10.6.5 legacy kernel for INTEL/AMD 32+64bit ready to download by qoopz/nawcom/AnV/BlackKnight/mucha - a few new features

Andy Vandijck

143 posts in this topic

This is one of the random KP happen to me today. While I'm doing nothing other than playing iTunes and opening up Finder.

f490.jpg

Did you check and make sure unlocking caused the instability, or not? Because it looks for be Cpu core 3(2) causing your kernel panic.

@ Snerler, sounds like tsc skew, what cpu do you have?

Hi,

works great with my Pentium D!

Nonetheless, one thing remaining. VMWare Fusion keeps crashing with kernel panic.

Running with kernel flags arch=i386 -force64 due to some 32bit drivers.

Worked fine with 10.6.3.

Any ideas?

Help would be appriciated very much.

Thanks a lot

Well how am I suppose to know when its gonna happen again? haha. Well on my PC this clock are the most stable after 24/7 testing, and i even clocked it down a little for the sake stability. I will try clock it down a little more later. And check it out. I just back from another KP btw. :D

This is the latest xnu release:

- Supports everything the previous legacy kernel support

+ 64bit working kernel (Intel/AMD) thanks to Azimutz

New V2:

+ VMWare and Mac model override fix thanks to Nawcom

+ Removed bad (causing reset) routines from x86_64 kernel (smaller kernel advantage)

Download (V2):

http://rapidshare.com/files/433298253/lega...l_10.6.5_V2.zip

Source diff (V2):

http://rapidshare.com/files/433298660/lega....17-v2.diff.zip

I decided to repost the amd instruction patcher

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/432036976/amd_insn_patcher.zip

hey guy.

sound stupid but i don't know what to do with these files. :blink:

i was update my kernel with the package installer from nawcom. but it is the V1, i think. so there is no fix for the arch=x86_64.. so i get an kernel panic even i want to boot in 64bit mod.

so. is there an package installer from V2 or what is to do with these files above?

please help

Hi mixmux

assuming you are working with Chameleon as bootloader, you can try the following

Look into com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra for the kernel you use, i.g. mach_kernel, legacy_kernel

get root rights, i.e. sudo -s

Make a backup of your kernel, i.g. cp mach_kernel mach_kernel_old (use corresponding names you find in your com.apple.Boot.plist)

download first file, move/copy mach_kernel to appropriate location, i.e. /, i.e. appropriate name

Reboot

If anything goes wrong, you can always boot the old kernel typing mach_kernel_old at chameleon boot prompt

Hope it helps

Ciao

I have the dual core AMD 4200. What can I do to correct it?

Happened on my Amd x2 5600+, so I bought an AMD Athlon II X3 to fix it, or just use one core but of course both of those options isn't viable for you(unless you want your computer to slow down dramatically) and a new cpu may even need a new mobo too. use this kernel and You'll need 10.6.4 usb kexts for usb to work.(Use kext utility to install)

@knueppler:

thx for quick responding. (are you german, because of the name. if its tru, do you can send me this description in german because my english is very well...?)

i will try it c;

posting if i have succeed^^

mixmux

edit:

so. i was testing it. i named the match_kernel to legacy_kernel, because in boot.plist its called so. and beside i can't edit the mach_kernel, because it's invisible o0

i reboot -> in normal mod it works normally. but if i want to try arch=x86_64 i get the typical error....

i'm using an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Processor.. and arch=i386 -force64 doesn't work... (in system Profiler is said NO :q)

i'm using an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Processor.. and arch=i386 -force64 doesn't work... (in system Profiler is said NO :q)

-force64 does not make you run a 64bit kernel, it only allows you to run 64bit code.

Most macs boot into 32bit as well to preserve compatibility so you have essentialy the same functionality.  

Also you should learn to use the terminal:)

Sadly on my AMD Phenom II x4,

it panics randomly even in 32-bits mode (booting with arch=i386 ; either with/without -force64)

Warning: invalid kernel IP, wont attempt to handle trap

I've been getting it randomly inside VirtualBOX VM. The cure was to use only one CPU. So, this might be multi CPU related bug. AFAIRK, there were a kernel boot option that allowed to limit kernel to use only specified number of CPUs. Try to use it to limit your OSx86 to one core and check if the random kernel panic disappears.

-force64 does not make you run a 64bit kernel, it only allows you to run 64bit code.

Most macs boot into 32bit as well to preserve compatibility so you have essentialy the same functionality.  

Also you should learn to use the terminal:)

okay. but what sense it haves. i want real 64 bit. :q

does it mean i can't boot in 64 bit? o0

maybe. before mac i was working with linux, too. so there i know much. but i think on a mac it is a bit different. :q

is there any starter-guide for terminal for the most importend commands?

mixmux

hey guy.

sound stupid but i don't know what to do with these files. ;)

i was update my kernel with the package installer from nawcom. but it is the V1, i think. so there is no fix for the arch=x86_64.. so i get an kernel panic even i want to boot in 64bit mod.

so. is there an package installer from V2 or what is to do with these files above?

please help

Read my comments on what I fixed up. It includes the model fix, and i added AnV's additional x86_64 fix as well. So it's the same as v2. I personally don't think there's enough changes to call it v2 since they were more of a little thing that was missed for the initial release, but that is just me.

Don't boot in x86_64 yet if this is for an AMD processor. Stay with 64 bit userspace for now.

Don't boot in x86_64 yet if this is for an AMD processor. Stay with 64 bit userspace for now.

He's absolutely right... :)

coz I still can't get passed this KP when using the "arch=x86_64" either with/without "-force64" :)

Anv's kernel:

x8664kp.gif

nawcom's kernel:

x8664nawcomkp.gif

And I also noticed that both Anv's & nacom's kernels reported similar errors related to the AppleACPIPlatform :

x8664error.gif

@ AMD users: just be patient guys ;)

@ Anv & nawacom: Please keep up the excellent work -- You guys are great!!! THANK YOU

Read my comments on what I fixed up. It includes the model fix, and i added AnV's additional x86_64 fix as well. So it's the same as v2. I personally don't think there's enough changes to call it v2 since they were more of a little thing that was missed for the initial release, but that is just me.

I'm on AMD and i us x86_64 in my bootflag and got no problem. If i use -force64 I can load up but a lot of my software will crash. :)

I'm on AMD and i us x86_64 in my bootflag and got no problem. If i use -force64 I can load up but a lot of my software will crash. :D

Please excuse me for asking a silly question :)

Are you really able to boot with the "arch=x86_64" ?

Is the 64-bits mode really working on an AMD machine ?

I know that it'll work with the "arch=i386 -force64" ;)

If you don't mind...

Please, show us a screenshot of your "System Profiler | System Software Overview"

We just want to know the status of the "64-bit Kernel and Extensions", if it is "YES" or "NO"

I guess it should be "YES" coz with the "arch=i386 -force64", the status is "NO"

And could you also do a test by running the 64-bit version of Geekbench ?

(www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench)

FYI, with the "arch=i386 -force64", both 64 & 32-bits apps work like a charm

Thanks in advance :)

It says no. Does it mean I'm not load into x86_64?

but in my com.apple.Boot.plist have the bootflag. perhaps not working :D

Thanks for replying :)

So maybe it's still in 32-bit mode :D

Just to make it sure,

is the 64-bit version of Geekbench able to run on your AMD with "arch=x86_64" ?

I even typed it myself during the boot, still showing no. I guess still in 32-bit then.

If I run with arch=i386 -force64 do i need to patch anything in order to make my software work and not crashing?

I can't eve run Geekbench. it keep crashing and crashing. When i checked the log there's a line say KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000000a

He's absolutely right... :D

coz I still can't get passed this KP when using the "arch=x86_64" either with/without "-force64" :)

Anv's kernel:

x8664kp.gif

nawcom's kernel:

x8664nawcomkp.gif

And I also noticed that both Anv's & nacom's kernels reported similar errors related to the AppleACPIPlatform :

x8664error.gif

@ AMD users: just be patient guys :rolleyes:

@ Anv & nawacom: Please keep up the excellent work -- You guys are great!!! THANK YOU

Good Night Everyone just after some intense googling and testing found that KP related to ACPI like screens you were posting is related to SleepEnabler in my extra folder. Actually changed to the last version found, designed for 10.5.0 and no more KP, booting in arch=x86_64, 64 bit Kernel and Extensions shows YES and almost everything works like a charm, small issues with mouse double-clicking (on his own).

I post the kext as I'm unable to remember where I downloaded it from.

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

I even typed it myself during the boot, still showing no. I guess still in 32-bit then.

If I run with arch=i386 -force64 do i need to patch anything in order to make my software work and not crashing?

I can't eve run Geekbench. it keep crashing and crashing. When i checked the log there's a line say KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000000a

The easiest way is running the nawcom's kernel installer package

then run: sudo update_dyld_shared_cache and do the repair disk permissions

If there were still CPUIDs left to patch, this could be done using either the Maxxus Patcher GUI or the amd_insn_patcher

but I think the nawcom's script has already done that for us ;)

Good Night Everyone just after some intense googling and testing found that KP related to ACPI like screens you were posting is related to SleepEnabler in my extra folder. Actually changed to the last version found, designed for 10.5.0 and no more KP, booting in arch=x86_64, 64 bit Kernel and Extensions shows YES and almost everything works like a charm, small issues with mouse double-clicking (on his own).

I post the kext as I'm unable to remember where I downloaded it from.

Luckily for you :)

btw, which cpu do you have mate ?

Unfortunately, I don't have any SleepEnabler.kext in either S/L/E or E/E folder

I've already removed it coz I thought I wouldn't need it while running the osx on my desktop pc

FYI, I've also removed all AppleIntel related kexts, ie. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and also AppleHPET.kext & AppleHWSensor.kext

coz I thought they all wouldn't do any good on my AMD machine

I tried to install your SleepEnabler.kext (in either S/L/E or E/E) and I already did the fix permissions and rebuild kext caches things,

but I still got the same AppleACPIPlatform KP on arch=x86_64 :(

So I guess I just have to wait a little bit longer for a better kernel... I hope so :)

hmm okay.

the 64bit-problem is not the biggest problem for me...

i have a real problem with the IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor...

even i want to try to install an app or run aperture it crash after a while. A panic called this:

getPhysicalSegment...out of 32b range (probably i want to try it in 4 bit but there is the other brobelm)......nawcom/XNU..../IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor... (Sorry for bad description. i will upload a photo soon.) I googel it fore some times but i only can find older posts from last years, without a solution... 

please help

mixmux