"Installer" hangs when installing apps

exscape

23 posts in this topic

I'm getting somewhere with my OSX86 setup now, QE/CI and this problem are the remaining ones that I know of.

Anyhow, I can't install applications that use OSX' "Installer" application.

The screen loads, and tells me for instance "Welcome to the ....... Installer". That's it, though, the window freezes right there, with the OSX loading cursor spinning and spinning. The only thing to do is to Force Quit.

It has happened with at least two completely different applications, so I doubt that it's their fault.

I'm running JaS 10.4.7, on this system:

MB: DFI nF4 Ultra-D (nForce4)

CPU: Athlon 64 "Venice" 3000+ (2700MHz)

RAM: 4x 512MB

GFX: Sapphire Radeon X800XL (running Callisto, but no luck with QE/CI yet)

2 SATA HDDs (NTFS only, thus read only), 2 PATA HDDs (one of them has the OSX partition).

The system is completely stable and has proven so for more than half a year, by the way.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Also try starting System Profiler... it should crash. Or atleast it does so for me with this latest JaS compilation. And from what I can tell som far, it only happens on AMD-based machines (tried it on my X2 at home which has these symptoms, and on my SSE2 P4 at work which does not show these symptoms).

Automatic updates also hangs for me, so it seems everything is related to the Installer in one way or another. I've looked in the console-log and it's showing up alot of invalid connections and some other warnings.... I'm going back to Myzar 10.4.6 upgraded to 10.4.7 until this is fixed and someone has compiled an 10.4.7 kernel.

System profiler works just fine for me, however "About this mac" doesn't. I don't feel like trying right now, since it seems to log out/freeze the system when clicked.

Anyhow, I've had some success (complete, actually) when using Pacifist to install packages. That way, I don't need to use the OS X installer, but can still install all the software I want to.

Needless to say, I still appreciate responses/solutions to my problem!

System profiler works just fine for me, however "About this mac" doesn't. I don't feel like trying right now, since it seems to log out/freeze the system when clicked.

Well, that's exactly what happens to me too when I click "About this mac". So, there's gotta be some systemfiles that doesn't get patched for amd or something else that failes to install correctly on our systems.

Well, that's exactly what happens to me too when I click "About this mac". So, there's gotta be some systemfiles that doesn't get patched for amd or something else that failes to install correctly on our systems.

yeah, happens here too with JaS 10.4.7

=/ still pretty fun though

Try getting semjaza's 10.4.7 amd patcher and run it,I might have missed a cpuid patch for amd.Anyway running the semjaza patcher should fix all the issues.

ok that fixed problems with About this Mac, thanks.

I'm still unable to use "installer" though, it hangs up whenever I try to use it. does anyone have a solution?

Can somebody out there please help me with this installer problem as well. I can't install any .pkg files because the OsX installer just hangs when it's called to use. I'm running Jas 10.4.7 Install, not the upgrade but the straight 10.4.7 install from demonoid. I did actually install the semjaza decrypts but that hasn't done anything for me. I still can't see "about this mac" and the installer still doesn't work.

Had similar issues with JaS 10.4.6 and 10.4.7....solved with Maxxuss' AMD_Enabler patch.....

Where can I get the AMD_Enabler patch? Could you PM me a location? I can't seem to find it on googe :pirate2:. Also , AFAIK, this patch is for 10.4.5, but will it really solve the problem of the installer hang in 10.4.7?

Where can I get the AMD_Enabler patch? Could you PM me a location? I can't seem to find it on googe :happymac:. Also , AFAIK, this patch is for 10.4.5, but will it really solve the problem of the installer hang in 10.4.7?

Added patch to my above post (I got it off of a post on this forum somewhere...but couldn't find it). Yeah..I know about the version difference....but it worked for me in 10.4.7. Beleive me...I don't really know what the heck I'm doing....I guess I just got lucky.

Can somebody out there please help me with this installer problem as well. I can't install any .pkg files because the OsX installer just hangs when it's called to use. I'm running Jas 10.4.7 Install, not the upgrade but the straight 10.4.7 install from demonoid. I did actually install the semjaza decrypts but that hasn't done anything for me. I still can't see "about this mac" and the installer still doesn't work.

Hi there, maybe it is not an elegant "fix" but I got the installer work by using it with Rosetta. :blink:

This didn't work for me. I'm new to mac though and may I've done something wrong. I downloaded that patch, saved it on desktop and just double clicked the patcher file. It said process completed and I restarted.

However, the installer still hangs.

open up the terminal (finder->applications->utilities)

> cd Desktop

> sudo ./patcher cpuid_patches.txt

• 2 weeks later...
Added patch to my above post (I got it off of a post on this forum somewhere...but couldn't find it). Yeah..I know about the version difference....but it worked for me in 10.4.7. Beleive me...I don't really know what the heck I'm doing....I guess I just got lucky.

Thanks wcarson and for all!!!

With "your" AMD-Enabler "About this MAC" and the Installer are now running fine.

If Installer won't start again, check use Rosetta on Get Info from Installer (and Reeboot).

After installing AMD_SSE3.pkg from 10.4.6 now System Profiler shows SSE3.

But About this MAC crashed again (1try /1 crash)

After installing MacOSXUpd10.4.8AMD_SSE3_V2 I get 10.4.8 :-)

"About this MAC" is also OK.

And no need for Rosetta Help for Installer :-)

Started with 10.4.7 JaS INTEL/AMD Repack ISO

My Hardware:

ASUS K8N-SLI DELUXE

AMD64 Venice 3500+

1,5 GB Corsair

forcedeth

Hello AMD users !

I've made a Tutorial in the Genius Bar about those issues.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28491

I will update it because with this method doesn't provide a SSE3 feature.

So i will test a few methods described here (10.4.6 amd sse3 package, 10.4.8 v2 amd...) and

try to get the best/easier solution.

Have a nice day

• 5 months later...

Hi there I am New on the forum so

Here it is

I am triying to run MAC OsX 10.4.6 on

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Core Venice

Supports MMX (+), 3DNOW (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64.

Biostar MOBO model C51MCP51

Chipset GeForce 6100

1 GB RAM DDR PC 3200

1 PCI SCSI card

2 SCSI hard drives 17 GB Cheetah 10.000 rpm

1 IDE 40 GB Samsumg drive

External usb DVD RW

ATI RADEON X700 Graphics card

I made a partition on my IDE drive and installed MAC OsX 10.4.6 on it

Then i went to the next step created the boot meni with the Chain0 File. But that gave me problems right away it kept looping to the boot menu until you hit F8 and select the partition to boot were MAC OsX is iantalled.

That looked good until in the midle of the Apple Screen showed a Sign like the Do not Disconect from the ipods and stayed that way for ever.

I restarted and initialezed using the -V command and when it stopped loading displayed a message that sain STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

Please if anyone can help me i woul very much appreciate