10.7 "Lion" in VMware Workstation in Windows 7

146 posts in this topic

No darwin.iso won't work as some pf the internal data structures have changed and until we see 10.7 code not sure it can e fixed (well according to Netkas). You need to use the EFI BIOS option and .ollow the unlocker thread I posted earlier, but as of speaking I can't get it to work on Workstation 7.1.

EFI Boot? How do I get that working? Google doesn't help.

I'm still extremely lost as to how you guys are getting Lion to boot in VMware Workstation... I've gone through all the steps to make my own installer image, but getting it to boot is what I don't understand. Burn it to a DVD? Still, how would you get it to boot? Darwin? XPC? Chameleon? The EFI BIOS thing that I still don't get either?

EFI Boot? How do I get that working? Google doesn't help.

I'm still extremely lost as to how you guys are getting Lion to boot in VMware Workstation... I've gone through all the steps to make my own installer image, but getting it to boot is what I don't understand. Burn it to a DVD? Still, how would you get it to boot? Darwin? XPC? Chameleon? The EFI BIOS thing that I still don't get either?

Fusion and Workstation have an EFI BIOS built in to boot Mac OS X. Have you read the thread I linked to earlier? It has a tool to patch Workstation to basically give it the Fusion Apple OS settings. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220750. I've spent the best part of 3 years on this forum trying different things and helping people out, and this is the best tool and way forward.

Secondly use MSoK's link of links to have a look at the background to the work we have been doing here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=243274. It will help you understand what is possible.

Once I get something reusable I will post instructions but nothing I have tried including stuff here, on the web and from Apple forums is 100% working.

Fusion and Workstation have an EFI BIOS built in to boot Mac OS X. Have you read the thread I linked to earlier? It has a tool to patch Workstation to basically give it the Fusion Apple OS settings. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220750. I've spent the best part of 3 years on this forum trying different things and helping people out, and this is the best tool and way forward.

Secondly use MSoK's link of links to have a look at the background to the work we have been doing here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=243274. It will help you understand what is possible.

Once I get something reusable I will post instructions but nothing I have tried including stuff here, on the web and from Apple forums is 100% working.

Actually think I have found the way at least on Fusion using the actually installation app. I will post as soon as I can confirm it again and will also try on Workstation. It is evening here in UK so will be tomorrow before I will post again.

Actually think I have found the way at least on Fusion using the actually installation app. I will post as soon as I can confirm it again and will also try on Workstation. It is evening here in UK so will be tomorrow before I will post again.

I did. I used the Workstation activator that you've previously provided. There's absolutely nothing different about how my VM work. The usual VMware BIOS screen comes up, then goes to my darwin bootloader that I always have enabled, so that I can boot my SL install.

http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/

This method apparently works for VMWare Fusion on OS X. I would try it, and I probably will, but my only concern is dealing with the nvram problem the guide discusses. In any case, I hope this helps everyone!

PS: This is not my guide, I found it on MacRumors. I will let you know if I succeed.

This method don't work, when i add

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

and change

smc.present = "TRUE" -> "FALSE"

it start boot, and show me pre desktop gray screen and rainbow T_T

Attention:

"http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware" none need when you try start on VMVare Fusion, get similar result (grey screen and rainbow spin cursor) when change smc to False ;)

just need:

- lion.nvram ( change smc to False, because it write about my VM is not a Apple Mac OS X 10.6 Server)

- InstallESD.dmg

No, there's quite a few reasons why that guide is good and legit.

This method don't work, when i add

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

and change

smc.present = "TRUE" -> "FALSE"

it start boot, and show me pre desktop gray screen and rainbow T_T

Method works perfect on lates Mac OS X with latest VMware Fusion. What are you talking about?

I did. I used the Workstation activator that you've previously provided. There's absolutely nothing different about how my VM work. The usual VMware BIOS screen comes up, then goes to my darwin bootloader that I always have enabled, so that I can boot my SL install.

Then you're doing something wrong. Please read Donk's thread about installing OS X in Workstation. Most of us here who managed to get it running on both Fusion and VMware Fusion have tried for hours, days to read, learn and study the thread. It's not going to work over night. : )

ArticRift explained secondary way which should work as well, few posts before donk.

I made this thread. I've read every post. NOTHING explains how to boot it up. I've done several installs of 10.4/10.5/10.6 in Workstation, all with success. Lion is obviously providing a lot of trouble, of which I can't figure it out.

My main issue is with booting the new image I made! Nothing explains how to. Am I supposed to burn it to a DVD! I obviously can't mount the DMG in Workstation, so that's not going to work.

See? Nothing explains how to boot it, and with what bootloader, as Darwin won't work.

I guess I'll try making 2 new virtual partitions: 1 to restore my new DMG onto, and another to install to, and hope that it somehow gets booted.

I made this thread. I've read every post. NOTHING explains how to boot it up. I've done several installs of 10.4/10.5/10.6 in Workstation, all with success. Lion is obviously providing a lot of trouble, of which I can't figure it out.

My main issue is with booting the new image I made! Nothing explains how to. Am I supposed to burn it to a DVD! I obviously can't mount the DMG in Workstation, so that's not going to work.

See? Nothing explains how to boot it, and with what bootloader, as Darwin won't work.

I guess I'll try making 2 new virtual partitions: 1 to restore my new DMG onto, and another to install to, and hope that it somehow gets booted.

I can't get that to work on Workstation and have been trying different things for most of the week. I can use the original application "Install Mac OS X .app" from Apple Store to do it on Fusion, and am now trying that route on Workstation. I can also take the installed Lion VM from Fusion and run it on Workstation so it is compatible, just need to find a way to install.

I can't get that to work on Workstation and have been trying different things for most of the week. I can use the original application "Install Mac OS X .app" from Apple Store to do it on Fusion, and am now trying that route on Workstation. I can also take the installed Lion VM from Fusion and run it on Workstation so it is compatible, just need to find a way to install.

Similarly I built a machine on Fusion and I've been running it on Workstation for 2 days, using the guides and files from:

and

I spent most of yesterday trying to build a new Lion machine from scratch with Workstation, using both the MyInstaller image file created in the obviouslogic process and a dvd burnt from it. I could get neither to successfully boot and install in the Mac OS X 10.6 Server VM created by Workstation.

My thought is that the Workstation built VM treats both the virtual dvd drive and iso as IDE, where the Fusion VM defaults them as SCSI.

I went ahead and restored the "MyInstaller" thing to a new partition. Won't boot. Just reboots the VM. Last thing I see is "Starting Darwin/x86" or something.

Using the SL kernel, I still get the usual kernel panic:

capturesmk.png

So I still don't understand how people are getting it to boot in Workstation, as nobody has mentioned what bootloader they're using.

I went ahead and restored the "MyInstaller" thing to a new partition. Won't boot. Just reboots the VM. Last thing I see is "Starting Darwin/x86" or something.

Using the SL kernel, I still get the usual kernel panic:

So I still don't understand how people are getting it to boot in Workstation, as nobody has mentioned what bootloader they're using.

Because they create the Lion bootable image from this guide http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/ and then create a VM in Workstation. Create image in VM of Snow Leopard if you don't have hackintosh...

If you follow this guide, http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/, you will get CDR image instead of DMG. You can burn it with ImgBurn or smiliar. then just mount DVD.

How did you create current lion image?

Because they create the Lion bootable image from this guide http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/ and then create a VM in Workstation. Create image in VM of Snow Leopard if you don't have hackintosh...

If you follow this guide, http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/, you will get CDR image instead of DMG. You can burn it with ImgBurn or smiliar. then just mount DVD.

How did you create current lion image?

I used that tutorial there. It was posted last week, and I immediately made an image.

I just don't see how it's going to boot...

I used that tutorial there. It was posted last week, and I immediately made an image.

I just don't see how it's going to boot...

Did you use VMware unlocker on VMware Workstation? Did you copy / paste nvram?

What is it that you think it's wrong?

Yes, I've done all that quite a while ago. It simply will not boot, as the VM will either restart or get a KP.

Nobody has yet to say what bootloader they're using for Workstation...

OH! I see what you guys are doing now! Ha, took me long enough.

The unlocked uses the virtual EFI to boot Mac OS X stuff natively, and here I am still trying to use third-party bootloader (Darwin, XPC, Chameleon).

I'll mount the .cdr with Daemon Tools, and I'll just use the virtual drive as the one VMware should use.

Yes, I've done all that quite a while ago. It simply will not boot, as the VM will either restart or get a KP.

Nobody has yet to say what bootloader they're using for Workstation...

OH! I see what you guys are doing now! Ha, took me long enough.

The unlocked uses the virtual EFI to boot Mac OS X stuff natively, and here I am still trying to use third-party bootloader (Darwin, XPC, Chameleon).

I'll mount the .cdr with Daemon Tools, and I'll just use the virtual drive as the one VMware should use.

I can confirm I can't get that tutorial to work either. Now I have a different solution which worked once and then didn't by directly booting the Install ESD.dmg. Getting closer but is frustrating as this stuff seems very picky about what happens during the boot.

I finally got it to work. I don't know what happened. After I got my fusion lion vm working, I copied the vmx to windows to boot in workstation. I tried for two days, now for some reason, it just comes up. I guess it was your success that encouraged me to keep trying. Thank you. Off topic.the xpc,[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] hack methods for straight hackintosh installation here are not working. Have you tried them. Is there a successfull method you've tried?, Thanks, johnm

I finally got it to work. I don't know what happened. After I got my fusion lion vm working, I copied the vmx to windows to boot in workstation. I tried for two days, now for some reason, it just comes up. I guess it was your success that encouraged me to keep trying. Thank you. Off topic.the xpc,[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] hack methods for straight hackintosh installation here are not working. Have you tried them. Is there a successfull method you've tried?, Thanks, johnm

I have successfully installed from within SL using the full Install Mac OS X application on Fusion and Workstation. I was trying to confirm the use of the DMG file but I have never got it working.

Yay, great job! Nah, I haven't had time to try proper non virtualized hackintosh... Although I've seen some guides of it here on insanelymac. Actually I cannot find the guide anymore, or am I just blind.

For me it makes sense to use the .cdr iamge created on Mac OS via this guide http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/ on real machine. Just copy myhack or any plain chameleon on it?

I have successfully installed from within SL using the full Install Mac OS X application on Fusion and Workstation. I was trying to confirm the use of the DMG file but I have never got it working.

Which DMG file? Did you extract BaseSystem.dmg to new image, cdr?

Yay, great job! Nah, I haven't had time to try proper non virtualized hackintosh... Although I've seen some guides of it here on insanelymac. Actually I cannot find the guide anymore, or am I just blind.

For me it makes sense to use the .cdr iamge created on Mac OS via this guide http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/ on real machine. Just copy myhack or any plain chameleon on it?

Which DMG file? Did you extract BaseSystem.dmg to new image, cdr?

Yes and it didn't work for me. I'm not too bothered as I can use the real Apple approved method in VMware to do it.

Oh I forgot, NDA stuff ; )

Not really I mean it is possible to just run the "Install Mac OS X" application and install it, You just need to select the right boot files in the VMware EFI BIOS to complete the install. I am going to do it again and will post the important screenshot here.

I tried to burn the .cdr image to a DVD, but the image is too big... So, I restored all of the files to a new folder, and burned everything in that folder to a DVD. VMware isn't booting it. It just skips it and says "Boot Failed".

Unless there's a way to shrink the size of the .cdr, I'm out of ideas.

I tried to burn the .cdr image to a DVD, but the image is too big... So, I restored all of the files to a new folder, and burned everything in that folder to a DVD. VMware isn't booting it. It just skips it and says "Boot Failed".

Unless there's a way to shrink the size of the .cdr, I'm out of ideas.

I created the empty image file 4.7gb (not 5gb), so it fits. Won't the the 5gb file burn to a DVD DL ?

<br />I created the empty image file 4.7gb (not 5gb), so it fits. Won't the the 5gb file burn to a DVD DL ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I don't have dual-layer DVDs, nor will I just because of this.

I'll just remake my image but with a 4.7GB .cdr instead of the 5GB one like the guide mentioned.

No, there's quite a few reasons why that guide is good and legit.

Method works perfect on lates Mac OS X with latest VMware Fusion. What are you talking about?

I don't state that the method doesn't work, I tell that result of loading with InstallESD.dmg and MyInstaller.cdr same, it is the gray screen and an iridescent wheel :)

Besides at me costs VMVare Fusion 3.1.2, or you have something is newest?

Then I spoke that from a manual took lion.nvram, and he swore on that that at me not Apple MacOSX 10.6 Server GUEST!!!!

Can you upload work GUEST, without an image of the system????

Then you're doing something wrong. Please read Donk's thread about installing OS X in Workstation. Most of us here who managed to get it running on both Fusion and VMware Fusion have tried for hours, days to read, learn and study the thread. It's not going to work over night. : )

ArticRift explained secondary way which should work as well, few posts before donk.

If you say, add link to THIS manual )