nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

I do it! AppleHDA without any dsdt! kexts from snow 10.6.2 with three legacy kexts from asus P5k works on my P5n-e sli & ALC883.

Glad you got it sorted.........:wallbash:

Hi, any news on this?

Maybe its not the ram because it runs fine with cpus=1 without touching any mem settings.

And after adding core 2 u said it must be mem, but u havent tested cpus=3 yet.

Hope there will be a solution for this, coz everythings running fine except this. Have been waiting for 2 years for this to be solved.

*EDIT* BTW I also have the problem with 2 cores. With just one core its running totally fine also with full 4*1GB MEM

I wonder if your MOBO has the 1GB RAM module issue like the EVGA 680i........perhaps you need 2*2GB RAM instead.......

Glad you got it sorted......... :)

I wonder if your MOBO has the 1GB RAM module issue like the EVGA 680i........perhaps you need 2*2GB RAM instead.......

Oh, well... in fact I have the EVGA 680i SLI. Is there any issue with especially that mobo?

Didn't know about that. Does it for sure solve the problem if I use any other configuration than 4*1GB? Could u leave me any more information about that please? Thanks in advance! What would happen with i.e. 4*2GB?

Thanks alot, appreciate ur work!

Oh, well... in fact I have the EVGA 680i SLI. Is there any issue with especially that mobo?

Didn't know about that. Does it for sure solve the problem if I use any other configuration than 4*1GB? Could u leave me any more information about that please? Thanks in advance! What would happen with i.e. 4*2GB?

Thanks alot, appreciate ur work!

Glad you have found it of use.....:)

As you have an EVGA 680i MOBO then note this very interesting post that I have come across on the Tech Support Guy forum by 5ndr5 :

I had an nvidia chipset motherboard (EVGA 680i) and 4gb ram (ocz). Now after months and months of "random" freezes, rebooting, re-installing, different drivers, re-applying thermal paste, studying crash dumps................it turned out to be a "known" issue with my motherboard + all memory banks filled (1gb x 4), the ONLY thing that resolved it for me was to install x2 2gb modules !!!

Also see here......and 680i MOBOs more generally here.....

Glad you have found it of use..... :o

As you have an EVGA 680i MOBO then note this very interesting post that I have come across on the Tech Support Guy forum by 5ndr5 :

Also see here......and 680i MOBOs more generally here.....

I just remembered that I even tried running with just 2* 1GB in different slot positions and still had the error. And my windows 7 is running fine with 4 cores and 4*1GB in all slots aswell. It only happens in OSX. I get everything running leopard snow lion including updates, sound, internet, graphics (8800GTX) quartzextreme etc. but Ill get these random freezes, where the turning beachball thing comes up and programs stop running and after a while the whole working surface freezes too. Then I have to hard reboot. Sometimes I run ProTools(DAW like logic) and the issue appears, it starts hanging sound may even keep on running for some time. In any way I have to hard reboot. With just 1 core activated in bios everythings running well incl. 4*1GB RAM. But thats not the solution because Im in need of a strong system for programs with i.e. ProTools.

Did u ever have the same problem on your nforce board? I think in an old post I saw that u had a 680i as well.

BTW as info and for people searching keywords:

Q6600

EVGA 680i SLI, P33 bios vers.

EVGA 8800GTX, 2 monitors, full graphics

4*1GB RAM Kingston

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IntelCPUMonitor.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVClockX.kext

atm running SL 10.6.8 but works just fine with Lion too

I just remembered that I even tried running with just 2* 1GB in different slot positions and still had the error. And my windows 7 is running fine with 4 cores and 4*1GB in all slots aswell. It only happens in OSX. I get everything running leopard snow lion including updates, sound, internet, graphics (8800GTX) quartzextreme etc. but Ill get these random freezes, where the turning beachball thing comes up and programs stop running and after a while the whole working surface freezes too. Then I have to hard reboot. Sometimes I run ProTools(DAW like logic) and the issue appears, it starts hanging sound may even keep on running for some time. In any way I have to hard reboot. With just 1 core activated in bios everythings running well incl. 4*1GB RAM. But thats not the solution because Im in need of a strong system for programs with i.e. ProTools.

Did u ever have the same problem on your nforce board? I think in an old post I saw that u had a 680i as well.

BTW as info and for people searching keywords:

Q6600

EVGA 680i SLI, P33 bios vers.

EVGA 8800GTX, 2 monitors, full graphics

4*1GB RAM Kingston

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IntelCPUMonitor.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVClockX.kext

atm running SL 10.6.8 but works just fine with Lion too

No, I have a 650i MOBO........I have only experienced similar problems with heavy HDD to HDD data transfers, e.g. during cloning thus when cloning I boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......

I am surprised that using the maxmem=3456 boot flag has not worked for you as it has for

Nick Savage, who also has a EVGA 680i MOBO.....

No, I have a 650i MOBO........I have only experienced similar problems with heavy HDD to HDD data transfers, e.g. during cloning thus when cloning I boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......

I am surprised that using the maxmem=3456 boot flag has not worked for you as it has for

Nick Savage, who also has a EVGA 680i MOBO.....

I will give it another try with maxmem set. Hopefully it i will somewhen be fully working. Because I just need at 4GB+

I also have that problem with huge data transfers. It works for some minutes and then it will just stop t transfer with the transfer window open and the surface freezes quite simultaneously. I can still move the transferwindow arround but nothings working.

But you for yourself never found another solution than setting down things at boot?

I will give it another try with maxmem set. Hopefully it i will somewhen be fully working. Because I just need at 4GB+

I also have that problem with huge data transfers. It works for some minutes and then it will just stop t transfer with the transfer window open and the surface freezes quite simultaneously. I can still move the transferwindow arround but nothings working.

But you for yourself never found another solution than setting down things at boot?

NO, doesn't help. also setting it down from 1066 to 800 doesnt help. Was using protools and had loaded a huge drum sample library and it froz.

sounds like this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...729&hl=680i

and have seen this issue in many other posts, but nobody ever has been able to solve it ;/

I’m having some video card related problems. Currently the only way I can boot into Lion 10.7.2 is if I remove my 2nd video card. If I keep both video cards in my system all I get is a grey screen instead of a desktop. If I boot with just one video card then my system is fine. Before I updated to 10.7.2 I was using an EFI string for just my 1st video card and Lion 10.7 was fine because it didn’t even know I had a 2nd video card installed. Now with 10.7.2 the EFI string is no longer working. I could not boot with it. I now have to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes but with it I am getting a grey screen at boot. Does anyone one have any ideas on how to get this working. When I had 10.6.7 installed GraphicsEnabler=Yes worked without any problems. Snow Leopard saw I had two video cards and booted fine. With 10.6.8 and up I had to use the single card EFI string otherwise my system would get stuck with a grey screen in Lion 10.7 and a blue screen in Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I’m having some video card related problems. Currently the only way I can boot into Lion 10.7.2 is if I remove my 2nd video card. If I keep both video cards in my system all I get is a grey screen instead of a desktop. If I boot with just one video card then my system is fine. Before I updated to 10.7.2 I was using an EFI string for just my 1st video card and Lion 10.7 was fine because it didn’t even know I had a 2nd video card installed. Now with 10.7.2 the EFI string is no longer working. I could not boot with it. I now have to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes but with it I am getting a grey screen at boot. Does anyone one have any ideas on how to get this working. When I had 10.6.7 installed GraphicsEnabler=Yes worked without any problems. Snow Leopard saw I had two video cards and booted fine. With 10.6.8 and up I had to use the single card EFI string otherwise my system would get stuck with a grey screen in Lion 10.7 and a blue screen in Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Have you tried NVEnabler 64, which is what I use with OS X 10.7.2.........?

I did. Same affect as if I use GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

You may have to modify the NVCAP data string, assuming that you already have the device IDs in the appropriate nVidia graphics kexts.....

EDIT: If NVEnabler 64 does not work, then try what mohamed khairy says worked for him......he edited chameleon nvidia.c by renaming parent to child......by modifying line 81 as follows:

const char *nvidia_device_type[] = { "device_type",

"NVDA,Parent" };

by this

const char *nvidia_device_type[] = { "device_type",

"NVDA,Child" };

enabling GraphicsEnabler=Yes to work with dual graphics cards.....on recognised as parent and the other as child.........

NO, doesn't help. also setting it down from 1066 to 800 doesnt help. Was using protools and had loaded a huge drum sample library and it froz.

sounds like this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...729&hl=680i

and have seen this issue in many other posts, but nobody ever has been able to solve it ;/

Are you running Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD 9.0.5 beta software for OS X 10.7.x (Lion).........? See here......

Matters have improved for me with the imk AppleNForceATA.kext but just for safety I still manually boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 when I want to do HDD cloning or large data file transfers before re-booting as normal to work on the large audio files etc.......

Where do I find chameleon nvidia.c so I can edit it?

It is found here to view:

Chameleon Svn Source Tree >>>> Root/trunk/i386/libsaio/nvidia.c

Note that I strongly recommend that you PM mohamed khairy to find out what he did exactly, as I have not confirmed that what I have outlined below is the correct procedure by installing and using the resultant Chameleon boot files myself.....

It is just my current understanding which could be incorrect....if I am incorrect, I would be pleased to be shown the correct way........

1. Download the required (e.g. latest revision) Chameleon v2.0 source file via Terminal:

svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon

or

svn co -r 1700 http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon

or

svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk

and have Xcode installed.....

2. Then use Xcode to edit nvidia.c by navigating to trunk and double-clicking on Chameleon.xcodeproj.......then navigating to i386/libsaio/nvidia.c.........and in the Xcode editor window change

const char *nvidia_device_type[] = { "device_type", "NVDA,Parent" };

to

const char *nvidia_device_type[] = { "device_type", "NVDA,Child" };

and then go the Xcode top menu bar to Product >>>> Build......

3. Go to Terminal and type

cd chameleon
cd trunk

to go to the trunk directory

4. Clean up the previous compilation i.e. compiled binary files by typing

make clean

5. Start your binary file compilation by typing

make

After the compilation is complete, the sym directory should have been created (and populated) in the trunk directory, which will have the compiled binary files in its i386 directory.....

6. You can then manually install the resultant Chameleon boot files......

Ok. I'll look into this. Thank you.

If the procedure he used is different, please ask him if he would post it here, or let you do so if it works for you....

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I think I may have found the solution to this issue! I have had this issue for some time I have recently rebuilt both of the members of my array using the web GUI from highpoint and I am now running with all 6gb of my memory with no esata resets or beach ball issues. I am currently streaming HD content to my apple tv via plex, watching hd content via plex on my pc, playing audio to my airport express and copying large files to and from my array all at the same time. If your having issues rebuild your array completely using the maxmem=3072 flag then you can get rid of the boot flag and run smoothly! Your array's data may just be inconsistent! Don't use Launchpad, mission control, safari, or itunes while rebuilding or your array may crash! I believe while your array is rebuilding if you have a PCI-E graphics card like my GTX280 any heavy graphics issue causes a issue between your PCI-E RAID card and your Graphics card. Also if I right click to copy or paste inside safari seems to disrupt my array for a second but it doesn't reset. Weird but it works mostly hopefully this helps. Maybe all of these sata or esata raid issues are all linked to inconsistent arrays internal or external and bad hard drives with bad sectors or bad data. If all else fails format or rebuild! I am confident now that I could run osx on my esata raid 10 array. Till USB 3.0 is working looks like we have a great alternative for now. Enjoy :)

Would you be able to explain how I add device IDs in the appropriate nVidia graphics kexts?

See Post #2 Inserting Graphics Card Hardware Matching Device ID into nVidia Graphics Kexts.........read all and particularly F. Editing Info.plist files of nVidia graphics kexts in OS X Lion (and OS X Snow Leopard)..........:)

This guide is FANTASTIC!

Thank You!

I am now confident in these procedures and will attempt running 10.7 on my machine:

eVGA 680i SLI AR

Xeon 6030 (Conroe E6600)

6GB DDR2 RAM

ATI HD4850

Various HDDs (IDE 7 SATA2)

DVD-DL-RW SATA

This guide is FANTASTIC!

Thank You!

I am now confident in these procedures and will attempt running 10.7 on my machine:

eVGA 680i SLI AR

Xeon 6030 (Conroe E6600)

6GB DDR2 RAM

ATI HD4850

Various HDDs (IDE 7 SATA2)

DVD-DL-RW SATA

Glad you like the guide.......:)

Be aware that using a SATA DVDRW will cause you problems..........starting with the installation of OS X........use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW for optical media read/write under OS X..........I have no personal experience with ATI graphics cards and OSx86, so if you have ATI video problems I will not be able to help much.......

Hi verdant, I try to install iATKOS L2 (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2) on my Desktop PC. When the DVD Boots I always get "Still waiting for root device..." message :worried_anim: . These are my details PC's spec:

Model : Acer ASPIRE M1800.

MoBo : nVIDIA nForce 7100-620i (HW Profiler on Mac said; nForce 630i).

CPU : DualCore Intel Pentium E5200, 2500 MHz (12.5 x 200).

RAM : 2 GB (2x1 GB Visipro DDR2/SDRAM).

VGA : onBoard NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i (256 MB).

Disk (for OSX) : SAMSUNG PATA @30 GB (Primary Slave), LG PATA DVD-ROM (Primary Master), SATA Disks were unplugged.

Others : nForce Ethernet (Disabled via BIOS Option), VIA FireWire, ALC888 OnBoard SoundCard, CardReader, USB Mouse & Keyboard.

Misc. : No AHCI Option on BIOS, No HPET or VT.

By using CDBoot Intel NVEnabler I've successfully installed iATKOS S3 v2 on my 30 GB PATA HDD, but it won't boot after restarted anymore. Now, I wanna try to install OS X Lion; is my PC supported for this amazing OS...? :wink2:

Any suggestion, plz..!? This my mail: asyifa13@gmail.com

Thanks & I apologize for my bad English. (I'm Indonesian, :king: )

Hi verdant, I try to install iATKOS L2 (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2) on my Desktop PC. When the DVD Boots I always get "Still waiting for root device..." message :worried_anim: . These are my details PC's spec:

Model : Acer ASPIRE M1800.

MoBo : nVIDIA nForce 7100-620i (HW Profiler on Mac said; nForce 630i).

CPU : DualCore Intel Pentium E5200, 2500 MHz (12.5 x 200).

RAM : 2 GB (2x1 GB Visipro DDR2/SDRAM).

VGA : onBoard NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i (256 MB).

Disk (for OSX) : SAMSUNG PATA @30 GB (Primary Slave), LG PATA DVD-ROM (Primary Master), SATA Disks were unplugged.

Others : nForce Ethernet (Disabled via BIOS Option), VIA FireWire, ALC888 OnBoard SoundCard, CardReader, USB Mouse & Keyboard.

Misc. : No AHCI Option on BIOS, No HPET or VT.

By using CDBoot Intel NVEnabler I've successfully installed iATKOS S3 v2 on my 30 GB PATA HDD, but it won't boot after restarted anymore. Now, I wanna try to install OS X Lion; is my PC supported for this amazing OS...? :wink2:

Any suggestion, plz..!? This my mail: asyifa13@gmail.com

Thanks & I apologize for my bad English. (I'm Indonesian, :king: )

Your nForce 620i/630i chipset MOBO should probably be fully AHCI compliant, meaning that you cannot use an AppleNForceATA.kext...........however, Aspire M series desktops such as M3641, M5641 have the problem of a "locked feature" BIOS..........the same may be true of the M1800........

But before giving up, see these two topics:

Krishna21

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219837&st=0

iBifteki

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257546

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply verdant. :help: Very nice guide guys...

So, I have more options now; using other Mac/VMWare for installing this OS, or if it fails the last choice by upgrading my PC (I wanna buy a Lenovo ThinkCentre Series...) :wink2: and then trying to Install this OSX again. I will post the installation method on this Lenovo S after installation succeeded, but guide me for it, OK?

BTW, I've tried some distros on my nForce PC (Kalyway & Hazard SL got "ACPI" issue, iATKOS S3 V2 have successfully installed but won't boot from HDD after restart... :weight_lift: ). On "Customize" section I've tried with Default Installation, Basic or even Advanced but no result at all. Again, & again I got "Still waiting for root device..." issue when OSX Boot from HDD. U're right verdant, nForce is difficult to handle for OSX... :wallbash: but we don't say it's impossible, right? I've attached some error "screenshots" that appeared during Snow Leo boot on my PC, before my PC got Frozen & plz explain me what wrong with these...!?

Now, I wanna try iATKOS L2 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 on this nForce PC, is here the right place for posting it? While, the topic is

nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO ...???

Right now; I will try and try on how to installing OSX on this nForce PC. So, plz inform me that my Hardwares are supported or not for OSX Lion....!? Here, I've attached my very details PC's Specification generated from "Everest" on Windows 7. No more, than it's just reference for U. Thanks for u're guide verdant.

Everest_Ultimate_Report.htm

post-826765-0-24083000-1324434160_thumb.jpg

post-826765-0-16325600-1324434230_thumb.jpg