[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

jkbuha, the dsdt you provided is for xps 15z right? i have i5 and i know you have i7 but that shouldn't matter too much with your dsdt. I am asking because my system is unstable using your dsdt and your kext's don't work on my system. I used the dsdt from my ML backup, and I no longer had screen artifacts. sorry i am bit confused to why the kexts are not working with the dsdt

jkbuha, the dsdt you provided is for xps 15z right? i have i5 and i know you have i7 but that shouldn't matter too much with your dsdt. I am asking because my system is unstable using your dsdt and your kext's don't work on my system. I used the dsdt from my ML backup, and I no longer had screen artifacts. sorry i am bit confused to why the kexts are not working with the dsdt

Yes correct. You should define your P-states and C-states for i5 automatically or else use a custom SSDT-1.aml. I'm not sure why your system is unstable because it works well on any FHD 15z.

That means your display has not initialised (in fact if you boot with -x it will initialise, but in safe mode).

I had overcome this problem using my own device-properties as I posted earlier in this thread; looks like you will need to do another configuration with yours.

I'm not in the mood for checking all of the same stuff that has been discussed countless times before and posted all over the places. The patches are always the same for this series of laptops and I find it odd that it doesn't work for you. All I see is that graphics fail to initialize and contrary to what jkbuha is saying about using device-properties it was always enough to just use InejctIntel (the matter of fact thats what I use for the past year) and it should work. 

Swapped my DW1702 card out with an AW290-NB from Asus based on broadcom 43xx chip. Broadcom card is far superior when compared to atheros. Same mouse paired in Windows doesn't require re-pairing in OSX which was the case with atheros. Also, the negotiation link speed is now 130 Mbit opposed to just 65 with atheros and its actually 270 to 300 Mbit in windows. Oh, and now both BT and Wi-Fi can be disabled from menu bar, which is a good thing .. considering Fn+F2 doesn't work. Have zero issues on my Vostro now that the wireless card has been swapped out. Everything is running like clockwork.

• Like 2

Swapped my DW1702 card out with an AW290-NB from Asus based on broadcom 43xx chip.

I have also considered to change my wireless card. The generic name for your card is BCM943225HMB. It seems there is even a better version (BCM943224HMB) but unfortunately it's not avaliable on ebay. BCM94352HMB don't qualify because it's a hundred bucks. 

I have also considered to change my wireless card. The generic name for your card is BCM943225HMB. It seems there is even a better version (BCM943224HMB) but unfortunately it's not avaliable on ebay. BCM94352HMB don't qualify because it's a hundred bucks. 

yea, I was well aware about what I was buying :)

the other card you mention supports 5GHz band, but the driver itself doesn't properly support it so you are paying more for essentially the same thing, since you will end up on the same 2.4Ghz band anyway.. if you ever get the card, because like you say... it's nowhere to be found. the AC card is bull ... bluetooth controller on it requires firmware reuploading after every reboot or sleep cycle much like the atheros 3k cards do, so even if I was offered one I'd stick with what I've got. In conclusion, the 43225 card is best for the buck at this point. 

@youngwake, would you mind posting your extra/clover folders? I still haven't had any luck with my 15z getting past the gray apple + spinning wheel screen, despite trying both your and jkbuha's device properties and a few different config.plists and DSDTs (I use my own SSDT from my ML installation). I suspect there may be something wrong with my installation system though, since I never get the typical lines (like dsmos has arrived) before booting into the gray apple screen. I attached a photo of my screen here (sorry for the bad resolution, although not much is going on: most of it is just mounting my various partitions or drives).

Did you guys have to delete any kexts from S/L/E of the installation drive? I deleted the ATI/NVIDIA kexts, but I noticed there was no HD3000/4000 graphics kexts in mine...maybe I have a bad installation image, but maybe this was intentional.

Thanks!

@youngwake, would you mind posting your extra/clover folders? I still haven't had any luck with my 15z getting past the gray apple + spinning wheel screen, despite trying both your and jkbuha's device properties and a few different config.plists and DSDTs (I use my own SSDT from my ML installation). I suspect there may be something wrong with my installation system though, since I never get the typical lines (like dsmos has arrived) before booting into the gray apple screen. I attached a photo of my screen here (sorry for the bad resolution, although not much is going on: most of it is just mounting my various partitions or drives).

Did you guys have to delete any kexts from S/L/E of the installation drive? I deleted the ATI/NVIDIA kexts, but I noticed there was no HD3000/4000 graphics kexts in mine...maybe I have a bad installation image, but maybe this was intentional.

Thanks!

Here you go. Let us know if it works for you. I have 15z with i5 and 1080p FHD. Try making your Install with MyHack. That worked for me. and when you do make with myhack, put the files inside my extra folder into the the Extra folder in the myhack USB. Dont delete any of the kexts in the extensions folder inside the myhack USB installer. good luck

p.s 

I am not using clover at all only chameleon.

Extra.zip

S.L.E.zip

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

I used to be a contributing member to this thread about a year ago. So cool to see its still going!

I'm wondering if anyone ever figured out how to get the USB3 ports running properly?

Currently Mine will work but only for flash drives and some hard drives (though its a bit flakey), doesn't work for things like USB sound cards or MIDI interfaces which I would really like it to.

Also did anyone ever get Optimus working at all? I don't really care too much but it would be cool if it did.

Oh also, anyone get the HDMI port to work too?

i have an SSD installed in my XPS L502x in place of the HDD.

The HDD is installed in the caddy.

I want to triple boot linux, windows and OSX on my SDD (i use linux for work, windows on school and want to use OSX sometimes).

I had OSX installed one time thanks to DoiX awesome guide, but never dual or even triple booted it.

I was wondering if it is possible to get a triple boot with clover as bootloader, and if someone knows in general how to achieve this?

Also, which files do i need for the guide from TimeWalker? I tried to find it in this thread but i didn't. excuse me if someone already gave answer to this.

Oh and if i follow TimeWalker's guide, can i do a post install with the DoiX package?

My system specs are:

Intel Core i7 2720QM

8,00GB DDR3

Intel Sandy Bridge HM67

1366x768 screen

Many thanks,

Maik

P.S: does anyone have the same problem as me? i cannot install OSX from a USB drive, i always get the message 'waiting for root device' no matter wich port i use or whatsoever. I've tried a thousand things, with no succes. I just burn it on a dual layer most of the time, but it's expensive after a while.

Hi all,

It seems that the XPS 15 as the same touchpad that the XPS 13, an since i found no kext that brings tap to click and two fingers scroll, i decided to code one myself ^^.

So forked the sources of VoodooPS2Controller from rehabman and have integrated support for the cypress PS2 trackpad.

For now, it is still under dev, but seems to be crash free, features are really basic and mouse behaviour "primitive", but have a tap to click implementation and and a two fingers scroll.

You can check the source at :

https://code.google.com/p/voodoops2controllercypress/

You can download a "release" (no debug) version on the homepage.

Will update it soon, when i would have time (maybe this week end).

Best regards to all,

--

Ulysse31

• Like 1

Hey @ulysse31 - great work! Earlier this week i actually posted a request on another thread so that work could start on the Cypress trackpad; it's found in the 15z (not 15) and XPS 13 as well and is *incredibly* poor at documentation and even basic firmware.

So I've managed to make it work on my machine (L511z, Cypress firmware v34), and two-finger scrolling finally works - awesome  :)

Two questions:

1) Tapping does not work on my machine regardless of whether it is enabled or not in preferences. Does this happen for you as well?

2) Are you using a git or svn that I can have a look at and help you out? Found it, no worries. Going through your svn at the mo

Hi all,

It seems that the XPS 15 as the same touchpad that the XPS 13, an since i found no kext that brings tap to click and two fingers scroll, i decided to code one myself ^^.

So forked the sources of VoodooPS2Controller from rehabman and have integrated support for the cypress PS2 trackpad.

For now, it is still under dev, but seems to be crash free, features are really basic and mouse behaviour "primitive", but have a tap to click implementation and and a two fingers scroll.

You can check the source at :

https://code.google.com/p/voodoops2controllercypress/

You can download a "release" (no debug) version on the homepage.

Will update it soon, when i would have time (maybe this week end).

Best regards to all,

--

Ulysse31

Excellent. I can't wait to try this. Thank you sir

Hey @ulysse31 - great work! Earlier this week i actually posted a request on another thread so that work could start on the Cypress trackpad; it's found in the 15z (not 15) and XPS 13 as well and is *incredibly* poor at documentation and even basic firmware.

So I've managed to make it work on my machine (L511z, Cypress firmware v34), and two-finger scrolling finally works - awesome  :)

Two questions:

1) Tapping does not work on my machine regardless of whether it is enabled or not in preferences. Does this happen for you as well?

2) Are you using a git or svn that I can have a look at and help you out? Found it, no worries. Going through your svn at the mo

Hi, Firstly thanks for all your messages, happy to ear that you like it.

For now, all values are hard-coded, so it is normal that it does not change anything ^^' (sorry for that).

The tap to click should work on this version, it might come on the difference of the firmware (got a v11 on the xps13).

But like said before this is pre-alpha, it is not really stable, i've started working on it just about 2 weeks.

Question : i am actually building a new version a little bit smoother on the mouse pointer and on the scrolling speed because this version on mine kinda of really too much sensitive, is it the some on yours ?

I will post a v2 in some days, i cannot work on it very much time (just 1 or 2 hours per days), 

Cheers to all

ciao ulysse

yes it's a bit faster than the vanilla voodoo but I'm using the smoothmouse kexts which make the acceleration more like windows, so it's not really a showstopper

thanks again for the support for cypress, we're finally making some headway here :)

and on a helpful note, should you be interested in modding your L322 bios for gpu and hidden settings, just head over to our focused topic at bios mods...

Hi guys,

Is there anyone get their XPS L502x's SD card working properly on Mavericks? I use this kext ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/CardReader/MAC_OS_X/SD/ but still not working properly. it ONLY works IF you plug your SD card first before booting into mac osx. Is there any solution to that? or any work around that I can try? or maybe different kext that I can try?

Thanks

@ulysse i have the 15z your kext works for 2 finger scroll but it doesn't work for tap/click from trackpad how do i resolve this? tried with both versions.

Hi,

You are not the only one that tells me that ... it seems that it works on xps 13 but not in xps 15z ... (maybe the firmware version).

If a person that has a xps 15z and that can test a debug kext (i can give him one, or he can build it by checking out the sourcecode on googlecode).

Once with the debug kext, that person should give me the output of the following : cat /var/log/system.log | grep CYPRESS

The result will be very verbose, so be sure just to use the trackpad just to tap several times (in order to have a clean log of the problem).

Does somebody wants to participate ?