ITunes

Guest User Name

33 posts in this topic

Guest User Name

Has anyone got iTunes working yet? I have everything working on my machine so far except for the music. Is there a player out there that is compiled for OSx86?? Any player at all?

Guest User Name

I hope those that aremore talanted than me are working on a solution to get some more apps working. If they got a couple more key apps working and fixed the pos safari from crashing, i might just switch totally.

I used the patches from Maxxuss SSE2 to SSE3 Allinclussive and now OSX freexes at boot. I can boot to safe mode, but iTunes still does not run. Anyone have any clues?

Yes, safe boot disables audio. Boot up normal should work fine.

Another thing find the SpeedBoost tip and remove the file instructed speeds up things dramatically and also stopped the mandatory reboots, I have been running for over 6 hours with Itunes playing the whole time

I have no problems not running in safe boot on a thinkpad r40 at 2.2ghz

Ok, so you all are talking about "patching" OSx86 to work on SSE2 so that iTunes will work on older chips. So what about the people that have SSE3 chips? Doesn't Rosetta rely on SSE3? ( Natively )So that iTunes and other programs are to actually work? I have been tryin' - really - to find out how to do this. All that I have seen points to either a.) you need to do the patch. b.) you have to "tell" the OS to detect SSE3. wtf and you do this how? Can someone point me, at least, in the direction that I need to find this?

Many thanks!

PS For give me for posting this in this forum ( if it's wrong ), but it does pertain to iTunes.

:Edit: I do have the dev DVD and a AMD64 3700+ SSE3

:Edit: Ok i found this link - http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=719

finally

Thanks anyway

So iTunes is a PPC app? Just wondering if you can get the 4.9 on the website.

I was wondering since it uses almost no CPU (like under 3% at all times) when playing MP3s on my 2.8 P4 w/SSE3.

Well, I have it set to use SSE3 fine, so Rosetta works great. But I was just wondering if the default iTunes w/the X86 OSX we have is x86 or ppc...

EDIT: nm, show info says it is PPC. If so, I'm impress how fast it is. Off I go to get 4.9.

Edited by cyrana

I think itunes may crash because it dosent detect a sound card,

just a thought because I got hte maxxuss .4 patches and the dvd program loads up untill it gives me an error about a dvd drive, Itunes just hangs, Im asumming that it is correctly patched I just dotn have the hardware

I was incorrect! Playing from the little preview pane in the finder does almost no CPU. I just double checked, and iTunes itself uses like 12-18%.

So yeah, I'd say if you get down to 20% CPU or so you're doing pretty well. (onboard 'soundmax' on a 915G board here).

I was incorrect!  Playing from the little preview pane in the finder does almost no CPU.  I just double checked, and iTunes itself uses like 12-18%.

So yeah, I'd say if you get down to 20% CPU or so you're doing pretty well. (onboard 'soundmax' on a 915G board here).

Awesome! Thanks, I spent hours trying to optimize my system only to get it down to 16-18% while playing :D

Even when using 20% CPU it is still stable - hell i"m suprised that I can load up the CPU but the UI still remains responsive and I can load more apps - OSX rocks!

Gigabyte 8i915G Duo

P4 531 Prescott 3GHz (also tried at 3.6GHz)

i915G graphics

C-media 9880 audio (Intel Azalia HD audio)

DVD install + oah750 patch + also removed tpmacpi with no effect

iTunes uses 60-80% CPU and sound breaks up. If I disable hyperthreading, sound plays okay if there are no apps in the background - iTunes uses 100% CPU and even iTunes itself becomes unresponsive until the MP3 finishes playing.

What gives?

once again celeron is good to run osx86

with a celeron D 325 j

itunes use 20 pourcent.

Your post is a bit nonsensical. Obviously he is configured poorly somehow, no way a Celeron will beat an SSE3 P4 at the same clockspeed.

Gigabyte 8i915G Duo

P4 531 Prescott 3GHz (also tried at 3.6GHz)

i915G graphics

C-media 9880 audio (Intel Azalia HD audio)

DVD install + oah750 patch + also removed tpmacpi with no effect

iTunes uses 60-80% CPU and sound breaks up.  If I disable hyperthreading, sound plays okay if there are no apps in the background - iTunes uses 100% CPU and even iTunes itself becomes unresponsive until the MP3 finishes playing.

What gives?

I haven't tried the DD install. Does it use the SSE3 CoreGraphics file? I have deadmoo here with only CoreGraphics replaced with original and the TPM file deleted... 12-18% CPU on average w/2.8GHz SSE3 P4.