[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hi All on this post

Hello!

I am just wondering if anybody can help?

Sure!

I won't lie but i am fairly new to the installing OSX on a pc. I have succeeded installing it on my desktop

BUT i am losing sleep trying to put it on this HP DV6-2005TX!! (i7 720qm,4gb,500gig,nvidiaGT230m)

Sounds like good to work with specifications and shouldn't be too hard to get it working. ;)

I am trying to extract my dsdt from the machine but I get about 206 errors.. Is this normal?

I have even tried to extract it from the win partition..

Well. Could you try extracting your DSDT from an Ubuntu Live CD instead? I would honestly prefer that .

Instructions are here

Once you've gotten it, I could do some DSDT Patches i guess.

I have Win 7 on one partion and OSX on the first i can only boot up osx with the MIID at the moment and i always have to boot in safe mode (-x), because i get a KP if i try a normal start up

Could you take a picture of the kernel panic so i can know what error and maybe deduce it?

Can someone please help?

Already answered above! :)

Hi,

I am following the version 2.0 guide mentioned in post 1 of this topic to install Mac OS X on HP Pavilion DV6. Specs in my signature.

I am using an 8GB flash drive with 2 partitions. I used the Snow Leopard retail DVD 10.6.3.

I tried the generic (MIIF_DVx-Generic_v2.00.03.dmg) as well as the generic i5i3 (MIIF_DVx_i5i3-Generic_v2.00.03.dmg) MIIF. I keep getting "Still waiting for root device" when booting without any flags.

And when I use flags like -v -x -f, the installer proceeds further. But asks me to restart with the error "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer", after choosing the language.

I am unable to attach dsdt and dsdt.dsl that were extracted using Linux live cd on the HP DV6.

I still uploaded the dmesg from linux live cd on HP DV6.

EDIT: Uploaded the acpi dump as per instructions at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844

Please let me know how to proceed or any other things I can try.

HP_dmesg.txt

ACPI_Tables_2011_09_30_13_46.zip

Hi,

I am following the version 2.0 guide mentioned in post 1 of this topic to install Mac OS X on HP Pavilion DV6. Specs in my signature.

I am using an 8GB flash drive with 2 partitions. I used the Snow Leopard retail DVD 10.6.3.

I tried the generic (MIIF_DVx-Generic_v2.00.03.dmg) as well as the generic i5i3 (MIIF_DVx_i5i3-Generic_v2.00.03.dmg) MIIF. I keep getting "Still waiting for root device" when booting without any flags.

And when I use flags like -v -x -f, the installer proceeds further. But asks me to restart with the error "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer", after choosing the language.

I am unable to attach dsdt and dsdt.dsl that were extracted using Linux live cd on the HP DV6.

EDIT: Uploaded the acpi dump as per instructions at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844

Hi .

try it :)

Adam_A_R_1.zip

@Taptun

Hi,

Hello!

First of all. Do you have Windows installed on to your computer? If you do, could you do this. Start -> Run -> msinfo32.exe -> File -> Export -> Report.txt and then upload that to somewhere? It'll take awhile to generate.

If you don't have windows, do a "lspci -nn" on Linux and paste that here. :)

Next question is, When you try to install OS X What is your drive partitioned to? Is it the GUID Partition Table or MBR? I'm not too sure about this OS X cannot be installed but i'll try to help you as beast as i can. Sorry if it seems like im asking repetitive questions. I just need to make sure.

Hi .

Adam_A_R_1.zip

@Taptun

EDIT: lol Taptun. You were faster than me. :)

Any ideas about what i asked a few posts behind about IDT Audio? Cheers.

Hi .

Adam_A_R_1.zip

@Taptun

Hi Taptun,

appreciate your sooper quick reply. :)

Thanks.

Its kind of inviting "RTFM" or "STFF" comments. But could you help me with what I am supposed to do with the contents of the zip file?

A link to a post/article would be great!

EDIT: I copied the files smbios.plist, DSDT.aml and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to the /Extra folder on the MIID volume. When I booted using this setup, there was some output and then the machine rebooted itself. The behaviour was same even when I used -v -x -f flags. I have also uploaded the screenshot of last frame before reboot. Also, strange thing to note is that the existing smbios.plist on MIID was named SMBIOS.plist.

Hello!

First of all. Do you have Windows installed on to your computer? If you do, could you do this. Start -> Run -> msinfo32.exe -> File -> Export -> Report.txt and then upload that to somewhere? It'll take awhile to generate.

If you don't have windows, do a "lspci -nn" on Linux and paste that here. :)

Next question is, When you try to install OS X What is your drive partitioned to? Is it the GUID Partition Table or MBR? I'm not too sure about this OS X cannot be installed but i'll try to help you as beast as i can. Sorry if it seems like im asking repetitive questions. I just need to make sure.

Hi Komano,

Thanks for the reply.

I *had* windows. I attempted an OSX install using a method mentioned elsewhere. I partitioned the HDD with GUID partition table. Install was ok. Could boot into the installation using the boot cd. Of course, no Ethernet, no WiFi, no 1366x768 resolution, etc. didnt try sleep/suspend. But sound was working OOTB. And then, I could not boot into the installation after upgrade to 10.6.7 and some auto-patching using a method specified elsewhere. Even with the boot cd I could not boot into OSX.

After that I found this topic which deals specifically with HP Pavilion DV6 which I am using. So, started afresh.

Well, another thing I could try, is to format the HDD using Ubuntu LiveCD and retry.

Any suggestions as to:

- keep the GUID partition table or switch to MBR

- File System to use? not sure if Ubuntu can format drive using that used by Mac OSX.

post-703485-1317460755_thumb.png

Right,

I've decided to go for the lion install from scratch method rather than updating.

there's a dv8 dtst which works perfectly for 10.6.x so I'll use that.

Is there anything else, audio drivers etc which I should back up?

Finally, which guide shall I use to install and will this make my USB stick with sl/cham stuff redundent?

Cheers

Hmmm.

Maybe you want to try Lion?

Hi Komano,

Do you see DV6 being better supported by Lion?

I would have loved to... but $69 for the USB thumbdrive is too steep. And my network isn't fast enough to download the entire Lion image from internet.

Moreover, I have a genuine retail snow leopard, so... I better go with it.

Hello!

Sure!

Sounds like good to work with specifications and shouldn't be too hard to get it working. :(

Well. Could you try extracting your DSDT from an Ubuntu Live CD instead? I would honestly prefer that .

Instructions are here

Once you've gotten it, I could do some DSDT Patches i guess.

Could you take a picture of the kernel panic so i can know what error and maybe deduce it?

Already answered above! :(

Hi Komano

Thank you very much for this!

Here is the acpi dump from Ubuntu live cd

I have included a pic of the screen when it is frozen when i try and install with out -x flag

I will install it with the MIID dvx method from the tutorial (I can only install it with the -x option it seems)

Thank you once again :)

:):D

btw your post made me laugh :D

my post was a tad melodramatic...

Hi Komano

I have included a pic of the screen when it is frozen when i try and install with out -x flag

I will install it with the MIID dvx method from the tutorial (I can only install it with the -x option it seems)

Thank you once again :)

:):D

Here is the KP when i start OS x up with out -x

post-834549-1317474779_thumb.jpg

post-834549-1317476672_thumb.jpg

Hi Komano,

Do you see DV6 being better supported by Lion?

I would have loved to... but $69 for the USB thumbdrive is too steep. And my network isn't fast enough to download the entire Lion image from internet.

Moreover, I have a genuine retail snow leopard, so... I better go with it.

Yes i do. However, an i3-350m shouldn't have any issues with OS X actually. What version of Chameleon are you on?

Hi Komano

Thank you once again :D

:P:D

Here is the KP when i start OS x up with out -x

As usual, What version of the bootloader? What version of OS X? Your ACPI Tables are Blank. There's nothing in there. :/

Okay, so I was able to install lion and now I am trying to boot into it but wjenever I try I kp. I then watched the verbose boot and noticed that as it was reading the hfs files, at one point it stopped and started to get the ebios block errors. I don't rmember exactly what it said but it was error 41

Woopsie, Seemed to have missed that.

EDIT: Actually, Your bootscreen doesn't have that line. ;) It's before.

Try the latest builds.

http://builds.voodooprojects.org/builds/Xcode4.1/

Komano,

of course, the screenshot attached does not have it!

sorry if my statement appeared that way. what i meant was "from the boot screen that appears on my laptop"! :)

Also, do I just replace my MIID's Extra and usr folders with contents from the archive file from the url?

or do I have to do some command-line magic? if so, appreciate if you could point me to the right link/post/article.

and thanks a lot for your replies... its good to know that someone out there is helping in-spite of all the deadlines/time crunch. :(

EDIT: something like below?

~ > cd /Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386

/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386 > ../../bin/fdisk440 -f boot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk2

/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386 > dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s1

/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386 > cp boot /Volumes/MIID/

Komano,

of course, the screenshot attached does not have it!

sorry if my statement appeared that way. what i meant was "from the boot screen that appears on my laptop"! :)

Also, do I just replace my MIID's Extra and usr folders with contents from the archive file from the url?

or do I have to do some command-line magic? if so, appreciate if you could point me to the right link/post/article.

and thanks a lot for your replies... its good to know that someone out there is helping in-spite of all the deadlines/time crunch. ;)

EDIT: something like below?

~ > cd /Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386

/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386 > ../../bin/fdisk440 -f boot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk2

/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386 > dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s1

/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386 > cp boot /Volumes/MIID/

Hi,

I recreated the MIID partition on my thumbdrive. Then executed the following:

mv /Volumes/MIID/Extra /Volumes/MIID/Extra.old

cp -r ~/research/Mammoth/Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1252/Extra /Volumes/MIID

cp -r ~/research/Mammoth/Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1252/usr /Volumes/MIID

cp ~/Downloads/Adam_A_R_1/DSDT.aml /Volumes/MIID/Extra

cp ~/Downloads/Adam_A_R_1/smbios.plist /Volumes/MIID/Extra

cp ~/Downloads/Adam_A_R_1/org.chameleon.Boot.plist /Volumes/MIID

/Volumes/MIID/usr/bin/fdisk440 -f /Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386/boot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk3

dd if=/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3s1

mv /Volumes/MIID/boot /Volumes/MIID/boot.original

cp /Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386/boot /Volumes/MIID/

chmod o+x /Volumes/MIID/boot

I was not able to boot into MIID parition. It always wanted to load the mach_kernel. I got KP when I modified the Boot.plist to load taptun1067_kernel and the taptun1063_kernel. Same with legacy_kernel.

I tried the following boot flags to no avail:

arch=i386

cpus=1

cpus=1 -v

cpus=1 busratio=20

cpus=1 busratio=20 -v

cpus=1 busratio=20 -v -x

cpus=1 busratio=20 -v -x -f

I have attached the KP screen photo.

post-703485-1317500079_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I recreated the MIID partition on my thumbdrive. Then executed the following:

mv /Volumes/MIID/Extra /Volumes/MIID/Extra.old

cp -r ~/research/Mammoth/Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1252/Extra /Volumes/MIID

cp -r ~/research/Mammoth/Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1252/usr /Volumes/MIID

cp ~/Downloads/Adam_A_R_1/DSDT.aml /Volumes/MIID/Extra

cp ~/Downloads/Adam_A_R_1/smbios.plist /Volumes/MIID/Extra

cp ~/Downloads/Adam_A_R_1/org.chameleon.Boot.plist /Volumes/MIID

/Volumes/MIID/usr/bin/fdisk440 -f /Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386/boot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk3

dd if=/Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3s1

mv /Volumes/MIID/boot /Volumes/MIID/boot.original

cp /Volumes/MIID/usr/standalone/i386/boot /Volumes/MIID/

chmod o+x /Volumes/MIID/boot

I was not able to boot into MIID parition. It always wanted to load the mach_kernel. I got KP when I modified the Boot.plist to load taptun1067_kernel and the taptun1063_kernel. Same with legacy_kernel.

I tried the following boot flags to no avail:

arch=i386

cpus=1

cpus=1 -v

cpus=1 busratio=20

cpus=1 busratio=20 -v

cpus=1 busratio=20 -v -x

cpus=1 busratio=20 -v -x -f

I have attached the KP screen photo.

Sorry about that. Got distracted even though i saw your post and was looking at Camera Accesories.

Okay, I believe that you've figured out your issue and you've solved it. Looking at the Kernel Panic, you're having the exact same issue as one of the people im helping to get OS X onto their Envy. I'm not too sure which issue this is tied to so can i request you to check your bios and make sure the Sata Controller is in AHCI mode, HPET in 64bit mode, Virtualization Enabled, Graphics set to Discrete Graphics. If your bios doesn't have all this, it doesn't matter. But if it does, would you please set them? Could you show me the KP with the legacy kernel? Also, Your DV6 definitely supports 64bit. Could you put the legacy kernel and try "legacy_kernel -v arch=x86_64 cpus=1" then try appending -x. The 10.6.3 Installation definitely needs the legacy kernel.

EDIT: Also, is the DSDT in the Extra Folder?

I don't know the Acronym's about MIID, MIIX or etc. Since i don't really follow the way Mammoth explains it in his guide. Personally i find it confusing to have so many Acronym's since they aren't really necessary. But i guess its good for beginners. I don't like using two different partitions to do stuff so i usually do it in the same partition.

EDIT 2:

Any suggestions as to:

- keep the GUID partition table or switch to MBR

- File System to use? not sure if Ubuntu can format drive using that used by Mac OSX.

Woops. Sorry about not answering your questions.

1. Personally i prefer MBR. As i like to Install Windows 7 First then OS X. So i keep MBR and i use MBR patches for the Installation

2. File System to use? for OS X, it's definitely HFS+ ( Mac OS Extended Journaled) and for Windows its NTFS. If you want a great utility for managing the partitions, i would really suggest GParted. I have used it for all sorts of things and its my favourite utility for changing boot flags, partitioning and resizing hard drives.

Right,

I've decided to go for the lion install from scratch method rather than updating.

there's a dv8 dtst which works perfectly for 10.6.x so I'll use that.

Is there anything else, audio drivers etc which I should back up?

Finally, which guide shall I use to install and will this make my USB stick with sl/cham stuff redundent?

Cheers

I seemed to have missed your post!

You should backup all your kext files.

Use MaLd0n's here

Yes it will. You'll have to do it all over again. I hope you know how to "mix" guides.

Sorry about that. Got distracted even though i saw your post and was looking at Camera Accesories.

Okay, I believe that you've figured out your issue and you've solved it. Looking at the Kernel Panic, you're having the exact same issue as one of the people im helping to get OS X onto their Envy. I'm not too sure which issue this is tied to so can i request you to check your bios and make sure the Sata Controller is in AHCI mode, HPET in 64bit mode, Virtualization Enabled, Graphics set to Discrete Graphics. If your bios doesn't have all this, it doesn't matter. But if it does, would you please set them? Could you show me the KP with the legacy kernel? Also, Your DV6 definitely supports 64bit. Could you put the legacy kernel and try "legacy_kernel -v arch=x86_64 cpus=1" then try appending -x. The 10.6.3 Installation definitely needs the legacy kernel.

EDIT: Also, is the DSDT in the Extra Folder?

I don't know the Acronym's about MIID, MIIX or etc. Since i don't really follow the way Mammoth explains it in his guide. Personally i find it confusing to have so many Acronym's since they aren't really necessary. But i guess its good for beginners. I don't like using two different partitions to do stuff so i usually do it in the same partition.

EDIT 2:

Woops. Sorry about not answering your questions.

1. Personally i prefer MBR. As i like to Install Windows 7 First then OS X. So i keep MBR and i use MBR patches for the Installation

2. File System to use? for OS X, it's definitely HFS+ ( Mac OS Extended Journaled) and for Windows its NTFS. If you want a great utility for managing the partitions, i would really suggest GParted. I have used it for all sorts of things and its my favourite utility for changing boot flags, partitioning and resizing hard drives.

I seemed to have missed your post!

You should backup all your kext files.

Use MaLd0n's here

Yes it will. You'll have to do it all over again. I hope you know how to "mix" guides.

Hi Komano,

The DSDT.aml file is in the Extra folder of the boot partition. I have skipped the DSDT.dsl file.

My InSyde bios lets me change only my boot order and power on password, etc. So cant change anything you mentioned.

I have attached the boot and the kernel panic photos with and without -x flag.

I am using the DSDT.aml edited by taptun in post#929.

I figured that I should be choosing the "Mac OSX Install DVD" partition to boot! instead of the MIID partition. So, I copied the Extra folder to the Mac OSX Install DVD partition and copied the legacy_kernel to the root of this partition.

Nevertheless, booting into the "Mac OSX Install DVD" patition, I am not getting KP.

Case1: When not using -x flag. The text flows for a few seconds and I get some sound assertions. Then if I wait long enough (couple of minutes) a light bluish gray background is seen with the mouse near the top left corner. After some time the cursor changes to the color wheel and keeps spinning. I waited for a very long time with this (15-20 minutes) without any change.

Case2: When using -x flag. behaviour is same as without -x. except that the sound assertions do NOT appear.

I have attached the screen capture of the sound assertions and the mouse appearing at the top left hand corner.

I too am a photo enthusiast and an amateur photographer. Which forums are you active on for the photography stuff?

post-703485-1317543804_thumb.jpg

post-703485-1317543822_thumb.jpg

post-703485-1317543833_thumb.jpg

post-703485-1317543845_thumb.jpg

post-703485-1317559910_thumb.jpg

post-703485-1317559920_thumb.jpg

Hi Komano,

The DSDT.aml file is in the Extra folder of the boot partition. I have skipped the DSDT.dsl file.

My InSyde bios lets me change only my boot order and power on password, etc. So cant change anything you mentioned.

I have attached the boot and the kernel panic photos with and without -x flag.

I am using the DSDT.aml edited by taptun in post#929.

I figured that I should be choosing the "Mac OSX Install DVD" partition to boot! instead of the MIID partition. So, I copied the Extra folder to the Mac OSX Install DVD partition and copied the legacy_kernel to the root of this partition.

Nevertheless, booting into the "Mac OSX Install DVD" patition, I am not getting KP.

Case1: When not using -x flag. The text flows for a few seconds and I get some sound assertions. Then if I wait long enough (couple of minutes) a light bluish gray background is seen with the mouse near the top left corner. After some time the cursor changes to the color wheel and keeps spinning. I waited for a very long time with this (15-20 minutes) without any change.

Case2: When using -x flag. behaviour is same as without -x. except that the sound assertions do NOT appear.

I have attached the screen capture of the sound assertions and the mouse appearing at the top left hand corner.

I too am a photo enthusiast and an amateur photographer. Which forums are you active on for the photography stuff?

Okay. Good. You should use that DSDT.

YES! You should have been choosing that instead of the MIID partition! See what i mean when you have too many partitions then you get confused? :P. Actually, the Extra Folder and legacy_kernel can stay in the MIID partition but it doesn't matter.

GOOD! You shouldn't!

I believe the Sound Assertions are from AppleHDA, ignore that for awhile. The mouse appearing on the screen is basically the OS X Installation. Up to this point, there has to be a lot of trial and error and there's not much i can do. Try with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=No. Update your Boot files and etc. I really think you should try Lion. Has improved? driver support i suppose.

I'm usually on ClubSnap but that's for a bit. I'm trying to get my gear together first. I don't even have a bag for my camera.

I've had a look through the 10.7 guide and it seems fairly straightforward.

Would you suggest I follow it to the word or try to keep my chameleon partition separate as I have done in the 10.6.x setup I currently. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either system?

Which guide? lol