Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Update: 07/10/2011

Solution found for my, "no burners seen" problem.

I needed to install the correct Kext file, for ATA and SATA support, which, matched my motherboard.

And I found them right here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...261152&st=0

Works like a champ now!

Albert,

First and foremost allow me to thank you for your, "Unlocker".

Worked like a charm.

Not new to computers, just new to this interesting world of running the Mac OS on a PC.

Only one problem, that I am aware of thus far, which is actually of importance to me, and Im hoping that maybe you might have an answer for me.

At the end of this post, I will list all of my hardware and software to possibly help you diagnose my problem.

Long and short of it, Im using that pre-installed Mac OS X Lion Developers 3 from Mahmood, and VMWare Workstation in Windows 7 x64.

I have no problem entering the Mac OS, but within the Mac environment, I have no cd/dvd burners listed.

In my system, I have 2 of them, both of them SATA.

I have them turned on in VMWare/Settings/Hardware Tab/CD-DVD (IDE)/, I have both, Connected, and Connect At Power On selected, as well as the correct drive letter of my main burner.

Yet when I look in System Report in the Mac OS, and under hardware, and Disc Burning, it says, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it's connected and turned on."

Both drives are internal SATA drives.

Any help with this?

Thanks.

Main System:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VMWare Workstation v7.1.4-385536

Motherboard:

Asus P5K-Deluxe

Cpu:

Intel QX9650 Quad Core

Memory:

8 Gig of DDR2-800

DVD Drives/ Both SATA (Optical):

(Main) TSST Corp CDDVDW SH-S223F (ATA)

(Secondary) HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L (ATA)

One last question, if I may sir.

If I have the original Mac Retail (non server) Install OS DVD, can I still load it into a virtual environment, on a PC, using VMWare Workstation, and your Unlocker?

Thanks again.

One last question, if I may sir.

If I have the original Mac Retail (non server) Install OS DVD, can I still load it into a virtual environment, on a PC, using VMWare Workstation, and your Unlocker?

Thanks again.

McReid,

Glad to here you resolved your CD/DVD issue, in terms of you other question, yes you can use a retail OS X Snow Leopard (Non Server) DVD it will work fibe, as part of the "Unlocker" process is to remove the check for Server media, so non server media will work fine, although your guest will still say it is Server in VMware Workstation configuration, but the actual OS will be Desktop/Client.

Is there any chance that the unlocker would be produced for ESX vSphere 4?

Thanks

sebus

Sebus,

The simple answer is no, as ESXi 4 is based on earlier code than Fusion 3 and Workstation 7, i.e. Workstation 6, and requires significantly more patching. Currently the best, and as far as I am aware the only method, is to use Donk's latest darwin.iso currently at version 310, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

However with ESXi 5 in beta, promising some form of OS X support, this situation may well change once ESXi 5 is released, as I know Donk has some patches which work on Workstation 8 and Fusion 4 again currently in Beta and I am sure ESXi 5 as well. Watch this space.

MSoK!

[updated 13/07/2011] (Thanks to Donk)

Thanks, good to know. Did not realize that vSphere uses such old code!

Yet another upgrade on the way then in few months...

sebus

I think MSoK meant Workstation 6 era code is used for some of the ESXi 4 areas we need to patch. It has been confirmed at the launch that ESXi 5 does have Mac OS X support, but unfortunately I am not on the beta program for it and so can't really tell how it may work. However the annoucement details EFI BIOS and virtual hardware 8 support something in the Fusion and Workstation betas so my hopes are high.

But that (as far as I understand) would never run 10.6.8 Server (what I need), right?

sebus

Sebus,

As far as I am aware, and from comments on the forum, 10.6.8 is supported under ESXi 4.1 using Donk's darwin.iso (310), I don't think installing the tools has any significant benefit under ESXi, but Zenith432's 2D graphics drivers may help.

MSoK.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my OSX VM. I'm running VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 and have followed Mac Son of Knifes wonderful guide. Everything appeared to be running OK, but if I leave the VM alone for about 20 minutes it locks up.

Has anyone seen this before? Honestly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with OSX as a whole, is this considered 'Kernel Panic'?

I have several other VM's that run without issue. I'm guessing hardware may be the culprit, but hopefully someone can answer that. Here are my machine specs:

Thinkstation D20

Dual Xeon E5520's

16 GB RAM

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my OSX VM. I'm running VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 and have followed Mac Son of Knifes wonderful guide. Everything appeared to be running OK, but if I leave the VM alone for about 20 minutes it locks up.

Has anyone seen this before? Honestly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with OSX as a whole, is this considered 'Kernel Panic'?

I have several other VM's that run without issue. I'm guessing hardware may be the culprit, but hopefully someone can answer that. Here are my machine specs:

Thinkstation D20

Dual Xeon E5520's

16 GB RAM

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated.

Switch all energy settings to "never" and install the Caffeine app and leave running.

Donk

Do you have a link for the latest version of vmware unlocker that handles Workstation and player in their latest versions? I see several links, but (and I'm sure I've not seen them all) some seem quite old.

Thanks!

Stewie

Donk

Do you have a link for the latest version of vmware unlocker that handles Workstation and player in their latest versions? I see several links, but (and I'm sure I've not seen them all) some seem quite old.

Thanks!

Stewie

Stewie,

Have a look at my "How To" link below, it has all the latest links you should need, plus some useful tips.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

I need help, i cannot get this method to work. What i did:

1) Extracted InstallESD.dmg from inside C:\Users\Marco\Downloads\Install Mac OS X Lion.app\Contents\SharedSupport\InstallESD.dmg

2) Converted InstallESD.dmg to InstallESD.iso using UltraISO

3) Tried a fresh install in VMware Worstation using 2Gb of ram and OS X Server as type of virtual machine.

After the end of the setup process all i can see is the EFI shell. ;):D Any help would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Strange question here, but the patch fails for me.

it stops the service fine, but the windows_32 fails.

Perhaps because I am on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit but I have seen other users stating that they have patched and are running OS X Guest systems in VMWare using Win 7 x64.

I appear to be missing a step. does this need to be run in the VMWare folder? or is it global?

Any help would be appreciated.

Strange question here, but the patch fails for me.

it stops the service fine, but the windows_32 fails.

Perhaps because I am on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit but I have seen other users stating that they have patched and are running OS X Guest systems in VMWare using Win 7 x64.

I appear to be missing a step. does this need to be run in the VMWare folder? or is it global?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind .. AV was killing the file - disabled for 10 minutes, patched .. sorry to ask a stupid question.

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

Hello, I have one question reagarding installation 64-bits Windows7. Do you have a solution also for them, please?

Thx

Hello, I have one question reagarding installation 64-bits Windows7. Do you have a solution also for them, please?

Thx

luji,

Works fine with 64-bit Windows 7, better to install Workstation or Player to the default location which is:

"C:\Progarm Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation"

Donk has written an updated script which works better especially with VMware Player a link is in the "How To" guide I have done pulling all the relevant information in to one place, which should answer most if not all your questions, link below:

Good luck, MSoK.

• 2 weeks later...
So, what about this virus message from McAfee (Artemis!2962EF1DB9F7) ?

caro,

I have seen this referenced before in relation to the windows_32.exe, but using the original from the first post in this topic I have not had the issue using the latest McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 and up to date DAT. But if you are sure you have the original download then disable McAfee while you run the Unlocker, then re-enable once complete, and for peace of mind run a full scan.

luji,

Works fine with 64-bit Windows 7, better to install Workstation or Player to the default location which is:

"C:\Progarm Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation"

Donk has written an updated script which works better especially with VMware Player a link is in the "How To" guide I have done pulling all the relevant information in to one place, which should answer most if not all your questions, link below:

Good luck, MSoK.

I tried this and it seems to work. However, VMware fails on load with and error saying "This is not OSX 10.6 Server, which it isn't. but there is no option for saying just OSX.

This updated patch is for Snow Leopard not Lion. Is there an unlock for VMWare Player on a 64bit system? I really want to test out Lion.

I tried this and it seems to work. However, VMware fails on load with and error saying "This is not OSX 10.6 Server, which it isn't. but there is no option for saying just OSX.

This updated patch is for Snow Leopard not Lion. Is there an unlock for VMWare Player on a 64bit system? I really want to test out Lion.

computerlady911,

It you are getting the message then the unlocker has not fully installed as it disables the looking for the server version of OS X. Have a look at my post #421 to luji, using Donk's updated script for the unlocker should work fine with Player on Windows 7 64-bit, however it is best to have Player installed to the default location, i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\".

Probably best to completely uninstall Player and re-install before re-running the unlocker.

Also people have reported issues with the unlocker script due to some components of Player still running during the install, have a look at the following giude it covers all these issues, link below:

How exactly is this working for linux vmware player (I have 3.1.4)?

Is this the command: "sudo sh linux" ???

If so, I'm gettin this message: "linux: 10: linux_32: not found"

the files linux linux_32 and linux_64 are all in the same folder.

I'm a total linux noob, so please be kind ;)

How exactly is this working for linux vmware player (I have 3.1.4)?

Is this the command: "sudo sh linux" ???

If so, I'm gettin this message: "linux: 10: linux_32: not found"

the files linux linux_32 and linux_64 are all in the same folder.

I'm a total linux noob, so please be kind ;)

try sudo sh ./linux

(by default current directory is not searched for files to run, unlike windows)

p.s. not good idea to introduce quiz requirement for ones who arleady posted here...