Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

So I just got my 1201n and just had a couple questions...

First off there is no solution for the audio correct? or if there is how might i go about fixing it?

Second, I got all the way to the installing screen and it got down to about 8 minutes and then it says Install Failed. Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer.

This might be because I did not find a way to change to AHCI in the bios so i just left it as IDE. If that is the problem then could someone please help me change to AHCI.

Next, the onboard wifi card doesn't work correct? so i should buy the dell 1510 correct for $40 off of dell's website (or is there a cheaper place)

Thank you all very much for all of your hard work now if you would just help me out so we all can enjoy our 1201's! :)

Audio sounds crappy for some better for others, it is being addressed. The thread is only a few pages so read it from front to back see the progression.

The installer usually doesn't even get that far so you are lucky. That message just means that OS X is not able to locate a bootable partition because this isn't a Mac. Just go ahead and reboot.

Onboard wifi NO, 1510 YES, Ebay is cheaper.

On behalf of the others who have done most of the work, you're welcome. :)

@amf5: no go on sound improvement for me. No change at all. I'm thinking it's time for a re-install to start fresh. I've tried so many things that I've probably got something screwed up. BTW, I had my first trackpad lockup. I ran Kext Utility to fix it. I should have tried your script but I forgot about it. I knew it was caused by so many kext changes, etc.

Audio sounds crappy for some better for others, it is being addressed. The thread is only a few pages so read it from front to back see the progression.

The installer usually doesn't even get that far so you are lucky. That message just means that OS X is not able to locate a bootable partition because this isn't a Mac. Just go ahead and reboot.

Onboard wifi NO, 1510 YES, Ebay is cheaper.

On behalf of the others who have done most of the work, you're welcome. :)

@amf5: no go on sound improvement for me. No change at all. I'm thinking it's time for a re-install to start fresh. I've tried so many things that I've probably got something screwed up. BTW, I had my first trackpad lockup. I ran Kext Utility to fix it. I should have tried your script but I forgot about it. I knew it was caused by so many kext changes, etc.

Alright thank you for getting back to me...Does it have to be the 1510 or are there better cards out there now? I saw on ebay the 1515?! And so i should just change the bootup drive to my hard drive? Because when i tried to do that i got some error that it couldn't do that. Or do i just need to reboot and not worry about it?

There's really no reason to use the 64-bit kernel on a netbook. The majority of actual Macs running Snow Leopard can't use it either, so don't feel left out or anything.

Thanks, I'll stick with 32bit then.

weidscreen,

And so i should just change the bootup drive to my hard drive? Because when i tried to do that i got some error that it couldn't do that. Or do i just need to reboot and not worry about it?

Can you be more specific exactly what your're doing?

Alright thank you for getting back to me...Does it have to be the 1510 or are there better cards out there now? I saw on ebay the 1515?! And so i should just change the bootup drive to my hard drive? Because when i tried to do that i got some error that it couldn't do that. Or do i just need to reboot and not worry about it?

Yeah, leave the flash drive in and restart. You will have to press and hold the power button to do so as shutdown and restart don't work at this point. When it comes back up to the gui menu press a key and cursor over to the hard drive to boot from it.

I don't know about the 1515, the 1510 I know works so I would stick with it.

That MIDI setup app in the utilities folder did quite a trick. Thanks for pointing to where it is.

I like to listen to talk radio and this makes it sound like a slightly staticy radio station, so i can tolerate it quite well.

For anyone who needs help with installing Snow Leopard on the 1201N, I've written a simple guide which contains links to all the files you need to do the install. You will need an 8 Gb or larger bootable USB flash drive and a Mac or Hackintosh system to prepare the flash drive on. You can find this guide here. I welcome any comments or suggestions on this guide as well. Good luck, HTH.

@amf5: I've re-read the thread again, seems like I've done that a few times already, but each time I find something I missed. I think I'm using a different kernel than you are. I'm using the one from 10.6.2, could that be why our sound is different and why I get a KP when I install VoodooHDA? I may go back and redo again. I just need to copy the boot file for PC EFI 10.5 to be active, right?

Here's my Extra folder in case anyone wants it (includes patched DSDT, SMBIOS.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist).

hello guys,

last year I coped with the challenge to get an eeePC 1000H running smoothly under a triple boot system (Seven, Snow 10.6.1, Leopard 10.5.8). it works fine.

now I wanted to do the same thing with my brand new 1201N bought saturday.

I read all the posts here, I printed them (yes, 82 pages...), I slept with them.

10.6.1 update issue

Finally I proceeded with MEKLORT's method and I got now a 1201N with GUID partition system, Seven and Snow Leopard (dual boot). New wifi card BCM 94322 is ordered. Thank you for your help!

I installed the 10.6.1 update. afterwards the system is rebooting and does loops by initializing endlessly the desktop screen and elements. Reboot on MEKLORT's USB stick -> Utilities -> NetbokInstaller -> uncheck specific DSDT file -> Install -> reboot without the stick and your system should run on 10.6.1 properly.

question:

1. Extra: The downloadable /Extra folder from MEKLORT is about 40 Mb, the one installed on the hard disk is about 30 Mb. Is there a need / advantage to replace the hard disk extra folder by the last posted one? Before or after dong the 10.6.1 update?

2. 10.6.2: Could you give a piece of advice to newbees like me how to proceed towards a running 10.6.2 system?

3. Are there kexts and elements that I could use and install from AMF5 or KOSTERIN or others without using their whole Extra folders (because this killed my machine several times...)?

4. Following MEKLORT's way: is there a way to fix the "about this mac" informations and the shut down problem (doesn't, reboot neither)?

5. 32/64 bit: if I understood well the posts above, all solutions (MEKLORT AMF5, KOSTERIN...) will take us to a 32 bit system? there is no way to get an 64 bit driven 1201N on 10.6.2?

thanks for your answers, I'm looking forward to read them.

bye,

1201snow, europe

dear MOSSLACK,

I've seen the install guide that you wrote, thanks, good idea.

It seems to me that the NBI and the NBM are the ones that will lead you on MEKLORT's way.

I did the 10.6.1 update (post above, nobody talks about it) - this isn't necessary when you will use the 10.6.2 combo update, right?

At the end of your guide, I'm lost... can't understand how to proceed (steps, order) with AMF5's Extra folder (crashed down my MEKLORT's system several times), the script (I never had a problem with my keyboard/touchpad), the 10.6.2 combo update and the russian kernel patch script...

thanks for your help

have a good day

1201snow, europe

by the way

Asus 1201N wifi wireless network card

Realtek RTL 8191 SE

just to save your time:

I tried the kexts and drivers that can be found for the 818x and the 819x family for Leopard (in MSI Wind forums and so on),

sometimes called "Realtek_RTL8187SE_MacOS10.5_Driver_073_UI_1.6.2"

nothing worked for me

this card definitely doesn't work under OSX

I ordered a Broadcom BCM 94322 half size card (ebay hongkong, hard to find, but I contacted a seller called EASTAR4, price is about 21 Euros, less than the half of Dell's spare part price (called Dell 1510 ref. 555-11492).

Hope this will help you to get yours.

bye,

1201snow, europe

mosslack, if you disable both audio input in Audio MIDI Setup then noise will decrease.

I tried to patch AppleHDA.kext, and I have not get working version, but if somebody interesting how insert HDEF in DSDT (Enable HDA in DSDT without HDAEnable.kext), I can public DSDT patch.

If somebody have successful patch for AppleHDA.kext, I can help in further configuration

P/S/ Now i disable sound on my 1201N at all in Mac Os X.

dear MOSSLACK,

I've seen the install guide that you wrote, thanks, good idea.

<SNIP>

by the way

Asus 1201N wifi wireless network card

<More Snipage>

1201snow, europe

Okay, here is the thing with the guide, it takes you from meklort's install method and at the end we switch to amf5's files for the update to 10.6.2. From there you pretty much have to read this thread from the point the guide takes you to get up to speed with any other improvements made to the system.

IOW, the guide is a VERY BASIC tutorial on how to get up to the same point where everyone else it at. If you follow the guide, you need to do it verbatim and don't mix and match parts from any other installs, else you will end up with many problems.

BTW, if you read this thread from day one and are trying to do those steps along the way while following the guide you will have problems, I can't mention this enough as too many people are trying to do this and it's very confusing to say the least.

As to your other comments, yes, I too tried the Realtek utility and driver for the 8187 and no it doesn't work. If anyone buys the Dell 1510 card I suggest getting it from Ebay as that is about half Dell's price also. BTW, congrats on your purchase of the 1201N, I think it will make the most excellent Hackintosh netbook ever once all the bugs are worked out.

mosslack, if you disable both audio input in Audio MIDI Setup then noise will decrease.

I tried to patch AppleHDA.kext, and I have not get working version, but if somebody interesting how insert HDEF in DSDT (Enable HDA in DSDT without HDAEnable.kext), I can public DSDT patch.

If somebody have successful patch for AppleHDA.kext, I can help in further configuration

I will try that and see if it helps. I also need to update to amf5's kernel as this may be part of my problem. And I think if anyone ever does discover the way to patch the DSDT for AppleHDA this will be the cure for sound that everyone has hoped for.

I read the guide by the King and he seems to know what he is talking about, but I just haven't had time to try any of those methods yet. Just not enough hours in the day it seems.

Most happy to report that I have switched to the patched kernel and the sound has improved greatly. It is still a good bit scratchy when playing mp3's, but watching music videos on YouTube sounds very clear. Also updated to PC EFI 10.5, but I'm not really clear on the reason for this. What are the advantages?

You can try using the dumps I made in this post, but I wasn't able to get it to work either. The code I put into the DSDT was basically the same as any other DSDT audio patches, but I inserted the PCI subvendor ID instead of whatever was there by default.

Most happy to report that I have switched to the patched kernel and the sound has improved greatly. It is still a good bit scratchy when playing mp3's, but watching music videos on YouTube sounds very clear. Also updated to PC EFI 10.5, but I'm not really clear on the reason for this. What are the advantages?

The kernel I'm using is just teateam's Atom kernel patched to make the Atom 330 appear as a Core 2 Duo instead of a Core Solo that lacks, well, dual core capability (and 64-bit compatibility). I'm not sure what bootloader you were using before, but PC-EFI has a few advantages over Chameleon (or at least it did, I haven't compared the two in a few months).

As far as digging through the thread to find a bunch of conflicting information - I agree, as a generalization (not directed at you), honestly, someone should just make a new thread for the 1201N since there's a great deal of information buried in here that's obviously not being read.

As far as digging through the thread to find a bunch of conflicting information - I agree, as a generalization (not directed at you), honestly, someone should just make a new thread for the 1201N since there's a great deal of information buried in here that's obviously not being read.

They tried that on the HP Mini 311 thread and it didn't really work. Ended up with 3 threads and mass confusion. This one is not too bad by comparison, not that many pages right now to go through. I think the problem is people go through and pick and choose which stuff they want to try and it doesn't always work with the install method they used. That was my attempt with the guide to get people up to speed quicker with what actually works.

BTW, I found a really cool wallpaper for this system, if interested you can see it here:

http://img2.socwall.com/Buildings/Cityscap...093407-9709.jpg

Okay, I am in the process of starting a new thread, so please be patient. I am also in the process of installing Windows 7 on my 1201N. So I am using this opportunity to solicit ideas and suggestions for the first post, what it should contain, etc. So let the games begin! ;)

The new thread is here, it's not much as I am waiting for all those suggestions to roll in.

Great sounds good! I have mine dual booting using easybcd and it's really nice. Can't wait for my wireless card to actually get here so i can use the hackintosh side of things.

Please keep up the good work and good luck figuring out all of the bugs!

Sweet, you went from all those problems to dual booting, not bad. Why Easy BCD, do you think it works better? I used it for awhile but went back to Chameleon.

Suggestions for first post

What works

What doesn't work

Dell 1510 Wireless card link

Bigger link to googlegroup how to, direct people there

Will add shortly, still playing with Windows 7. Thanks!

Some of you guys check this thing as I am just copying stuff from this thread and may get some info wrong. How about for the 1510 card a link to Dell and Ebay? I have the link to my guide listed, but I can make it better if you think it needs to be.

For anyone who needs help with installing Snow Leopard on the 1201N, I've written a simple guide which contains links to all the files you need to do the install. You will need an 8 Gb or larger bootable USB flash drive and a Mac or Hackintosh system to prepare the flash drive on. You can find this guide here. I welcome any comments or suggestions on this guide as well. Good luck, HTH.

I wanted to say thank you for the guide. It's a great help for us newbies to the mac world. I am following it so that I can update to 10.6.2.

I came across something that I bet i prolly did something wrong. but in the guide you say:

For this step, I have simply copied amf5's instructions from the thread. DO NOT reboot until you have updated your system to 10.6.2:

For those of you not being able to use the trackpad/keyboard after a reboot, I've attached my Extra folder and a script I wrote that'll automate a few commands that should help you be able to use them again. This will only work if you have an /Extra/Extensions folder on your OS X partition. It will not work if you boot from an EFI partition.

Instructions:

1. For simplicity, delete your existing /Extra folder (the whole thing) and replace it with the one I included in the zip file.

2. Open Terminal and cd to the directory where you extracted the zip file.

3. Enter chmod +x updatext and then sudo mv updatext /usr/bin/

4. Finally, you should be able to just type in "updatext" in Terminal. Your computer should automatically reboot.

When I get to the 2nd part of step 3 i get the following : _cfgethostuuidstring unable to determine uuid

And after I run updatext, it goes into a KP on reboot. I replaced the Extra's directory on my hard drive with the one in the zip file. And Is there something I did wrong?

Actually we need to ask amf5 about this as I had the same error message. I just basically ignored it and went on to the next step. Luckily I had no problems. Since then I have added the PlatformUUID.kext to my /Extra folder and no longer get that error when using sudo in Terminal.

Forgot to add, running Kext Utility will do the same thing, it just takes a bit longer. HTH