fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm sorry, but I've been up for 36 hours trying to figure this out, I finally have everything installed except that it's not picking up my graphics card, so it's giving me a puny screen with bad resolution.

What do you mean by install the bootloader and how would I go about doing that?

I downloaded the files and I have three folders, kexts, bootloader, and frameworks.

What do I do with the bootloader files? There are like 16 in the folder and I just have no idea where to put them.

Okay, that doesn't work. Goes into the OS as per normal even without that kext but the random freeze still occurs if no video clip is looping in the background.

... back to the drawing board :)

do u still find freezing problem, mate?

do u still find freezing problem, mate?

I'm experiencing the random freezes too. oh, just a quick question, what is the difference between the bootcamp that is natively available in mac and dual booting? I'll be gaming in windows. what is recommendeD? Thanks!

I'm experiencing the random freezes too. oh, just a quick question, what is the difference between the bootcamp that is natively available in mac and dual booting? I'll be gaming in windows. what is recommendeD? Thanks!

You are far better off duel booting with two drives as in one with os x on it and windows on the other, this is how i do it as if one breaks it dosen't take the other one with it.

Its just a case of selecting which os you want at boot up either on chamelion if thats what you use or just press F8 for your bios boot up options and select from there if your board supports this..totally painless.

You are far better off duel booting with two drives as in one with os x on it and windows on the other, this is how i do it as if one breaks it dosen't take the other one with it.

Its just a case of selecting which os you want at boot up either on chamelion if thats what you use or just press F8 for your bios boot up options and select from there if your board supports this..totally painless.

how about the settings on the bios like ahci on the hard drives? do ahci work on windows too? or should I change them back to ide?

in my case, it doesn't work. i had to change it every.single.time whenever i wanna boot into windows. if not it will resulting the old friend, BSOD.

Try this-

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
a)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
b)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

If you think the steps are complicated, then download and run this-

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9741862

After fix, change from IDE to AHCI from BIOS and check if you still get BSOD. If you don't then :P...but if you still do then B)

reading this thread i get the impression, there is noone without random freezes. to clarify this, could someone chime in if their setup is working fine without random freezes for prolonged time at idle?

important info:

model of card and manufacturer (any numbers)

mac os x version:

type of install (vanilla, modded, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or other install tools, custom dsdt vs generic etc)

thank you

to mikedp5 and akinikky: that method makes windows work on ahci mode disks, as you probably installed on ide type disk connection. with this method you can use your old install, but on ahci. otherwise if you plan to reinstall windows go ahead a install it on ahci right away. personally i did the regedit trick couple years ago and had no problems whatsover (windowsxp). there are many threads on this topic, just check it out and leave this to fermi gfx cards please

concerning stability: 10d uptime ... w/o any weird workarounds and with normal usage + some gaming and opengl testing.

mustn't necessarily be the graphics driver. might also be a weak psu or a broken system.

edit: oh, and 10J537/10.6.6 beta still doesn't contain a nvdagf100hal.kext and the opencl framework wasn't updated (still the one from august) ...

which games? things works great for me except attempting to play WoW, it goes sour immediately :(

reading this thread i get the impression, there is noone without random freezes. to clarify this, could someone chime in if their setup is working fine without random freezes for prolonged time at idle?

important info:

mac os x version:

type of install (vanilla, modded, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or other install tools, custom dsdt vs generic etc)

thank you

I don't think it happens to everyone otherwise people like Tony and MacMan (of tonymacx86) would be all over trying to find a fix for it.

Personally I've 2 rigs with Fermi and 1 is totally freeze-free :

Mobo : DFI LanParty MI P55-T36

Gfx Card : Zotac GTX 460 1GB (the one with reference design + rear exhaust)

Installation : [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with GT 240 then swap to GTX 460 + Fermi driver

... and this has random freezing problem (can be 'solved' if video clip is looping in the background) :

Mobo : Gigabyte H55M-S2 with DSDT (can't work with Fermi w/o DSDT)

Gfx Card : Gigabyte GTX 460 768MB

Installation : [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-GE + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with GT 240 then swap to GTX 460 + Fermi driver (no diff with either type of installation regarding the freezing issue)

Both can be dual-booted to Win 7 and are equally stable when running on that OS.

important info:

mac os x version:

thank you

Main is....

Asus p5k motherboard P35 chipset.

Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum

!0.6.5 Vanilla yousing macloader_SL_0.4 and DSTD patcher.

This is a solid system i have had running for 18 months now with no essiuse with a 9800gtx+.

Did what everybody else did as in 10.6.5 update + fermi drivers then cuda driver, made shure Grapics Enabler=yes. Swapped card over for the 460.

Booted and everything seemed ok apart from card type was missing in sys profile so i used pacifist and extracted cameleon 2 RC5 boot loader and dropped this into my EFI partition.

Booted and card info was correct and seemed like a perfect system untill these freezes!!

I have repatched my DSDT again with 460 in thinking this might glue it all together better put still getting freezes.

I have since put my 9800 back in to get stability,and was thinking if others have maaged to get 460`s working plus no freezes then mybe the driver is ok and could it be a hardware motherboard + 460 + os x compatability problem?

Anyone got any ideas!

@loui Re: working systems.

Please see the thread I started regarding GTX-460 that work:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8547

My system:

GA-X58A-UD5

i7-980x

GTX-470-MSi-Twin-Frozer

OSX-10.6.5

nVidia update

Chameleon RC5

My system locks up if I use Perian. But oddly only if I use Perian to drive videos in Quicktime on my secondary monitor. No lockup using primary monitor. To resolve the lockup issue I just Use Movist, or Boxee instead of Perian+Quicktime.

Also system works perfectly with GTX240, 260, or 280. Don't recommend the 470 because the cost to performance is not worth the cost, as 470 in Cinebench scores same as GTX260.

Hope that helps.

rabbit

@loui Re: working systems.

Please see the thread I started regarding GTX-460 that work:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8547

My system:

GA-X58A-UD5

i7-980x

GTX-470-MSi-Twin-Frozer

OSX-10.6.5

nVidia update

Chameleon RC5

My system locks up if I use Perian. But oddly only if I use Perian to drive videos in Quicktime on my secondary monitor. No lockup using primary monitor. To resolve the lockup issue I just Use Movist, or Boxee instead of Perian+Quicktime.

Also system works perfectly with GTX240, 260, or 280. Don't recommend the 470 because the cost to performance is not worth the cost, as 470 in Cinebench scores same as GTX260.

Hope that helps.

rabbit

Thanks rabbit, but i am still none the wiser as my card has 1GB of mem. but it looks like there are quite a few other 460 owners with no solutions after reading your other thread.

When you say you use Movist or Boxee do you mean that your looping a video in the backround like others have said here to stop freezez?

@loui

No. If I just don't use quicktime it's fine. I think the problem other are talking about are specific to the GTX-460 768M

The GTX-460 MSi 1G seems to be fine. All of the 768M cards seem to have problems.

rabbit.

the freezing and KP problems are also on 1GB versions of the GTX460.

...snip...

Interesting... I have a GTX 275 and I get about 19.5 fps in Cinebench...

Patrick

@loui

No. If I just don't use quicktime it's fine. I think the problem other are talking about are specific to the GTX-460 768M

The GTX-460 MSi 1G seems to be fine. All of the 768M cards seem to have problems.

rabbit.

Hmmmm. I wish this was true but in my case i have had freeses when not using quicktime.Just being on the internet or being in itunes can cause a freeze..Infact i can honestly say that i hav`nt even got round to using quicktime when testing.

But xbench or cinebench or anything that taxes the cpu abit oddly seems to be fine.

I've got the GT425M. Added the device id (0df0 10de) to NVDANV100Hal. The card is not recognized. What other kexts should be patched? Is it better to edit the DSDT with the required info? Thanks for your help.

there is no need to change/add device ids in any kext plist any more.

your card should be recognized by chameleon if you installed it correctly.

which games? things works great for me except attempting to play WoW, it goes sour immediately :(

sry, wow wasn't one of them ;) but blizzards opengl renderers were always buggy/unstable (in addition to apples buggy/unstable opengl implementation ...).

anyways, portal is working fine, cider games seem to work okay too, nexuiz is working and i tested bfbc2 in parallels (works with low settings, but mouse input sucks).

also: safari is working w/o problems and i can watch movies w/o problems (no hardware decoding though :/).

cmf Posted Today, 11:21 AM

QUOTE (toleda @ Dec 5 2010, 05:37 AM)

I've got the GT425M. Added the device id (0df0 10de) to NVDANV100Hal. The card is not recognized. What other kexts should be patched? Is it better to edit the DSDT with the required info? Thanks for your help.

there is no need to change/add device ids in any kext plist any more.

your card should be recognized by chameleon if you installed it correctly.

Thanks for the reply. With GraphicsEnabler=No, the card is not recognized but HDMI video works. With Graphics Enabler=Yes, the card is recognized and boots fine. Unfortunately, HDMI video works through boot but the HDMI signal disappears when the desktop would show. Had to Share Screen in to see the GT425M recognized in SystemProfiler. The DVI port only works after the desktop shows up. NVDAGF100HAL is loaded and registered. Any ideas why HDMI fails when the card is enabled?