nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

I have an xfx nforce630i board that goes super both on snow leopard and lion but the only thing is that internet loses connection.

Even if i put in an pci card like the rtl8139 it loses connection to internet.

I have tried everything with this computer but it wont be good for internet.

Everything else runs good but its just the lan that is bad. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this.

I also have an msi board with an nforce chip and that one loses connection too.

Is there something crappy with nforce based chipsets and internet connection.

They all running great under windows.

It is a 32GB USB Flash Drive, I think I didn't explain it well in my first post. Not sure if that makes a difference. It is formated GPT/HFS+

OK.......but as it is 32GB flash memory it will be relatively slow on read/write.....installing to an OS X-only internal SATA HDD is the way to go....

This motherboard seems to have limited configuration when it comes to the SATA Bios Settings. But I do have a RAID configuration when it comes to the onboard SATA ports. Currently it is set to disable raid on all 6 internal SATA ports, but I have tried it with enabled (leaving it disabled on all ports, just turning on the main raid).

There is one other option for "Serial-ATA Controller" , you have the choices of SATA-0, SATA-0+1 or All Enabled. It is currently set to All Enabled and I have not touched this part.

APIC is enabled, although I don't think this has anything to do with the problem but I have seen that feature mentioned a few times.

Go here to post #1 and download my BIOS settings template for a 780i Chipset and use it to check all your BIOS settings

Right now I do not have any because I moved them all to System/Library/Extensions just for the heck of it since nothing else seemed to be working. But when I did have some in there I had the following kexts:

AD1998b.FiX.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

(off of the USB key guide)

I have also tried a bunch of random things in here, as well as having FakeSMC.kext in Extra/Extentions, but since I have had the same results each time I figure I will just keep it simple and tell you what I originally had.

In /Extra , you should have (assuming you installed Chameleon 2.0 r1191)

Extensions

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

smbios.plist

Themes

In /Extra/Extensions/ you should have:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

but not AD1998b.FIX.kext because your MOBO does not use the AD1988b audio codec....

Do not forget to reset all kext ownerships and permissions if and when moving these kexts into /S/L/E/.....

For your LAN to work, you probably will need to put the nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/....

As your EVGA 780i has the Realtek ALC888 codec, you can use MacMan's ALC8xxHDA.kext in /S/L/E/

Kexts for ALC 888.zip

together with the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/, or together with a HDEF/DTGP patched DSDT.aml file in/ or in /Extra....and the Snow Leopard v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext

AppleHDA.1062.zip

in the place of the OS X Lion 10.7.x AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/ as you should do......renaming the OS X Lion AppleHDA.kext as, for example, AppleHDA.kext.1072_Orig via Terminal, which converts it to a folder and so stops it loading.....allowing AppleHDA.1062.kext to load instead.....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64</string>

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>0458B8A0-01FC-3D16-BC3F-1ADB54032989</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

The above is OK for your org.Chameleon.Boot.plist file......

I added the details to my signature, hopefully that explains it.

That is what I am trying to do, I think I was a little confusing on my original post. I also tried using a Silicon Image PCI SATA Controller but it didn't look like it even tried to load my kext.

What is the Silicon Image PCI SATA Controller's chipset?

I am fairly new to OSX, (only had my Macbook Pro 2 weeks now), so I will do my best to answer everything correctly so bare with me if I seem a little slow sometimes. (sorry)

No problems, we all have to start somewhere.......

BUT please do not try anything at random and certainly not without telling me here.......because if I do not know exactly what you have been doing, then I will not be able to help you without wasting my time trying to "blind-guess" what you may have done......and I do not have the time to do that......

The biggest difference I see between my board and the template you have is that I do not have a JMicron RAID Controller that I can set to AHCI. I wonder if that is why I am unable to make this work. I made sure everything else was setup like your template that I was able to though. Also I didn't disable the network interface ports like the template said but it seems to be loading that when it boots up (I see it say NForce Lan and list the two interfaces). If I need to I can buy a network card though if those are causing a problem.

I made the changes you posted on the last reply, it is still giving me the "still waiting for root device" error right this second.

Also I removed everything out of the Extra and Extra/Extensions that was not what you listed and reset all of the permissions and now I am getting "Firewire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid!" over and over along with the original error chiming in every once in a while, I am not that worried about this because I may have just messed something up and may need to do my installer, but I figured it'd be worth mentioning.

Thanks again for the help

The biggest difference I see between my board and the template you have is that I do not have a JMicron RAID Controller that I can set to AHCI. I wonder if that is why I am unable to make this work. I made sure everything else was setup like your template that I was able to though. Also I didn't disable the network interface ports like the template said but it seems to be loading that when it boots up (I see it say NForce Lan and list the two interfaces). If I need to I can buy a network card though if those are causing a problem.

I made the changes you posted on the last reply, it is still giving me the "still waiting for root device" error right this second.

Also I removed everything out of the Extra and Extra/Extensions that was not what you listed and reset all of the permissions and now I am getting "Firewire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid!" over and over along with the original error chiming in every once in a while, I am not that worried about this because I may have just messed something up and may need to do my installer, but I figured it'd be worth mentioning.

Thanks again for the help

As explained in the linked page, the templates are composites of different 780i chipset MOBO BIOSs, so you only need to worry about the BIOS parameters in your BIOS that match those in the template.....

Disabling both LAN ports is only a temporary measure while installing OS X and hence the v0.64.5 nForceLAN.kext, or if you already have a PCI/PCI-e NIC installed.......if the v0.64.5 nForceLAN.kext is loading and working at bootup, then you need only disable one LAN port if your MOBO has two.....

Disable Firewire in your BIOS if you do not intend to use it with OS X, or with any another OS installed on the PC......

Do you have any Firewire storage devices connected to the PC?

I have an xfx nforce630i board that goes super both on snow leopard and lion but the only thing is that internet loses connection.

Even if i put in an pci card like the rtl8139 it loses connection to internet.

I have tried everything with this computer but it wont be good for internet.

Everything else runs good but its just the lan that is bad. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this.

I also have an msi board with an nforce chip and that one loses connection too.

Is there something crappy with nforce based chipsets and internet connection.

They all running great under windows.

Suggest you try installing OS X Leopard v 0.64.5 nForceLAN.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ and if present in /System/Library/Extensions/, remove forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext, and remove nvenet.kext, or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad......this is because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7 and later, including 10.6.x, look in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.......this is a new location for nvenet.kext; prior to 10.5.7, this kext was not in IONetworkingFamily.kext.......

In Terminal, type

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
ls
sudo mv nvenet.kext nvenet.kext.bad
ls
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

"ls will list the files in PlugIns"

No I do not have any firewire devices attached, so I disabled it in the BIOS. I also disabled one of the two network cards and now the only error I am receiving is the "still waiting on root device."

So at least that is fixed.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide to hopefully find a solution to this.

Thanks again

Also I am going to type out everything it says after it first loads the AppleNForceATA, maybe it will be more helpful.

AppleNForceATA: sata phy reset done.

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 21, BM 0xc400)

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 21, BM 0xc808)

AppleNForceATA: found 1 units.

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 21, BM 0xc808)

AppleNForceATA: found 1 units.

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 by MeDevil (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xec00)

USBF: 2.477 AppleUSBEHCI{0xffffff8017936000) - could not get chip to halt within 100ms

USBF: 2.477 AppleUSBEHCI{0xffffff8017936000) - Error occurred (0xe00002c9)

AppleNForceATA: warning: phy connection failed. status=0x000000000

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units:

USBF: 2.477 AppleUSBEHCI{0xffffff8017936000) - could not get chip to halt within 100ms

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered

USBF: 22.657 AppleUSBEHC ----- The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Part 5 of Hub at 0xb000000)

0 - AppleUSBCDC start initdevice failed

YSVMSC Identifier (non-unique): 07A71D013C4897E9 0x13fe 0x3600 0x100

USBF: 26.263 The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

mbinit: done [96MB total pool size, 64/32 split

PThread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused

From path: "uuid",

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 7FA23051-F650-352D-8499-1879061762C0

Waiting on <dict- ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResourvces</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

then the "still waiting for root device" till the end of time.

Glad you got OS X 10.7.2 running on your 750i chipset MOBO..........

Here is your RTC fixed plus HDEF and DTGP patched P5N-D DSDT file..........

nickgallis DSDT.zip

Rename the dsdt.aml file in the Patched folder as DSDT.aml and put it in / or in /Extra.......then try to find a legacy ALC883 kext for OS X Snow Leopard/Lion to put in /Extra/Extensions/ to use together with v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in place of the v10.7.2 AppleHDA.kext (rename via Terminal as AppleHDA.kext.orig) in /System/Library/Extensions.....

No guarantee of success via this route unless you find a working ALC883 legacy kext, as at present OS X Lion and ALC883 sound seems to be a problem........see here........

1. How has your external USB HDD been partitioned/formatted (GPT/HFS+ or MBR)HFS+).....?

2. What are your SATA and RAID BIOS settings....?

3. What kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions/...?

4. What have you got in your /Extra.....?

5. What have you got in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file?

Please put your system details in your signature........see my signature as an example.

BTW installing OS X Lion on an internal SATA HDD volume of its own will be much faster than via USB......

ok tks tomorrow I try it I'm newer on make and I use on other place this :P

@ nick323

Unplug all connected USB devices except USB memory stick and your USB keyboard and USB mouse and then report what happens when you boot by typing at the Chameleon boot prompt (press any key when Chameleon boot screen appears and start typing boot flag.........look in bottom left corner of the screen)......

-v arch=x86_64 UHCIreset=Yes

and when you boot with

-v arch=x86_64 USBBusFix=Yes

Also, confirm that you are using a PATA (IDE) DVDRW and that it is jumper-set and connected as Master to your MOBO by an 80-wire IDE cable......

With with nearly all nForce chipset MOBOs, the best combo is a SATA HDD and a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper set as Master...........a SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD combo is often a problem, as is a SATA DVDRW and IDE HDD combo...........

With a SATA DVDRW and 3GB RAM, then you should/can useMeDevil's AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext (but if you have >3GB RAM, then you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist with this kext), whereas, with a PATA DVDRW, you can use slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (and its later variants, e.g. by AnV etc.) with >3GB installed.......

With a SATA DVDRW and AppleNForceATA.kext and OS X, you may have disk reading problems and will not be able to burn disks.......

@ nick323

Unplug all connected USB devices except USB memory stick and your USB keyboard and USB mouse and then report what happens when you boot by typing at the Chameleon boot prompt (press any key when Chameleon boot screen appears and start typing boot flag.........look in bottom left corner of the screen)......

Ok, I unplugged everything but the USB Key/Keyboard and Mouse

-v arch=x86_64 UHCIreset=Yes

This didn't make any difference when I typed in the command, same problem with waiting for root device.

and when you boot with

-v arch=x86_64 USBBusFix=Yes

This also didn't change anything, the same information when I boot up and eventually the waiting for root device.

Also, confirm that you are using a PATA (IDE) DVDRW and that it is jumper-set and connected as Master to your MOBO by an 80-wire IDE cable......

With with nearly all nForce chipset MOBOs, the best combo is a SATA HDD and a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper set as Master...........a SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD combo is often a problem, as is a SATA DVDRW and IDE HDD combo...........

With a SATA DVDRW and 3GB RAM, then you should/can useMeDevil's AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext (but if you have >3GB RAM, then you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist with this kext), whereas, with a PATA DVDRW, you can use slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (and its later variants, e.g. by AnV etc.) with >3GB installed.......

With a SATA DVDRW and AppleNForceATA.kext and OS X, you may have disk reading problems and will not be able to burn disks.......

I did double check and make sure I had the DVDRW set to Master (it is an IDE). So it theory everything should be the way it wants but of course I am running into the waiting for root device error.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Ok, I unplugged everything but the USB Key/Keyboard and Mouse

This didn't make any difference when I typed in the command, same problem with waiting for root device.

This also didn't change anything, the same information when I boot up and eventually the waiting for root device.

I did double check and make sure I had the DVDRW set to Master (it is an IDE). So it theory everything should be the way it wants but of course I am running into the waiting for root device error.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Am I correct in assuming that since you say you unplugged everything but the USB Key/Keyboard and Mouse before booting the PC, this boot problem is occurring with the internal SATA HDD onto which you have already installed OS X Lion? Please clarify.

Am I correct in assuming that since you say you unplugged everything but the USB Key/Keyboard and Mouse before booting the PC, this boot problem is occurring with the internal SATA HDD onto which you have already installed OS X Lion? Please clarify.

Yeah I only left a USB Keyboard and Mouse plugged in and then I left in the 32 GB Usb Thumb Drive to install OSX Lion. I do not currently have OS X Lion installed anywhere on the computer with the nForce chipset, that is what I am attempting to do. I guess I left that part out in my posts. Sorry about that.

Come to think of it that explains why you mentioned the USB drive being slow. I am trying to use the USB drive to boot the installer to install it on the 500 GB drive in my signature.

I have tried just booting with just the 500 GB Drive hooked up tho Sata 0 on the motherboard with all of the other drives disconnected. I am not trying to run Lion off of the 32 GB Usb Drive.

I hope I didn't miss anything in the tutorial. I will read over it again.

Yeah I only left a USB Keyboard and Mouse plugged in and then I left in the 32 GB Usb Thumb Drive to install OSX Lion. I do not currently have OS X Lion installed anywhere on the computer with the nForce chipset, that is what I am attempting to do. I guess I left that part out in my posts. Sorry about that.

Come to think of it that explains why you mentioned the USB drive being slow. I am trying to use the USB drive to boot the installer to install it on the 500 GB drive in my signature.

I have tried just booting with just the 500 GB Drive hooked up tho Sata 0 on the motherboard with all of the other drives disconnected. I am not trying to run Lion off of the 32 GB Usb Drive.

I hope I didn't miss anything in the tutorial. I will read over it again.

As there is no apparent reason for the boot failure, the best advice is to very carefully retrace your steps in setting up the USB flash drive installer.....paying particular attention to relevant Terminal commands given in the guide.....

If still no success, then try another USB flash drive (8GB sufficient)..........alternatively, try the Boot CD/DVD approach.......

As there is no apparent reason for the boot failure, the best advice is to very carefully retrace your steps in setting up the USB flash drive installer.....paying particular attention to relevant Terminal commands given in the guide.....

Yeah I have done that several times over and over. So far no luck there.

After playing with it for a while throughout the night I finally found iATKOS L2 and gave it a shot. The only thing I had to do with the installer was put in the AppleNForceATA and it actually booted. I am able to get through the installer but it didn't detect the LAN right away, but I was able to get that working with the kext you provided in the tutorial.

Now the only issues I have with it are the GeForce 280 GTX, which I have been working on for the past 5 hours or so (however I just messed up my installation and I am reinstalling as we speak) and the Sound Blaster which I have not even started looking at.

I picked the NVEnabler instead of the GraphicsEnabler this time, so hopefully this installation actually boots.

If you have any ideas on the graphics card or sound card i'd appreciate the help. I have been working on this all night so far :)

Thanks again

@ nick323

Initially get OS X working 100% without the sound card installed and then see if you can get OS X and the onboard sound running......if so, then put the sound card back........as for graphics, have a go with NVEnabler64 (remember to have Graphics Enabler = No when trying NVEnabler)...........as for Sound Blaster, see here........off to work now....... :)

BTW if you ever do want a full Lion Retail installation using your USB flash drive installer, then try booting with USB 2.0 support temporarily disabled in BIOS, or if you have one, via an external USB hub.....

Did you manage to sort out your graphics and sound yet.....?

Edited by verdant

@verdant

Yeah I finally got everything sorted out on my EVGA 780i SLI with the NVidia GeForce 280 GTX using OnBoard Audio (I just removed the Sound Blaster instead of trying to get it to work)

I actually typed out all of the instructions (mostly for me) that I did in order to complete the installation. This is using iATKOS L2 and just using some of the drivers you provided. I do not claim that everything in my little write up is 100% correct, but they are the steps I followed to get everything working so maybe it will help someone in the future. Also includes what I did to get Time Machine working with Windows Home Server, which someone may want as well.

Thank you for all of the help, after I found the correct kext for the video card I was able to finish up pretty quickly.

The guide I wrote is attached.

EVGA 780i SLI iATKOS L2 Instructions with Time Machine.rtf

@ nick323

Thanks for posting your guide.......I am still puzzled why you were not able to use my USB flash drive install procedure successfully as others have done on a 780i MOBO.......

@verdent

I am not sure, I am sure it was me doing something wrong, I am going to read over it again and try on another hard drive. I agree it should have worked.

Also I am not even sure how stable this installation is. I have had it freeze up on me a couple of times. Not sure why.

Any ideas on how to check and see what is causing it to freeze up?

@verdent

I am not sure, I am sure it was me doing something wrong, I am going to read over it again and try on another hard drive. I agree it should have worked.

Also I am not even sure how stable this installation is. I have had it freeze up on me a couple of times. Not sure why.

Any ideas on how to check and see what is causing it to freeze up?

Until OS X is booting stably and running 100% OK, always boot with the -v debug=0x144 debug=0x100 boot flags....

Until OS X is booting stably and running 100% OK, always boot with the -v debug=0x144 debug=0x100 boot flags....

I am going to try this tonight when I get home.

I updated Safari as I heard it caused freezing sometimes, but so far I can't seem to find the root of the problem. It appears to be pretty random, sometimes the computer will stay up for 3 - 4 hours, sometimes 30 minutes. Then it just freezes.

You can still move the mouse and what not but you get the beach ball. It doesn't appear to be any specific task that causes it, it just does it.

I will try to boot with the debug and verbose flags and while I am working on that I will attempt to fix my usb installer from your tutorial, maybe that installation will end up better.

From what I have read so far though, even normal Mac machines freeze up at random sometimes, most of those people are saying it is due to incompatiable or old software, but I didn't really install all that much yet and most of what I have on my desktop I have installed on my Macbook which is also running Lion. So not sure if that could be it or I just have a messed up driver somewhere.

It froze up this morning while I was at work, so I am going to look at the console later on tonight. If you have any ideas feel free to chime in.

Thanks

I am going to try this tonight when I get home.

I updated Safari as I heard it caused freezing sometimes, but so far I can't seem to find the root of the problem. It appears to be pretty random, sometimes the computer will stay up for 3 - 4 hours, sometimes 30 minutes. Then it just freezes.

You can still move the mouse and what not but you get the beach ball. It doesn't appear to be any specific task that causes it, it just does it.

I will try to boot with the debug and verbose flags and while I am working on that I will attempt to fix my usb installer from your tutorial, maybe that installation will end up better.

From what I have read so far though, even normal Mac machines freeze up at random sometimes, most of those people are saying it is due to incompatiable or old software, but I didn't really install all that much yet and most of what I have on my desktop I have installed on my Macbook which is also running Lion. So not sure if that could be it or I just have a messed up driver somewhere.

It froze up this morning while I was at work, so I am going to look at the console later on tonight. If you have any ideas feel free to chime in.

Thanks

See if booting with maxmem = 3456, or maxmem = 3072 boot flag helps the system stability.....you could also try disabling Spotlight indexing.......

I have been using the computer for a good 4- 5 hours.. and it finally froze. At the time I was copying some text off of a website and then I went to Spotlight and it froze.

Anyway this is the last thing that posted in the logs before I rebooted. I wonder if the VoodooHDA is causing the problem. Not really sure how else to get the sound to work though, I tried quite a few things before i got that one to work.

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff8015357400]::performPowerStateChange(2, 1)

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff8015357400]::performPowerStateChange(1, 2)

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDAEngine[0xffffff8015cd4e00]::performAudioEngineStart

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: calling channelStart() for channel 0

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup format=10001000 speed=192000

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=2: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=3: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=4: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:36.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=5: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:37.947 AM Safari: IPCClient: Server port 0 is invalid; looking it up again...

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDAEngine[0xffffff8015cd4e00]::performAudioEngineStop

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: calling channelStop() for channel 0

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff8015357400]::performPowerStateChange(2, 1)

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff8015357400]::performPowerStateChange(1, 2)

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: VoodooHDAEngine[0xffffff8015cd4e00]::performAudioEngineStart

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: calling channelStart() for channel 0

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup format=10001000 speed=192000

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=2: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=3: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=4: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:18:46.000 AM kernel: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=5: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

1/18/12 1:23:36.000 AM bootlog: BOOT_TIME 1326867816 0

@ nick 323

You can check here for solving VoodooHDA related kernel panics as a starting point....as for an alternative to VoodooHDA sound, see my earlier post to you here........however, Safari and/or /Flash may be the problem, so try another browser such as Camino.........or Spotlight, so disable it to see.......or a memory issue, so try maxmem=3072

BTW it would be useful to say in your signature that your MOBO has a Realtek ALC888....

@verdant

I will read over the VooDooHDA when I get to work. I actually did try the kext's you posted first but I couldn't get it to detect the audio, I will try it again after I get home later on.

I have tried using Chrome instead but it still eventually froze. When I get home i will try the maxmem and run it for the night to see how it perfumes and then start disabling spotlight and so on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Asus Striker 2 extreme bios resetting on every re-boot :(

i installed chameleon 2.1 lion ready and then ticked the smbiosplist for Macpro3,1

org.chameleon.Boot.plist is now in my extra folder and smbios.plist

org.chameleon.Boot.plist contains ..

<dict>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

No more ideas I'm getting fed up with keep doing bios settings every time :(

Firstly, thanks verdant for such an awesome guide! Helped me out a lot.

I have nearly everything working except for shutdown/restart. I've tried both EvOreboot and OpenHaltRestart (seperately) in E/E and S/L/E respectively, but neither seem to work.

At the moment my system reports EvOreboot 1.0.3 is loaded and running in 64-Bit. Is there anything obvious that would get in the way of these kexts working properly?

I have an auto-patched DSDT with RTC fix (hopefully done right!)

org.chameleon.Boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, arch=x86_64,

UseKernelCache=Yes (with all kexts now in S/L/E and rebuilt cache, for a faster boot)

I've tried so many different things now I'm out of ideas.

Im working on getting Lion on my rig. At one time I had its going minus sound, that was a few years ago though. Since then my hd with my osx install was wiped. And I have added a few things I need some clarification on. My current specs are as follows. Evga 780i, intel Q9550, 4 Gb ram, 2 150 WD raptors (raid 0), Smaller 250gb wd hd, and a Samsung 750gb hd, 2 Evga 9800gtx's, Creative xfi sound card..

This will be a fresh install and all I have is a 10.7 disc. Per this guide it says I have to go from 10.6.x to 10.7 Is there anyway to get up and running. Off the 10.7 disc or DMG with out doing a step up for 10.6.x?

Can I get this installed on a separate partition on the Raptors in raid 0 (stock mobo controller) I have windows and linux mint on there already with room for osx...Will i gain noticeable performance improvements? If not Ill put it on one of my other hard drives.

Next I use 3 monitors, A 22" in the center hooked up on the top 9800, 2 - 19" on either side hooked up on the bottom card. I remember having issues with 2 video cards but someone had come up with a solution. What is the status with 2 cards and is there issues with the sli bridge being in?

I remember there used to be no kext for the creative sb xfi card i have. Has that changed?

Thanks for the help