10.7 "Lion" in VMware Workstation in Windows 7

146 posts in this topic

Here's where I'm at:

27101441.png

I took the .cdr, put it onto an external hard drive, then attempted to use that .cdr as the image for VMware to boot from. I've read a few people who've had success doing it like that...

Once again can confirm this does not work. VMware have confirmed there is a bug stopping some from booting Lion and have fixed it internally. However that is no guarantee it will be released any time soon.

Confirmed!

VMware Fusion for Mac and guide from http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/

Running 64Bit . Everything working fine except Safari flash.

haha! I accidentally upgraded a 10.6 vm to 10.7, and have discovered it has a version of Flash that is working in Firefox. Safari seems to be a bit of a basket case, but perhaps thats a consequence of the upgrade process?

iLife 08 apps that were installed pretty much all work.

Once again can confirm this does not work. VMware have confirmed there is a bug stopping some from booting Lion and have fixed it internally. However that is no guarantee it will be released any time soon.

I've got my regular hack lion finally working, so back to here. I used the http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/ to get fusion Lion working. Then, I just copied that mac vm to my win7 drive, and after a few failed boots, it just came up in workstation. It's all with Albert's unlocker. So, it does work. I don't know why it took several reboots the first time. The only other thing I did was uninstall workstation, attempt to boot my vm, then install Albert's unlocker, then reboot a few times, then success. So that's it. Maybe it can be duplicated.

Hello,

I've joined my virtual machine template.

Work for me on my laptop core 2 duo T7300 with VM workstation 7.1.3 build-324285 (windows 7 x64 Ultimate)

Ihope it's help!

I tried your vm, what i get is a gray screen with spinning pointer. Mine is a Win7 x64 HP, VM W 7.1.3 on Core i5 460. When i set ich7.present =false it show HOLD the power to shutdown screen , any idea on this

<br />I tried your vm, what i get is a gray screen with spinning pointer. Mine is a Win7 x64 HP, VM W 7.1.3 on Core i5 460. When i set ich7.present =false it show HOLD the power to shutdown screen , any idea on this<br />
<br /><br /><br />

That's a kernel panic. I don't know how to start in verbose mode in Workstation...

got it working , sound not detected.. dgeordgy21 vmimage was used and

used the installer image created as per obviouslogic,.

screen shots :http://s3cur17y.wordpress.com/

Working perfect with the guide from obviouslogic. i have it installed in VMware Fusion on my snow leo hackintosh.

did not test sound yet, i will take a look this night. if only QE/CI would work...

<br />Hello,<br />I've joined my virtual machine template.<br />Work for me on my laptop core 2 duo T7300 with VM workstation 7.1.3 build-324285 (windows 7 x64 Ultimate)<br /><br />Ihope it's help!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Where's the template download?

<br />I know I have asked a couple of times, but would somebody be able to get this to work on Virtualbox?<br /><br />I would really appreciate this.<br /><br />Thank you for your time.<br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />NSCXP2005<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Have you tried anything yet? We're not goin to go out of our way just to help someone in a different program... It's all about experimentation.

I have a problem in virtualBox.

Setting of my vm: OSX 10.6 and

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"/>

I have tried many possibilities for HDD (SATA, IDE, SCSI) but alway the same problem. The boot process stop at the same place:

Sandbox: xpchelper(106) deny distributed-notification-post

I have compared the verbose version with the VMware (using the same ISO file).

For me the problem is the USB controller.

This is correct?? Can somme one help me?! After disabling the USB controller its the same

post-9734-1299710007_thumb.png

Hello,

I've joined my virtual machine template.

Work for me on my laptop core 2 duo T7300 with VM workstation 7.1.3 build-324285 (windows 7 x64 Ultimate)

Ihope it's help!

There *is* at least one *canned* VM out there of Lion. (Yes, it will work in Workstation 7 - in fact, I am *posting* from it running on 7 x64 Ultimate host.) There's no reason it wouldn't work in Fusion (which will be next, since I can't get a USB stick to work so I can run native). You just have to look where you find the usual suspects.

Prerequisites:

Any CPU with hardware virtualization

Any version of VMware from within the past six months (Workstation 7 or Fusion 3 are preferred; however, the server versions do work)

At least 2 GB of RAM on the host (typically, VMware uses half the host's RAM per running guest)

My host hardware:

ASUS P5G41-M LX2/GB (why XPC won't work; I'm having strange issues with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as well)

Intel Celeron DC E3400 (one of three Celeron DCs that supports VT-x, and the only one that Intel has not EOLed)

3 GB DDR2-800 SDRAM (despite the puny RAM footprint on the guest, Lion's no slouch)

I haven't installed the modified VMware Tools yet, as I just got this VM up, and I still have the Fusion tests to run on the Hack side.

(I was running Snow on the E1200 that the E3400 replaced - the big driver for this last CPU upgrade before crossing the silicon walkway (Sandy Bridge) was hardware virtualization - though I am getting a surprising boost from the faster clocking and doubled on-die cache; the memory portion of the WEI went from 4.1 to 5.9, and I didn't change anything as far as the RAM goes. I expected a CPU boost, but the memory boost is icing.)

I've got my regular hack lion finally working, so back to here. I used the http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/ to get fusion Lion working. Then, I just copied that mac vm to my win7 drive, and after a few failed boots, it just came up in workstation. It's all with Albert's unlocker. So, it does work. I don't know why it took several reboots the first time. The only other thing I did was uninstall workstation, attempt to boot my vm, then install Albert's unlocker, then reboot a few times, then success. So that's it. Maybe it can be duplicated.

If you have *upgraded* VMware (either WS or Fusion), to be on the safe side, run the unlocker again. (It's possible that a file was changed back to the defaults in the upgrade process.)

I have a Lion VM (canned, but created with this method) working just fine in WS 7 (7 Ultimate x64 host). Since this is a standard VMware workstation file, you should be able to do just File/Open (from either WS 7/Fusion 3 or later) to kickstart it. If it complains about a mismatch, it should give you two options - that you moved or copied the file. Select copied, then continue.

As soon as I finish this post, I'm off to grab Firefox 4 RC for OS X.

The Fox is loaded successfully (I'm using it to add this PS) and is my default browser for the VM (same as it is with Snow).