Financial summary: Using a 945 based motherboard over a 975x that could overclock higher saved $200. Using the stock CPU cooler saved about $50. Avoiding the need of a video card saved $85++. Since it runs pretty much 24/7 as a PVR, doing bittorrent, and running BOINC etc, the 100 Watts or so saved (by not clocking higher and using a gaming GPU) will save about $360 over three years (based on $1/month for every 10 Watts continuous which is about what added power costs when going over baseline usage). Total savings = $695 (That's more than the cost of the whole system!)

A 975x pushed to handling a 400Mhz base clock (1600 MHz fsb) would have given an added 20% overclock, but is it really worth effectively doubling what the hardware cost (over 3 years) to have it?

I looked at 965 based boards, but by using something later than the ICH7 interface chip or by using certain supplemental chips with those, most of those boards have quite a few more compatibility headaches for both OS X and Linux.

I figure a short time down the road I'll be able to build another machine, with a Intel part based on a the 45 nm process, getting even more performance than aggressive overclocking could give now while still giving me and the environment the advantages of saving energy.

Since a hackintosh is likely to have a shorter compatible-with-latest-OS lifetime, it may make sense to require that the cost be kept to levels justifiable over a shorter lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

bofors please give me advice

:)

Have built an experimental hackintosh

ASUS A8V-VM

AMD 64 x2 , Etc Lovely working

Found your How to build… fantastic

Decided to build a real HACKINTOSH to work with

I’m photographer that king that work with huge files.. very big from 137 to 482MB running PHOTOSHOP.

Actually working with Win 2003 Server 64bit with 4gb ram and RAID 0 4 HDD,s.

After 15 mins working my system starts slowing down.

Solution after 1 hour working “reboot” and start again… boring

Real Mackintosh with 8GB RAM is out of my budget So …

After reading your How to build… I ordered an Intel D975 XBX2 KR

Planning to buy 4 DDR2 667 2GB each branded TwinMOS (the only 2GB available in my country)

Ordered coolers, power supply, etc., same are like yours.

Graphics I have an ASUS 7600 GS (plane to use it) but I’m considering to buy MSI RADEON X1950PRO 512MB DDR3 PCI-E TVOUT 2XDVI (do not found information if this one works) any suggestion? Want a good one compatible? Please tell me what you think about that.

Finally and the most important to me

CPU

Photoshop uses intensely CPU as well as memory and scratch Raid

Found that CPU AMD Athalon x2 4800+ is good but not enough

For bad axe2 would like the new QUAD but I’m not sure if it is compatible

INTEL Core2 QUAD CORE QX6700 2.66Ghz FSB 1066 8MB CACHE € 999,90

Others options are:

Intel CORE 2 EXTREME X6800 2.93GHZ FSB1066 4MB CACHE € 1.044,90

Intel CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHZ FSB1066 4MB CACHE € 325,00

Can you help me?

Can I use bad axe2 with QX6700 Quad and take advantage of is power with JaS 10.4.8 + Ppf1 ? Or should I use one of the other 2 options?

Please help me choose CPU and give me advice on Graphics Display.

Before quite let me Thank You honestly for your guide [How to …]

with out it I and others was blinder.

Carlos Pombo

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bofors, I recently built a hackint0sh. I now recommend the Asus P5K-Deluxe as one of the most compatible hack mobos and even made a bash script to correct all nonworking devices.

Even WIFI works :hammer:. Plus its an amazing overclocker and uses the P35 Chipset with the new memory controller.

• 1 month later...

can't get my bad axe 2 working, i have the SATA set to AHCI and after install it doesn't boot to mac os. I'm also connected to the black sata ports on the board. I don't get what is going on? Anyone have any idea please help, its greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is still following this thread...

I have finally upgraded to Leopard (10.5) with iATKOS v 1.0 using EFI emulation.

Notes:

(1) iATKOS installation includes at least one extra step, manual installation of the bootloader by running the "Darwin Boot" script, so make sure you follow the instructions or you will end up with the "blinking cursor" problem.

(2) Apparently, one must use something like Gparted Live to set the "boot" flag on iATKOS partition or you will also end up with the "blinking cursor" problem.

(3) On Bad Axe 1, the version of AppleHDA by Kiko posted in this thread still works for stereo output in Leopard. I have yet to mess with AppleHDA or Leopard on Bad Axe 2.

Hi bofors,

would you suggest using iatkos or did you try kalyway's leopard before?

I got both dvds and I am not quite sure which one to use.

I have not tried Kalyway's, but I am sure it works fine. The only issue is that Kalyway includes OS X modifications and applications that you might not want.

Either way, I recommend using the EFI install option as that should allow us to use the regular 10.5.2+ upgrade from Apple.

(2) Apparently, one must use something like Gparted Live to set the "boot" flag on iATKOS partition or you will also end up with the "blinking cursor" problem.

I suggest Parted Magic instead. It is a lot better at configuring X and it has more tools:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=partedmagic

(3)I have yet to mess with AppleHDA or Leopard on Bad Axe 2.

My how-to still works fine:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=60295&hl=

• 2 weeks later...

bofors i have a bad axe 1 that i can't seem to get the audio or network to work? you seem to make a reference to the AppleHDA kext by Kiko, do you have a link or page for that? Also any luck on the ethernet? Your thread has been real cool to sort thru. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
bofors i have a bad axe 1 that i can't seem to get the audio or network to work? you seem to make a reference to the AppleHDA kext by Kiko, do you have a link or page for that? Also any luck on the ethernet? Your thread has been real cool to sort thru. Thanks.

See if this thread helps:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=47196&hl=0