Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

Hi @Bungo,

why not upload here your precompiled binary?

Thanks

Micky

Hi Micky1979

Here are screen shots of:

Zeus with OS X system 10.10  on AF HDD selected : attachicon.gifAF HDD.tiff

and

Zeus with USB Installer flash drive selected : attachicon.gifUSB Installer.tiff

thank you sir..

Always 512.. on both AF or non-AF.

What wrote by Zeus is the output from Diskarbitration framenwork and I suspect that your 4K disk is treat  with 512 emulation (512e).. but not sure :( 

Hi,

Can you try my branch v2469 with (IMHO) fix "Unknown Processor"? attachicon.gifboot_v2469_bungo_branch.zip

Also:

- all (found) acpi tables loading - may help with native Power Management - needs testing

- saving all (found) factory acpi tables into IODT:/chosen/acpi

- final procedure for system-type (PM Profile) determining

- added new path for custom acpi tables storing /Extra/ACPI

- loading custom acpi tables if named SSDT-X.aml (X-number < 30)

- few minor changes in log (bdmesg) displaying

THX, Bungo

Thanks Bungo, but with your boot i stack on Apple logo! Can't boot into Yosemite.

Hi @Bungo,

why not upload here your precompiled binary?

Thanks

Micky

thank you sir..

Always 512.. on both AF or non-AF.

What wrote by Zeus is the output from Diskarbitration framenwork and I suspect that your 4K disks is treat  with 512 emulation (512e).. but not sure :( 

Hi Micky,

I have just checked the HDD physical sector size using Linux Terminal commands:

lsblk -o NAME,PHY-SeC

which gives

sda 512

├─sda1 512

├─sda2 512

└─sda3 512

sdb 4096

├─sdb1 4096

├─sdb2 4096

├─sdb3 4096

├─sdb4 4096

├─sdb5 4096

├─sdb6 4096

├─sdb7 4096

├─sdb8 4096

└─sdb9 4096

sdc 512

├─sdc1 512

└─sdc2 512

sdd 4096

├─sdd1 4096

├─sdd2 4096

├─sdd3 4096

├─sdd4 4096

├─sdd5 4096

├─sdd6 4096

├─sdd7 4096

├─sdd8 4096

└─sdd9 4096

sde 4096

├─sde1 4096

└─sde2 4096

sdf 4096

├─sdf1 4096

└─sdf2 4096

sdg 512

├─sdg1 512

├─sdg2 512

├─sdg5 512

├─sdg6 512

├─sdg7 512

└─sdg8 512

sr0 512

zram0 4096

zram1 4096

zram2 4096

zram3 4096

where /dev/sdb is my MBR / OS X partitioned 4K HDD and /dev/sdd is my GPT/OS X partitioned 4K HDD

and so

sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdx | grep -i physical

with x either b or d gives

Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes

I understood that OS X can handle 4096 byte sectors for HDD alignment?

Does Zeus check for physical or logical sector size?

I ask because in terms of the logical sector size, International Disk Drive Equipment and Materials Association (IDEMA) specifies two types of Advanced Format disks:

• 512 Byte emulation (512e) disks have a 512-byte logical sector size. These disks are supported in Windows starting with Windows Vista, and in modern Linux distributions. Microsoft and Western Digital use the term “Advanced Format” exclusively for this type of disk.

• 4K native (4Kn) disks have a 4-KB logical sector size. Modern operating systems can store data on these disks, but they generally cannot boot from these disks. These disks are commonly external drives with USB connection.

Thus for my WD 4K HDDs

sudo parted /dev/sdx print

with x either b or d gives

Model: ATA WDC WD1003FZEX-0 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags

1      1024B   15.1GB  15.1GB  primary   hfs+         boot

2      15.1GB  165GB   150GB   primary   hfs+

3      165GB   315GB   150GB   primary   hfs+

4      315GB   1000GB  685GB   extended

5      315GB   466GB   150GB   logical   hfs+

6      466GB   616GB   150GB   logical   hfs+

7      616GB   766GB   150GB   logical   hfs+

8      766GB   916GB   150GB   logical   hfs+

9      916GB   1000GB  84.3GB  logical   hfs+

and

Model: ATA WDC WD1003FZEX-0 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdd: 1000GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags

1      20.5kB  210MB   210MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot

2      210MB   15.2GB  15.0GB  hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_Boot

3      15.3GB  165GB   150GB   hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1068

4      165GB   315GB   150GB   hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1075

5      316GB   466GB   150GB   hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1085

6      466GB   616GB   150GB   hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1090

7      616GB   765GB   149GB   hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1092

8      766GB   915GB   149GB   hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1010

9      916GB   1000GB  83.9GB  hfs+         WD1TB_GPT_OSX64_1058

Also does Chameleon not interact smoothly with HDD 512e firmware, requiring the physical boot sector size to specified via bs=4096 when writing boot1h to the boot sector using the dd command?

For my mind as logical sector size=512 you have no bother about it.

Actual problems with boot sector related to mounted partitions or BIOS protection of boot sectors.

the "bs=" argument of dd require the sector size, so if we have no bother about it is because a conversion must or should be made by dd?

in this case I use for both Chameleon and Clover a gnudd version that comes from coreutil in the app above named Zeus. (only hoping for a better result)

Hi Micky,

I understood that OS X can handle 4096 byte sectors for HDD alignment?

Does Zeus check for physical or logical sector size?

Also does Chameleon not interact smoothly with HDD 512e firmware, requiring the physical boot sector size to specified via bs=4096 when writing boot1h to the boot sector using the dd command?

Zeus use diskarbitration framenwork, as OSX do too, and show 512 on your AF drives, so is Diskarbitration that show logical sector size...

The secret of the GPT

are not my word,but its an article by Apple here:https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2166/_index.html

• When one GPT structure points to another, it does so via a block number (in the terms used by the specification, this is a logical block address, or LBA). To correlate this to a byte offset (for example, if you're seeking within a device node), you must multiply it by the block size. You can get the block size of a device node by calling ioctl with the DKIOCGETBLOCKSIZE selector (defined in ). Do not assume that the block size is always going to be 512 bytes.

• GPT requires that the partition entry array be at least 16 KB long. For a 512 byte block size, this translates to 32 blocks. For a 4096 byte block size, this is only 4 blocks. This is a minimum value; the partition entry array can be longer.

I need to figure out on how DKIOCGETBLOCKSIZE works to have the real output in OSX too ... I hope :P

Hmm... I can boot into my YDP1. Pls boot in verbose mode.

I tried your boot file but he is stopping to read /Extra/Acpi/DSDT.aml

Going to try with the DSDT in /Extra/..

EDIT

No it stuck again at reading the /Extra/DSDT.aml. I've tried also forcing the path: DSDT=/DSDT.aml using a copy of it placed in the root of Yosemite partition.

For curiosity, you wrote that the new path for patched ACPI table is /Extra/ACPI capital letters, but if I'm not mistaken must be lowercase --> Extra/Acpi because the ACPICodec module already use it...I'm talking nonsense?

EDIT II

The RecoveryHD use the RAID icon....

EDIT III

continuing read the DSDT.aml that I place in the root of yosemite partition w/o specifying the path..   :rofl:

• When one GPT structure points to another, it does so via a block number (in the terms used by the specification, this is a logical block address, or LBA). To correlate this to a byte offset (for example, if you're seeking within a device node), you must multiply it by the block size. You can get the block size of a device node by calling ioctl with the DKIOCGETBLOCKSIZE selector (defined in ). Do not assume that the block size is always going to be 512 bytes.

• GPT requires that the partition entry array be at least 16 KB long. For a 512 byte block size, this translates to 32 blocks. For a 4096 byte block size, this is only 4 blocks. This is a minimum value; the partition entry array can be longer.

I made a tiny command line called "sectorsize" (source included) as suggested by Apple here.

Usage:

sudo /path/to/sectorsize /dev/diskx

my output is obviously:

sector size: 512

Can you try and post the output since you're only one with AF drive here?

If goes well we can try to use gnudd with the real bs="n" to install the boot1h

sectorsize Command.zip

sectorsize Source Code.zip

I tried your boot file but he is stopping to read /Extra/Acpi/DSDT.aml

Going to try with the DSDT in /Extra/..

EDIT

No it stuck at reading the DSDT.aml. I've tried also forcing the path: DSDT=/DSDT.aml using a copy of it placed in the root of Yosemite partition.

For curiosity, you wrote that the new path for patched ACPI table is /Extra/ACPI capital letters, but if I'm not mistaken must be lowercase --> Extra/Acpi because the ACPICodec module already use it...I'm talking nonsense?

EDIT II

The RecoveryHD use the RAID icon....

EDIT III

continuing read the DSDT.aml that I place in the root of yosemite partition w/o specifying the path..   :rofl:

Thanks for testing.

Can you Micky1979 share your picture (on stuck) and bdmesg?

I can choose Acpi instead of ACPI, no problem. BTW ACPICodec never worked for me correctly, so I decided to improve internal acpi_patcher.

• Like 1

I'm going to boot with your bootloader, and give you a picture, but the bdmesg is difficult to provide if I can't boot..... from the actual bootloader (Enoch) is enough?

Picture is enough. I'd misunderstood your EDIT III, I thought you've booted already, sorry.

I'm waiting for the picts I made with my Phone and send me by e-email....please wait..

After I'll edit this post..

OK. I'm searching for a potential bug in the code meantime...

Strange, loading custom tables (DSDT, ECDT, SSDT) from new path working for me. I boot from a stick and can run SL, Mav and YDP1 placed on the same HDD.

Strange, loading custom tables (DSDT, ECDT, SSDT) from new path working for me. I boot from a stick and can run SL, Mav and YDP1 placed on the same HDD.

Yep because probably loading custom table is working!

I made another test, by removing the DSDT from my laptop (because my lappy can boot w/o DSDT  using a kext injector to surpass the Still Waiting for Root Device error..),

and the bootloader is stuck again to the same point... can be the CPU autodetection that does not work??

I saw that with Enoch the imediately output after the point where your bootloader stuck regarding the CPU...

I hope this Help

Yep because probably loading custom table is working!

I made another test, by removing the DSDT from my laptop (because my lappy can boot w/o DSDT  using a kext injector to surpass the Still Waiting for Root Device error..),

and the bootloader is stuck again to the same point... can be the CPU autodetection that does not work??

I saw that with Enoch the imediately output after the point where your bootloader stuck regarding the CPU...

I hope this Help

Now new path for custom tables is /Extra/Acpi as you sugested. I put some checkpoints "DEBUG:...". Can you test boot_r2469-TEST1_bungo.zip? Thanks.

tested, but still stuck on the same point as the last build.

Now he found DSDT.aml in Extra/Acpi.

I can't saw any special "verbose" checkpoint in the few lines shown and this is not related to Yosemite because the behavior is the same booting Maverick..

tested, but still stuck on the same point as the last build.
Now he found DSDT.aml in Extra/Acpi.
I can't saw any special "verbose" checkpoint in the few lines shown and this is not related to Yosemite because the behavior is the same booting Maverick..

THX, can you test my previous ver. boot_r2379_bungo.zip? No lzvn support.

On my desktop system receive a "memory allocation error"... waiting for the pictures from my smartphone

@Bungo

Probably the issue is relate with this: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/379/

Where some user (like me) never had that problem, and user like "Alex J" or "chris1111" was unable to boot on his hardware but was able to boot with other different machine...

ErmaC

I'm going to test that too..

EDIT

nope same again..

this the picture:

bungo.jpgbungo2.jpg

sorry it was "AllocateKernelMemory" error...