Windows-OSx86 Time Discepancy

IgorP

12 posts in this topic

So I recently got OSx86 dual booting on my PC (w/ WindowsXP), and I must say I feel like a little kid getting his first bike. I recently fixed the video driver so I can change the res in the settings menu, and connected my SATA HD. What's bugging me right now is that whenever I boot in to Windows after having used OSx86, my clock is pushed 4 hours forward!! Anyway, I'm just wondering whether this is an isolated incident or if anyone else has had this problem, and whether or not its fixable. Thanks much.

Dear IgorP:

I had the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1150 with 10.4.1 installed and MSI MPC 915 with 10.4.5. Both computers have OSx86 and Window XP dual booting.

I'm really in Pacific Standard Time (PST) but I have to setup my time zone to Ponta Delgada - Portugal (AZOST) in OSx86 in order for time to be synchronized on Mac and PC.

Does anyone else do the same thing?

As said set a different time zone in Mac OS. Always seems to be the GMT time zone no matter where you are. There is already several topics about this in the forum, search for time zone here .. :D

If you don't want to do thi the only solution is to have your clocks in Win/ Mac updated via internet.

I'm not so happy to see posts like these being posted again and again. All the info posted was already discussed back in Sept. :worried_anim:

The solution is to use an application like timesync, but not always helpful on a lappy on the road. Another is you can set your time under XP to local and your OS X time to GMT. Which is suppose to be in GB. Mine is somewhere in North Africa for some godly reason. If you also boot to Linux, you can use NTP service to sync to a time server.

it has to do with the different way that UNIX (mac os x) and winodws use the BIOS clock

Unix (including MacOS) sets the BIOS clock to grenetch mean time and calculated the tiem out of it

windows uses a more pirmative way of seting the BIOS clock to local time

ergo you would see it different on different systems however if you set your mac time zone to gmt then youll be fine

I found a nice fix for this in the Boot Camp section of the Apple Discussion Forums, check it out here. Its basically the instructions to add a registry key to instruct Windows to always keep time using GMT, the same way OS X does.

For those with Windows registry knowledge that want to skip reading the other post add the following DWORD key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal and set it's value to 1.

-acommonjo