Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

working on extracting meklorts files.

will then try for 10.6.2.

same as above, touch pad works (no three finger right click), wifi swap(1510), shutdown, quartz enabled.

no sound, or restart, and sleep not too good.

no vga on the monitors i have tried.

have not tried the hdmi.

THANKS EVERYBODY!

i don't know whether the patched AppleHDA.kext still work in 10.6

i try to patch that

sound of voodooHDA is terrible..........

It seems no-one got the ALC269 chip working on leopard either. There was a bunch of people working on it over here, but the last post was over a year ago

It seems no-one got the ALC269 chip working on leopard either. There was a bunch of people working on it over here, but the last post was over a year ago

The ALC269 does work in both Leo and SL as I had both installed on my OCZ Neutrino and it worked fine. The problem is that the 1201N may be using the ALC885 for onboard sound and the ALC269 for HDMI. No one that I know of has nailed this down for certain, but I believe meklort said some time ago that he felt this is the way it was. Perhaps if someone were to boot up a live linux distro we could find out for sure. HTH

The ALC269 does work in both Leo and SL as I had both installed on my OCZ Neutrino and it worked fine. The problem is that the 1201N may be using the ALC885 for onboard sound and the ALC269 for HDMI. No one that I know of has nailed this down for certain, but I believe meklort said some time ago that he felt this is the way it was. Perhaps if someone were to boot up a live linux distro we could find out for sure. HTH

Hmm, I thought it was the other way round, that the 885 is HDMI, and 269 is internal? Has anyone double-checked this in the stock Windows 7 even, maybe disable the HDMI and see which is the active chipset? Mine's arriving in a week, so if no-one has done it by then, I'll have a look, both with Windows and Linux

I believe amf5 said he thought it was the other way around, but he wasn't sure either. That is why it would be most helpful if someone could boot up a live linux distro and see what it reports. BTW, here is another ref to the ALC269 working on the Eee PC.

@Rasengan: I see you are in the same boat I am, not having an actual system to join in the fun with sucks! Just curious, where did you order yours from? I see the price on Amazon is down to $484 now and NewEgg is down to $489.99. I plan to order mine this coming Friday and I will be ordering from NewEgg provided the price stays the same. I get things from NewEgg much quicker and it's worth the extra few $$$ it will cost.

Yaaahuuuu! I start all 2 cores + 2 hyperthreading cores in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 without NullCPUPowerManagment.kext. I work wirk HPET, use The King DSDT patch with Slow SATA and edit CPU part.

4280092916_deec3d4ffa_b.jpg

I use Tea patched kernel 10.2 for Atom and my dsdt (DSDT.DSL)

HPET - work

Shutdown/Restart/Sleep - work

P.S. Sorry, my English is very bad, but i think that it is interesting for somebody.

I believe amf5 said he thought it was the other way around, but he wasn't sure either. That is why it would be most helpful if someone could boot up a live linux distro and see what it reports. BTW, here is another ref to the ALC269 working on the Eee PC.

@Rasengan: I see you are in the same boat I am, not having an actual system to join in the fun with sucks! Just curious, where did you order yours from? I see the price on Amazon is down to $484 now and NewEgg is down to $489.99. I plan to order mine this coming Friday and I will be ordering from NewEgg provided the price stays the same. I get things from NewEgg much quicker and it's worth the extra few $$$ it will cost.

I did a group order with 2 of my friends so save on shipping, as we're getting them sent to Ireland (saving 100 euro on ordering from Europe). We ordered them from eXcaliberPC.com

But yeah, not getting to play sucks, but I had an MSI Wind previously, so this will be mostly familiar territory for me, just itching to get playing lol. I hope to maybe start a focused thread for it when I get mine, start working on DSDT patches, etc

Yaaahuuuu! I start all 2 cores + 2 hyperthreading cores in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 without NullCPUPowerManagment.kext. I work wirk HPET, use The King DSDT patch with Slow SATA and edit CPU part.

4280092916_deec3d4ffa_b.jpg

I use Tea patched kernel 10.2 for Atom and my dsdt (DSDT.DSL)

HPET - work

Shutdown/Restart/Sleep - work

P.S. Sorry, my English is very bad, but i think that it is interesting for somebody.

Quick question, what BIOS version did you make that DSDT from? DSDT's can vary from BIOS versions, so I'd just like to know, in case I update to a later version when I get mine lol. Also, you're saying this will load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement just fine, you don't need Disabler or NullCPUPoweranagement, right?

Is it possible to run 3gb-4gb ram with this Asus 1201n, just tried with 2 sticks of 2gb 800mhz each, boots fine but mouse and keyboard is not working with SL 6.1 and meklort extra files... thanks.

I did a group order with 2 of my friends so save on shipping, as we're getting them sent to Ireland (saving 100 euro on ordering from Europe). We ordered them from eXcaliberPC.com

But yeah, not getting to play sucks, but I had an MSI Wind previously, so this will be mostly familiar territory for me, just itching to get playing lol. I hope to maybe start a focused thread for it when I get mine, start working on DSDT patches, etc

Quick question, what BIOS version did you make that DSDT from? DSDT's can vary from BIOS versions, so I'd just like to know, in case I update to a later version when I get mine lol. Also, you're saying this will load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement just fine, you don't need Disabler or NullCPUPoweranagement, right?

Looks like some nice progress has been happening. Unfortunately I've been busy the past two weeks (work), but I should be able to help out again this week (school is starting). As for the audio, the bios tells you that the 885 is for the speakers (I believe). Boot to it and it should say where you can enable / disable it.

Okay, I don't have my 1201N yet, but I do have a friend who has one and he says this is what is listed in the BIOS:

AZALIA AUDIO Enabled/Disabled

Text at the right states ...

Internal codec is included in chipset it is for HDMI AUDIO functions

External codec is onboard codec ex. ALC885 ...

I take this to mean that the external codec could be an ALC885, but not for certain. This was his take on it as well. I still think a boot into a Linux live distro will shed more light on the subject. I don't really see how work on audio can proceed until you know exactly what you are working with. JMHO

As I stated earlier, I don't have mine yet, but a friend reported his findings. I asked what version he is using, but so far he has not gotten back with me. I'll edit this post as soon as he does.

EDIT:

ASUS 1201N ACPI BIOS Revision 0317

Core Version 0317

Build Date 12/19/09

EC Firmware Version ECPD-032

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my other post, but I'm 100% positive the ALC269 is used as the onboard codec. The only thing I wasn't sure about was what exactly the ALC885 was used for, but I guessed it was for HDMI (and it looks like I was right :P).

Kind of frustrating dealing with all of this without actually having the machine in front of me, but the more of this which actually gets solved the easier it will be once it arrives. If the fix for the 1000 series Eee PC (which also has the ALC269) doesn't fix it then it's more likely a mapping problem which will have to be resolved in the DSDT. So until mine arrives I will have to be content to just read about the progress you all are making. Good luck.

For information. DSDT table in 0318 BIOS equal DSDT in 0313 (i compare 2 files in TextMate), so my DSDT patch can be used in all BIOS version after 0313.

If you add next patch to DSDT, your Asus 1201n will go to sleep after closing netbook:

Device (PNLF)
{
        Name(_HID, EisaId("APP0002"))
        Name(_CID, "backlight")
        Name(_UID, 0x0A)
        Name(_STA, 0x0B)
}

Hi! I'm new in here and I'm a proud owner of an Asus 1201N. I'm trying to install Hackintosh via usb on my netbook with a retail Leopard dvd. I applied meklort's extras and the Netbookbootinstaller. When I boot pressing "esc" via usb it loads chameleon and I press enter, and then I type: -f -x -v. It seems to boot, but it gets stucked at the grey apple. In verbose mode displays the next message:

npvhash=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 441840 free pages and 16912 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

Error: Uncompressed file is not the length recorded.

Error: couldn't uncompress plist file from multikext archive entry 0.

Any idea? Any solution in mind? Thanks!

Kind of frustrating dealing with all of this without actually having the machine in front of me, but the more of this which actually gets solved the easier it will be once it arrives. If the fix for the 1000 series Eee PC (which also has the ALC269) doesn't fix it then it's more likely a mapping problem which will have to be resolved in the DSDT. So until mine arrives I will have to be content to just read about the progress you all are making. Good luck.

Mosslack, Please kindly check if you will be able to run 3gb or 4gb ram installed, Im stuck, don't know what to do, mouse and keyboard not responding at all, usb mouse and usb keyboard is fine though with 4gb ram installed.

AFAIK, the Asus 1201N will support up to 8 Gb of RAM and I know that Snow Leopard supports that much as that is what I have in my GA-EP45-UD3P system. I currently have 3 Gb in my HP Mini 311 with the single core N270 Atom and it works great. I did hear some talk earlier in the thread about this system not being able to handle 4 Gb, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed. If it were my system I would remove one stick of RAM and see what happens. If that fixes it then I would suspect either a bad stick of RAM or the system won't handle that much. What fixes have you tried?

EDIT: Just had another thought, I had a problem with my Mini 311 where the KB and trackpad did not respond, it happened after I changed some kext around and it turned out the mkext file needed to be rebuilt. Try running Kext Utility to see if that fixes it. Did for me.

Good news, everyone!

I finally got a build of VoodooHDA to work that doesn't sound completely horrible. It's not perfect, but it's definitely much much better than anything else I've tried so far. I'm still working on getting audio via AppleHDA, but for now I suggest using this (install to /System/Library/Extensions/).

Note: I haven't tried HDMI out with this yet, but it looks like it should work. I can confirm that sleep works without corruption on wake, though! :)

VoodooHDA.zip

For those of you not being able to use the trackpad/keyboard after a reboot, I've attached my Extra folder and a script I wrote that'll automate a few commands that should help you be able to use them again. This will only work if you have an /Extra/Extensions folder on your OS X partition. It will not work if you boot from an EFI partition.

Instructions:

1. For simplicity, delete your existing /Extra folder (the whole thing) and replace it with the one I included in the zip file.

2. Open Terminal and cd to the directory where you extracted the zip file.

3. Enter chmod +x updatext and then sudo mv updatext /usr/bin/

4. Finally, you should be able to just type in "updatext" in Terminal. Your computer should automatically reboot.

After this, your keyboard and trackpad should be functional - although admittedly I've never had the keyboard stop working, just the trackpad. However, the advantage of installing this script is that any time it stops working (for example, after booting with -f), I can just run the script and it starts working again.

1201N.zip

I finally got a build of VoodooHDA to work that doesn't sound completely horrible.

It's realy good news! amf5, thank you. I will test this kext at the evening.

vince22, size of the RAM appears in DSDT, and if you change RAM without editing DSDT, you will have error like non-working PS2 ports (where work mouse(touchpad) and keyboard) and other. You need get new DSDT from bios (with new RAM size) and patch them.

ok guys...just registered so first thing..hello everyone!

I'm really thinking about buying this 1201n

I'm not a complete noob but I'm a noob with macosx

if I buy this great netbook will I be able to easily install mac osx on it? is there any hardware needed? any other thing?

could you please post a noob-proof guide to perform the installation?