Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

Just curious if you tried v2.53 of VoodooHDA as it is available. I noticed the version you posted as almost perfect was 2.52. Mine is supposed to be here no later than Tuesday, but hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

I haven't seen it - where did you find it?

Found the /extra folder however can't find a way to delete it.The best I was able to do was drag and drop the contents into a seperate new folder on the desktop and copy/paste your files into it. Once we replace the folder though do we still need to run the other file included in the zip? Also updating to 10.6.2 anything we need to do other than just download the file? I thought I read somewhere about deleting the sleep kext but wanted to make sure. After this finishes we need to upload the patched kernel before reboot correct? For this do we just move it to the desktop and click the file to run it?

Thanks relatively new to macs.

Yes, read the instructions. You can completely remove the old Extra folder by opening Terminal and typing the following:

sudo rm -rf /Extra

Then copy over the files from the zip.

After you've done this, yet again, you need to use the patched kernel I linked before you install 10.6.2. Install it by first renaming it to "mach_kernel_atom" and then drag it to the root of your hard drive. Once you've run the 10.6.2 installer, reboot and when you get to the Chameleon boot prompt, instead of letting it count down or hitting enter you need to type in "mach_kernel_atom arch=i386 -v", and you should be able to get in to OS X. Once you've done that, open up Terminal and type this:

cd /

sudo rm -rf mach_kernel

sudo mv mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel

sudo reboot

After that you shouldn't have to change anything in order to be able to boot normally.

I posted a link to it way back in post #58. Might have been before your time. You can find it here.

Thanks, I guess I missed that before - it actually does sound better!

It's still a little distorted, though. Do you know if the source code is available? I was looking at Realtek's site earlier and found out that the difference between the ALC268 and ALC269 is an internal gain amplifier on the 269, which would likely explain why it's distorted at higher volumes, I think. I have the source for 0.2.52, but the hdac code it's based on is pretty outdated (the actual VoodooHDA code is from November and 0.2.53 appears to be from January anyway).

edit: Actually, I was able to fix this somewhat by lowering the iMix in the VoodooHDA prefpanel - I've attached the latest version of it I could find (0.2.43). It's still not perfect, but it's much better.

VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

Thanks, I guess I missed that before - it actually does sound better!

It's still a little distorted, though. Do you know if the source code is available? I was looking at Realtek's site earlier and found out that the difference between the ALC268 and ALC269 is an internal gain amplifier on the 269, which would likely explain why it's distorted at higher volumes, I think. I have the source for 0.2.52, but the hdac code it's based on is pretty outdated (the actual VoodooHDA code is from November and 0.2.53 appears to be from January anyway).

edit: Actually, I was able to fix this somewhat by lowering the iMix in the VoodooHDA prefpanel - I've attached the latest version of it I could find (0.2.43). It's still not perfect, but it's much better.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=483

source code of 2.53

This is kinda emberrasing, but i'm into stupid questions. I try to do and learn on the fly as much as I can, but hey, i too am pretty new to all this.

I got my 1201n up to 10.6.2, i got the scratchysound, i got external monitors going (one at a time), shutdowning and restarting (the one time today i tried sleep with this latest install, i gave up after a minute and shut it off), wifi a go with a swap, but i got that 32xtrackpad driver and i want to boot into 32 bit mode so i can use the trackpad again.

Yes, i know, boot option arch=1386,but this is the problem, chameleon doesn't let me put in an option, just zooms on by the five seconds it ought to allow me to interrupt the boot and insert my options.

Thoughts?

is there a script i could run to keep it in 32 mode?

Plus, anyone can point me to a sight, a guide, a real book even, that will get me up to speed on the abc's so that maybe i could be of more help, not necesarrily to those here, but so i can help my friends who are noobier than i am?

my temporary workaround is to boot from my installer usb stick which does give me the time.

Amf5,

I've have used your extra folder with kosterin dsdt to get 2 cores and 2 hyperthreading enabled for upgrading to (pacthed 64bit 10.6.2 kernel) and it worked out perfectly, Thanks for superb instructions. How about booting in 64bit mode if desired, editing com.apple.boot.plist with arch=x86_64 had no sucess. Thanks.

Okay then, thanks.

I switched out amf5's extra folder with kosterin's and now i got the trackpad again, but no clicking, i can only move around and use the two buttons, but that is okay for now, because i see FOUR CORES!!! yippee!!

i will keep watching

oh, and i see the battery now too, much helpful.

Thoughts?

is there a script i could run to keep it in 32 mode?

You could add "arch=i386" under "Boot Flags" in com.apple.Boot.plist (in /Extra), but Chameleon should let you enter options during the 5-second countdown. I'm not really sure what's wrong if it's not (input there should be handled by the BIOS) - try going into the BIOS setup by hitting F2 when you see the eeePC boot screen and resetting it to its defaults. Alternatively, if you're sure you've got a patched kernel for 10.6.2 working, you could simply just replace Chameleon with a new copy (for example just download this and copy "boot" to /).

Amf5,

I've have used your extra folder with kosterin dsdt to get 2 cores and 2 hyperthreading enabled for upgrading to (pacthed 64bit 10.6.2 kernel) and it worked out perfectly, Thanks for superb instructions. How about booting in 64bit mode if desired, editing com.apple.boot.plist with arch=x86_64 had no sucess. Thanks.

The kexts I uploaded in that folder aren't 64-bit - I'm not having much luck tracking down versions that are, unfortunately. If it's any consolation, there's not much of a benefit in using the 64-bit kernel unless you have over 8 GB of RAM (and I know you don't :)). 64-bit applications work the same way using the mixed-mode 32-bit kernel, they just can't access an obscene amount of memory - open up Activity Monitor and you'll see mostly 64-bit processes running.

There's really no reason to use the 64-bit kernel on a netbook. The majority of actual Macs running Snow Leopard can't use it either, so don't feel left out or anything.

Most of the hotkeys that control hardware functions (like brightness or switching to external monitor output) work fine as-is. The only ones that don't are those that would control things in OS X (like volume).

Okay, I have my 1201N now and I think I'm up to speed. Running amf5 /Extra folder with his sound fixes enabled. Wow, either I'm missing something or your idea of It's still not perfect, but it's much better is different from mine. I would have hated to hear it when it was really bad. At least it's a start. BTW, I too got a KP when installing VoodooHDA and I removed AppleHDA. Sound is no better though.

What is the progress of getting it to work via AppleHDA? I assume this means mapping into the DSDT? I'm not much on that, but if I can help in anyway, please let me know. I do have a friend who has much more experience with DSDT and he has the 1201N, but I have not heard much out of him lately.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank all those who have worked so hard to get this system to where it is today. It is much appreciated by me and those who follow.

Thanks amf5, i'm gonna give that a try asap!, after work.:'(

and i have now, bad news first, i still can't tappy tap on the track pad,

however, the boot file replacement totally fixed my boot up countdown problem and i can key in all the boot options i need to now.

i am in awe at how far this whole shebang has come along in two weeks!

And i just discovered the sleep finally works, 2 seconds, bam!

All you do is...

1) Run NetbookBootMaker (witht he usb drive as the target).

2) Install OS X using the usb drive.

Just out of curiosity. How long does the install usually take? I tried running it last night and when it got to 10 minutes remaining it just stood there for an hour. There was no hard drive activity light nor did the USB activity light. I'm trying again right now but wanted to know if I should just let it run or if something is wrong.

Just out of curiosity. How long does the install usually take? I tried running it last night and when it got to 10 minutes remaining it just stood there for an hour. There was no hard drive activity light nor did the USB activity light. I'm trying again right now but wanted to know if I should just let it run or if something is wrong.

It happened the same to me but when 8 minutes where remaining. You have to quit the installer and tell it to restart your computer, when the screen turns grey switch the computer off with the power button. Then switch it on again with the USB Stick inserted, and select it pressing ESC on the list. When it starts booting on "Mac OS X install DVD" press space bar, and select Macintosh HD or whatever you have named the Partition with OS X. Once you have booted in run Netbook installer from your USB, select your partition, and uncheck generate DSDT. A folder will be created ("Your computer's name/Extra) This Extra folder you replace it with the good /Extra Folder that you have in your usb, for instance, the one in this thread from meklort for 1201N.

I hope it helps.

By waiting I was able to get mine down to 7 minutes. Checking the installer logs revealed it was in the post installation mode of deleting install files and it hangs when it can't find certain files to delete. HTH

EDIT: BTW, if you plan to use amf5's /Extra folder after the initial install, be sure you have updated to 10.6.2 first. Otherwise it will KP on boot with a mismatch. I must of missed that in earlier posts.

@amf5: Did you read THe KiNG's guide on mapping the DSDT for AppleHDA? I was a little amazed at just how complicated this is, but it looks like this is the only way to get proper sound. Plus I noticed with VoodooHDA that the sound clears up with mouse moment and that others found fixes for this. Have you tried any of those fixes?

It happened the same to me but when 8 minutes where remaining. You have to quit the installer and tell it to restart your computer, when the screen turns grey switch the computer off with the power button. Then switch it on again with the USB Stick inserted, and select it pressing ESC on the list. When it starts booting on "Mac OS X install DVD" press space bar, and select Macintosh HD or whatever you have named the Partition with OS X. Once you have booted in run Netbook installer from your USB, select your partition, and uncheck generate DSDT. A folder will be created ("Your computer's name/Extra) This Extra folder you replace it with the good /Extra Folder that you have in your usb, for instance, the one in this thread from meklort for 1201N.

I hope it helps.

Thank you very much. This worked BUT now I think I have a bigger problem. I got up to the point where I had to replace the Extra folder with the one on my USB. I couldn't find the folder so I figured it was hidden so I started doing the research on my PC on how to unhide the files/directories and my 1201n fell asleep. NEedless to say it does not do anything anymore. I pulled the battery out and rebooted and all i get is a blank screen now. No bios, pressing f2, everything. Nothing is happening. The only thing i see on is the lights for power & wifi. Did my 1201n just take a {censored}?

EDIT: I took the battery out while it was on and when i put it back in I got my bios back. I'm back in Snow Leopard. I can't seem to find the Extra directory on my local drive. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to find it? Or are my files still hidden. I tried this method, http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

By waiting I was able to get mine down to 7 minutes. Checking the installer logs revealed it was in the post installation mode of deleting install files and it hangs when it can't find certain files to delete. HTH

EDIT: BTW, if you plan to use amf5's /Extra folder after the initial install, be sure you have updated to 10.6.2 first. Otherwise it will KP on boot with a mismatch. I must of missed that in earlier posts.

@amf5: Did you read THe KiNG's guide on mapping the DSDT for AppleHDA? I was a little amazed at just how complicated this is, but it looks like this is the only way to get proper sound. Plus I noticed with VoodooHDA that the sound clears up with mouse moment and that others found fixes for this. Have you tried any of those fixes?

I gave it a shot but it didn't work, actually. I was kind of just doing quickly it without really checking on mistakes :angry: so I probably screwed something up somewhere. I'll attach my dumps to this post to give anyone who wants to work on it a head start.

I also haven't tried a couple of patches to VoodooHDA yet, but I did find that sound is noticably worse with it if you delete AppleHDA. Strangely, a pretty good workaround for this is to install VoodooHDA to /S/L/E and then install the 10.6.2 combo update (make sure you have a backup of the patched kernel first obviously). In the meantime I've rolled back to 0.2.52 anyway since iMix kept resetting itself every time the computer would wake from sleep, which was more annoying than the scratchy audio ;)

Thank you very much. This worked BUT now I think I have a bigger problem. I got up to the point where I had to replace the Extra folder with the one on my USB. I couldn't find the folder so I figured it was hidden so I started doing the research on my PC on how to unhide the files/directories and my 1201n fell asleep. NEedless to say it does not do anything anymore. I pulled the battery out and rebooted and all i get is a blank screen now. No bios, pressing f2, everything. Nothing is happening. The only thing i see on is the lights for power & wifi. Did my 1201n just take a {censored}?

EDIT: I took the battery out while it was on and when i put it back in I got my bios back. I'm back in Snow Leopard. I can't seem to find the Extra directory on my local drive. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to find it? Or are my files still hidden. I tried this method, http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

1. Open Terminal

2. cd /

3. sudo chmod -R 777 Extra

ALC269.zip

i use OnyX to go back and forth between showing and hiding hidden files and folders, but i think you will find various terminal commands peppered throughout these postings as well.

p.s., i thought sleep was working smoothly, but that seems to have been a one time fluke, but it felt nice.

I gave it a shot but it didn't work, actually. I was kind of just doing quickly it without really checking on mistakes -_- so I probably screwed something up somewhere. I'll attach my dumps to this post to give anyone who wants to work on it a head start.

I also haven't tried a couple of patches to VoodooHDA yet, but I did find that sound is noticably worse with it if you delete AppleHDA. Strangely, a pretty good workaround for this is to install VoodooHDA to /S/L/E and then install the 10.6.2 combo update (make sure you have a backup of the patched kernel first obviously). In the meantime I've rolled back to 0.2.52 anyway since iMix kept resetting itself every time the computer would wake from sleep, which was more annoying than the scratchy audio ;)

Yeah I read it all the way through, but it looked pretty complicated. I may give it a shot.

I don't think I'm at the same point as you, for one thing, adjusting the iMix in the pref pane makes no diff for me. And it does reset each time which is annoying. I may give the 2.52 version a shot to see if this makes any diff. I have also been searching everywhere I can to find a solution, but so far no magic bullet. :(

Yeah I read it all the way through, but it looked pretty complicated. I may give it a shot.

I don't think I'm at the same point as you, for one thing, adjusting the iMix in the pref pane makes no diff for me. And it does reset each time which is annoying. I may give the 2.52 version a shot to see if this makes any diff. I have also been searching everywhere I can to find a solution, but so far no magic bullet. ;)

Did you try setting the sampling rate to 16-bit/44100KHz in Audio MIDI Setup?