[HowTo] Mobility X300; QE/CL w/ Widescreen

-Bj

66 posts in this topic

I have a X300 mobility card from dell (Device #5460) and its been a while with HUNDREDS of different 7utorials and all have failed on getting either one working. So I took a chance and now it works with QE/CL and Widescreen

Stuff Required:

Callisto drivers (I'm using b005 but b003 might work also)

Koverg Patch 9700 version 2

Steps:

1) Install callisto drivers using the install instructions given in the package (DO NOT REBOOT YET)

2) Edit the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist file with the following instructions //

Under the "IOProviderClass" there should be "IONDRVFramebuffer" and change "IONDRVFramebuffer" to "CallistoFB"

3) Install Koverg patch using the install instructions located inside that package also

4) Reboot and pray you did everything correct

Koverg's install might conflict somethings that you've already done from the Callisto driver (Removing Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache files) but ignore that since you have removed those files already.

After reboot, the resolution would be returned to 1024x768 but you can change it in the "Display" within "System Preferences" afterwards.

So far, I have found some mouse tearing but I'm not really bothered by it.

This is my first guide so please tell me if theres anything wrong.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage done to your PC. This is my personal experience that have proven to work several times on my personal install.

qeclwide.tiff

Just wanted to let everyone know that this thread really helped me get my wide screen res on my presario x6000. However, the only drivers that worked were the callisto b005. I could not get the b006 or 008 to work. All I got was a black screen after boot.

Which version of the 9700 kext do you use ???

I've tried several times with all possible configs but I either get blocky colors or a complete black screen

I can get the high res with calisto or QE CI with 1024x768 but not both at the same time... :-(

Have installed in the last days dozens of times... (all native fortunatly so it doesn't take that much time for a completre reinstall)

A

Dell 9300 Ati Mobile X300

Mac OSX 10.4.7 (at the moment) from jas update and Semjas update

i tried everything above.. running a dell inspiron 9300 with x300 graphics.. I had the koverg patch alone working before on .5 now i did a fresh reinstall of .5 and JaS pateched to .7 tried the above with callisto b008 and koverg .2 but no luck.. everything seems to load right but when the login window launches i just get a black screen.. i notiece that the messages dumped by callisto said it was using a 1920x1200@60 res by default.. im not sure if this is the correct refresh for my laptop and could be causing the black screen. -Bj when you boot in -v whats your default res and refresh saying from callisto?

at the boot loader prompt, type: "Graphics Mode"="1024x768"

That will force OSX to boot into that resolution instead of defaulting to 1920x1200.

Alternatively, if you know your way around the command prompt, you can boot into single user mode by typing -s at the boot loader prompt.

So has anyone got 1920x1200 with QE/CL working yet? Hell, how about just 1920x1200 without QE/CL?

I have it working on my laptop .. 1920x1200!!!!! the step Iwas always missing was adding in my monitor 128bit hex number from the callisto drivers.

how did you do this.. i dual booted into windows and used the monitor info program mentioned in the callisto readme but couldnt get the 128bit data anywhere.. how did you find the number for your monitor?

im having trouble with the koverg patch part, i followed instructions exactly as it say in the readme of koverg patch but when os x loads, QE and CI are not loaded, i got callisto drivers to work build 005 and QE and CI were working before koverg patch. anyone have any ideas, i really want to get this working. i have an firegl t2 (m10) 0x4e54

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting really wierd results from this. I believe that I followed the instructions exactly as I should have, but I get a very wierd pattern of funky colored blocks instead of what should show up when it loads the GUI. I can't really explain it any other way than OSX on a really bad drug trip. The colors.... The geometrics shapes... You can move stuff around and it makes all sorts of cool paterns, but it completely unusable.

Since that happened I have been trying to figure out how to get it back to the way I had it previously. Like an idiot, I forgot the back up the files that I modified before hand. D'Oh!

-BJ, any further suggestions on what actions to take? It appears I have the exact same hardware setup as you, I just wonder if there are any slight differences in the file versions installed on my machine as compared to yours that caused my issue. Do you know what version of the files you used to your setup working with QE/CI?

*update*

I haven't been sucessfull at getting my system working with the previous res, but I did stumble on something else. Since my video is working 100% like it should, I don't know if it has much weight to it, but I found that sleep and waking from sleep works. I just don't know if it'll stay working if I keep messing with it, though.

So far, I haven't been succesful at getting this to work. I have gotten sleep to work propperly, hi-res to work, and still trying to get QE/CI to work. The only problem it seems is that I have not been able to get more than one working at any given time. I'd love all three, but will settle for two out of three.