NeoOffice Aqua Beta d/l link

lounger540

17 posts in this topic

I understand that the NeoOffice ppl prefer that you don't post the suite while they are still collecting 'beta' early access donations but they do have links and instructions to build, ala. it's GPL'd. It's a long process and so I am posting the binaries I built in case any one else out there really wants to test the non X11 OO.o before the end of August and can't afford to buy the beta. College kids gotta eat in the summer some how ya know.

Download site

I make no promises that it will actually run. This is Intel only and works on my MBP.

Update: The aqua builds are available straight from neooffice so go grab those instead.

Rocket, I was having some issues with my server. I hadn't used it in a while and had some cob webs to clean out. In light, I did restart Apache a couple times, so maybe you d.l got cut off. Check the md5

MD5 (NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta-Intel.dmg) = 3dffae077478a6afd3868b3265826836

The server is completely locked up somewhere in boot sequence now, i'm looking for another server some where i can host it til I can get to the box.

I hate neo office. Ran like {censored} on my Old Mac Mini and runs like {censored} now. It is a great project, but being made with java slows it down. Openoffice needs to just make the interface non X11 and do it right, but oh well.

That's why there is a Beta Version of NeoOffice Aqua, Because they want to get rid off the X11 interface.

OpenOffice is writtin in Java. NeoOffice compiles against their code, but they use C++(Carbon & Cocoa) and Java I believe for the GUI/OS X code.

They have a thread here http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?n...opic&t=2807

I used an old version on a G5 iMac when they first came out and it was dog {censored} slow, but this build is pretty damn snappy. Even opens faster then Oo.o and MS Office under Rosetta, which would make it the best available choice. Obviously when the next MS Office comes out as a UB that will be the best available and most expensive. :)

So, is it really better than M$ Office? I really hate how it runs under Rosetta... Can someone please post som screen shots? Or links to them? The download link does not have anything but... Thanks dudes...

Ok, sorry. I got it. Seems cool. How is it running for you guys?

earlyaccesssample.jpg

Just see that the neooffice aqua beta 2 (intel+ppc) is avaible into the NeoOffice Early Access Program.

If someone want to compile it, it would be a great thing !

Otherway, just wait until 29 August 2006 to download it for free... (just two weeks ;-)

Hi,

I read this thread, and I HAD to post, so I joined up!

OpenOffice.org (NeoOffice's parent) is written in C++, not Java. NeoOffice uses 99% of OOo's C++ code. What Java that is used is used to hook to the native Apple-supplied Java-Cocoa and Java-Carbon Aqua interfaces. As Apple makes these interfaces, and Java, faster; so, then, will NeoOffice be faster. Apple already has made Java faster. Apple's Java 1.4 is faster than 1.3 was.

NeoOffice is relatively slow on a Mac 'cause OpenOffice.org is cross-platform (Windows and Linux). There are lots of libraries (code that does a related set of functions) that are different and have to be included in addition to the native libraries, the coding is structured differently than would normally be done with a native Mac program (that causes lots of problems for Patrick and Ed), etc.

I haven't seen a cross-platform app yet that doesn't run slower than a native app. The marvelous aspect of a cross-platform app that runs on a Mac is that it runs at all on a Mac! I'll accept the relative slowness for the features I want. I'm using SeaMonkey 1.0.4 as my browser/mail app because I've switched platforms so many times in my computing life that I want my bookmarks/history/email/profile to transfer with me. It's cheaper on resources than running Firefox/Thunderbird/Nvu separately. And Nvu keeps crashing on me...

I hope this post explains some misconceptions.

I'm using a slow 600 MHz G3 iBook for now until I can afford a MacBook.