Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

smafia

amf5 - that voodoohda game me a kernel panic. :( Something to do with io audio or something like that.

Did you remove AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E before install VooodooHDA? AppleHDA+VoodooHDA = Kernel Panic.

amf5, your Voodoo in first run time is realy good work, but after restart ....... it's realy worse then previously version. Thank you for your work, but sound is realy problem of this device.

ok guys...just registered so first thing..hello everyone!

I'm really thinking about buying this 1201n

I'm not a complete noob but I'm a noob with macosx

if I buy this great netbook will I be able to easily install mac osx on it? is there any hardware needed? any other thing?

could you please post a noob-proof guide to perform the installation?

Welcome, I think this system (1201N) will make a fine Hackintosh, but they are no where near a noob-proof guide stage as of yet. The best thing you can do it to read the thread from start to finish and then see if you want to join in or wait until such time that there is a guide available. HTH

I use 0313 BIOS version, but another BIOS version is not big problem, you need patch HPET, RTC0, TMR and PIC with IRQ, and delete Alias in CPU part. When you start AppleHpet.kext in system, then you can delete NullCPU.....kext in Extra. If my Extra interesting for you, you can see it here. S/L/E is not modify.

Can you please post your /Extra folder with DSDT to site like MediaFire which we can access? I don't speak the language at all, but it appears to be asking for a username and password. Thanks!

Good news, everyone!

I finally got a build of VoodooHDA to work that doesn't sound completely horrible. It's not perfect, but it's definitely much much better than anything else I've tried so far. I'm still working on getting audio via AppleHDA, but for now I suggest using this (install to /System/Library/Extensions/).

Note: I haven't tried HDMI out with this yet, but it looks like it should work. I can confirm that sleep works without corruption on wake, though! :)

set the midi 44100Hz, 16bit, multiple channel speaker

it's better now, but there are still some noise

i notice that the sound is better when the CPU usage keep 100% (ex. play youtube film)

and this version of voodooHDA is not stable in 64bit SL (kernel panic)

vince22[/b], size of the RAM appears in DSDT, and if you change RAM without editing DSDT, you will have error like non-working PS2 ports (where work mouse(touchpad) and keyboard) and other. You need get new DSDT from bios (with new RAM size) and patch them.

Thanks, just made a new dsdt and patch it, it's working now....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/...143288/sizes/l/

Thanks, just made a new dsdt and patch it, it's working now....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/...143288/sizes/l/

Vince22,

I've been following the thread and it looks like you have had success with 4GB now. I have installed the extra RAM too but am having keyboard/touchpad problems. Would you mind sharing your DSDT and Extra folder contents please (are you are using Merklort's)? I was able to get everything installed but the keyboard works until I touch the touchpad and then both stop working. I've tried Kosterin's and amf5's Extra but the problem persists. Using SL with kernel hack.

Thanks.

Finally I could boot via usb into the Snow Leopard installation, using meklort's /Extra folder and modifying the "com.apple.Boot.plist" so that it boots in i386 (arch=i386). But now I've got a problem, I start installing it and everything seems to work fine, until it says that 11 minutes are remaining. It can be a whole night saying that there 11 minutes left. So I tried to quit the installer and try to boot with Snow Leopard OS but it doesn't load. Any suggestion? Do I have to patch anything?

Thanks.

That happened to me except it got stuck at 8 minutes... for me i just shut my computer off, started up the install dvd again, and then install chameleon using netbook installer. then everything worked perfectly.

for audio with voodoohda i got a kernel panic (no applehda too) but on second boot worked fine. w.e.

Finally have the extra $$$ in my paycheck tomorrow to pull the trigger and order a 1201N. I didn't want to transfer from savings as I already have 2 other netbooks. I hope to be joining in the fun soon!

Well I ordered a 1201n and it came in today. I also ordered 4GB DDR2-800 ram and a Scorpio Black 320GB hard drive to go along with the Dell 1510 wifi card swap. Although I wonder if swapping parts out before an initial power test is considered a bad thing? :( Unfortunately the card won't arrive until sometime next week so I will hold off on installing SL until then as a netbook w/o internet is useless to me. Until we get the audio situation figured out would we not be able to hook up the creative go (i think its called this) and run the audio from the usb to a set of headphones or portable speakers if need be?

Well I ordered a 1201n and it came in today. I also ordered 4GB DDR2-800 ram and a Scorpio Black 320GB hard drive to go along with the Dell 1510 wifi card swap. Although I wonder if swapping parts out before an initial power test is considered a bad thing? :) Unfortunately the card won't arrive until sometime next week so I will hold off on installing SL until then as a netbook w/o internet is useless to me. Until we get the audio situation figured out would we not be able to hook up the creative go (i think its called this) and run the audio from the usb to a set of headphones or portable speakers if need be?

You should be able to use a USB audio card just fine - I just tried a Creative SoundBlaster Live! USB I had laying around and it worked just fine.

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to you guys until now, but I'm not running into the same issues as you guys are with the VoodooHDA kext I posted earlier - it's working fine for me (although it is a bit staticy), but it loads just fine under the i386 kernel and I did not remove AppleHDA - it just works. Unfortunately, though, I don't know enough about how it works to tell you guys what's going wrong - sorry. :D

I actually find that it helps to do a combo update of 10.6.2 after you mess around with kexts in S/L/E, but YMMV.

As a side note though, my Dell 1510 came in today and installing it was pretty easy - it shouldn't be a problem for you if you're careful.

For information. DSDT table in 0318 BIOS equal DSDT in 0313 (i compare 2 files in TextMate), so my DSDT patch can be used in all BIOS version after 0313.

If you add next patch to DSDT, your Asus 1201n will go to sleep after closing netbook:

Device (PNLF)
{
        Name(_HID, EisaId("APP0002"))
        Name(_CID, "backlight")
        Name(_UID, 0x0A)
        Name(_STA, 0x0B)
}

Thanks Kosterin for posting your DSDT with 4 cores working. It worked for me, and battery info is now working too. I'm totally new with DSDT's, but trying to learn. Could anyone please explain how/where I would add the above change into Kosterin's initial DSDT, and how to change it to recognize 4GB memory?

Here's what I've done so far:

Initial install with meklort's NBI method. Had to patch the boot.plist with arch=i386 to boot from HD.

Ran all Apple updates. (64 bit not imp. to me)

Installed Voodoo HDA from amf5's post.

Took Kosterin's DSDT text attachment and compiled with iASL me, and replaced meklort's DSDT.

Deleted out nullcpupower kext & both apple hda's from meklor's extras.

Seems really stable now, but sound is very low and still rather scratchy. Appreciate everyones help so far.

Well surprisingly the dell 1510 wifi card showed up today and I decided to make a go at getting everything installed. All in all the hardest part was separating the upper case from the bottom section to access the actual board contents. booted back into bios and it reports 4GB of ram and shows the 320gb hard drive. Have to wait now until I can get access to a mac with either 10.5 or preferably 10.6 which I might be able to do tomorrow.

WmMays, if you can post new DSDT with 4 GB RAM, then i can do 2 versions of my dsdt for netbook with 2 GB RAM and with 4 GB RAM.

three different place

< OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x6FF9E064, 0xFF)

---

> OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xCFF9E064, 0xFF)

< OperationRegion (RAMW, SystemMemory, 0x6FF9E064, 0x00010000)

---

> OperationRegion (RAMW, SystemMemory, 0xCFFF0000, 0x00010000)

< OperationRegion (RAMW, SystemMemory, 0x6FF9E064, 0x00010000)

---

> OperationRegion (RAMW, SystemMemory, 0xCFFF0000, 0x00010000)

Well surprisingly the dell 1510 wifi card showed up today and I decided to make a go at getting everything installed. All in all the hardest part was separating the upper case from the bottom section to access the actual board contents. booted back into bios and it reports 4GB of ram and shows the 320gb hard drive. Have to wait now until I can get access to a mac with either 10.5 or preferably 10.6 which I might be able to do tomorrow.

Well I got the usb stick made with the image restore done on a 10.6 macbook pro and then ran notebookmaker and at first during boot it gives me an error saying "can't patch 64-bit kernal" but then it goes right into the install option and asks for language. Most of the time it freezes there and I can't do anything but just a second ago it let me choose english with the keyboard (no mouse/trackpad) and then it gets stuck immediately after. Any ideas?

EDIT: Well I am working around the issue by using an external mouse and keyboard. I will try to get the files above where the explanation of the non working keyboard and mouse and try those if it installs and lets me connect online. My only question here is that neither have ever worked inside osx. The keyboard works in bios and on the language selection screen but nothing beyond that. Any ideas? I installed the ps2 set of kext files but nothing as of the immediate reboot. I tried to only install those as the last time I tried to install all I had a kernal panic from the sleep kext and had to reload os.

Thanks,

Matt

Well I got the usb stick made with the image restore done on a 10.6 macbook pro and then ran notebookmaker and at first during boot it gives me an error saying "can't patch 64-bit kernal" but then it goes right into the install option and asks for language. Most of the time it freezes there and I can't do anything but just a second ago it let me choose english with the keyboard (no mouse/trackpad) and then it gets stuck immediately after. Any ideas?

EDIT: Well I am working around the issue by using an external mouse and keyboard. I will try to get the files above where the explanation of the non working keyboard and mouse and try those if it installs and lets me connect online. My only question here is that neither have ever worked inside osx. The keyboard works in bios and on the language selection screen but nothing beyond that. Any ideas? I installed the ps2 set of kext files but nothing as of the immediate reboot. I tried to only install those as the last time I tried to install all I had a kernal panic from the sleep kext and had to reload os.

Thanks,

Matt

The bootloader that's included with NBI attempts to patch around the Atom issue in 10.6.2 on-the-fly, but unfortunately it's not very good at doing so. You're going to want to grab a better bootloader (personally I use PCEFI 10.5 but anything will work) and this kernel.

Secondly, the kexts that meklort used in his NBI for the trackpad and keyboard are not 64-bit, so you're going to have to boot with "arch=i386" if you want to use them.

The bootloader that's included with NBI attempts to patch around the Atom issue in 10.6.2 on-the-fly, but unfortunately it's not very good at doing so. You're going to want to grab a better bootloader (personally I use PCEFI 10.5 but anything will work) and this kernel.

Secondly, the kexts that meklort used in his NBI for the trackpad and keyboard are not 64-bit, so you're going to have to boot with "arch=i386" if you want to use them.

How do you have your netbook setup? How did you go about install and do you have a way to create a nbm like meklort did? How would I set arch=i386?

How do you have your netbook setup? How did you go about install and do you have a way to create a nbm like meklort did? How would I set arch=i386?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1389152

I've since fixed a few things in DSDT and have changed a few kexts around so that zip is a bit outdated, but if you download the file I attached to that post you should be able to get up and running, even if you used merlort's installer - once you're at 10.6 (using his install method) just delete /Extra and replace it with the one in the zip file, then update to 10.6.2.

Again, you'll need the patched kernel I linked to in my previous post for 10.6.2 to work though, but you shouldn't run into any other problems.

For the sake of clarity. Can I get checklist of what works and the status of a fix for things that don't?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1380503

Like I said earlier, I've since fixed a few things but that's basically still where we're at.

Also, for what it's worth, I just tried HDMI out and it works, although sound doesn't seem to be passing through. This might be because I have VoodooHDA loaded for the internal speakers, so if anyone else could try this without VoodooHDA being loaded it'd be appreciated.

Also, for what it's worth, I just tried HDMI out and it works, although sound doesn't seem to be passing through. This might be because I have VoodooHDA loaded for the internal speakers, so if anyone else could try this without VoodooHDA being loaded it'd be appreciated.

Just curious if you tried v2.53 of VoodooHDA as it is available. I noticed the version you posted as almost perfect was 2.52. Mine is supposed to be here no later than Tuesday, but hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1389152

I've since fixed a few things in DSDT and have changed a few kexts around so that zip is a bit outdated, but if you download the file I attached to that post you should be able to get up and running, even if you used merlort's installer - once you're at 10.6 (using his install method) just delete /Extra and replace it with the one in the zip file, then update to 10.6.2.

Again, you'll need the patched kernel I linked to in my previous post for 10.6.2 to work though, but you shouldn't run into any other problems.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1380503

Like I said earlier, I've since fixed a few things but that's basically still where we're at.

Found the /extra folder however can't find a way to delete it.The best I was able to do was drag and drop the contents into a seperate new folder on the desktop and copy/paste your files into it. Once we replace the folder though do we still need to run the other file included in the zip? Also updating to 10.6.2 anything we need to do other than just download the file? I thought I read somewhere about deleting the sleep kext but wanted to make sure. After this finishes we need to upload the patched kernel before reboot correct? For this do we just move it to the desktop and click the file to run it?

Thanks relatively new to macs.