fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Same problem here with GTX 460 with GraphicsEnabler = yes (using ANVAL 5.0.9) or even editing DSDT with GeForce config. :wacko:

EDIT: SOLVED!!!

Just reinstall with the packages directly.

1. Run Nvidia Driver
  2. When window open right click NVIDA Retail Mac Driver and choose: Show Package
  3. Inside Packages folder run the 3 PKG files (Display Driver.pkg, OpenGL Driver.pkg and Video Driver.pkg)

post-216673-1294348165_thumb.jpg

Steps and files?? please

forgive my noob'ness here. new to the whole Hackintosh scene

1. does fermi mean same as CUDA?
  2. amongst these 73pgs which part is the up-to-date 'dummies' guide for 10.6.5
  3. does this guide work with CUDA on GTX 480?

apologies if school boy questions & thanks in advance for any spoon fed info ;)

Ok, I'm happy to report that tonymac's tweaked nvidia driver worked for me on 10.6.6 (installed manually)

*note* I've also used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install chameleon (don't know if this is required but I thought I should report to be more complete)

Yes, the tweaked driver gave me 1920x1080 and qe/ci back, but my xbench score went down a tad from 229 to about 220 in the move. (Not halved as previously indicated). Edited 12 Jan 2011.

Well yes, the tweaked driver gave me 1920x1080 and apparently qe/ci back, but my xbench score went from 229 to 110 in the move. damn!

hmmm weird, my performance is as before.

I'm not sure what you did but perhaps check what your 'mac' is reported as? mine is macpro4,1... i remember tweaking some plist (as per tip from earlier in the thread). sounds like power management issue

I have a brand new GTX 460, bought it today. Swapped out the card, booted in safe mode, installed the TonyMacx86 nVidia driver, rebooted like normal, and all is well but OMG trying to update Starcraft II and it gets to the same point every time and it kernel panics. Probably not the nVidia card's fault, most likely Starcraft II doing something strange. Cos I can kill it every time without really any effort.

Well, it seems that with GraphicsEnabler it's just not stable. I've had it crash doing all sort of stuff now. In Windows, the card is great. Performance and stability are amazing. But in OS X it's very touchy. Are there different methods other than graphics enabler that are more stable?

Has anybody found a fix to the freezing issue? Unless I set the wallpaper as a moving screensaver my EVGA GTX 460 768MB randomly freezes.

I tried this (from Nvidia Forum)

4. BIOS settings. There are a few settings people keep reporting success with. They are:

Setting PCI-E Frequency either to 100, 103, 105, or 110

I overclocked PCI-E to 103 mhz in BIOS and had some improved in stability.

source: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401&st=0

Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-GE doesn't work on my Clevo D900F i7 980X GTX 480M. Trying to load up Snow 10.6.3 retail install disc and all I get is shutdown screen. I've only been able to install and get partially running (only in VESA mode) Snow with iATKOS on the PCJKernel but I want to be able to install and run from the retail disc I bought.

Same problem here with GTX 460 with GraphicsEnabler = yes (using ANVAL 5.0.9) or even editing DSDT with GeForce config. ;)

EDIT: SOLVED!!!

Just reinstall with the packages directly.

1. Run Nvidia Driver
  2. When window open right click NVIDA Retail Mac Driver and choose: Show Package
  3. Inside Packages folder run the 3 PKG files (Display Driver.pkg, OpenGL Driver.pkg and Video Driver.pkg)

post-216673-1294348165_thumb.jpg

this works with GTX480 also

Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-GE doesn't work on my Clevo D900F i7 980X GTX 480M. Trying to load up Snow 10.6.3 retail install disc and all I get is shutdown screen. I've only been able to install and get partially running (only in VESA mode) Snow with iATKOS on the PCJKernel but I want to be able to install and run from the retail disc I bought.

I believe you need at least a 10.6.4 kernel to recognize 980x. I had to do that to get snow working on my 980x.

-Tom

forgive my noob'ness here. new to the whole Hackintosh scene

1. does fermi mean same as CUDA?
  2. amongst these 73pgs which part is the up-to-date 'dummies' guide for 10.6.5
  3. does this guide work with CUDA on GTX 480?

apologies if school boy questions & thanks in advance for any spoon fed info ;)

is nobody going help a noob out ;)

this works with GTX480 also

does this mean CUDA is working? how? steps please?

im about to drop ££ for GPU, for my 1st build next month. I'd like to get confirmation that 480 works fully otherwise i'll just get the 470

Seems you guys seem to know what your doing...help a fellow noob out pleaseeee. zero build experiance and limited techno dictionary ;)

I believe you need at least a 10.6.4 kernel to recognize 980x. I had to do that to get snow working on my 980x.

-Tom

The iATKOS S3 V2 that does install and boots up normally with the PCJ Kernel is 10.6.3 though. I was also able to install Snow retail 10.6.3 with a different bootloader but couldn't boot up to desktop because it did not have the modified kernel (PCJ Kernel). With Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-GE, I can't even boot to install screen because I get the screen asking to shut down the computer.

UPDATE: I installed with iATKOS S3 V2 normally and updated to 10.6.6. I then installed Tonymac's Nvidia drivers. I rebooted from CD Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-GE and I am getting full resolution. The audio also works, however System Profiler incorrectly shows I have 4 GB of RAM when I have 12. It has my processor listed as 3.33 GHz Unknown for my i7 980X. I then ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Install that comes with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r668 bootloader and then restarted. I rebooted from the installed bootloader and now the System Profiler shows correctly that I have 12 GB of RAM but my processor info is still not identified. Only this time the audio is disabled. I booted again from Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-GE disc and the audio still works from there. Any idea why Snow is behaving differently with these two bootloaders regarding audio and System Profile?

is nobody going help a noob out :D

im about to drop ££ for GPU, for my 1st build next month. I'd like to get confirmation that 480 works fully otherwise i'll just get the 470

Seems you guys seem to know what your doing...help a fellow noob out pleaseeee. zero build experiance and limited techno dictionary :P

I can't say anything about any other models but my gtx 470 works - so does cuda. opencl does not work as far as I know. I'm using tonymac's tweaked nvidia driver on 10.6.6

is nobody going help a noob out :D

Seems you guys seem to know what your doing...help a fellow noob out pleaseeee. zero build experiance and limited techno dictionary :P

CUDA is working. I mainly use my rig to do video editing and graphic design. mercury playback in CS5 is supported by doing "the hack" = CUDA is needed. i used the kext that is in the first thread and then installed the official graphic drivers from nvidia [quadro 256 somthing like that ] when i updated to 10.6.6

I can't say anything about any other models but my gtx 470 works - so does cuda. opencl does not work as far as I know. I'm using tonymac's tweaked nvidia driver on 10.6.6

Thanks for confirm GTX 470.

CUDA is working. I mainly use my rig to do video editing and graphic design. mercury playback in CS5 is supported by doing "the hack" = CUDA is needed. i used the kext that is in the first thread and then installed the official graphic drivers from nvidia [quadro 256 somthing like that ] when i updated to 10.6.6

excellent many thanks A_RocC. I am building a rig to do exact same as you 80% Video Editing of AVCHD format in PremProCS5. 'The Hack' meaning the kext and drivers? Is having the GTX480 worth over the 470, in your opinion?

What is your rig spec? I am planning to build HackPro the according based on NoFilmSchool replace the i7 930 with i7 950 and GTX 470 or 480.

Thanks guys :(

you will be editing AVCHD without problems. the hack meaning this http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm << scroll down all the way to the bottom if you dont want to read... ,but if you get a 470 you dont need to since its compatible by default. im not really sure if its worth over the 470 since i upgraded from a 9800gt. but you could do your own research about it with the benchmarks and stuff. google is your friend.

heres my system specs... 2 years of 5D footage + RED footage = 10TB lol. 5TB for usable space and 5TB for back up. im planning to get an SSD for the OSX and applications soon.

Motherboard:EVGA x58 132-BL-E758-A1

CPU:Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz

Memory:24 GB G.skill DDR3 1333 MHz

HDD:10 x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Graphics Card:EVGA Geforce GTX480 1536 mb

Monitor:Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Rev. A02

Audio: Onboard

heres my system specs... 2 years of 5D footage + RED footage = 10TB lol. 5TB for usable space and 5TB for back up. im planning to get an SSD for the OSX and applications soon.

If you are planning on a large SSD then do yourself a favour and get two smaller ones and RAID0 them for twice the speed at pretty much the same cost.

you will be editing AVCHD without problems. the hack meaning this http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm << scroll down all the way to the bottom if you dont want to read... ,but if you get a 470 you dont need to since its compatible by default. im not really sure if its worth over the 470 since i upgraded from a 9800gt. but you could do your own research about it with the benchmarks and stuff. google is your friend.

12) Now start follow steps 28 through 30 under the Windows section.

There are no steps 28 through 30. There's just 1 through 19 (Windows Manual Method?)

12) Now start follow steps 28 through 30 under the Windows section.

There are no steps 28 through 30. There's just 1 through 19 (Windows Manual Method?)

step 11 is the last step. after that you just need to open Premiere Pro Cs5 and when you create a new project you select GPU accelerated in the mercury playback option.

Motherboard:EVGA x58 132-BL-E758-A1

CPU:Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz

Memory:24 GB G.skill DDR3 1333 MHz

HDD:10 x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Graphics Card:EVGA Geforce GTX480 1536 mb

Monitor:Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Rev. A02

Audio: Onboard

that article i one awesome read! so much info and detailed excellent read for anyone like me thanks A_RocC. The section on 'cooling' was very interesting. Have you add any extra cooling?

Thanks will talk to my friend Mr G Oogle for benchmarks. Ye i thought GTX470 would be safer option out of the box. As i need the rig to be stable and running a.sap! Thanks for confirm on GTX 480, will still continue research on both see which is better.

RED! wow serious piece of kit there :D not in the movie industry are you? Panavision or something ;)

Once big thanks to all.

that article i one awesome read! so much info and detailed excellent read for anyone like me thanks A_RocC. The section on 'cooling' was very interesting. Have you add any extra cooling?

Thanks will talk to my friend Mr G Oogle for benchmarks. Ye i thought GTX470 would be safer option out of the box. As i need the rig to be stable and running a.sap! Thanks for confirm on GTX 480, will still continue research on both see which is better.

RED! wow serious piece of kit there :blush: not in the movie industry are you? Panavision or something :D

Once big thanks to all.

i just have the stock cooler for the GTX480. i haven't had a chance to work with any panavision equipments yet, but i was privileged enough to work with the ARRI ALEXA.