nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

Are you still suffering from the AppleNforceAta found 0 units twice problem at end of boot slowing your boot time? I have created a fix for this let me know if you would like me to post it.

I was never able to solve this problem and the other installation I did, I was never able to solve the problem I had with the system randomly freezing. I haven't had much time to work on it recently so I do not really know what is causing it to freeze.

If you could provide a solution to the AppleNForceATA found 0 units and never booting into the installation i'd appreciate it. Would give me something else to try and see if it was just the installation method I was using that is causing the system to freeze.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

i succeeded to install 10.7.0 via Part E. method from first post. (Boot via verdant Boot CD, no Chameleon installed to hard disk)

After updating to 10.7.2, it always shows "still waiting for root device" error. I booted with -v -s UseKernelCache=Yes and followed the instructions in "Resolving the still waiting for root device error message on bootup after updating to OS X Lion 10.7.2".

Now I can't boot even with -v -s UseKernelCache=Yes.

I made a new DVD Install disk, this time from Install App, v10.7.2. When I try to boot this disc, it shows the "still waiting for root device" error. The 10.7.0 Install DVD is working.. Why isn't the 10.7.2 DVD working?!

• 2 weeks later...

hi verdant

after a few weeks I finally can boot with the newest chameleon. But now i have a new "problem":

booting takes SOOOOOOO long (i dont use KernelCache because when i'm getting still waiting for ..., but thats not the point, this time to boot is okay^^) and it is because of "waiting for DSMOS"

i've seen that somehting "sudo chown root:admin /" solved that, but not to me.

And some people say that i have to put FakeSMC in /S/L/E and not like you told us in your guide in /E/E, is it okay to put this kext in the system folder??

I have successfully installed 10.7.2 on evga 780i ftw. I just used iAtkos L2 usb. I opened the usb in a working mac and copied nforce chipset, lan kexts in to S/L/E. I also copied all other 64bit kexts (Provided on the first post) into S/L/E. Then I booted from the usb and it showed all my HDDs. After Install I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.2.1 for lion to setup my Nvidia GT 240 1Gb and voodoooHDA 2.7.3. I also updated cuda drivers avilable on nvidia site.

I m running it successfully. I have KPs some times.

Hardware Specs:

Evga 780i FTW 3way SLI mobo

Quad core Q9450 2.67Ghz

4 GB Ram

Geforce GT 240 Igb DDR5

Sata DVDRW

Sata HDD 80gb seagate baracuda

Hello verdant, please help me to solve this problem:

(I know that here is not the right place, but I've tried almost methods but found nothing work...)

I have PCI-e VGA with ZOTAC nVIDIA GeForce 8400GS @ 512 MB DDR3 64-bit.

I've using it on my Acer ASPIRE M1800 PC (nForce 630i Chipset with DualCore CPU E5200 @ 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM DDR2, 2 x 320 GB SATA HDD, DVD-R/W Dual Layer) and everything work fine with iATKOS L2 (Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 - Upgraded to 10.7.3). With just adding my Device ID to NVDANV50Hal.kext on S/L/E and boot with "arch=i386 Graphics Enabler=Yes" ... all accellerations and resolutions work OOB fully Q/E & CI.

But now, I found some problems when using it on my new PC with this specs:

Vendor : Lenovo H310 Desktop PC

Chipset : Intel 82801G SounthBridge

Processor : Intel DualCore CPU E6700 @ 3.2 GHz

VGA : OnBoard Intel G41 (detected as unknown 64 MB on Snow Leo 10.6.2 & Lion 10.7.2)

HDD : Western Digital @ 500 GB, SATA-7200 RPM

Memory : Samsung 2 GB DDR3 Single RAM

Others : Lenovo 18" LCD Monitor, DVD-R/W, Realtek OnBoard Ethernet, Card Reader, PS/2 Keyboard & USB Mouse.

Misc : No AHCI Mode on BIOS (but just IDE), VT Tech, Video Mode Switch (between Onboard & PCI-e)

The installation succeeded; iATKOS L2 DVD using the OnBoard VGA.

Some problems occur when I decided to replace the OnBoard VGA with my 8400GS PCI-e. All accelerations & resolutions work fine with fully Q/E & C/I (just a same as above method), but wait... now i get very slow OS Performance and unfortunately my PS/2 Mouse & USB Keyboard couldn't run perfectly (jittery, acceleration problem, I couldn't move it on). Then, I try to replace the USB Mouse with PS/2 Port, using other mouse / keyboard but it doesn't work anymore. When using OnBoard VGA (1024x768 Native Resolution; X4500.kext compatibility issue, no Q/E & C/I) it works perfectly (Both PS/2 Keyboard & USB Mouse).

So, I assume that 8400GS VGA caused this problem.

(Additional: When booting with "-v" option, I got some outputs that ALPSGlidePoint, VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad, and ApplePS2Trackpad are loaded. I don't know what this mean, since I'm sure that my PC doesn't have this hardware. I've tried to remove it from S/L/E, but I found nothing there...!?)

Please, help me to fix this problem... Thanks very much, and I apologize for my bad English.

• 2 weeks later...

Verdant strikes again....So I was having issue with my raid array and Verdant showed me a little trick on how to get it working on all four of my cores until applenforceata.kext is updated with raid support use maxmem=3456. I can only use half of my available ram but the system is stable finally and I will be looking forward to the updated kext whenever it may be released. Nick savage narrowed the issue down to memory. I can't wait to see what he will figure out next finally some movement on this issue! Here is some info on the subject:

http://code.google.c...ues/detail?id=2

Does Slashack Manage this? Can we get a hold of him? If you goto the project home link it has someones email slash...@gmail.com

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1754512

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...shooting-Thread

Thanks again Verdant and Nick Savage you rock!!! :) :) :)

Mega delayed reply here. :P

My guess was that regardless of whatever modifications have been made to the sata kexts we are using (I forget how many kexts I had tried that claim to be recompiled or tweaked for 64bit use) none of them fix the use of what I presume is a 32bit DMA memory map or something along those lines. One would think that it shouldn't have an effect on file transfers between two drives not connected to the nforce sata bus, but it does. Something related to the way the root volume gets used, I suppose. I never did test it but the issue may resonate in a fashion similar to 32bit memory issues ala windows XP; with the VRAM of the graphics card being part of the 4gig max for memory that can be mapped (which could be why we see so many varying maxmem totals. My system was running a 512mb card). I frankly have not kept up on how moving to 64bit architectures effects things. Someone with the appropriate programing skills and some familiarity with authoring iokit drivers can probably fix the issues (Not in my immediate skillset, sadly.) This problem seems to afflict a whole bunch of ata and sata kexts that were probably coded originally for use with 10.4/10.5. I've seen threads here and elsewhere where folks have updated a few of them; none for nforceata though. Digging up info on all of this was a royal pain when I did it; all of the kexts floating around are poorly labeled and a number of the folks who rebundle other people's stuff have renamed/relabled kexts at various times much to my annoyance. As to setting the flags to limit CPU cores (cpu=x, etc) I can't speak as to why I had no negative impact running both my cores on my particular software combo (My 10.6 and 10.7 installs have been as bare-bones as possible).

Someone needs to spit out a updated kext :P

@ All Guide readers/posters

Please accept my apologies but at present my 'real life' workload is requiring me to very greatly limit my time for visiting the IM OSx86 forum (or indeed any other OSx86/Linux/OS X fora) and hence for responding to posts in this topic (and my other topics too) asking for help....... :compress:

Here's a link with them till he puts up an updated link.

P.S. Are you planing on doing one of these guides for the beta of M.L. Verdant?

More likely a guide for the Retail Mount Lion version once all features have been fixed ......... :)

P.S. Thanks for putting up a temporary link. I have contacted Sendspace to find out why it cannot be downloaded at present.

according to the instructions there was supposed to be a dsdt.aml file in the verdant support folder v 1.1 but i didn't see it. Anybody have the dsdt for the Asus P5N-e 650 sli? Thanks!

Sorry about the instructions misleading you......... :(

The instructions should have read as follows:

Copy across from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard system, your MOBO's OS X DSDT.aml file into the open target HDD OS X Lion System Window, i.e. the target HDD volume's / directory…….

Thanks for spotting the error.........I have now corrected the Guide.

My Guide assumes that your are already running OS X Snow Leopard in 64 bit, and thus are already using a DSDT.aml file.....if you are not using a DSDT.aml file, then you should be able to generate your dsdt.aml file for your specific MOBO using the procedure explained in Post #3....... ;)

I installed Lion succcesfully. But when exiting lion my pc can't start again. I have to reset the cmos battery. I have a asus p5n32e sli plus with q6600@3000mhz

Does anyone know how to run 2 video cards with this setup? i want to run triple monitor setup

@ All Guide readers/posters

My verdant_Lion_Support_Files_V1.1 have been re-uploaded to SendSpace, so the link in post #1 is working again for me and should be for you..... :)

Dear Verdant!

First of all i need to say a big THANK YOU for your guides, because now thank's to your posts, i have a fully functional OSX Lion 10.7.0 on my PC.

Now only one more thing missing. I have no hardware acceleration for my 8800 GTX. After few days of searching around, i'm still facing with this problem. As i know it's a known issue, but i can't find the solution.

I heard something about that the 10.7.3 update will solve the problem. i've tried to update, but i get kernel panic every time.

I'm using only the kexts from your support files v1.1, and i haven't modified the DSDT yet.

I just entered the hex format string of my GPU under device-properties in boot.plist. i get the full resolution that i needed, but still no hardware acceleration, and with flash crashes.

Please if You, or anybody have a solution, help me!

I have an Asus Striker Extreme MOBO (nForce 680i) with two 8800 GTX (SLI) in it. I needed to take my second card out to install the Lion, so now I have just one installed in single mode. Is it possible to get the SLI back to work?

Thank's for Your help, and sorry for my bad english.

Regards,

Nostromo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I just bought a brand new ssd (agility 3 60gb) and now i am getting random ioatacontroller device blocking bus followed by still waiting for root device. fsck never runs. It works randomly though. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Greenwayer

AppleNForceATA is not optimized for ssds. Would be interesting if someone has a SSD running with nForce and OSX.

Why should it matter? Shouldnt it see it as just a normal hard disk, as ssds use generic drivers? Also if that is the problem what can I do if i need to use an ssd? Any dsdt patches so I can get rid of NForceATA? are there any alternatives to NForceATA?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I followed step by step your tuto talking about the still waiting for root device and nothing works heres my config, perhaps you'll have the answer to my question, "do you know any solution"(By the way I'm upgrading to 10.7.3 combo).

ASUS P5N-E SLI

dual card GTS 450

Chameleon-2.1svn-r1923

Sorry to ask but I have been told once that ther was no dumb questions

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I followed step by step your tuto talking about the still waiting for root device and nothing works heres my config, perhaps you'll have the answer to my question, "do you know any solution"(By the way I'm upgrading to 10.7.3 combo).

ASUS P5N-E SLI

dual card GTS 450

Chameleon-2.1svn-r1923

Sorry to ask but I have been told once that ther was no dumb questions

Thanks in advance

Is your DVDRW a SATA or PATA (IDE) device?

Are you trying to install with two graphics cards plugged into the MOBO?

How much RAM installed?

Look at my signature to see what system information will be useful to those trying help you

Well, thanks to your great guide i've gotten my video and ethernet working correctly and i'm almost at 100 percent! My biggest issue is the sound right now, my head seems to be spinning with intructions and can't get it to work right. Any help wold be appreciated. I have an Asus Striker 2 Extreme 790i with SupremeFX sound card.. i've looked at the post in the beginning and just can't wrap my head around it. Heres my dsdt file if anyone could hold my hand ;/

Also, i'm on a fresh install of Lion 10.7.2

thank you so much :(

DSDT.aml.zip