Windows Vista

Swad

653 posts in this topic

.. because task manager is a good indication of the state of code.

Are you going to answer my question as to who you would believe ? I'll say it a bit differently; would you rather believe a bum telling you about a tech product, or someone who works in a computer store whose comments are upheld by many ? Personally, I'd go with the guy in the computer store, but that's just me [and probably 99% of everyone else ..].

Also, did you read what I linked to ? It says/shows how it isn't bloated and does not need brand new hardware to run on.

Don't try to disprove/counter what I'm saying, do it towards that article. I'd like to see someone counter that. /grabs popcorn

• 4 weeks later...
I think Windows Vista will be a big failure and Bill knows it will be, too. He left Microsoft before Vista was release because he didn't want to take most of the blame when Vista turns out to be less stable and more buggier than Win 98 was. I predict that Vista will fail, and when it doesn, Apple will take it's marketshare, and all will be good.

I don't think so.

Only until Apple decides to make OS X compatible with (nearly) all hardware supported by Windows, we can kiss that dream goodbye.

Plus that means Apple has to mass-distribute copies of OS X not only by DVD but through other computer manufacturers like Dell and HP, who are direct competitors to Apple in terms of hardware. Which means Apple would also have to lower the costs of their hardware, forcing a lower quality, too.

Plus, if they make OS X as distributable as Windows is, Apple will have to fight piracy like MS does.

Not to mention, if OS X becomes as big as Windows is, we're going to see a {censored}load of viruses.

Until then, the vast majority of people are not going to reach into their pockets to buy Apple's overpriced hardware.

And that's why I don't think Vista will fail. People acted like there was too much of a hardware jump when XP came out, too. (Remember? 128MB of RAM MINIMUM?!?! It was bizarre back in 2001, especially users still on 98.)

Apple would also have to lower the costs of their hardware, forcing a lower quality, too.

people are not going to reach into their pockets to buy Apple's overpriced hardware.

Apple wouldn't have to lower quality, they have to lower profits, their not offering a better quality product just an overpriced one.

Apple wouldn't have to lower quality, they have to lower profits, their not offering a better quality product just an overpriced one.

Well, Apple could chose to opt out to cheaper ram, HDD, etc. There's many-a-ways to cut costs.

But yes, it's still overpriced.

I checked it out and your right, not as expensive as Apple's $200 increase, but dont you get a little bigger harddrive with Apples though? I have to say Alienwares laptops look pretty cool looking, but I'll stick with my soon to come MacBook Pro ^_^ .

From personal experience the biggest gripe I have is the serial number/activation. When I used Windows heavily, I ended up having to buy Windows XP at least 3 times, that around 800-$1000, and I was only 16-17 :) . It was because I had to wipe Windows so often because things screwed it up, activation failed, even though it was on the same machine. I know now I could have just called and say I need a new key, but I didnt then. That was a lot of money gone to them :D .

BTW Rollcage awesome avatar, love the 3D looking Metroid.

lol, phone activation? and if it was on the same hardware it should have online activated as many times as you wanted because it sends a profile telling m$ what your hardware is and checks to see if its a different pc or the same one... and you dont get a bigger harddrive. ;)

lol, phone activation? and if it was on the same hardware it should have online activated as many times as you wanted because it sends a profile telling m$ what your hardware is and checks to see if its a different pc or the same one... and you dont get a bigger harddrive. :P

It was on the same machine oddly enough, it was after I zeroed the hard drive more than once that it would {censored} out like that :-/, oh well doesn't really matter to me now, dont really want to deal with Microsoft shenanigans (sp) :).

Anyone that opens Task Manager and says "My, look how bloated Vista is" should just shut their mouth now since they obviously don't have a clue about the inner workings of Vista and why it works differently than XP.

It's not XP, stop acting like it's XP, stop thinking like it's XP. It's not XP. It doesn't work like XP. It doesn't act like XP.

And no offense, I know tons of people that work in computer stores, doesn't mean they know anything about computers.

I know cops that don't know the law, firefighters that can't put out fires, auto mechanics that can't fix cars, lawyers that can't understand why defending the guilty is a bad thing, doctors that can't heal, etc. Just because someone works in a computer store does not automagically make them a computer expert, sorry.

bb

Anyone that opens Task Manager and says "My, look how bloated Vista is" should just shut their mouth now since they obviously don't have a clue about the inner workings of Vista and why it works differently than XP.

It's not XP, stop acting like it's XP, stop thinking like it's XP. It's not XP. It doesn't work like XP. It doesn't act like XP.

And no offense, I know tons of people that work in computer stores, doesn't mean they know anything about computers.

I know cops that don't know the law, firefighters that can't put out fires, auto mechanics that can't fix cars, lawyers that can't understand why defending the guilty is a bad thing, doctors that can't heal, etc. Just because someone works in a computer store does not automagically make them a computer expert, sorry.

bb

Exactly. Just because Task Manager is saying 50% of your ram is being used, doesn't mean it's actually being used by Vista.

It's actually reserved, is it not?

It was on the same machine oddly enough, it was after I zeroed the hard drive more than once that it would {censored} out like that :-/, oh well doesn't really matter to me now, dont really want to deal with Microsoft shenanigans (sp) ;).

lol, well, if that were to happen to anyone's os then it would be microsoft's.... sorry to hear that :blush:

Vista has a vastly superior caching scheme we're all coming to know and love: SuperPrefetch.

Prefetch which started with XP helped with the loading of applications when they were first executed. Obviously, if things were working right, once the application loaded the first time, if you started it up again it should load faster the second time around because some of the data from the previous load would/should have been still in the system cache.

SuperPrefetch improves on that by not only speeding up the initial application loading process but also watches how the application works, how it requests memory for commonly executed tasks, and what data files are necessary to accomplish those tasks.

A few years ago there was a product called AutoPilot that I beta tested and it did almost exactly what SuperPrefetch does now: actively tunes the RAM usage and other system variables in real-time - hence your RAM usage will ALWAYS look higher under Vista than it does under XP, even if you use exactly the same applications.

But when you see that "high RAM usage" everyone is complaining about, it means Vista is working properly, caching stuff in RAM so it's right there ready to go. That stuff cached in RAM is just copies of code on the hard drive for application usage and can be dumped in favor of something else requiring the RAM, again, in real-time.

So all the people that say "Vista sucks up all the RAM and my games suck" are idiots. First off: Vista will release anything that SuperPrefetch is caching almost instantly if requested. Second: the video drivers aren't finalized for Vista yet and won't be till January 30th or later, unfortunately - that's the reason gaming sucks presently compared to XP.

Hope this helps...

bb

Hi!

My personal experience with Vista is:

not too much changed. Just the gui

Pros:

- the active mini preview of open programs is nice

- the exposé-like window selector

- there is a search function

- if you copy a bunch of files it wont abort now on a locked file. You can skip it

and it finishes the job

Cons:

- very slow search function

- explorer still hangs on all windows if you insert a cd/dvd that windows can't read

- still BSODs

And the nag-screens. Man. Try to copy a file manually to your program directory or unrar

a file with winrar. You get two secuity nags each and every time. Wouldn't a checkbox be

nice, where you can simly say "Remember this" ? Yea, but not at Microsoft. Dumbass biatches.

Useability:

You can compare the Vista GUI with a messy nursery, where everythin was crammed

into 10 drawers:

It looks tidy, but you have to digg deep if you want to find something

because everything now is hidden and packed together behind some arrow-

pulldown menues. The best example is the "File" menue. You have to press Alt

and AltGr together, to make it visible. But no one tells you, until you find out

yourself.

The Gadgets menue: the link to add gadgets does not work and seems to

be broken, until you find out by accident, that you have to register a Live

ID and also activate Vista, to make it work. Again, no one tells you.

The Karma check:

Vista - the privileged classes system.

If you are a game kiddie, and you want to see Aero, the basic homeuser

version won't get you this. Instead, they added Aero to the Enterprise and

Ultimate versions - pure business versions where Aero is not relevant at all!

So, Ballmer is the Grinch. Really.

This ballmerxf1.jpgequals this grinchyh0.jpg

And all comes on the same DVD. So: See it, have it, be unable to touch it.

Imagine to buy a car that can drive 230 Km/h but you can only drive it at up to 80 Km/h.

Thats vista. Welcome to the a-social.

Vista is the last of the dinosaurs

Edited by xtraa

Windows isn't going anywhere. Vista brought much needed features that caught it up to Mac OS X. And just because mac sales are up, it's just slowly returning back to the 5% share of the market that it had before. Plus many of those people are buying it because it can run windows still. So in the end windows wins.

not too much changed. Just the gui

Go bloody read and realise how wrong your comment is. Also, for fun compare it to the changes to XP and I'd dare say Vista is the biggest upgrade in Windows history except for maybe 95 or 3.

- The search function isn't slow unless you haven't indexed what you're looking for (And every OS has this 'problem').

- Care to explain 'it still BSODS' ?

- Using Winrar doesn't need any UAC interaction. Stop lying.

- The add gadgets button does work and the things you said are 'required' aren't required. Once again, stop lying.

- Aero [Express] is there in Home Basic and Aero [Glass] is in Home Premium

Hell, basically everything you said is either wrong or just silly but I kind of expcted that from someone who made the post you did (The insults, grinch comment, complete lack of knowledge, etc).

Lol, I forgot to add: You know what the biggest bummer in Vista is?

It_still_has_the_old_Microsoft_Paint

muhaha... this is unbelievable, welcome to the future. :D

@robo:

The search function isn't slow unless you haven't indexed what you're looking for (And every OS has this 'problem').
It is slow as hell. Try it with 60gig.

Care to explain 'it still BSODS' ?

Yea. It crashed for some reason with a bsod. "Last known good" fixed it.

When I was younger, I found it fun to tinker around and I also had the time to figure out, what and why and make it a hobby. Nowadays I have to work, instead. And if Explorer hangs - still all hangs. Nothing new in Vista.

Using Winrar doesn't need any UAC interaction. Stop lying.
dsc0005rx5.th.jpg

Why should I tell bad things about Vista that are not true? That is not necessary. Vista

does that job automatically once you tried it for a day or two. :)

The add gadgets button does work and the things you said are 'required' aren't required. Once again, stop lying.

Lol. Let's see what Microsoft says about this, if you click the Gadget-link:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=cus...ket=en-en#faq10

You must have a working Windows Live ID (The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live, MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network, Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.) to sign in to Windows Live Gallery.

Aero [Express]is there in Home Basic and Aero [Glass] is in Home Premium

Fine. I don't give a damn how you call it. I think it won't change a thing if you call it Express, Light, XS, or just "not available".

Hell, basically everything you said is either wrong or just silly but I kind of expcted that from someone who made the post you did (The insults, grinch comment, complete lack of knowledge, etc).

I am sorry if I pissed against your holy grail. Sometimes the truth is hard to take, especially for fanboys. :(

Edited by xtraa

Windows isn't going anywhere. Vista brought much needed features that caught it up to Mac OS X. And just because mac sales are up, it's just slowly returning back to the 5% share of the market that it had before. Plus many of those people are buying it because it can run windows still. So in the end windows wins.

Yes good point. But i think if we take parallels for example and imagine a quadcore CPU it may not be noticed anymore what is virtual and what is real at some point. Think about octa core or whatever will come. So maybe the future will bring us the best from all operation systems.

On the other hand, I think I know why Microsoft loves this "App on demand" thing. It is a better way to control the user and to prove that the version is legit.

Edited by xtraa

Lol, I forgot to add: You know what the biggest bummer in Vista is?

It_still_has_the_old_Microsoft_Paint

muhaha... this is unbelievable, welcome to the future. :D

That Microsoft paint can now open and save in jpg as well as png. So therefore it has been updated. Just because the GUI for it hasn't been updated doesn't mean it hasn't changed at all. Then again you must be a mac fan boy so if the gui isn't changed it's worthless to you.

It is slow as hell. Try it with 60gig.

By default it only indexes the stuff in your user folder. Which is instant when used. However if you don't store all your personal files in your user folder, then yes it is slow. Mac OS X has this same behavior. However when you're searching you can add the location you are searching to the list of places to index to make searching much faster.

Yea. It crashed for some reason with a bsod. "Last known good" fixed it.

Are all your drivers up to date? I know quite a few drivers that are made for xp and haven't been finalized yet for vista. Such as nvidia and silicon image. When all your drivers are finalized then come back to us. There is a damn reason why vista is going to be available on January 30th, 2007. So that all the drivers and application developers can have a chance to get their stuff to work with windows vista. And saying it BSOD'd on you really isn't very specific. Tell us what it said.

When I was younger, I found it fun to tinker around and I also had the time to figure out, what and why and make it a hobby. Nowadays I have to work, instead. And if Explorer hangs - still all hangs. Nothing new in Vista.

I said before it's not available until January 30th, 2007. Until then, you are trying something out that is NOT available to the general public. So tell us where you got your copy from. If it's not from MSDN or from a business that got its copy on November 30th, then it's not legit. For all we know, you could be running a beta version of it. Then lying about it to try to make it look bad. That's called propaganda. And I see right through it.

dsc0005rx5.th.jpg

Why should I tell bad things about Vista that are not true? That is not necessary. Vista

does that job automatically once you tried it for a day or two. :)

Well since that isn't in english, we can't quite possibly know what it says. However I do have winrar installed, version 3.61, and have only seen something like that when installing it for the first time because of course it would need administrative privileges to install. So post us an English version of that coming up. Then you can prove your point. And changing file associations does require administrative privileges because it is a system wide behavior, not an individual user behavior. Just like mac os x.

Lol. Let's see what Microsoft says about this, if you click the Gadget-link:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=cus...ket=en-en#faq10

Funny, I tried to add a gadget and it didn't ask a damn thing to me about having to have a live account. It just brought me straight to here.

And I was using firefox. Easy to add. I also tried going to your link there and it didn't say that at all. Plus all the gadgets have a filename of filename.gadget. So that means you don't have to go to Microsoft to get your gadgets. You can go anywhere to get it. There is no proprietary technology in using it. The options link there is however the only part that requires a windows live id to work. But it's not needed, unlike which you tried to make it seem like.

Fine. I don't give a damn how you call it. I think it won't change a thing if you call it Express, Light, XS, or just "not available".

I am sorry if I pissed against your holy grail. Sometimes the truth is hard to take, especially for fanboys. :)

Well it shows right here that Windows Home Premium DOES have aero glass, so quit spreading your FUD. And most pc's will be coming with home premium and not with home basic.

Yes good point. But i think if we take parallels for example and imagine a quadcore CPU it may not be noticed anymore what is virtual and what is real at some point. Think about octa core or whatever will come. So maybe the future will bring us the best from all operation systems.

On the other hand, I think I know why Microsoft loves this "App on demand" thing. It is a better way to control the user and to prove that the version is legit.

One problem with that is that for gaming, windows needs to be running natively. Can't be running in a parallels.

That Microsoft paint can now open and save in jpg as well as png. So therefore it has been updated. Just because the GUI for it hasn't been updated doesn't mean it hasn't changed at all. Then again you must be a mac fan boy so if the gui isn't changed it's worthless to you.
Amazing. Let's have it jpg support. It doesn't matter, because the tools are still the same, Paint is still useless, unless you want a picture to look like if it is from a 6 year old child, or you have godlike paint-skills. It is worthless as it is, and it is a shame to call something like that bundled software for 199$/€.

Are all your drivers up to date? I know quite a few drivers that are made for xp and haven't been finalized yet for vista. Such as nvidia and silicon image. When all your drivers are finalized then come back to us. There is a damn reason why vista is going to be available on January 30th, 2007. So that all the drivers and application developers can have a chance to get their stuff to work with windows vista. And saying it BSOD'd on you really isn't very specific. Tell us what it said.

Well, It only came once, and it had something to do with the network I guess, because right before I get the bluescreen, my Lan was set to local only, and the internet access was disabled. I did not wrote down the BSOD, because I first wanted to try to boot the last known good config, what worked fine. :)

I said before it's not available until January 30th, 2007. Until then, you are trying something out that is NOT available to the general public. So tell us where you got your copy from. If it's not from MSDN or from a business that got its copy on November 30th, then it's not legit. For all we know, you could be running a beta version of it. Then lying about it to try to make it look bad. That's called propaganda. And I see right through it.
Wow, clever. And I thought I could fool you with my evil propaganda ticks ;p Honestly, that is really not my intention, see the good things I mentioned above, too? I just don't like that form of propaganda, where bad things aren't allowed to talk about, too.

And for the version, it is the final, no beta code should be in there. And it is legit, at least for the next 30 days. Nothing cracked here, my flatmate is an editor.

Well since that isn't in english, we can't quite possibly know what it says.

lol, ok I think that typical nag window looks the same in english. In the back, you see the software that I have proper installed on the system in the devicemanager, and one of it is winrar. And honestly, UAC is bad.

Funny, I tried to add a gadget and it didn't ask a damn thing to me about having to have a live account. It just brought me straight to here.

And I was using firefox. Easy to add. I also tried going to your link there and it didn't say that at all.

Strange. Maybe a problem with localized services, but as I proved, Microsoft itself say that you need the ID. So i guess you maybe have a beta installed or something different.

Plus all the gadgets have a filename of filename.gadget. So that means you don't have to go to Microsoft to get your gadgets. You can go anywhere to get it. There is no proprietary technology in using it. The options link there is however the only part that requires a windows live id to work. But it's not needed, unlike which you tried to make it seem like.
Plus, if you are the dumb home user that barely knows google, you will click on the link in the gadgets manager. And why wasn't I surprised that it did not worked? Hmm, maybe because it reminded me on all these broken XP links that never worked, too. Like scan for software/drivers online.. oops nothing found.

Well it shows right here that Windows Home Premium DOES have aero glass, so quit spreading your FUD. And most pc's will be coming with home premium and not with home basic.

Please read it again. Simon says: B A S I C. Not P R E M I U M. I never talked about the premium homeuser. That was robo. But you know, I think 199 Bucks for the basic version should be enough for some Aero glass, too.

To sum it up, if you like Vista - fine :) It looks nice and it feels nice, too. But this is nothing more to me like the difference between os x 10.3.9 and 10.4.3 with UNO installed. But I think that when it reaches the masses in the next year, there will be much to talk about, and this will be the downsides of Vista as well as the good things like the few I mentioned above

Edited by xtraa

Amazing. Let's have it jpg support. It doesn't matter, because the tools are still the same, Paint is still useless, unless you want a picture to look like if it is from a 6 year old child, or you have godlike paint-skills. It is worthless as it is, and it is a shame to call something like that bundled software for 199$/€.

Yes because it is a bundled app. If you want something more elegant and useful u can use paint shop pro, adobe photoshop elements, or gimpshop. Take your pick. But paint is meant to be a simple application. An OEM can include one of the other applications I mentioned if they want. Just that Microsoft isn't allowed to. Hence they just updated it with a few more features. That's all.

Well, It only came once, and it had something to do with the network I guess, because right before I get the bluescreen, my Lan was set to local only, and the internet access was disabled. I did not wrote down the BSOD, because I first wanted to try to boot the last known good config, what worked fine. :(

Well that would point to a problem with your lan driver. See if there is a version available for vista.

Wow, clever. And I thought I could fool you with my evil propaganda ticks ;p Honestly, that is really not my intention, see the good things I mentioned above, too? I just don't like that form of propaganda, where bad things aren't allowed to talk about, too.

And for the version, it is the final, no beta code should be in there. And it is legit, at least for the next 30 days. Nothing cracked here, my flatmate is an editor.

So where was my answer their? I don't see an answer. Did you get it from MSDN or from a business that was allowed access to the vista business edition? If you say no to either of those, then your entire point about vista can't be taken seriously. Since you can't prove you're running a legitimate version. Telling us it's legit because it has that 30 days before activation is just side stepping the question. Politicians do it all the time. You're no different. EOF.

lol, ok I think that typical nag window looks the same in english. In the back, you see the software that I have proper installed on the system in the devicemanager, and one of it is winrar. And honestly, UAC is bad.

Strange. Maybe a problem with localized services, but as I proved, Microsoft itself say that you need the ID. So i guess you maybe have a beta installed or something different.

Looks the same in English? I don't care if it looks the same. I want to know what it says in English. The reason why it popped up. Answer me that.

Plus, if you are the dumb home user that barely knows google, you will click on the link in the gadgets manager. And why wasn't I surprised that it did not worked? Hmm, maybe because it reminded me on all these broken XP links that never worked, too. Like scan for software/drivers online.. oops nothing found.

Please read it again. Simon says: B A S I C. Not P R E M I U M. I never talked about the premium homeuser. That was robo. But you know, I think 199 Bucks for the basic version should be enough for some Aero glass, too.

Lookie here, it did work. I don't know what your whining about here saying it didn't. And the $199 for the home basic version, that is for a full version. The upgrade price is $99. Every OEM PC comes with a version of windows xp on it, so you would be paying the upgrade price here not the full price. And if you want home premium, it would be $159 for the upgrade. The only people the full versions will apply to are those who build their own pc's. Not typical pc buyers who buy oem built pc's.

Your link also that you said it needed a live account didn't pan out either. So stop insisting on that when you can't even prove it.

To sum it up, if you like Vista - fine :tomato: It looks nice and it feels nice, too. But this is nothing more to me like the difference between os x 10.3.9 and 10.4.3 with UNO installed. But I think that when it reaches the masses in the next year, there will be much to talk about, and this will be the downsides of Vista as well as the good things like the few I mentioned above

Ah a mac fan boy. I had a feeling you were one of those. No wonder you don't like vista all that much. But what I don't get is that you are complaining about UAC. It is exactly what mac os x has had and now that windows vista has the same sort of thing you're complaining about it. So it's only good then if apple does it right? Bad if microsoft does it.

Now I know why you were complaining about the price being too high for home basic. You were comparing it against the mac os x retail prices. But remember this, every mac sold comes with mac os x preinstalled. Just like an oem built pc. So when you think about it, every mac os x retail package is an upgrade. So when comparing the 2, compare the upgrade prices. And comparing the price that you're paying for mac os x over its 3 different releases since 2001 against paying the one time price for vista ultimate if you want the expensive one, vista still is cheaper.

Yes because it is a bundled app. If you want something more elegant and useful u can use paint shop pro, adobe photoshop elements, or gimpshop. Take your pick. But paint is meant to be a simple application. An OEM can include one of the other applications I mentioned if they want. Just that Microsoft isn't allowed to. Hence they just updated it with a few more features. That's all.
It is poor compared to os x. And why didn't they included paint dotnet.

So where was my answer their? I don't see an answer. Did you get it from MSDN or from a business that was allowed access to the vista business edition? If you say no to either of those, then your entire point about vista can't be taken seriously. Since you can't prove you're running a legitimate version. Telling us it's legit because it has that 30 days before activation is just side stepping the question. Politicians do it all the time. You're no different. EOF.
As I wrote, I have an editor in the house, who is currently allowed to use it for review puroposes.

Looks the same in English? I don't care if it looks the same. I want to know what it says in English. The reason why it popped up. Answer me that.
It will probably say the two sentences: A not identified software tries to access your puter. Accept?/Deny?

Lookie here, it did work. I don't know what your whining about here saying it didn't. And the $199 for the home basic version, that is for a full version. The upgrade price is $99. Every OEM PC comes with a version of windows xp on it, so you would be paying the upgrade price here not the full price. And if you want home premium, it would be $159 for the upgrade. The only people the full versions will apply to are those who build their own pc's. Not typical pc buyers who buy oem built pc's.
The 99 is the system-builder-version.

Your link also that you said it needed a live account didn't pan out either. So stop insisting on that when you can't even prove it.
Man. It's on the site. Click on the "I can't sign in" and it will tell you why you can't sign in :)

Ah a mac fan boy. I had a feeling you were one of those.
You have feelings for me? :D I don't get it. i wrote that vista looks good and feels good. And you call me a fanboy :) You even think that Paint is a badass software due to new added jpg support. Now aren't we not all a little bit fanboys?

No wonder you don't like vista all that much. But what I don't get is that you are complaining about UAC. It is exactly what mac os x has had and now that windows vista has the same sort of thing you're complaining about it. So it's only good then if apple does it right? Bad if microsoft does it.
You know, I think there are some more ppl out there who dislike Vista for several reasons. I just wrote about what did not worked here. I don't care if it may worked for you, because I don't use your machine. You can be sure, there will be a lot more things that will not work and just because they bug, they are not automatically a lie.

And yes, of course is Vista a kind of OS X copypaste. But this is a compliment for Apple. If it wouldn't be good they wouldn't have copied it. And also, it is a pluspoint for Microsoft, because they show that they wanted to make it even better than XP.

And to UAC: Yes it is a good thing. But the difference is that OS X doesn't nag me if I want to copy a shortcut in my Program Files folder. Why? Just because it would nag me, if a program wants to do some system relevant access. Windows isn't able to differ between that, thats why it nags everything. And I don't have to sign in as an admin in OS X to get rid of that.

Now I know why you were complaining about the price being too high for home basic. You were comparing it against the mac os x retail prices. But remember this, every mac sold comes with mac os x preinstalled. Just like an oem built pc. So when you think about it, every mac os x retail package is an upgrade. So when comparing the 2, compare the upgrade prices. And comparing the price that you're paying for mac os x over its 3 different releases since 2001 against paying the one time price for vista ultimate if you want the expensive one, vista still is cheaper.

Cheeta, Panther, Tiger, Jaguar... dunno. Tiger is 105€ here. I don't know how much an upgrade would cost, but in case of doubt I would say it is cheaper. But even 4x105 is not as much as for Ultimate. And you can compare the iLife things to the bundled software that comes with ultimate.

But... at the end, I really don't care. I think Vista is an ok OS, but it will not get my main OS as it seems by now. And if they would have managed it, that a hanging explorer just closes the instance and not hang on every related process, I would have had a better impression of vista. Also I find it poor from Microsoft, that they not had so much own new ideas to show. I think this is because of the pressure in this company where the employees imply may not get creative. And that they made a difference in the gui. That was not necessary, especially for the kids with less money.

Edited by xtraa