10.7 "Lion" in VMware Workstation in Windows 7

146 posts in this topic

I'm working on getting the preview edition of 10.7 in VMware workstation. I'm using my existing 10.6.6 installation to install it onto a separate virtual partition.

I can't figure out how to get it to boot the Lion partition, as the file system is just one single folder:

lion07.png

I've moved the com.Apple.boot.plist file from /Mac OS X Install Data to /Library/Preferences/System/Configuration, but it keeps booting my actual SL partition instead of my Lion partition.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I'm working on getting the preview edition of 10.7 in VMware workstation. I'm using my existing 10.6.6 installation to install it onto a separate virtual partition.

I can't figure out how to get it to boot the Lion partition, as the file system is just one single folder:

I've moved the com.Apple.boot.plist file from /Mac OS X Install Data to /Library/Preferences/System/Configuration, but it keeps booting my actual SL partition instead of my Lion partition.

Any comments will be appreciated.

It isn't working at present. I may have an idea on a way forward on this but bit worried about discussing as under Apple's NDA.

It isn't working at present. I may have an idea on a way forward on this but bit worried about discussing as under Apple's NDA.

Screw NDAs. Want to PM?

I've been trying out various kernel and AppleACPIPlatform.kext files (keep getting kernel panics because of that).

Also, if I don't try anything special, the VM will automatically restart at something about EFI_runtime returned 0, starting darwin/x86 or something like that (which is sort of normal).

Screw NDAs. Want to PM?

I've been trying out various kernel and AppleACPIPlatform.kext files (keep getting kernel panics because of that).

Also, if I don't try anything special, the VM will automatically restart at something about EFI_runtime returned 0, starting darwin/x86 or something like that (which is sort of normal).

Tried creating a bootable Lion installation drive from a message on Apple Developer forums. However that doesn't work either. The new sandbox is stopping the boot. This is Workstation 7.1.3. Will try on real iMac with Fusion 3.1.2 tomorrow.

Tried creating a bootable Lion installation drive from a message on Apple Developer forums. However that doesn't work either. The new sandbox is stopping the boot. This is Workstation 7.1.3. Will try on real iMac with Fusion 3.1.2 tomorrow.

I tried using my kernel from 10.6.6, and it eventually gave me a kernel panic regarding AppleACPIPlatform (can't find driver for platform), which would be expected I suppose.

I tried using my kernel from 10.6.6, and it eventually gave me a kernel panic regarding AppleACPIPlatform (can't find driver for platform), which would be expected I suppose.

No go on VMware Fusion 3.1.2 on mid-2010 iMac. Get CPU disabled messages on both Workstation and Fusion.

<br /><br /><br />

There's something you have to add to your VM configuration file to fix the CPU disabled messages.

I'm sure netkas will make something soon: http://netkas.org/?p=609

I have spent 3 years working on this stuff and 11 years with VMware products, and never made it go away with a VMX entry! :P But I would love to find a setting which solved the problem as been seen in other OS such as Solaris over the years. I have got a better understanding on what happens when you run the application to install, and think it is to do with the kernalcache used in the new com.apple.Boot.plist. Not sure if I can alter that though as seems to use new parameters as well which I haven't seen in SL.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Cache</key>
<string>/Mac OS X Install Data/kernelcache</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>container-dmg=file:///Mac%20OS%20X%20Install%20Data/InstallESD.dmg root-dmg=file:///BaseSystem.dmg</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have spent 3 years working on this stuff and 11 years with VMware products, and never made it go away with a VMX entry! :P But I would love to find a setting which solved the problem as been seen in other OS such as Solaris over the years. I have got a better understanding on what happens when you run the application to install, and think it is to do with the kernalcache used in the new com.apple.Boot.plist. Not sure if I can alter that though as seems to use new parameters as well which I haven't seen in SL.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Cache</key>
<string>/Mac OS X Install Data/kernelcache</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>container-dmg=file:///Mac%20OS%20X%20Install%20Data/InstallESD.dmg root-dmg=file:///BaseSystem.dmg</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Adding the following to my .vmx file fixed it:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

Adding the following to my .vmx file fixed it:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

I am such an idiot forgot the work I did on this with MSoK http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1551966?

Can you post a vmware.log file so I can look at a the virtual and real CPUIDs please?

The issue is that you can't use that for all CPUs, such as my laptops C2D.

(My only excuse is I have a rotten cold and feeling pretty rough!)

<br />I am such an idiot forgot the work I did on this with MSoK <a href="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232183&st=0&p=1551966&#entry1551966" target="_blank">http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1551966</a>?<br /><br />Can you post a vmware.log file so I can look at a the virtual and real CPUIDs please?<br /><br />The issue is that you can't use that for all CPUs, such as my laptops C2D.<br /><br />(My only excuse is I have a rotten cold and feeling pretty rough!)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Will do in a bit.

My 2630QM and my 10.6.6 VM seem to work fine after adding that to the VMX.

So has anyone found anything on running lion in a vmware fusion?

So has anyone found anything on running lion in a vmware fusion?

I haven't managed it yet and haven't found anything including from VMware.

Hehe I know it was off topic, but it was just a side-note for a quick vanilla disk. It comes in handy.

Too bad it isn't working. My dream of lion server in ESXi was blown away when vmware fusion couldn't boot it on my mac or in vmware workstation (linux).

I made a quick tutorial on how to install the XPC bootloader onto a USB flash drive: http://jailbreakzone.com/2011/02/28/how-to...to-a-usb-drive/

When I boot it, after the red writing shows up (Welcome to EFI world or something), my screen just leaves the cursor in the upper-left and does nothing.

Works perfectly on my MacBook Pro :\... Goes instantly to the drive/partition selection screen (that's where I took the pic from).

<br />Meh, Same issue here. On my gigabyte MacHack some weird red characters.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The red characters are normal.

In my VM, it goes to some "duet" screen, but it never detects the virtual HDD or even the USB drive it's booting off of.

Oh well. The waiting game continues.

http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/

This method apparently works for VMWare Fusion on OS X. I would try it, and I probably will, but my only concern is dealing with the nvram problem the guide discusses. In any case, I hope this helps everyone!

PS: This is not my guide, I found it on MacRumors. I will let you know if I succeed.