Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

So which audio codec is used in the 1201N? At least I can help search until I get mine. ;)

EDIT: Went through and re-read the 1201n thread. Must have missed this before.

In post #47 meklort wrote:

No audio kext is loaded. You can use VoodooHDA, or you can find a version of AppleHDA that work with the 885 codec.

Knowing this, I found this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t71257.html

May not be much, but it's a start.

Also found this related to ALC 885 DSDT search:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t161950.html

Mosslack,

I have Asus 1201n U.S.A version, does this mean I have ALC269 codec? Please see picture below under Win7. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4260741567/

I wasn't aware there are differences between different country versions. I don't have mine yet so I can't say for sure, but mine would be US version also. Can someone who has another country version verify if their's has the 885 or 269? IIRC the 269 is the same as in my Neutrino and sound works perfectly with it. As a matter of fact, I used the Eee PC install for that system in 10.5, used the NetbootBootmaker in 10.6 and the NetbookInstaller for 10.6.2. I'm sure sound will be cracked very soon, maybe by the time mine arrives. ;)

I wasn't aware there are differences between different country versions. I don't have mine yet so I can't say for sure, but mine would be US version also. Can someone who has another country version verify if their's has the 885 or 269? IIRC the 269 is the same as in my Neutrino and sound works perfectly with it. As a matter of fact, I used the Eee PC install for that system in 10.5, used the NetbootBootmaker in 10.6 and the NetbookInstaller for 10.6.2. I'm sure sound will be cracked very soon, maybe by the time mine arrives. :P

Thanks for encouragement, I would love to have ALC 269 working kext with this great Netbook.

Anyone have a list of what kexts we need/are currently using to get Snow running? I'm planning to do a vanilla install when I get mine next week, and will make the bootloader by hand, instead of with NetbookMaker, so wondering what kexts we're using, and from where (helps to keep an eye out then for updates)

EDIT: Also, maybe we can follow this thread for getting the LAN working? As far as I can tell from poking in the Windows LAN drivers, that should be the right Lan card

Anyone have a list of what kexts we need/are currently using to get Snow running? I'm planning to do a vanilla install when I get mine next week, and will make the bootloader by hand, instead of with NetbookMaker, so wondering what kexts we're using, and from where (helps to keep an eye out then for updates)

EDIT: Also, maybe we can follow this thread for getting the LAN working? As far as I can tell from poking in the Windows LAN drivers, that should be the right Lan card

This is what I'm using currently:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

EvOreboot.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

ApplePS2Mouse.kext

fakesmc.kext

I'm not using onboard Ethernet so I haven't bothered looking for how to support it. Also, I'm not using VoodooHDA because honestly no sound is better than what you get. I've attached a pin config dump if anyone wants to help out getting audio to work.

pinconfig.txt

Thanks for encouragement, I would love to have ALC 269 working kext with this great Netbook.

What got it working on the Neutrino was a combo of VoodooHDA and IOAudioFamily kexts. These files can be found here. This also includes a VoodooHDA prefpane.

What got it working on the Neutrino was a combo of VoodooHDA and IOAudioFamily kexts. These files can be found here. This also includes a VoodooHDA prefpane.

It works with VoodooHDA, it just sounds terrible since it's really really distorted unless the volume is set ridiculously low, while what I'm guessing is feedback from the internal microphone plays very loud static. Like I said earlier, at this point, no audio is actually better than VoodooHDA - it's that bad.

Sorry, I forgot a step. I pulled this up from the guide I wrote for the Neutrino:

Fixing sound. You will need these files for this. First, remove the AppleHDA.kext from the S/L/E folder. Next, using Kext Utility or similar app, install the IOAudioFamily.kext and VoodooHDA.kext. Reboot. Once the system is back up you should have the volume control visible in the menu bar. Now you need to install the VoodooHDA.prefPane by double clicking it. You can then use it to set the controls as you wish.

I only mention this as this was the fix used on the Asus Eee PC and it worked as well for the Neutrino which also has the ALC 269 audio codec. HTH

Any word on getting the wireless card to work? With that working this netbook would be super nice. ==

Sorry I am new too this so bare with me :( thanks

ps: is there any good wireless N replacement card? or cheap alternative?

Any word on getting the wireless card to work? With that working this netbook would be super nice. ==

Sorry I am new too this so bare with me :lol: thanks

ps: is there any good wireless N replacement card? or cheap alternative?

Nah looks like a swap is a must.. fortunately its not that hard i did it on my old eee's, takes bout 15 20 min to do... a good one is the Dell 1510 which is half high and looks like its perfect fit ,or best is the BCM94321MC for all other full height cards there like 15 20 $ on ebay.... im getting my 1201n on Monday got a whole week to wait cant wait to rip out the HDD and WIFI and have this baby fly

PS if u want to take apart the EEE google "EEE tear down clamshell" should get u in the right path

Hi, I´m from Brazil.

My english is not 100%.

Could you please post a step by step to install SL in my 1201n?

I´ve read this forum, but there are too many information.

I have a real iMac, if it helps.

Thanks!

http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml

as for the rest of the kexts etc this topic has them pretty much covers read up and it should b pretty EZ

Although I've been planning on purchasing an HP Mini 311 netbook to put Snow Leopard on, I've also been keeping my eye on the Asus Eee PC 1201N. Laptop Magazine posted some news about it last night and it's shaping up to be a potentially awesome OS X machine.

Specs:

Anyone else hoping to get OS X running on this?

Me but I'm not a hackintosh expert so I don't know wether this netbook will be able to run osx or not...

I followed Meklort's posts and instructions and OSX is now running on my 1201n!

Unfortunately there are a few things not working right.

I have no battery icon whatsoever and I can't tell how much power I have, whether its charging or not, etc.

Whenever I boot up Snow Leopard - "unable to patch 64bit kernel" comes up in the top left corner. I'm assuming that's not normal?

My GPU comes up as an unknown nvidia card... I have full resolution... but it doesn't appear to me that qe/ci is working... How can I tell if it is working? Isn't system profiler supposed to let me know?

BTW: to install my 1510 i used this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=388097 It wasn't perfect, but it gave me a good enough understanding in order to take it apart.

My GPU comes up as an unknown nvidia card... I have full resolution... but it doesn't appear to me that qe/ci is working... How can I tell if it is working? Isn't system profiler supposed to let me know?

Unknown nvidia card doesn't bother me as long QE/CI is working properly. See this info regarding SL and QE/Coreimage:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

my 1201n show QE enabled, played chess, screen saver, dashboard, 1080p movies...not a problem what so ever....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4270176051/

HELP!!!

Ok so i made the bootable usb, I get into the osx start up and it asks what language I want, ect. When i get to where im supposed to chose where to install osx it doesn't let me... it shows my USB drive thats it, i open Disk Utility and it also shows my USB hd also... is there something i am doing wrong? i tried reformatting the Internal hard drive with

DISKPART> Select disk 1

DISKPART> Select partition 2

DISKPART> Delete partition

DISKPART> create partition primary id=af

but yet it doesnt show... Did I do something wrong?

also I dont mind erasing my whole harddrive

I also have the RTL8185L chipset wireless card is this supported?

HELP!!!

Ok so i made the bootable usb, I get into the osx start up and it asks what language I want, ect. When i get to where im supposed to chose where to install osx it doesn't let me... it shows my USB drive thats it, i open Disk Utility and it also shows my USB hd also... is there something i am doing wrong? i tried reformatting the Internal hard drive with

DISKPART> Select disk 1

DISKPART> Select partition 2

DISKPART> Delete partition

DISKPART> create partition primary id=af

but yet it doesnt show... Did I do something wrong?

also I dont mind erasing my whole harddrive

I also have the RTL8185L chipset wireless card is this supported?

The drive needs to be formatted as HFS if you want to use OS X, so you can't format it using diskpart under Windows.

1. Open up Disk Utility

2. click on the drive

3. go to the Erase tab

4. select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type

5. click erase

I have no battery icon whatsoever and I can't tell how much power I have, whether its charging or not, etc.

Whenever I boot up Snow Leopard - "unable to patch 64bit kernel" comes up in the top left corner. I'm assuming that's not normal?

You need to do two things - the battery kext only works in 32-bit mode, so you'll have to change that in your com.apple.Boot.plist (or just download the zip file I posted above and use that one).

Secondly, the 64-bit patch Chameleon is referring to is for the 10.6.2 kernel, so to make that go away all you have to do is upgrade.

You need to do two things - the battery kext only works in 32-bit mode, so you'll have to change that in your com.apple.Boot.plist (or just download the zip file I posted above and use that one).

Secondly, the 64-bit patch Chameleon is referring to is for the 10.6.2 kernel, so to make that go away all you have to do is upgrade.

@amf5

yah i opened disk utility but they only thing that shows up is my usb drive that i used to boot osx... did i do something wrong? Im using ideneb v1.4 10.5.5 if that means anything

Hmh, id check bios that alls well in there... try using something like a LIVE Disk if u can maybe even geta ubuntu disk and use there utilities i find it much better to formart drives with GParted and its easy to use

and personally i always had better progresswith IPC 10.5.6 it always worked with out issues,

also try it with retail 10.6 i think at this point we can let the 10.5.x rest, netbook installer seams to be the way to go

I've been collecting information from this thread, linked threads and necessary downloads, etc. because I'm planning on buying a 1201N when I get my tax returns (should be end of the month or beginning of Feb, like last year) as long as it's still available on Amazon.

Also, the wifi card is the 1510 "PCI Express half-height" wireless card, right?

I want to thank you guys for providing information and to Meklort for creating the Netbookmaker. Has anyone figured out or found a better solution for the sound and/or the wired ethernet? Ethernet isn't a huge deal. But I listen to a lot of music, but I suppose I can pick up an ipod to plug my speakers into and just play from that until something better than Voodoo is put together if it's really that unbearable. But I like system sounds... like Mail and iChat notifications.

Lastly... amf5's extras folder is different from Meklort's. I assume I should just use a kext utility to install the ones missing from Meklort's?

I used amf5's and meklorts Extra files and both go into a boot cycle for me on 10.6 snow leopard, i also used Notbookmaker because netbookinstaller couldn't see my usb hard drive. There has to be something i am doing wrong ive followed and re-read meklorts and all the posts and did it step by step... still no luck did you guys run osx without changing any bios settings? or any other settings?

Correct, I have one in my HP Mini 311 as the wifi card in it originally was not Snow Leopard friendly. The 1510 works great!

I've been collecting information from this thread, linked threads and necessary downloads, etc. because I'm planning on buying a 1201N when I get my tax returns (should be end of the month or beginning of Feb, like last year) as long as it's still available on Amazon.

I want to thank you guys for providing information and to Meklort for creating the Netbookmaker. Has anyone figured out or found a better solution for the sound and/or the wired ethernet? Ethernet isn't a huge deal. But I listen to a lot of music, but I suppose I can pick up an ipod to plug my speakers into and just play from that until something better than Voodoo is put together if it's really that unbearable. But I like system sounds... like Mail and iChat notifications.

Lastly... amf5's extras folder is different from Meklort's. I assume I should just use a kext utility to install the ones missing from Meklort's?

I actually completely removed Merklort's kexts and replaced them with the ones I posted in the zip file (some of Merklort's either didn't work with 10.6.2 or were outdated), so I suggest just completely removing his.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get sound working properly without VoodooHDA but I'm really busy these days and would really appreciate it if someone would help out.